Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

On 2/6/2017 at 9:13 AM, Ikillyou9610 said:

I don't see why they would people have spent thousands of hours just to play to get it destroyed at release 

Because we are essentially playing a demo. If people view that in any other way they are kidding themselves. This is coming from a dude that built an alpha tribe from the ground up and is in favor of a wipe.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, spicer1209 said:

Because we are essentially playing a demo. If people view that in any other way they are kidding themselves. This is coming from a dude that built an alpha tribe from the ground up and is in favor of a wipe.

I understand your position the problem is when I first got in I expected this to be like other prereleases but after a year and a half  it never finished... also I never would have invested this much in this game had they not stated they would not wipe I would have stopped eons ago and waited for release to get back in. The only reason most of us stuck around this long was the promise (in writing/interview) that no wipe would happen. I expect they will follow what they said and so do many others.

35 minutes ago, Lucifina said:

They won't wipe they've already stated they wouldn't if they backstab their core it'll destroy their reputation and they'll lose the people that made the game what it is. Hell, it won't accomplish anything anyway large tribes will own everything within days only screwing the small guy if they did do that...

Dude, is that your opinion or are you just wishing very very hard?

If they do not at last consider a wipe, why did Kayd Hendricks tell us in his interview that they thinking about a wipe?

Sorry man, I would be devastated like you but I am afraid we have to get our heads around it: There might be a wipe at the release day

7 minutes ago, Lucifina said:

also I never would have invested this much in this game had they not stated they would not wipe I would have stopped eons ago and waited for release to get back in. The only reason most of us stuck around this long was the promise (in writing/interview) that no wipe would happen. I expect they will follow what they said and so do many others.

Yes, and in my opinion that is the best argument why a wipe would be the worst solution. We all acted according to their statement from last year. Personally I would have waited for the end of early access on PS4.

Anyhow, nothing we can do about it. But it would be nice to know before we spend more time to build more stuff on the Ragnarok servers.

24 minutes ago, Wedge84 said:

Dude, is that your opinion or are you just wishing very very hard?

If they do not at last consider a wipe, why did Kayd Hendricks tell us in his interview that they thinking about a wipe?

Sorry man, I would be devastated like you but I am afraid we have to get our heads around it: There might be a wipe at the release day

Yes, and in my opinion that is the best argument why a wipe would be the worst solution. We all acted according to their statement from last year. Personally I would have waited for the end of early access on PS4.

Anyhow, nothing we can do about it. But it would be nice to know before we spend more time to build more stuff on the Ragnarok servers.

Exactly correct, point is we are the customers if they are going to do a wipe most of us would have stopped long ago so if they are going to do a wipe tell us asap so we can be in the know... and decide what we want to do. The new map looks awesome but what's the point if its all gone in a month?

14 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

I like 1 and 2. Well if 2 really has true isolation. Without isolation there is no point to making new servers in the first place. I am 100% for the wipe but I am not completely closed minded to good alternatives. I won't throw a fit if they decide to make new servers instead of wiping but I would be extremely mad if they didn't isolate the new servers indefinitely. Not just for a short amount of time but always separate.

of course the old players won't like it because they won't be able to terrorize the new guys, but hey they didn't want the wipe so they don't belong over in the new servers.

EDIT: unfortunately some people want to have their cake and eat it to. That goes to show you who is greedy though as well

This is a "problem" that will appear regardless of a wipe, a new isolated server pool or some kind of mixture of the two - people who have the ability (i.e. the mega tribes) will still take the servers. This is just a fact, and it'll happen relatively swiftly. People who think a wipe or a new server batch will give them a fresh start are kinda deluded imo, because the exact same things that happen now will happen again (barring some kind of gameplay change between now and launch, of course!). It's just the way of ARK life - those who have the means and resources will be at the top, just like in life (although hopefully a lot of the glitches, dupe bugs and under-map exploits will be fixed by launch!). Admittedly, it may take some time before whatever new server you pick gets some attention, but it will eventually happen.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that by starting over people like yourself may get the chance to rush to a better spot on a server or find a server that may be better than the one you're on now - that's absolutely a possibility. But if you play PvP then the current state of play will just happen again on the new servers, it's just a result of player numbers in bigger tribes.

11 hours ago, GP said:

Hmm well, in the interview in the video below, you can hear Jesse clearly state you get the game and 3 official expansions, 2 of them being new expansion after Scorched Earth.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/151136534?t=24h11m34s

Also, if you look on the PlayARK website right here: http://playark.com/#dlc

It shows Scorched Earth as an Expansion and right underneath that it says 2 more expansions coming soon, which would not include Center or Ragnarok because they are not "coming soon" because they are already out.

This is why I believe the 4 ARKs are Island, Scorched and 2 new ones. I could be wrong though, but that interview clearly states 2 more official expansions after Scorched.

I think the 'expansion' term seems fairly obvious - it's what they refer to as paid DLC released by the studio. The Center and Ragnarok have been integrated into the main game now (and they've actually employed Ben Burkart) so I mean whilst they weren't developed by the studio, they'll actually form a part of the finished retail product. If they weren't "official" why wouldn't they just leave them as optional free downloads? Plus I guess The Center is actually meant to reach a stage as "finished" as The Island/SE at some point?! I suppose Ben is probably working on these 2 new expansions now though, but maybe one day...

It's all rather unimportant though whichever way you look at it :)

Okay so I have been watching this closely as I am very undecided upon my views here. I have played it since release and I love it despite the mass anger it causes me at times lol

Do I want to lose my years of work no course not great base awesome tames hours of raising and mutataions and met some great people via the trading an cross map trading i would stop playing i expect

BUT i can see why they would it would fix all these &**% exploiters of fb trading pages for paypal (they drive me mad been removed from groups for expressing my views on them lol) and it frankly would resolve a lot of them issues if all wiped and the they could fix all the issues that reside with in ark but then it would affect us all so how would wild card get around that aside from remove cross server efforts or unclaim ability i feel for the creators on that dilemma.

Then there is a case of all the land bigger tribes seem to think they can pillar and force new players to build in terrible places unless they can buy the land by some means which is kinda ridiculous. it seems there is no way wildcard can please everyone on this....

My personal view is this upon release of full game get EVERYONE to upload all dinos into towers remove the 24h cap to keep the stored in there so we dont lose our hard grinding hours on things raise wise...an then WIPE THE LOT every single server. I would happily re build from scratch as long as i don't lose the means to re harvest an re build from my tames. I would lose as much as anyone else so before anyone goes oh but i have this this an this ..well so do I but my view remains the same 

3 hours ago, The1trueGodMe said:

Okay so I have been watching this closely as I am very undecided upon my views here. I have played it since release and I love it despite the mass anger it causes me at times lol

Do I want to lose my years of work no course not great base awesome tames hours of raising and mutataions and met some great people via the trading an cross map trading i would stop playing i expect

BUT i can see why they would it would fix all these &**% exploiters of fb trading pages for paypal (they drive me mad been removed from groups for expressing my views on them lol) and it frankly would resolve a lot of them issues if all wiped and the they could fix all the issues that reside with in ark but then it would affect us all so how would wild card get around that aside from remove cross server efforts or unclaim ability i feel for the creators on that dilemma.

Then there is a case of all the land bigger tribes seem to think they can pillar and force new players to build in terrible places unless they can buy the land by some means which is kinda ridiculous. it seems there is no way wildcard can please everyone on this....

My personal view is this upon release of full game get EVERYONE to upload all dinos into towers remove the 24h cap to keep the stored in there so we dont lose our hard grinding hours on things raise wise...an then WIPE THE LOT every single server. I would happily re build from scratch as long as i don't lose the means to re harvest an re build from my tames. I would lose as much as anyone else so before anyone goes oh but i have this this an this ..well so do I but my view remains the same 

Wipe should be full wipe in that case. How do you think new (or returning) players would be even able to compete against people that are farming Quetzal + Ankylo style from day 1? Wiping it like that wouldn't make any sense and might even make the gap even bigger then it already is since overall defense would take a hit as well.

Personally I've always played as if there will be a wipe on release. This topic has been treaded and retreaded so many times over the last couple years. The devs have stuck strong to their guns that there would not be a wipe unless absolutely necessary..until recently when there have been some flip flop posts on the issue. Whatever the case, play like there will be one and then be pleasantly surprised if there isn't.

Every time something significant happens in ark the forums floods with server wipe post they did not do it last time there were big changes and there not doing it this time get over it move on this has been going on too long with the same thing being said from anyone of importance on this forum there will be NO wipe SMH

5 hours ago, TranqRex said:

This is a "problem" that will appear regardless of a wipe, a new isolated server pool or some kind of mixture of the two - people who have the ability (i.e. the mega tribes) will still take the servers. This is just a fact, and it'll happen relatively swiftly. People who think a wipe or a new server batch will give them a fresh start are kinda deluded imo, because the exact same things that happen now will happen again (barring some kind of gameplay change between now and launch, of course!). It's just the way of ARK life - those who have the means and resources will be at the top, just like in life (although hopefully a lot of the glitches, dupe bugs and under-map exploits will be fixed by launch!). Admittedly, it may take some time before whatever new server you pick gets some attention, but it will eventually happen.

What I mean by isolated is only players the buy on official release can use the servers. So exclusive servers.

if the megas want to go through the trouble of buying the game again and starting all over then fine let them. Then there is nothing that can be done but isolation definitely needs to happen.

its already bad enough that they are whining about keeping their stuff but now they want access to the new servers? No they shouldn't have it. They wanted to keep their stuff so they can stay over there with their stuff. But no they won't be happy unless they get everything they want. Like I said before, I have never seen such a bunch of entitled people in one group before.

you do know that these people are also complaining that they don't get the skins that the new players are getting for paying full price right? Please don't tell me that you are one of them. This whole thing is making me sick to stomach.

The problem is not the so-called alpha tribes. But the people who believe huge areas block, and thereby new people or relentless locks. I think the wildcard should set more active admins, the prevent something like that happens.
On my server there are only 2 players the well scarce the server with pillars block. One of them does not even play properly, but just reset.

These are the real problems that prevent a common play.

1 hour ago, Volcano637 said:

What I mean by isolated is only players the buy on official release can use the servers. So exclusive servers.

if the megas want to go through the trouble of buying the game again and starting all over then fine let them. Then there is nothing that can be done but isolation definitely needs to happen.

its already bad enough that they are whining about keeping their stuff but now they want access to the new servers? No they shouldn't have it. They wanted to keep their stuff so they can stay over there with their stuff. But no they won't be happy unless they get everything they want. Like I said before, I have never seen such a bunch of entitled people in one group before.

you do know that these people are also complaining that they don't get the skins that the new players are getting for paying full price right? Please don't tell me that you are one of them. This whole thing is making me sick to stomach.

I doubt the ability exists to do what you suggest in the first line... How do you differentiate someone who's bought the CD from someone who buys digitally? Also, the retail digital version is probably the same version as the one we're playing now, right? Why hold another version in the store? They'd need to keep updates flowing to 2 game versions then, can't see that being a clever idea.

As for the rest, the new servers would and should be free to anyone - but by extension, the "legacy" servers the mega tribes control would likely be played on less, meaning they become a candidate for wipe/re-purpose. I personally don't have a problem with anyone using any server provided they can't transfer stuff between the two. Provided the release code fixes the duping etc, 

I've seen plenty of people whining they don't get skins etc, I doubt all of them are in mega tribes!? Some just seem to be regular folk who think it's unfair (and I can see their point, especially in the case of someone who bought the game very recently. Or the PS4 crowd who it seems Sony have screwed over a bit by only putting the crappiest of "disclaimers" on the game in their store, so it looks like a proper retail title with a price to match!), but I've posted my thoughts on it in the relevant topic and no, I'm not "one of them" :P

Who knows what they're gonna do... but they really need to make their minds up and make the decision public.

1 hour ago, ViennaJoe said:

The problem is not the so-called alpha tribes. But the people who believe huge areas block, and thereby new people or relentless locks. I think the wildcard should set more active admins, the prevent something like that happens.
On my server there are only 2 players the well scarce the server with pillars block. One of them does not even play properly, but just reset.

These are the real problems that prevent a common play.

Just blow up the pillars and kill the tribes doing that. Easy solution really.

2 minutes ago, GP said:

That tweet is a year old. Things change.

Things doesn't change. The question however, is. "Do we mean what we're saying? Or do we say what is needed to say, to keep business going?".
If they don't stand for what they've said, sadly there's no way to ever trust them again with whatever they do say in the future.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Meowsaurus said:

Things doesn't change. The question however, is. "Do we mean what we're saying? Or do we say what is needed to say, to keep business going?".
If they don't stand for what they've said, sadly there's no way to ever trust them again with whatever they do say in the future.

Yes things do change. Even if they have a "no wipes" stance, and something major happens in the game to warrant a wipe and they do a wipe...... "things change".

28 minutes ago, GP said:

Yes things do change. Even if they have a "no wipes" stance, and something major happens in the game to warrant a wipe and they do a wipe...... "things change".

Meh I bet things will change if they wipe servers.

31 minutes ago, Meowsaurus said:

"Do we mean what we're saying? Or do we say what is needed to say, to keep business going?".

Guess this question will answer itself sooner or later.

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived