Any elaboration on what the flyer nerf will entail?

Novarae

5 minutes ago, green13 said:

If danger should be ever present maybe they should make all bases spawn points for therozinos trodons and allosaurs... I still wake up in a cold sweat reliving the many times allos not only breached my 3 high seamless walls but spawned inside my structures. Leading me to put my base in a spot thats only reachable by flier... I still have a few teeth left to kick in too so lets just nerf all saddles and armor to primitive stats or maybe even Introduce minus bonus armor... You can look like a power ranger and if a herbivore even breathes on you you catch fire and have prompts for stop drop and roll.

Armor? You still wear armor? Dude, what for? I don't need that extra weight when going out to farm with the Quetzal and Ank, haha. And... how would a herbivore breathe on me if I'm a hundred feet in the air on my Ptera? Haha, stay pleb, ground animals.  

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

poop if 80% speed nerf is real, that's like how to kill your game 101.  Though doubt that high..

Private servers with all alter settings, plenty of official players will just play other games for the time being, who the heck wants to run a train to farm lmao.  Let alone ignoring higher up spawns like on center, all the obsidian basically needs flying to.  Tonnes of metal spawns too.  Then PvE without flying goodluck getting to a lot of spots, or going around huge areas cuz of blocked paths.

1 hour ago, DarthaNyan said:

Tunnel Visioning that birds are the only option keeps you away from seeing other ways and dinos. Thats exactly what devs are trying to fix.

Hint: bears. Great weight limit, speed and damage and they are compact.

We used a 2k weight bear on the vulcano to transport metal ore. Just farm the ore with the anky and put it in the bear. Then run to the forge. Repeate. You can whip the anky to the forge nowdays but its not as fast. You need behemoth gates for the quetz. The anky and bear are very small and need only a small hut. Good for hideing in the woods. They anky can defende itselfe up to some dinos. So you can even leave it where you farm.

nah they dont need to be nerfing flyers on PVE. So what if people use the same animals. Its a matter of preference at the end of the day. just cause you make something nerfed, dont mean its gonna force us to use other animals. that is stupid as hell. Your basically kicking us players in the face, cause think about it, most people breed argents, quetz's, pteras, and you have to raise wyverns from scratch. lets use wyverns for example. It takes 4 days to raise one. thats 4 days of busting ass sitting in an area on the map, tied up raising that creature, and you all know how much of a pain in the arse getting milk can be. Now they wanna nerf them, basicly making that pointless possibly? No. Either speed up growth rates then, or accept the fact that hey [people will want flyers over land mounts cause we dont wanna keep getting killed on land in alot of cases. Wont belive how many times i been stuck on some rock in scorched, unable to move my dino, and get killed by terror birds and wolves. thus why I rely on flyers to get around, and alot of other players are in the same boat.

On 3/29/2017 at 2:31 PM, Myst said:

I can join a tribe at level one, have all the great gear, and jump on a bird, and didn't need to do anything.

That right there is wrong. If more players had to earn that luxury, and tame that bird, and unlock that saddle, and be a certain level to fly that bird, it would be fair.

New player spawns in, begs for stuff, gets it, makes bolas, 2-3 tranq arrows, and some meat, and gets a Ptera. Begs for someone to make him the saddle, and off he goes....I see this on a regular bases.

Fix that.

Very easy to fix. Have tribe leaders that use the rank system properly and don't allow lvl 1 to have certain things until they increase in rank within the tribe.

problem solved

20 hours ago, iAmE said:

Pteras aren't a threat to high level tribes. Anything a low level tribe is flying literally gets one shot by a Compound Bow, or three shot by their pteras. The devs specifically went out of their way to put special emphasis on the fact that this is a PvE nerf. That train of thought is further reinforced by the fact that, for the most part, stat nerfs are irrelevant to the problems (Picking) that Flyers present in PvP

(Oh yeah, most Alpha tribes will just come over with Quetzals. Thus be immune to Pteras)

I agree with the idea that the main pvp issue of flyers is the ease of them being able to pick players off of anything that does not have a platform saddle.  I really wish that the devs would come up with a seat belt or something better to make it harder to pick people to better open up more land based dino pvp. I helped a friend recently try to defend their server from an invasion by one of the offshoots of a "megatribe". We used almost exclusively pteras and quetzals to defend because you would be picked almost instantly if you rode anything else like our gigas and rexes. The invading tribe had 6 tek armored quetzals and 4-5 pteras to provide cover while they flew turtles and golems ontop the quetzals to drain turrets. 

On the weight nerf: I don't really want the weight to be nerfed on quetzals mainly because i am opposed to anything that makes the game more of a grind then it is. For where my tribe and I are at now in the game after putting in countless hours breeding, building, and learning ark mechanics our biggest frustration are the large "mega tribes" that have duped so much that they can throw resources at you nonstop till eventually you lose. 

I've been that new solo player playing on a server with an alpha tribe that would do nightly wipes of the server. It sucked but guess what i learned and grouped up with players in similiar situations. We were forced to learn how to build smart and use our time better after each time we were found and wiped. Eventually we got better and found weaknesses and wiped the alpha tribe. I despise the players that were in that tribe for the way they treated other people(that and because they used esp and aimbots) but i am grateful because i learned so much.

I see the problems not being the higher weight carry on quetzals because people using those are still spending countless hours mindlessly farming mats to build defenses. The problems are first tribes that have duped entire tek bases(whether they build with them or demo them for lots of materials)plus many  vaults full of explosives who can then in a matter of hours can reduce bases that people have taken hundreds and some thousands of hours to build.

The second problem like I stated before that most of pvp right now because of how flyers are is who can rip the other guy off of his mount to win the engagment.

On 3/29/2017 at 10:54 AM, Jat said:

It's safe to say that everyone is probably going to have a different opinion on the direction to take both flyer based and land based creatures in the game. In terms of the direction we're planning taking now, we'll be tackling flying creatures across the board in most parts. You can expect to see changes to speed, stamina, weight and health (in some cases).

Obviously, this is subject to change before the patch goes live (based on in-house feedback) as well as once the patch has gone live (based on the feedback we receive from the player base as a whole). These won't render them completely useless, I imagine most would still use them as their go to creatures for travelling and transportation - but it will certainly bring them more in line. 

Consider this a first pass of it, it's certainly possible that what we change could be reverted and we decide to take another avenue, or we look towards giving our land-based creatures a big boost. We're pretty close to wrapping up content for the base game which means we can focus a lot on polishing, be it the balance of the game, resolving bugs, improving performance and during that stretch, you'll see more changes directed at the balance of the game - I believe TRH's purpose is to work with our gameplay guys to make sure creatures have roles in the game and you're not just using 1 creature for everything.

The changes we're making can be undone using mods, or in some cases even altering the stats via ini - but of course our Official Servers will be affected by this change. We do understand that not everyone wants to play the game the way it has been designed by the development team, and that is completely acceptable. This is why we provide the tools for you guys to make your own alterations that you would find enjoyable.

I'm grateful that we're able to read a lot of thoughts and opinions on the gameplay changes we make on all our social channels, please remember to respect others opinion, even if you disagree ;) - everyone should feel comfortable sharing what they think is the best way to go :)

"a lot on polishing, be it the balance of the game"

Cool Explosives do WAY to much damage to bases.

1 hour ago, Vega0987 said:

I agree with the idea that the main pvp issue of flyers is the ease of them being able to pick players off of anything that does not have a platform saddle.  I really wish that the devs would come up with a seat belt or something better to make it harder to pick people to better open up more land based dino pvp. I helped a friend recently try to defend their server from an invasion by one of the offshoots of a "megatribe". We used almost exclusively pteras and quetzals to defend because you would be picked almost instantly if you rode anything else like our gigas and rexes. The invading tribe had 6 tek armored quetzals and 4-5 pteras to provide cover while they flew turtles and golems ontop the quetzals to drain turrets. 

On the weight nerf: I don't really want the weight to be nerfed on quetzals mainly because i am opposed to anything that makes the game more of a grind then it is. For where my tribe and I are at now in the game after putting in countless hours breeding, building, and learning ark mechanics our biggest frustration are the large "mega tribes" that have duped so much that they can throw resources at you nonstop till eventually you lose. 

I've been that new solo player playing on a server with an alpha tribe that would do nightly wipes of the server. It sucked but guess what i learned and grouped up with players in similiar situations. We were forced to learn how to build smart and use our time better after each time we were found and wiped. Eventually we got better and found weaknesses and wiped the alpha tribe. I despise the players that were in that tribe for the way they treated other people(that and because they used esp and aimbots) but i am grateful because i learned so much.

I see the problems not being the higher weight carry on quetzals because people using those are still spending countless hours mindlessly farming mats to build defenses. The problems are first tribes that have duped entire tek bases(whether they build with them or demo them for lots of materials)plus many  vaults full of explosives who can then in a matter of hours can reduce bases that people have taken hundreds and some thousands of hours to build.

The second problem like I stated before that most of pvp right now because of how flyers are is who can rip the other guy off of his mount to win the engagment.

They need to wipe all the servers is what they need to do.  Test the changes from ground up.  Removes all the Duping.  Leave the character data so you can still rebuild but everything is on a even ground.

So. This is my personal thoughts on this flying nerf that they wanna push on us. And you know, i hope someone in wildcard reads this, and thinks about it. i know it probably wont happen, but worth a shot is it not? Anyway. From my understanding from all that I seen, yes I was premature in blaming it due to PVP. though, In my defense, most nerfs before this one was due to PVP, so you can see why I and others would think that. anyway.

I am a PVE Player. I could care less about PVP. I like to play the game, build crazy bases and tame What i want to tame. So does most others on PVE. So why the hell do they feel the need to nerf flyers, Like my wyverns I use to get around, to force me and other players to use dinosaurs I don't wanna use. Its stupid. Its not gonna make players want to use the other dinosaurs. PVE, We tame and breed what we want to. Do I wanna use a bronto or something? No. I don't even really use Quetz's that much.

In my experience, Land travel is a hassle. Wonky hit boxes, wild dinos walking into the legs of what im using tripping me up. Do you know how many times I have become stuck on a rock or something, unable to move, or a wolf gets under my morella or something, unable to attack it cause im stuck in the air? Alot. and its happened to alot of other people on servers that I talk too too. We don't need to nerf flyers just cause the Devs want us to use other dinosaurs, It wont make us want to use other dinos than what we already use on PVE. I don't wanna use wolves, I don't wanna use brontos or something like that, I want to use the Wyvern that i spent 4 days of my life busting ass to raise and get to 100% imprinting. hell. Im 2200 hours into the game. tamed my first ever T Rex in the game, Mainly cause i liked its colors. before then, didn't care about them didn't want them, didn't like em. Still don't use it majorly. So again, Nerfing Flyers for PVE to make us want to use land dinosaurs is a stupid idea.

The reason they nerfed flyers were for two reasons, the first, 300% speed ptera can barrel roll past turrets, and the second biggest reason, which affects both PvP and PvE is content triviality, it makes the game easy at level 35! Basically they want you to explore the map more!

TL;DR: there are two reasons, one due to PvP, the other bigger reason due to Both PvE and PvP

On Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Jat said:

It's safe to say that everyone is probably going to have a different opinion on the direction to take both flyer based and land based creatures in the game. In terms of the direction we're planning taking now, we'll be tackling flying creatures across the board in most parts. You can expect to see changes to speed, stamina, weight and health (in some cases).

Obviously, this is subject to change before the patch goes live (based on in-house feedback) as well as once the patch has gone live (based on the feedback we receive from the player base as a whole). These won't render them completely useless, I imagine most would still use them as their go to creatures for travelling and transportation - but it will certainly bring them more in line. 

Consider this a first pass of it, it's certainly possible that what we change could be reverted and we decide to take another avenue, or we look towards giving our land-based creatures a big boost. We're pretty close to wrapping up content for the base game which means we can focus a lot on polishing, be it the balance of the game, resolving bugs, improving performance and during that stretch, you'll see more changes directed at the balance of the game - I believe TRH's purpose is to work with our gameplay guys to make sure creatures have roles in the game and you're not just using 1 creature for everything.

The changes we're making can be undone using mods, or in some cases even altering the stats via ini - but of course our Official Servers will be affected by this change. We do understand that not everyone wants to play the game the way it has been designed by the development team, and that is completely acceptable. This is why we provide the tools for you guys to make your own alterations that you would find enjoyable.

I'm grateful that we're able to read a lot of thoughts and opinions on the gameplay changes we make on all our social channels, please remember to respect others opinion, even if you disagree ;) - everyone should feel comfortable sharing what they think is the best way to go :)

Must say in the over a year ive been here ive not seen you post so much as over the last week. Love it.

Im sure the community would love / does love more dev activity on this (arks main site) Please keep it up! 

@Jat

Just now, OnePotatoChip said:

Doubt it. They've never outright removed a function in the game before. Can you imagine the amount of tears that would cause, though? People can't function without their Quetzals. 

Just now, AzraelRavenwing said:

No i dont think so.

ok thanks roomer in my tribe was that they were going to but i doubted it just needed confirmation   

25 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

1. Paragraphs

2. TL;DR: "I dont want them to nerf my wyvern that is the dino i mostly use" - op. Case in point why the nerf is indeed needed.

There edited to make it easier to read, And on a side note, i dont want any flyers to be nerfed for PVE. I do use some land animals, I just use wyverns when im in a hurry or need to farm alot of meat and get it back fast. Im only on a socorched server, and spoil timers on stuff like prime meat is to damn short.

18 minutes ago, ILuvTheAwesomeDevs said:

The reason they nerfed flyers were for two reasons, the first, 300% speed ptera can barrel roll past turrets, and the second biggest reason, which affects both PvP and PvE is content triviality, it makes the game easy at level 35! Basically they want you to explore the map more!

TL;DR: there are two reasons, one due to PvP, the other bigger reason due to Both PvE and PvP

A good point about the PVP, but then the nerf should be on PVP only then. What point is there for forcing it on PVE? None. Most PVEers I know like to build and goof around. We dont have no reason like oh we must fortify or be ready to fight other than some grifer wanting to kite dinos at us. So what if its considered Triviality on PVE? Its not like we are in wars all the time like the madhouse that is PVP.

Just now, ciabattaroll said:

People can claim pvp or pve or even justify their beliefs on why a rebalance shouldn't occur but ultimately, the overarching rationale for the rebalance is this : fliers took the survival part out of this survival game.

idk. I still get killed alot by poop any time i step outside of a base. And the same could be said of tek teir could it not? a freaking shield that can only be damaged by other tek stuff  or alot of explosives? It aint rebalancing, even been said on twitter they are trying to make players use other dinos than what they normally use. and even then why should they care what dinos we prefer to use anyway?

1 minute ago, ciabattaroll said:

People can claim pvp or pve or even justify their beliefs on why a rebalance shouldn't occur but ultimately, the overarching rationale for the rebalance is this : fliers took the survival part out of this survival game.

It's a sandbox game with a survival theme and mechanics, then there will always be ways be to make it less surviving though unless you go with an action rpg mechanicallly similar to Elder Scrolls. 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, GigathisGigathat said:

It's a sandbox game with a survival theme and mechanics, then there will always be ways be to make it less surviving though unless you go with an action rpg mechanicallly similar to Elder Scrolls. 

Make it less surviving, yes. Not outright a non-issue. The moment you take to the skies your only real threat (if you can call it that) is a wayward argent or a dragonfly, neither of which are particularly threatening. On scorched you have an argent (again, non threatening), and wyverns, which are mostly isolated in one section of the map. Not only that, but the fliers speed and stamina allow for coverage of vast amounts of area without threat.

6 minutes ago, AzraelRavenwing said:

idk. I still get killed alot by poop any time i step outside of a base. And the same could be said of tek teir could it not? a freaking shield that can only be damaged by other tek stuff  or alot of explosives? It aint rebalancing, even been said on twitter they are trying to make players use other dinos than what they normally use. and even then why should they care what dinos we prefer to use anyway?

Tek equipment still requires braving threats as well as overcoming adversity in order to obtain and maintain them.

Flyers were/are OP.  I havent played since the nerf yet.   No way should they be able to fight as long as they could.  There they are flying under huge weight loads while in combat.  It wasn't a good mechanic.  Flyers like Pteras and Q's should be one hell of a lot more fragile what with the wing membrane being so thin.

Ultimately though, flyers removed to much of the games challenge.  The game was getting to gimp once you had a few certain dino's tamed.  The flyer nerf and the newer "ambush" style mobs introduced over the past few months have added a lot of challenge and fun back into the game.

Archived