Boycott ASA IF NO new servers for console.

Just curious about what console players are thinking ATM. I, for one, will NOT purchase the game if there has been a "head start" given to pc players. If they release new servers for console, I will purchase. I will not play starting at a disadvantage, mainly due to finding a decent location on the island. Hopefully, new/fresh/console servers will be available in "November". Hopefully soon. Please be respectful, would just like to hear your thoughts/opinions. Thanks. 

I agree, but from what I have seen said by others, its only supposed to be Windows store pc that's crossplat, but not only is that just stupid sounding, but who games on a pc and doesn't have steam? I feel like they only did this to get nitrado off their backs. Like "Heheh, see, we released it before the end of October." complete with the Randall Weems posture from Recess

image.jpeg.8ecb9b41360063f97144b95c5b5bd53e.jpeg

• Volunteer Moderator

I suggest you guys read CC381:

On 9/29/2023 at 8:43 PM, StudioWildcard said:

Q: Tell us more about Crossplay? How will that work?

Okay, so we will have a 3-phase system for rolling out crossplay. This is because it allows us to iterate more rapidly after launching a fresh title and makes managing our operations much less complicated, allowing us to deliver you a better experience. Also, we’re waiting for updates on the engine/plugin side to enhance the experience further ;).

Phase 1: Launch - Time Frame: October

TLDR: Crossplay will be enabled for Xbox Series X/S, Windows PC, and PlayStation 5. 
Crossplay will not work for Steam PC at launch. 

Why? Frankly, when we launch the game, we’ll have to patch a lot because you’re going to find things we missed or break the game in ways we never identified, and we’d prefer to be able to patch the Steam platform very quickly to resolve these issues. 

Once the game has passed the launch hurdles and has entered a more stable state, certifying builds on other platforms will be much quicker, and so, at that point, we’ll look into enabling full crossplay.

We’ll split Official Servers between the respective ‘crossplay’ platforms. We also intend to host some servers that are crossplay only between Xbox Series X/S and PlayStation 5 to keep out the PC Master Race folks (namely, so you stop asking us about it on Twitter (X) :))

Phase 2: Full Crossplay - Time frame December (This is a Wildcard ETA ;))

TLDR: Crossplay is now enabled for ALL PLATFORMS. Meaning Steam can play with Xbox and vice versa.

At this point, we will be at a stage where the game can fully enable crossplay for all platforms. So we'll be merging the PC Steam network with the specific "Xbox, Playstation, and Windows" network.

What this means is that we’ll be aiming to patch all platforms simultaneously and keep them running on the same version, and it is at this point Steam users will be able to play on the same servers as their console friends directly.

This applies to both Official and Unofficial servers, but don’t worry; we’ll still have a separate Official network online that is restricted to just Xbox and PlayStation users (without PC)!

Phase 3: Cross Progression - Time frame: 2024

Cross Progression isn’t going to be enabled with Full Crossplay because we’ll need to integrate some forthcoming updates to the Epic Online Services system. We don’t have an exact timeframe for that because it’s out of our control, and the integration may take some time. Plus, we’re still working out the kinks for how we intend to enable cross-progression for existing accounts, so we’ll share more on that later.

Hard to say how this cross-platform thing is going to work until it is actually available.  Oh, now I see the post above, so that is how it will work.

I play exclusively on the PC. A few months back I was playing Warframe and they had just added cross-platform. For that game, it was just the minimum support. No cross-platform saves, so you could not save on PC and then switch to playing the same character on XBox. Also, you could chose to only join in game sessions with just your platform (like just PC players). Warframe supports up to 4 players at a time in a session.

So my prediction here is that we will be able to play cross-platform and also chose to only play with the same platform. That means consoles will need to have their own servers. 

See above post, yes, consoles will have their own servers.

Edited by wildbill

• Volunteer Moderator

Phase 2: Full Crossplay - Time frame December (This is a Wildcard ETA ;))

TLDR: Crossplay is now enabled for ALL PLATFORMS. Meaning Steam can play with Xbox and vice versa.

At this point, we will be at a stage where the game can fully enable crossplay for all platforms. So we'll be merging the PC Steam network with the specific "Xbox, Playstation, and Windows" network.

Interesting. So it sounds like console players will get the same chance of claiming land and starting fresh with one another at least. Also, it sounds like the PC steam players would have to change servers to join cross play when it is enabled? So a level advantage and a tames dino advantage. Not a problem for PVE. Seems like a problem for PVP. Thanks for all the responses. I know we are all probably curious as to how things are going to go. Appreciate all the info being shared. 

6 minutes ago, TheHatedConsolePlayer said:

Interesting. So it sounds like console players will get the same chance of claiming land and starting fresh with one another at least. Also, it sounds like the PC steam players would have to change servers to join cross play when it is enabled? So a level advantage and a tames dino advantage. Not a problem for PVE. Seems like a problem for PVP. Thanks for all the responses. I know we are all probably curious as to how things are going to go. Appreciate all the info being shared. 

Dont think they would need to change servers, they just would be able to transfer to each other servers if they want to. 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, CatInFire said:

Dont think they would need to change servers, they just would be able to transfer to each other servers if they want to. 

They would probably have to start fresh on those new crossplay clusters. The wording is vague on how the new clusters in phase 2 are created. In the past, there's been no transferring allowed between clusters. Time will tell. 

• Thanks 1

So, if you're wanting to play cross platform, there's no point in building up anything until those servers are available.

Do you think there should be transfers because of this? Maybe limited. Character, set number of dinos, no items for an example. That way someone can't transfer 100 pillars and ladders lol. 

Will you be picking a server and sticking to it or change once cross play is available? 

Do you think they will/should bring out the cross play servers when they release scorched earth? Kind of makes sense to me. Why play for weeks or a month to start over on the same map? Yes, with friends, but would be annoying. 

Interested to hear your thoughts and opinions. 🙂

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, TheHatedConsolePlayer said:

So, if you're wanting to play cross platform, there's no point in building up anything until those servers are available.

Do you think there should be transfers because of this? Maybe limited. Character, set number of dinos, no items for an example. That way someone can't transfer 100 pillars and ladders lol. 

Will you be picking a server and sticking to it or change once cross play is available? 

Do you think they will/should bring out the cross play servers when they release scorched earth? Kind of makes sense to me. Why play for weeks or a month to start over on the same map? Yes, with friends, but would be annoying. 

Interested to hear your thoughts and opinions. 🙂

Still a lot of little details missing.

This is the interesting part:

"So we'll be merging the PC Steam network with the specific "Xbox, Playstation, and Windows" network"

If taken literally, they will merge the Steam network that is starting up today with the "Xbox, Playstation, and Windows" network that doesn't start in over a month.

If taken not so literally they may start a new Steam network that is merged with the consoles. Leaving everyone playing now on Steam by themselves. Which seems pretty unlikely. It's all in the wording. Which is a little light on the details at the moment. 

Edited by Joebl0w13