Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

Just now, Volcano637 said:

But wait, everyone says the alphas will build back up in a week. How can they do that if thousands of people leave? 

Its either or not both. Both simply can't happen lol

Any tribes that have 3 or more people will be the dominant ones have free roam of the servers. Solo or duo tribes will not exist.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Paneross said:

Any tribes that have 3 or more people will be the dominant ones have free roam of the servers. Solo or duo tribes will not exist.

Well if that is true which I am fine with, I need you to help me with the people that say everything will be back to normal in a week because both of us know that is nowhere near close to being true

7 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Well if that is true which I am fine with, I need you to help me with the people that say everything will be back to normal in a week because both of us know that is nowhere near close to being true

They won't even need half the servers available for the amount of people that would leave. On my PvE server, promise you only 2 tribes both with 6+ members would come back, and they would instantly take over EVERY sought after spot. The is ZERO equal starts for smaller tribes if a wipe happens.

in my knowledge i heard that at least of friends they will just wipe the "dead" servers, the server where not many ppl playing on cuz of laggs or wipes or whatever and the other servers wont be wiped. in case there are too much players they should better make some more servers.

on the other side i think its an alpha game rn not even released even if we play it since years. and with the official release i have nothing against a full all server wipe for making it easier for new players to enjoy the game :P

kind regards (Y)

4 minutes ago, Paneross said:

They won't even need half the servers available for the amount of people that would leave. On my PvE server, promise you only 2 tribes both with 6+ members would come back, and they would instantly take over EVERY sought after spot. The is ZERO equal starts for smaller tribes if a wipe happens.

Could be true. Hopefully they just keep the same amount of servers there already are.

The fact that they can't say they won't wipe, at this current time, even though they have said they won't in the past, it leads me to believe there will be a wipe.

If they were certain there wouldn't be one as they have said in the past, the higher powers that be wouldn't be dancing around the question.

I mean guys. Do you even use your heads? We have seen the prices for full game. Some are expensive. What do you think will happen if there is no wipe and transfers are allowed to new servers? 

How much damage control will they need when mega tribes or simple trolls with resources start wiping all new players that are learning. Yes the age old argument "well they will still get wiped after two weeks". No duh. Except if wildcard wipes servers, or disables the transfers, they can say (to the new people)" well thanks for buying the $160 game version, sorry you guys keep getting wiped and trolled and pretty much can't play, but we gave everyone a fresh start, an equal chance."

Or we could not wipe and allow all transfers. Then when the brand new players keep getting wiped, they will ask "well why did you let the people with a 2 year head start have access to all servers? How are we supposed to compete or stay alive?" The Devs wouldn't have a good response because there isn't one.

So, which do you think the devs will do, you know, the people who want good reviews and to make a lot of money? Think they will hurt new players. Or help them? 

you'll always hurt people no matter what you do, either you wipe or you don't, if you wipe everyone loses their progress, I'm sure many will stop playing all together. and if they don't wipe there's going to be alot of trolling. I lean to not wiping for personal preference, I dislike having to build everything up again, but then again I'm on a PvE server.

on pvp it'll be lots harder :/

5 minutes ago, CriD said:

The fact that they can't say they won't wipe, at this current time, even though they have said they won't in the past, it leads me to believe there will be a wipe.

If they were certain there wouldn't be one as they have said in the past, the higher powers that be wouldn't be dancing around the question.

I mean guys. Do you even use your heads? We have seen the prices for full game. Some are expensive. What do you think will happen if there is no wipe and transfers are allowed to new servers? 

How much damage control will they need when mega tribes or simple trolls with resources start wiping all new players that are learning. Yes the age old argument "well they will still get wiped after two weeks". No duh. Except if wildcard wipes servers, or disables the transfers, they can say (to the new people)" well thanks for buying the $160 game version, sorry you guys keep getting wiped and trolled and pretty much can't play, but we gave everyone a fresh start, an equal chance."

Or we could not wipe and allow all transfers. Then when the brand new players keep getting wiped, they will ask "well why did you let the people with a 2 year head start have access to all servers? How are we supposed to compete or stay alive?" The Devs wouldn't have a good response because there isn't one.

So, which do you think the devs will do, you know, the people who want good reviews and to make a lot of money? Think they will hurt new players. Or help them? 

I was just about to say that but in less words lol 

could be the single most important piece of evidence out of all the stuff people are saying. Why say no and then say maybe? And since we are what people call the vocal minority it should be easy to say they wont if it won't make that many people mad. 

I was wondering why people couldn't see it either

I wanted to start a petition to wipe Ark Official servers upon release. I have played this game for hundreds and hundreds of hours and realize that the only way to succeed in this game and not be consistently wiped is to be in a massive tribe. If ark official servers are wiped this will provide a chance for new players to actually have a chance again, rather than ark just being controlled by a select few mega tribes. I've been in massive tribes like these and wonder, whats the point? They have already done everything there is to do. Nobody can oppose them because of their sheer strength. If official servers are wiped it will give players an actual chance to compete and have fun against other tribes, rather than just being crushed by a massive tribe. I realize this is a controversial topic and this is in no means meant to anger or offend people, rather its just a topic I wanted to discuss. 

13 hours ago, GP said:

The only reason Extinction servers are dead is because they forced them all to use PGM. That is the only reason they are dead, nothing to do with the wiping.

Yeah they used to be 70/70 first week when they ran the island map, it was one of my most fun ark experiences the months I spent on an extinction server 

8 hours ago, Tallon1515 said:

I wanted to start a petition to wipe Ark Official servers upon release. I have played this game for hundreds and hundreds of hours and realize that the only way to succeed in this game and not be consistently wiped is to be in a massive tribe. If ark official servers are wiped this will provide a chance for new players to actually have a chance again, rather than ark just being controlled by a select few mega tribes. I've been in massive tribes like these and wonder, whats the point? They have already done everything there is to do. Nobody can oppose them because of their sheer strength. If official servers are wiped it will give players an actual chance to compete and have fun against other tribes, rather than just being crushed by a massive tribe. I realize this is a controversial topic and this is in no means meant to anger or offend people, rather its just a topic I wanted to discuss. 

I feel like most everyone who is in favor of a wipe plays PVP and is tired of being dominated by alpha tribes.  The problem is if they do a wipe they'll most likely also wipe PVE servers which there is seriously no reason to do so.  And furthermore I have to say your argument seems very flawed. What part of starting over or a "fresh start" as other have labeled it will hold back the megatribes?  Tribe of 2 or 3 vs tribe of 15, Give them both a fresh start on the same server, In the end the big tribe still wins and dominates.   Everyone who wants to see big tribes start over is trying to address a failing in game balancing by hitting reset. Only reset just results in the same scenario that played out before.  All the big tribes and tribe alliances come right back into the game.   

If you want to change something about the way the game balances out something about the game has to be changed.  A wipe does not achieve this

I am more worried about the fact that WE STILL DON'T HAVE A QUEUE SYSTEM. I have horrible memories of the first month of ark ps4, where I could barely play the game and had to press x to join every 4 or 5 seconds for hours!!

Devs my little advice: DON'T RELEASE without a queue system! You will be destroyed by reviewers (ign, gamespot etc) and players if what happened on ps4 launch should happen again (with even more players).

18 hours ago, Paneross said:

Will server wipes help WC sell more copies of the game and make more money = not guaranteed.

Will server wipes hurt WC causing thousands of people to quit, and making those players leave horrible feedback and hurt sales and any future games & DLC they make = GUARANTEED.  ASSUMED

Pretty sure they don't want to lose money or potential future sales.

there's quite a few people here defending wiping

and, lots of people talk real big about quitting, but would still return because they realize they enjoy the game enough to start over

42 minutes ago, Thexone said:

I feel like most everyone who is in favor of a wipe plays PVP and is tired of being dominated by alpha tribes.  The problem is if they do a wipe they'll most likely also wipe PVE servers which there is seriously no reason to do so.  And furthermore I have to say your argument seems very flawed. What part of starting over or a "fresh start" as other have labeled it will hold back the megatribes?  Tribe of 2 or 3 vs tribe of 15, Give them both a fresh start on the same server, In the end the big tribe still wins and dominates.   Everyone who wants to see big tribes start over is trying to address a failing in game balancing by hitting reset. Only reset just results in the same scenario that played out before.  All the big tribes and tribe alliances come right back into the game.   

If you want to change something about the way the game balances out something about the game has to be changed.  A wipe does not achieve this

There are still alot of broken items that can no longer be obtained (looking at you jumping puzzle items) both on PvP and PvE servers. If this game releases it would be unwise to keep these items in the game. Same goes for duped items and dinos. I'm not talking about a couple items, I'm talking about vaults upon vaults filled with items that were obtaimed through exploits.

Just because its PvE doesnt mean it needs to be excused for mistakes from the past or exploits. Give it all a fresh start when everything is fixed so everyone plays by the same rules.

1 hour ago, perk8504 said:

lots of people talk real big about quitting, but would still return because they realize they enjoy the game enough to start over

That is a very general statement. You don't know what people might do. You don't know theire situation.

We play the game since it's release on PS4 and we hat to start over three times because were wiped by alphas. After a long search we negotiated ourself in a stable server with nice people, who help each other to build up and protect what they got.

I like the game, despite the lag, the bugs, the rollbacks etc. But I played the building up a base part of the game from scratch more than enough.

No matter how much you like a game, if you only get to play the first 20 % of the game? I would not had played Skyrim very long if I lost my save game every time I did beat the first dragon.

Same applies here. And I don't mean that as a threat. I don't plan to rage quit. But if we lose all our process it might just be a good time to quit a very time consuming game. That is just my standpoint, but I guess there are people who can relate to this. Especially those people who don't have so much spare time because of there personal lives and jobs. For them it is much more deterring to spend hounders of hours to get back to the point at which they are now.

ARK is an hobby, nothing more. If it starts to bore or frustrate you'll think about walking away.

7 minutes ago, Wedge84 said:

That is a very general statement. You don't know what people might do. You don't know theire situation.

We play the game since it's release on PS4 and we hat to start over three times because were wiped by alphas. After a long search we negotiated ourself in a stable server with nice people, who help each other to build up and protect what they got.

I like the game, despite the lag, the bugs, the rollbacks etc. But I played the building up a base part of the game from scratch more than enough.

No matter how much you like a game, if you only get to play the first 20 % of the game? I would not had played Skyrim very long if I lost my save game every time I did beat the first dragon.

Same applies here. And I don't mean that as a threat. I don't plan to rage quit. But if we lose all our process it might just be a good time to quit a very time consuming game. That is just my standpoint, but I guess there are people who can relate to this. Especially those people who don't have so much spare time because of there personal lives and jobs. For them it is much more deterring to spend hounders of hours to get back to the point at which they are now.

ARK is an hobby, nothing more. If it starts to bore or frustrate you'll think about walking away.

that's kind of my point...he made the generalization that a significant portion of the fan base will quit forever if servers were wiped

I know that there will be some, but him assuming that thousands of them will is an assumption, not the guarantee that he said it was

as for the skyrim comparison...we're talking about a single wipe intentionally induced by the company, not a them coming in and doing it every week (or so)...all the rest of the wipes are by the nature of the game

I know at least 15/20 people who have said if they wipe the servers on launch they will uninstall ark, to much effort to restart. The others have said they will just become guerilla trolls so I guess alot of other people will have the same view obviously not everyone will quit but alot will, a proportion of the players who stay will become trolls and the others will re-build. But the thing is ark has and always will be about tribes a small tribe has no chance at becoming alpha after a wipe and the mega alpha tribes of today that do rebuild will be the alphas of tomorrow.

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived