How to tame a therizino

Donastator

To make this simple trap, there are 2 ways.

1 takes 4 stone dino gateways, and 2 dino gates.

2 takes 4 stone dino gateways, 2 dino gates, and 6 stone foundations.

For the first method, place down the 4 gates, with roughly the players width in between. Place the gate on the first and last gateway. You should now have 4 gates, in a straight line, forming a tunnel with the ends closed. Next open one gate, attract the theri and once its in, slip out the hole you left in the side. Finally, go around and close the open gate.

For the second strategy, first place the foundations in a 2x3 arrangement. Put gates on the 2 snap points in the middle, and the 2 on the edge. They should all lead into a straight line. Then it's the same as strategy 1!

Please let me know if you have any feedback!

7 minutes ago, Donastator said:

For the first method, place down the 4 gates, with roughly the players width in between. Place the gate on the first and last gateway. You should now have 4 gates, in a straight line, forming a tunnel with the ends closed. Next open one gate, attract the theri and once its in, slip out the hole you left in the side. Finally, go around and close the open gate.

For the second strategy, first place the foundations in a 2x3 arrangement. Put gates on the 2 snap points in the middle, and the 2 on the edge. They should all lead into a straight line. Then it's the same as strategy 1!

Be careful though cause they can damage stone so if you will take too long it might be a good idea to do metal instead.

11 hours ago, Donastator said:

and 6 stone foundations.

A general note on building taming traps - it's better to build on pillars & ceiling tiles than using foundations, because foundations have a bigger impact on animal spawns.

Also, just a personal opinion on taming traps, I prefer to build them generic rather than for a specific species. A 2x2 with walls 2 tiles high and ramps leading up from opposite directions will let you trap a wide variety of stuff rather than trying to craft traps for specific species.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Donastator said:

Too complicated, a generic open box with ramps is way easier and safer to use. Use fence supports in stead of foundations with a wall to snap the ramps on. A pillar might be needed to provide a grounded snap to get the ramps down far enough.
And clean it up after you are done taming.

Edited by MMaas

9 minutes ago, MMaas said:

Too complicated, a generic open box with ramps is way easier and safer to use. Use fence supports in stead of foundations with a wall to snap the ramps on. A pillar might be needed to provide a grounded snap to get the ramps down far enough.
And clean it up after you are done taming.

I've always been a fan of the ramp traps as well, when net gun is not available. And noted above, they can damage stone, but it's mad negligible. It would take them hours to break out. And to any one attempting their first tame, if on official, have LOTS of narcotics available as their torpor drops fast!

• Thanks 1

I have found that narcoberries work better than narcotics for keeping creatures with fast dropping torpor (like therizinos or gigas) asleep.  Narcoberries take longer to apply their torpor than narcotics; which is good, that slower torpor rise makes them sleep longer.  You want to wait to use the narcoberries until right before the theri wakes up, to maximize the amount of time they sleep before needing another dose.  A high level theri will wake up in about 15 minutes, which is plenty of time to farm up lots of narcoberries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Donastator said:

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm aware of the 2x2 with ramps leading into it, I didn't realize that works with theris though.

If you can get yourself a raft and a crossbow, go kill some jellyfish! Biotoxin is very effective to keep torpor up or make shocking tranq darts if you got a longneck rifle.

On 9/13/2023 at 8:52 PM, Cowgirl said:

Be careful though cause they can damage stone so if you will take too long it might be a good idea to do metal instead.

Unless you have a good bow or rifle then yes, it would be wise to use metal.

22 hours ago, Donastator said:

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm aware of the 2x2 with ramps leading into it, I didn't realize that works with theris though.

It certainly works but be careful. Theris are squirrely and its sometimes difficult to get them to follow you directly.

On 9/14/2023 at 3:44 AM, Donastator said:

If you replace the one end dino gate with a couple pillars, you get a "space" where a petra can fly through, but an argy cannot. That is how I normally make an argy trap - but not to say it will not work for therie's, or a bunch of stuff.