No Longer Able to Run Private ASA Servers... maybe?

Arambourgiania

I Refunded ASA if I cannot run my own server then no reason to time sink in ASA! I have OVER 10k hours on my own server siting in my own server rack next to me! If I cannot do the same with ASA then I'm out AND THIS IS WHY I ONLY WANT TO RUN MY OWN SERVER! I am fine with continuing my ASE game with my friends and scrap ASA! This is Because I can since I have my own secured server I can continue my way!

ARK 2 lol will prob cause ASA server wipe or some other excuse and well if I cannot do it myself on my own server then no point in running on their less than stellar servers to get wiped before I can even finish the game

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, zero064 said:

Wow, that changes things. I'll wait to hear what they have to say, but I might be getting my credit card out soon.

I can confirm I was able to download anonymously!

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...OK
Waiting for client config...OK
Waiting for user info...OK
"@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType" = "windows"
 Update state (0x11) preallocating, progress: 0.00 (0 / 9184137757)
 Update state (0x61) downloading, progress: 0.05 (4194304 / 9184137757)

6 minutes ago, zero064 said:

Does anybody know if the command line arguments are the same as they were for ASE? It's been a very long time since I had to do this without the help of ASM.

more or less the same for command line and gameusersettings.ini. the ASA codepath still has even legacy servers setup bits xD

hard to check game.ini since the main function that initialized such values was implemented with a singleton that the compiler optimised reading sparse values on .rdata
as about dedicated server pdb, previous update made it unreadable, at least with certain tools. maybe this last update will fix this.

Edited by darkradeon
  • Thanks 1

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to No Longer Able to Run Private ASA Servers... maybe?
  • Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, darkradeon said:

steam DRM and the nitrado "drm" are two different pieces.

Not sure how that pertains to what I said, but in any cases, the server and client builds have been published ~15 minutes ago allowing us to run multiple servers and play at the same time.

I sure hope this isn't a bait and switch strategy by WildCard. Giving back the ability to host our own servers for awhile, once they have filled their pockets with our money, they revert the changes back and then it will be too late for refunds. Why implement these restrictions in the first place? Sounds very similar to the Unity Pay-Per-Install disaster.

Edited by Ermelious

43 minutes ago, Ermelious said:

I sure hope this isn't a bait and switch strategy by WildCard. Giving back the ability to host our own servers for awhile, once they have filled their pockets with our money, they revert the changes back and then it will be too late for refunds. Why implement these restrictions in the first place? Sounds very similar to the Unity Pay-Per-Install disaster.

Once you release something it's almost impossible to take it back legally thankfully.

Okay so you can install with steamcmd. I can start the server with the ArkAscendedServer.exe (new shootergame) but dont see anything in the files for the ini files? I tried setting up a batch file to start it with TheIsland but not sure it worked. Has anyone gotten one up and running? if so, what steps are needed?

26 minutes ago, slydog1225 said:

Okay so you can install with steamcmd. I can start the server with the ArkAscendedServer.exe (new shootergame) but dont see anything in the files for the ini files? I tried setting up a batch file to start it with TheIsland but not sure it worked. Has anyone gotten one up and running? if so, what steps are needed?

https://ark.wiki.gg/wiki/Dedicated_server_setup

Either this is region locked, or I have the wrong App ID, or the change has been rolled back?

app_update 2430930
ERROR! Failed to install app '2430930' (No subscription)
quit

----------EDIT-----------
OK a 2nd attempt worked? 

Edited by DirkInSA

12 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

Either this is region locked, or I have the wrong App ID, or the change has been rolled back?

app_update 2430930
ERROR! Failed to install app '2430930' (No subscription)
quit

It's working fine for me in North America with that app ID. I'm re-installing as we speak after I managed to break the dino spawners on my first server.