ARK: Scorched Earth - Expansion Pack

bedsidespider

So the "Something else very big..." in the patch notes, its an expansion! Here's the deleted steam thread cashed by google with the relevant links in a somewhat better organized format than my original post, clearly I need more coffee.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:pC0Y2LhG19IJ:https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/355043117509759200/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

5 minutes ago, ehuhoser said:

That article is 12 months ago and even mentions an Ark release date of June of this year 2016 which is long gone.  Yet I'm curious on the uploads you mention.  

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of the delay on release, but at the same time we've been getting these desert biome dossiers for some time now. The article mentions expansions being planned and worked on concurrently with the main release so it's very likely this was going on before the release date was pushed back.

I would not be at all surprised if this Expansion was legit and coming very soon, however, given the current state of the game I sincerely hope they will not charge for it. Not because I personally would not be willing to pay, or because I am terribly upset with the way things are, but because I have zero confidence in the grace of the rest of the fanbase. A lot of people are really upset about bugs and optimization and are worried that release schedule will not be met, mix that with a stark lack of communication from WildCard and you have a recipe for disaster. 

2 hours ago, CyanicEmber said:

I would not be at all surprised if this Expansion was legit and coming very soon, however, given the current state of the game I sincerely hope they will not charge for it. Not because I personally would not be willing to pay, or because I am terribly upset with the way things are, but because I have zero confidence in the grace of the rest of the fanbase. A lot of people are really upset about bugs and optimization and are worried that release schedule will not be met, mix that with a stark lack of communication from WildCard and you have a recipe for disaster. 

Well put, and I agree, I don't mind supporting a game that I love, even with its faults I love ark to questionably unhealthy levels (3600+ hours since release and still going strong) and wouldn't mind purchasing an expansion to further support its development, my tribe even feels the same way. There was a time when communication was very strong between the developers and the community (TRH are you still out there?), but its likely there are just too many balls being juggled at once so-to-speak. This leaves little time for the more detailed change-logs and Ark Digests of the past. It can be easy to forget how far things have come from the beginning.

I will just say I would be salty if you have to pay for this (depending on the price). If this come out now and it costs like 20 or 30 dollars then I cant get it because now is the time I pre order all these games that are coming out (Battlefield, Skyrim etc) and I wont have the money to buy a dlc. If Wildcard is going to release dlc then I hope a season pass if made so i don't have to buy every dlc when they come out. Also if the dlc is literally a new map with entirely new creatures and new items then it is definitely worth 15 - 20 dollars. I want to support WC but they picked kind of a poor time to release such a thing. 

I'm in the same line of thought as a lot of people posting here. While a DLC release would be cool, it would be in somewhat poor taste for Wildcard to peddle it out to us while we're helping them work toward a completed game (we're basically helping them do a good part of their job, and paying them for the opportunity to do so). If the DLC is free, however, then big whoop, I'm fine with it, and everything's hunky dory. Personally, though, I'm hoping this announcement will actually be cross-platform server hosting, which would also make sense given the same-day release date for PC and XBone.

7 hours ago, PuffyPony said:

I'm in the same line of thought as a lot of people posting here. While a DLC release would be cool, it would be in somewhat poor taste for Wildcard to peddle it out to us while we're helping them work toward a completed game (we're basically helping them do a good part of their job, and paying them for the opportunity to do so). If the DLC is free, however, then big whoop, I'm fine with it, and everything's hunky dory. Personally, though, I'm hoping this announcement will actually be cross-platform server hosting, which would also make sense given the same-day release date for PC and XBone.

Oh that would certainly make things interesting =D

I'd be willing to pony up 10 to 15 dollars for an expansion pack.  I've said as much before and I should put my money where my mouth is.

But isn't a little weasely to call a desert biome an "expansion" and charge for it but not have done the same for the other biomes that were released into the core game?   At the very least the precedent has been set that new content is folded into the game and not labeled as an expansion.  

Perhaps Wildcard simply needs a new revenue stream to keep going.  Which is perfectly understandable.  Game development is expensive.  I suspect a fair number of Ark players would be willing to even donate a few bucks if they really are cash strapped.

I can't imagine them hitting the December release date.  They still have to add Primal Survival and a bunch of critters.  And Tek Tier (assuming that ever happens).  And squash bugs and the like.  But does it matter if they miss the release date?  We still have the game and we're still getting new content for the game.  The only advantage I can see to a "finished" version of the game is that they will have squashed more bugs.  But most games these days aren't really finished at retail release.  It usually takes the developers at least a couple of weeks to fix enough of the bugs to make it fully playable.  

Though the PS4 users are getting left out in the cold which is too bad (yes I'm aware this is Sony's fault).

I've gotten my $30 worth. Considering how I barely play anymore, I've shut down my dedicated server, and the excitement for P+ is no longer there for me, I feel as if this game has run its course. Would I cough up more money for an expansion? Absolutely not unless it added new game mechanics and content on top of them fixing the current bugs in the system. I don't see that happening. Besides, like it's been said, they'd be out of their mind to expect people to pony up more cash with the current state of the game.

In a few months you'll have double/triple A titles hitting shelves and Ark is going to take a massive hit to their player base. Whatever this "something big" is, they better hope it's enough to keep players' attention. I don't believe an expansion is going to do that; if "something big" means a huge patch to fix current bugs, polish off content and give a solid release date in order to stay relevant than this game possibly stands a chance.

Regardless, a new biome, a couple new items and a new dinosaur or two packed up in an "expansion", with or without a price tag, and labeled as "big" is going to be underwhelming. 

*Edit: Looks like there is mention of expansion packs. We'll see!

Jesse RapczakFor us an expansion pack is a huge thing. It’s not like, hey, here’s a couple more dinos. An expansion pack for us would be probably close to the order of magnitude of what the base game is, in a lot of ways. So we’re thinking about that. But again, when we do something like that, there will be a lot of value in that, just like there is in the base game. We’re not trying to do what some big publishers do, which is a unique position we’re in.

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2016/08/23/after-one-year-ark-survival-evolved-developer-is-expertly-navigating-early-access/

Archived