Wiping Officials: The big Reddit discussion

JetJaguar

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the last time watch this video: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024229/-ARK-Survival-Evolved-Lessons

i think this I good news. The way I see it the wipe is going to happen. Even though they did not come out and say it they wanted to let everyone know that a decision has not been made, and they may make new servers but they are going to be basing decisions on "retail influx". And they said they would be keeping an eye on everything as they get "closer" to launch. I know a lot of people aren't going to like it but there will end up being an official wipe that will be last minute.

it is good to hold on to the whole intention of making new servers idea, and they did say they had enough money to do it, but at the same time why waste the money when they can wipe everything and have plenty of nice, shiny and brand new servers for all of the new "paying" not "paid" customers that will be coming in. The laugh at the beginning was actually the biggest sign of a wipe. I mean if they knew full well they weren't going to do a wipe and I mean for sure knew that, then they would just say they wouldn't. They know there is still a good chance they will wipe. It's easy to see that and it will be right before release with no warning. 

It is just something that needs to be done. Why go on a server after paying 60 bucks and have all the tame limits and structures limit net already. The time has come to start anew 

EDIT: sorry it is in the last 3:50 of the video.

4 minutes ago, Contract said:

Yea 100%! a new game should not be launched with dominating Alphas. Everyone should have to start again on level footing. (Bar experience from playing beta/alpha)

And don't forget it isn't just the alphas but a lot of servers have met the tame and structure cap already. Which also makes servers super laggy

9 minutes ago, Harrist14 said:

Have any of you pro-wipe people been on PS4? It's only been a couple months and they're just as bad. A wipe is a short term solution

Regardless, if there are already servers caps there still needs to be a wipe. Doesn't matter it it will grow again. You can't realease a game that is already capped

9 minutes ago, Drfacialphd said:

Definitely not, there are a lot of people that have invested a  alot of time in this game and the only thing keeping them playing is what they have, wipe that and a lot of players will quit. I don't think it would attract as many people as would quit

Indeed.

I also remember an official announcement that all decently popular servers will not be wiped on release, so i don´t quite understand why those pointless threads are still appearing.

There are many less popular PvE servers so there is no point in wiping anything on larger PvE servers.

PvP might be another story, but i have no experience on that part.

20 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

There is a lot of talk about wiping the servers, and a lot of arguments either side so I had an idea that could please both sides. 

My idea is to wipe all the servers...

In what world are you living in that this pleases both sides? I don't care what the map could look like, if they wipe all progress the map won't matter, I'm not going to see it anyway.

Would you like to know why they have not announced weather or not the officials will be wiped?
If they announced that all officials will be slated clean on release the player base would drop by an insane level. No one in their right mind would play and invest so much time and effort into a game that will be reset later down the line.
It's both foolish on the player for playing under those pre-tenses and foolish on the devs to release such information.

On the other hand even if they hold out to the very last minute and wipe the servers just before release the player base would drop far more than it would rise for the initial release and influx of new players coming to the game.

Server wipes would be an extremely redundant solution to help introduce new players to the game. New servers should be introduced. Alot of them. Besides.
Even if they wiped the servers what would that achieve for new players?
If the old players stay around and retribe up their experience would have them dominating a server within what? a day? a week?

A new player will always be screwed while they are at the beginners level of understanding ark.
Long term players would never accept a server wipe calmly many would be reduced to just petty trolling which again is bad news for new players.
The refunds that would potentially ensue from this would be substantial as well

I won't babble any more about it but seriously, fresh clean servers sounds nice but from a business stand point it's pretty much downhill.

24 minutes ago, Harrist14 said:

Then at the very least, find a way around those issues before a wipe, it'll just be a waste of everyone's time if they wipe without fixing stuff. And loads of people will quit 

To be honest if they are going to quit just because of that then let them. People got to have fun playing a game for a long time and already got their money's worth. Your base isn't your actual property like in the real world. It doesn't even belong to you, it belongs to the devs. Nobody gets to rightfully keep anything in this game. There is no such thing as a waste of time when you are having fun. You will have your memories and that does belong to you, just like the real world 

23 minutes ago, Drfacialphd said:

Definitely not, there are a lot of people that have invested a  alot of time in this game and the only thing keeping them playing is what they have, wipe that and a lot of players will quit. I don't think it would attract as many people as would quit

Which wouldn't matter. They already paid and they already got to have their time to have fun. Nobody invested time into this game. They spent time playing a game and having fun. That is the only thing you get from playing games. You never actually keep anything. 

And just like the devs, I am way more concerned with the new players bringing new money to the game. Boo hoo the game got wiped. Rebuild, shouldn't be that big of a deal

In my opinion I dont think this game can be officially released PVP wise if the servers are not wiped. It would be a disaster. New players would get stomped, they wouldn't be given a chance to learn because lets face it. They would be abused. No one would go easy on them. and they would never have a chance. it would strangle any growth in this game and that would kill it slowly but surely. When this game goes full release they NEED to start everyone on a level playing field. PVE its very possible that that can stay as is. But in a competitive environment such an edge ruins it.

And a PVP wipe would have to wipe every single server. New servers would not cut it if people can just transfer to the new servers and effectively defeat the object. Either there would need to be a new cluster for new players and have legacy or older servers as a completely untouchable, nontransferable and locked away. So those who want to hold on to their old servers can but they cannot stop new players from experiencing the game. 

Of course the duping issues and various glitches have to be resolved before hand or... well it really won't have made a difference.

36 minutes ago, Harrist14 said:

Then at the very least, find a way around those issues before a wipe, it'll just be a waste of everyone's time if they wipe without fixing stuff. And loads of people will quit 

you knew what you signed up for when you agreed to the terms of agreement. progress could be wiped. 

there are people who wait for full release before they buy a game and if they dont wipe the servers, imagine their faces, pillars everywhere, behemoth bases everywhere. yeah that will look good for the new players. the media would level WC to the ground if they pull this off. 

a game that releases into gold status should never be infested with alpha/beta items that are duped or super OP and no longer available. 

new players running around with 250% dmg longneck getting one shotted by someone with a 500% one. yeah thats legit

2 hours ago, BobRoss said:

if they would open server after a month it would still be unfair lol, and not opening them at all would just create more clustered servers and divide the playerbase even more. 

But if they don't do a wipe that that is what needs to happen. And I didn't mean the whole opening the servers later part. That would not be good.

i am talking about the always closed clusters. That would be the only way I would step off the band wagon of the wipe. And I would if that actually happened. As far as dividing the player base goes, that is a great idea. If the other people want to play on the new servers they can start over just like everyone else. They in no way should be able to bring anything over to the new servers. 

other than a wipe, that would be the only other good idea I can see. We may disagree a lot but atleast realize I am open to other ideas if they are actually good ideas.

EDIT: fully getting rid of cross ark could be another possibility.

1 minute ago, BobRoss said:

you knew what you signed up for when you agreed to the terms of agreement. progress could be wiped. 

there are people who wait for full release before they buy a game and if they dont wipe the servers, imagine their faces, pillars everywhere, behemoth bases everywhere. yeah that will look good for the new players. the media would level WC to the ground if they pull this off. 

a game that releases into gold status should never be infested with alpha/beta items that are duped or super OP and no longer available. 

new players running around with 250% dmg longneck getting one shotted by someone with a 500% one. yeah thats legit

a game that lost 50% of the players in one week is also no good.

there is a way between both, make two clusters, on legacy one fresh, they cant transfer to each other, bam solution and no one is loosing anything. if an legacy server is to empty over a fixed period of time you could wipe it then.

I've gone back and forth over the past year or so on this.  Given how many exploits have gotten abused, very few, if any, Alpha or Mega tribe is legit.

Just some of the exploits that have been heavily abused:

Numerous item and dino dupe glitches over time.

The original and ongoing unlimited weight glitches leading to ungodly amounts of resources.

Spoil timer glitch meat and berries allowing breeding with little to no effort.

The use of the above glitches is deplorable, but was/is also a symptom of the game balancing harvesting/taming/breeding times.

IMO the servers need to be wiped and then we can see who the real alphas are.

Before talking about wiping or not wiping the servers...

Can we get certainty that the game WILL EVENTUALLY BE RELEASED ?

It wouldn't be the first time a game in Early Access eventually got scrapped and devs ran away with cash. There was one game in particular, that was kinda competitor to Ark and many players switched from that game to Ark...

7 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

I'm not quitting regardless, I was just expressing that there are, no question, a large amount of people that would, including some of my friends

42 minutes ago, Harrist14 said:

Isn't that the long term goal ? 

They already got our cash. They wipe servers, 50% (just a random number) quit after the wipe in rage. They keep business but don't need to invest in more servers (because a lot of them just got free) and they keep collecting fresh cash. 

There won't be any negative impact. You just need to say one criticizing word and you have 100000 players defending the devs and the game and early access.

3 minutes ago, Basso said:

a game that lost 50% of the players in one week is also no good.

there is a way between both, make two clusters, on legacy one fresh, they cant transfer to each other, bam solution and no one is loosing anything. if an legacy server is to empty over a fixed period of time you could wipe it then.

The thing is we are beta testers. Ark wouldn't actually lose any "players" just testers would stop testing. The people actually buying the game would be an influx of players. I still remember only paying 50 bucks for the game total. These people will be paying 59.99 plus tax for a game they expect to be fresh and new.

and if you want legacy servers, go ahead and have them but they should never be allowed to connect with the new servers. Not a month later, not a year later. Never

Just now, powerstuck said:

Isn't that the long term goal ? 

They already got our cash. They wipe servers, 50% (just a random number) quit after the wipe in rage. They keep business but don't need to invest in more servers (because a lot of them just got free) and they keep collecting fresh cash. 

There won't be any negative impact. You just need to say one criticizing word and you have 100000 players defending the devs and the game and early access.

Cynical, but yes probably. Just kinda raptored up

Archived