Mindwipe tonic can now only be applied once per level up.

Sphere

2 minutes ago, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

Do you also think about PVE and PVE as separate played game modes? Or do you, like many other members, mix it all?
Why do you worry about other players "need to think about what they do"?
Do you enjoy others having a harder life because of changes that doesnt really affect you? (i guess you already only used mindwipe once per year or so).
Theres also no classes in ARK. ARK is not "other mmos" because other mmos are not happening in a sandbox.

What do you mean with this? If you meant PvP and PvE than yes i do think they are seperate game modes that require seperate distinct rules and maybe even difficulties items etc. What has this got to do with it?

I used the mindwipe freely in the past, sometimes a couple wipes a day/week depending on what i was doing. But thats exactly why I like this change, it felt like cheating.

'Oh I need pearls, well forget taking a dino, let me just spec 1000k in oxy and swim'

'Oh I want to build, let me just spec everything into weight and crafting speed'

'Oh I want to make some better recipes, let me just ...' You know where i'm going. It didnt require any commitment or thought because you could just undo it anyway. 

And you are wrong, ARK does have 'classes', they are just invisible. And by adding the Classes mod to the mod program I'm kinda inclined to think ARK wants more distinct and more niche classes.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Sphere said:

You really have not been reading what I have been typing have you? Tribes and situations change. Even your own play style changes. I'm not talking about game mechanics. At this point I believe you're straw manning.

So what if it changes? Resources will always need to be harvested, Battles will always have to be fought. And if you have a problem with committing you can always just spend your stats across the board. You wont lose out on anything. Its not like some items are locked behind a stat barrier where you need x ammount of melee to use this weapon... Btw we also have dinos in this game that can take over some rolls if you as a player dont want to spec for it...

• Volunteer Moderator
25 minutes ago, [EG] Comdriver W31 said:

then there should be a timer lock for a day or so, don't disable it completely

There is a lock. Once per level. You have a grand total of 114 levels to make use of mindwipe tonics (99 from going 1-100 + the extra 15 levels from ascending) This means that by the time you reach the tek cave you should have a general idea of how you want to proceed with your gameplay.

One person here pointed out the jarring flaw with mindwipe as it previously was : it took away whatever gravitas should have come with your survivor in this survival game. Why would you give any careful consideration on how you spec your survivor when all you would need to do is pop a tonic and you can be whatever the heck you wanted? Why have yourself and your tribemates take on specialized roles when you all can just be cookie cutter generic tribeman number 4478? Heck, why try to keep your tribe together when any loss incurred can just be recouped by having ensign ricky take a drink to fill in redshirt joe's shoes?

It's normal to be upset with change, but realistically speaking, all this will do is bring back a bit of the mentality people had before mindwipe tonics were even put in the game, which is to give careful consideration on how they wish to build their survivors.

2 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

What do you mean with this? If you meant PvP and PvE than yes i do think they are seperate game modes that require seperate distinct rules and maybe even difficulties items etc. What has this got to do with it?

I used the mindwipe freely in the past, sometimes a couple wipes a day/week depending on what i was doing. But thats exactly why I like this change, it felt like cheating.

'Oh I need pearls, well forget taking a dino, let me just spec 1000k in oxy and swim'

'Oh I want to build, let me just spec everything into weight and crafting speed'

'Oh I want to make some better recipes, let me just ...' You know where i'm going. It didnt require any commitment or thought because you could just undo it anyway. 

And you are wrong, ARK does have 'classes', they are just invisible. And by adding the Classes mod to the mod program I'm kinda inclined to think ARK wants more distinct and more niche classes.

A cooldown woulld accomplish the goal just fine tho. Permanently locked in however is just a middle finger to everybody except you.

9 minutes ago, Grantykinss said:

Just because you think it's a good change doesn't make it good, the masses say that this isn't a good decision you seem to be forgetting that people have been playing this game for 2 years. Times change, people feel like changing up playstyles when they've hit that max level being able to only change your stats around once per level is extremely limiting. In a perfect world maybe it'd be okay if everyone had 100 chances to change their levels but the fact is most people are at the higher levels now, with only one or so chances to change their stats.

The masses always cry when something is taken away from them, even more so if it could be considered OP or broken. Look at the flyer nerf.

I know people have been playing for 2 years, I've been here since day 1, I've seen every possible change there is to see. But you seem to forget we have been in EA the last 2 years. Things were gonna change, but after we exit EA, do you seriously think we will keep seeing these big changes as frequently as we have seen them the last couple months? Its going to be alot of big changes now until release but afterwards the game is going to stay the same. Except when an expansion comes. 

1 minute ago, ciabattaroll said:

There is a lock. Once per level. You have a grand total of 114 levels to make use of mindwipe tonics (99 from going 1-100 + the extra 15 levels from ascending) This means that by the time you reach the tek cave you should have a general idea of how you want to proceed with your gameplay.

One person here pointed out the jarring flaw with mindwipe as it previously was : it took away whatever gravitas should have come with your survivor in this survival game. Why would you give any careful consideration on how you spec your survivor when all you would need to do is pop a tonic and you can be whatever the heck you wanted? Why have yourself and your tribemates take on specialized roles when you all can just be cookie cutter generic tribeman number 4478? Heck, why try to keep your tribe together when any loss incurred can just be recouped by having ensign ricky take a drink to fill in redshirt joe's shoes?

It's normal to be upset with change, but realistically speaking, all this will do is bring back a bit of the mentality people had before mindwipe tonics were even put in the game, which is to give careful consideration on how they wish to build their survivors.

What about the rest of the points in this thread? You just chose that one and then targeted it for destruction, without any consideration of anything else. For example, the fact that the roles that people take up, will not be the same forever. People come and go. You change servers, your situation changes. Yes the abuse is wrong, but the changes you guys are putting onto the community is also considered by large as wrong as well. And no matter how many times you try and spell it out as being a necessary wrong, it's still wrong and unjustified to the people who play the actual game.

1 minute ago, BobRoss said:

A cooldown would accomplish nothing unless it was a huge one, like once every 3 monts. It takes away strategising planning and committing in a survival game.

That's what I'm talking about tho. It shouldn't be something abusable. However it shouldn't be permanent and screw over end game.

6 minutes ago, Sphere said:

A cooldown woulld accomplish the goal just fine tho. Permanently locked in however is just a middle finger to everybody except you.

I completely agree on the cool-down, I mean I can never build all engrams in single player once I reach the highest level now. I have no tribe to help out or even NPC's to trade with. Sure I have some blueprints, but they don't cover everything, unless that was added in this patch.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Sphere said:

For example, the fact that the roles that people take up, will not be the same forever.

Sounds more like the tribe needs to look into interlocking roles rather than specializing in just one.

3 minutes ago, Sphere said:

People come and go. You change servers, your situation changes.

People come and go, as you said. You can then take that "coming" to make the acquaintance of and form bonds with people that best fill the niche of the people that have "gone".

1 minute ago, CompactDisc said:

I completely agree on the cool-down, I mean I can never build all engrams in single player once I reach the highest level now. I have no tribe to help out or even NPC's to trade with. Sure I have some blueprints, but they don't cover everything, unless that was added in this patch.

You're playing singleplayer. You can just use the giveengrams command.

1 minute ago, ciabattaroll said:

Sounds more like the tribe needs to look into interlocking roles rather than specializing in just one.

People come and go, as you said. You can then take that "coming" to make the acquaintance of and form bonds with people that best fill the niche of the people that have "gone".

This is bullcrap. You're actually telling us majority of players to suck it up and live with something we don't want. Of course tribes are important. But who wants to be locked into a single build forever? As much as you try and justify careful thinking, as I said before, things change, including people, situations, tribes, the list keeps going. I really do wonder if you guys actually play your game.

3 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

You're playing singleplayer. You can just use the giveengrams command.

Well, not just single player, I also host a server for some friends of mine and my girlfriend, we rarely are online together so we're basically all playing semi-single player. Is there a way to disable this in dedicated servers for cases like this? Yes I can use the giveengrams command but it resets after relog. And just giving all engrams at the max level requires me to rewrite all level requirements in the config.

1 hour ago, Sphere said:

So does that mean that once I reach level 100, I have to now do tek caves to mindwipe again? What is this stupid crap? =w=

I think they want people to start making new characters instead of usuaing just the same one all the time. 

Luckily this change doesn't affect me becaUse I have 3 characters. Each one set up specifically to each map. Might even make a 4th one for ragnarok when it comes out lol

6 minutes ago, Sphere said:

That's what I'm talking about tho. It shouldn't be something abusable. However it shouldn't be permanent and screw over end game.

I think the way its implemented now is alot more forgiving than having 1 mindwipe every x weeks/months. (BTW, this gives me the feeling they are really planning on a wipe at release because as you've mentioned end game players only get 1 wipe)

6 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

The masses always cry when something is taken away from them, even more so if it could be considered OP or broken. Look at the flyer nerf.

I know people have been playing for 2 years, I've been here since day 1, I've seen every possible change there is to see. But you seem to forget we have been in EA the last 2 years. Things were gonna change, but after we exit EA, do you seriously think we will keep seeing these big changes as frequently as we have seen them the last couple months? Its going to be alot of big changes now until release but afterwards the game is going to stay the same. Except when an expansion comes. 

If you're looking it at it from the perspective of a new survivor on release, yeah the changes may be okay because they have 100 (+15 w/ ascension) chances to learn the game, learn a playstyle and adapt and mess around with stats, so you'll know how each stat feels and improves on your character by the time you're max level. However, currently people are already max level and without a wipe, they're stuck with the choices they have made; 1 reset isn't allowing them much freedom in the way they play, they have to pick a role and stick with it forever once they're max level. Are you also considering that people aren't always in large tribes, solo players don't have the engram points to learn everything so they need to change their stats every now and then to be able to farm, and take on the bosses and learn new engrams. I haven't forgot that the game is in EA but it's unfair to limit the max levels when they've been playing the game for 2 years and have to change their playstyles because of situations that are beyond them.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, Sphere said:

Of course tribes are important. But who wants to be locked into a single build forever? As much as you try and justify careful thinking, as I said before, things change, including people, situations, tribes, the list keeps going. I really do wonder if you guys actually play your game.

Dude what? In just about every stat building game out there, everyone's always looking for a "best build evar" guide which they could emulate. That's people fairly factually going out of their way to lock themselves into a single build.

3 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

Dude what? In just about every stat building game out there, everyone's always looking for a "best build evar" guide which they could emulate. That's people fairly factually going out of their way to lock themselves into a single build.

But do they stay in those builds forever? No.

But not only that, a lot of the time those builds you are referring to, have mechanics for reset, that lets you specialize, and then change to something else later. People love this mechanic, as it gives them more freedom to play how they want. We however know that this is a mechanic that can be abused in this game, as it's a survival game, and is not something we want to encourage. But you guys are saying, end game, you should know something that will be forever, and then lock yourself in. We however are TELLING YOU IT'S A MISTAKE AND BAD GAME MECHANIC TO GO AHEAD WITH.

5 minutes ago, CompactDisc said:

Another thing I just thought of: Single players that go up against large alpha tribes using guerrilla warfare are severely limited in their options now.

Thats because ARK is a tribe oriented game and solo players should be at an incredible disadvantage. Why do you think almost every video of ARK when they show off new features has 5-10 people working together?

3 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

Thats because ARK is a tribe oriented game and solo players should be at an incredible disadvantage. Why do you think almost every video of ARK when they show off new features has 5-10 people working together?

"Oriented" vs. "Locked"
"Oriented" vs. "Mandatory"
"Oriented" vs. "Forced"

Giving tribes advantages does in no way mean they have to take those away from players who prefer smaller groups and solo play.

Mindwipe was the perfect balance between large vs. solo tribes.

Archived