Equus/Unicorn Question

GameFreak

I tamed them all the time on ASE and I've tamed a couple of equus, and 1 unicorn on ASA.  the method has not changed as far as I know.  

if you're trying to feed and jumping off, or being thrown off, you are trying to feed too soon.  you need to wait for the notification.  there should be a flashing message in the lower right, and at the same time the equus will start kicking it's hind legs.  sorry if this is info you already knew.

4 minutes ago, GameFreak said:

i knew that and thats how i was doing it but it just makes me jump off every time so i cant tame it

If you're trying on an official server, I can almost guarantee that the problem is lag/server performance. From the many, many (MANY) people complaining about the servers having worse performance than ASE, it should be assumed that anything which requires careful timing will not work well, or at least will not work well consistently.

If you're trying it on local/single-player game, I don't have any ideas.

If you're doing it on an official, try doing it on a local/single-player game and see if you have the same problem.

• 3 weeks later...

i don't think it's related to an issue using a keyboard vs a controller.  i have the game on both the ps5 and PC and i'm able to do it correctly on both.

two issues i've found that will dump me off the Equus/Unicorn:

if i have a dangerous dino nearby like an allo or a rex that is too close, then i go to feed the Equus it will rear up and run away preventing me from mounting.

if i accidently tap the feed key when it doesn't need to be fed it acts as the mount dismount key.  this can happen for a variety of reasons. i'm guessing this is your issue, and I'm guessing it is due to server/pc lag.  timing feeding while you're mounted is sometimes tricky, and if there is any lag it may be throwing off your timing.  

a friend of mine just doesn't even try to tame Equus anymore because he ALWAYS double taps the feed key so he feeds then immediately gets dismounted. 

Hello, Xbox user as well and I am also having the issue. It is INCREDIBLY frustrating. I never had this problem on Evolved.

Just to clarify I’m on a PRIVATE server with one other person, not official. It’s basically a brand new server minus a greenhouse and a workshop. I have had zero issues with lag/bungee cording after attaching Ethernet cable instead of WiFi.

I am convinced that this is a bug. Especially after seeing someone else have the same issue. I first thought they changed the feed button when mounted. After MULTIPLE attempts on different Equus and many buttons pressed for testing purposes none worked. So it must still be the same button that is now acting as dismount instead of feed.

This is incredibly frustrating and upsetting. I’ve found several lovely level Equus that I cannot tame.