what the point of taming adult, if you can just claim their babies

L4D2

played the original ark game, but not yet the new ascended remake, i watch some video of gameplay, and noticed that now once you kill the adult dino ,

all you have to do is walk to the baby and claim it, that seem way too easy, also you get the bonus 50% taming on the baby, like the adult is lv 150, the baby will be 225 once claimed

what  the point of taming wild adult now?

from what i understand  claiming babies is like hatching them, you have the imprint bonus, rider bonus etc...

A couple points are... If they're high level and opposite gender (and something you want) you can breed them later to get a better/imprinted one. Don't have to search around for another high level. Secondly, some enjoy the immersion aspect and wouldn't think of murdering momma in front of baby in real life so they don't do it in game either.

However, I do agree that if your talking about a level 10 Lystro...just get the kid (if you need one) and move on.

Edited by Penguin73
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, L4D2 said:

played the original ark game, but not yet the new ascended remake, i watch some video of gameplay, and noticed that now once you kill the adult dino ,

all you have to do is walk to the baby and claim it, that seem way too easy, also you get the bonus 50% taming on the baby, like the adult is lv 150, the baby will be 225 once claimed

what  the point of taming wild adult now?

from what i understand  claiming babies is like hatching them, you have the imprint bonus, rider bonus etc...

Because some either don't have wild babies or wild babies are rare? Plus how are you going to tame the baby? It's parent needs to be tamed or dead for that so there's the catch 22 of needing a tame to kill the parent to tame the baby right? Plus high levels are rare so why not tame the parent? Tame parent and maybe have 2 high levels for a breeding pair vs spending days trying to find a 2nd high level of that dino.

• Thanks 1

You don't have to kill the parent to get the baby, you can also tame the parent. Got 2 rexes this way :)

But I agree that killing the parents is often easier than taming especially on 1 x tame rate games. Not sure if any of those dinos with an annoying taming method have babies but I will certainly prefer looking for a baby over some difficult tames.

• Thanks 1

i'm surprised no one has pointed out the most obvious benefit of taming the parent. the bonus levels it gets from the tame.

if there is a lvl 100 rex with a level 100 baby.  if you claim the baby its still lvl 100.  where as if you tame the parent it will get the bonus levels from the taming efficiency. 

claiming the baby is easy in the short run, but limits the levels.  taming the parent takes more effort but comes with the bonus levels.

just my humble opinion.

• Thanks 4

19 hours ago, kolpo said:

You don't have to kill the parent to get the baby, you can also tame the parent. Got 2 rexes this way :)

But I agree that killing the parents is often easier than taming especially on 1 x tame rate games. Not sure if any of those dinos with an annoying taming method have babies but I will certainly prefer looking for a baby over some difficult tames.

I believe there is a distance thing related to that. If the baby is close to the parent then I have been unable to claim. Killing the parent makes babies wild and you can claim easily but they do run away scared after you kill the parent.

• Thanks 1

i think its a good thing. taming is a big part of ark, and necessary if you wanna do bosses etc. i love that theres a new way of doing it now. suits multiple playstyles. i always found it a PITA to find, trap and manually tame creatures. having to make traps etc was especially annoying at times. now theres a new way of doing it which means i can play the game in a way that suits me better. i love it.
i guess if you prefer the old way then carry on doing that too ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2023 at 10:43 AM, L4D2 said:

also you get the bonus 50% taming on the baby, like the adult is lv 150, the baby will be 225 once claimed

1 hour ago, Stewbawl said:

i'm surprised no one has pointed out the most obvious benefit of taming the parent. the bonus levels it gets from the tame.

if there is a lvl 100 rex with a level 100 baby.  if you claim the baby its still lvl 100.  where as if you tame the parent it will get the bonus levels from the taming efficiency. 

Uhmmm... well one of you is wrong visa v the level bonus being applied to babies.

44 minutes ago, Cinnamongod said:

I believe there is a distance thing related to that. If the baby is close to the parent then I have been unable to claim.

I think when you find a baby and are able to claim it with out having done something to its parents, it is because something else killed it's parents. I don' think there is a distance thing.

I'm not on asa to test any of this, just inferring from videos and texts i've seen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Uhmmm... well one of you is wrong visa v the level bonus being applied to babies.

i've tamed and raised several babies and none of them gained any bonus levels from their wild level, only the levels attained from experience once fully grown.

i will add that this experience is on an unofficial server, but i do not beleive they have made any changes that would affect this.  most of their settings are official settings.

• Thanks 2

So here's how I view it thus far:

NORMAL TAMES
+ Bonus levels with taming efficiency (which can be controlled, i.e. if you want a low level for breeding you can just punch them until 0%)
+ Can immediately saddle up, use, and/or breed
- Can be more difficult than just grabbing babies, especially for higher levels or tougher species
- If carrying with a flier, some can fight back so you'll need to watch your HP

BABY CLAIMS
+ Much easier to do, simply kill parents and claim baby
+ Baby dinos are cute
+ If you can carry them off with a flyer, they typically won't fight back
- Can't immediately ride/use/breed; baby needs to grow first
- Will need food on hand for baby so it doesn't die
- Not a guarantee to find one or even have one spawn at all

I could be missing a few points (and I'm still confused on the whole bonus level thing) but that should be the gist of it. Overall there are upsides and downsides to both routes. And, of course, taming the parents means you can claim the baby as well!

I adopted my first rex after seeing the parent killed by a few angry brontos while flying overhead, so that was definitely an easy powerful dino at the start. Meanwhile, I had to manually tame my first Theri because I've never seen one with a baby.

• Thanks 1