egg incubator Giant Moa - A Fast Flightless Bird with a Small Platform Saddle

I love this suggestion! Absolutely LOVE. A utility creature wins out over the next 8675309th super predator any day of the week as far as I'm concerned!

In true Ark fashion, it would be nice (if when this wins) if they added some Aepyornis genes into the Dinornis mix - just something I love about the Aepy's massively thick legs, what a kick those could give! In fact, here's an Aepyornis sketch I made for a creature mod entry quite some time ago! Almost forgot I had it~

Aepyornis.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/8/2023 at 8:06 AM, ashgcy said:

Love this goofy fellow! Sad I lost the 10th place with Gigantoraptor, but hopefully can pull back through without knocking it out in the process! Giant silly bird for the win! Maybe even two birds/bird-like suggestions!

In terms of taming, perhaps it could be KO'd by using chain bolas to make it trip over? Those long legs may be great for transport, but also would mean it could probably be knocked over quite easily

Edit: Okay so in the past few days Gigantoraptor blew up, honoured to share the top 10 positions with a fellow "giant silly bird" enjoyer!

I do like the idea of a chase-and-trip method of taming it, but chain bolas just make so much you have to go prepare first and I’d still like the option of run-and-gun taming on the fly without having to take forever to prepare materials to take down one creature.

Maybe the regular bola for tripping it or making it stumble for an opportunity to open up of some kind when taming it, but not while needing a whole ballista turret with you and all that.

Maybe even having to hit its knees (or legs in general) with a slingshot. Not being used for knocking it out and being used for its own mechanic might actually make that very early game-easy to get ahold of object very useful again.

I really like the idea just not the mandatory ballista turret part. Never tamed Tropeognathus yet because when I find one I never want to go through with gathering everything together first and then having to retrack and find it. Rather just be able to pull what I need together quick on the fly like a simple slingshot or something.

just my opinion.

Edited by GhostCreep

I like this idea a lot Cap, but a few suggestions.

instead of a platform saddle, a normal speedier saddle and then a unique saddle option with a built-in tent that might slow down the Moa slightly, but add protection from the elements and have the saddle double as a smithy like the Argy. Along with a weight reduction on eggs, but adding reduction to wood, metal, etc. only when that specific tent-saddle is on.

Next, when wearing the normal speedier saddle I suggest a super jump comparable to the Baboon’s minus the climbing, and a really fast sprint, giving a different bonus when wearing either saddle. Making it trade off between speed and utility.

Seed gatherer is great but would like to get a buff on sap, rare flower and mushroom gather rates also.

Finally, I think the “Fluff Fall” to reduce damage is great to pair with the super jump, and I like having it immune to sandstorms and weather effects. To add to this, I would like to see it stick its head in the sand when a sandstorm is coming lol jk but that would be hilarious.

What I’d really suggest is gathering a static charge in their Fluff during Thunderstorms that can be used somehow. Maybe could be put into a generator to save gas for a short time.

In a sandstorm it could gather seeds, rare flowers, rare mushrooms, silk and other small amounts of plant resources in its Fluff, like sand is added to our inventories, but the Moa would have small amounts of multiple natural plant materials added getting stuck in its Fluff throughout the storm.

Finally in a heat wave it should give it a speed boost even if it is wearing the tent saddle. Making it move faster at the hottest times.

and honest opinion it shouldn’t have to be tamed during a storm… buffs from the storms are one thing but having to tame it in a storm makes it too situational. I think a timer from when it drops an egg would even be kind of hard to wait around for but I do like the concept.

Them spawning on the border of the open Dunes around the map makes sense.

Maybe one of the 2 Moas that spawn together could already be sitting on a twig nest and egg that starts attracting predators, and then you have to help the male defend them without the female and egg being attacked. Once the timer ends and predators stop coming (Maybe 3-5 random or a pack of Dire Wolves or Terror Birds) you have another 60 second timer start and when you are present at the end when the egg hatches it imprints on you instead of the parents for some reason.

Kind of keeps the concept without needing to wait for a storm. Would be a lot easier to just steal the egg lol. Maybe you tame the defending parent that way? Allowing either male or female to sit on or defend the nest and you can tame which ever gender is defending the nest. Earning its trust defending its family with it. Males could be more common defending nests so females are harder to get for a mating pair that could also give a buff to egg incubation or egg laying like the Oviraptor when there is a mate boosted pair in radius.

Edited by GhostCreep
  • Like 1

I’m pretty sure that giant moa’s lived in New Zealand’s temperate rainforests and not deserts. Also didn’t the this creature submissions guidelines say the the creature has to fit in with the maps setting being a desert map so I’d expect that creatures being added to the submissions would have at least inhabited deserts and savanna’s when they were alive roaming the earth which said Giant Moa didn’t inhabit either of those environments.

3 hours ago, AerinSavago said:

I love this suggestion! Absolutely LOVE. A utility creature wins out over the next 8675309th super predator any day of the week as far as I'm concerned!

In true Ark fashion, it would be nice (if when this wins) if they added some Aepyornis genes into the Dinornis mix - just something I love about the Aepy's massively thick legs, what a kick those could give! In fact, here's an Aepyornis sketch I made for a creature mod entry quite some time ago! Almost forgot I had it~

Aepyornis.jpg

I would love it if they added genes to mut. the bird to be fluffy, they kind of did something like that on Ark mobile with the Dodos so folks can breed bigger Dodos to ride. I love very furry or feathery critters. 

1 hour ago, TheDragonAssassin said:

I’m pretty sure that giant moa’s lived in New Zealand’s temperate rainforests and not deserts. Also didn’t the this creature submissions guidelines say the the creature has to fit in with the maps setting being a desert map so I’d expect that creatures being added to the submissions would have at least inhabited deserts and savanna’s when they were alive roaming the earth which said Giant Moa didn’t inhabit either of those environments.

I believe the elephant bird did live in desert like area, so who knows Wc may change the critters  name.

"Dinornis were very adaptable and were present in a wide range of habitats from coastal to alpine." 

" Eggs may have been laid in communal nests in sand dunes"

Dinornis - Wikipedia

New Zealand has a variety of deserts, including:

• Sand dunes: New Zealand's largest sand dune system is located in the Catlins, on the South Island's southeast coast. The dunes are up to 30 meters high and cover an area of over 3,000 hectares.
  • Stony deserts: These deserts are found in the interior of the South Island and are characterized by rocky outcrops and sparse vegetation.
  • Volcanic deserts: These deserts are found on the North Island and are characterized by volcanic ash and rock formations.
  • Tundra deserts: These high altitude deserts are found in the Southern Alps of the South Island and are characterized by cold temperatures, high winds, and sparse vegetation.

Andrewsarchus most likely lived in Arid environments, yet it was put on one Norwegian styled map. I understand what you're getting at and can somewhat relate, but then again, Ark isn't exactly realistic when it comes to creatures. My main hope is that whatever creature wins the vote is appeasing and has a unique use. 

16 hours ago, Somes said:

The only issue I have with this submission is the added taming in sandstorm mechanic. It will make it forced to Scorched and well...its not my favorite map because of the storms. 
The idea is ok but I really will not find it "fun" to tame in a sandstorm...it will actually become annoying. I like difficulty but if its obnoxious than I usually pass on the tame.
Also, if I wanted to add the code for it to spawn on other maps that do not have the sandstorms than I can not tame it. Not all of us can afford to run clustered servers.

At the end of the day, I guess modders can change those things for those reasons but it could be said the other way around as well. 

Dude. Every creature in this vote is forced to scorched whatever wins will only naturally spawn on scorched earth in Ark Ascended. This is the Scorched Earth Ascended creature vote for a reason. 

BUT I understand your pain I despise sandstorms. 

38 minutes ago, captainfatdog said:

"Dinornis were very adaptable and were present in a wide range of habitats from coastal to alpine." 

" Eggs may have been laid in communal nests in sand dunes"

Dinornis - Wikipedia

New Zealand has a variety of deserts, including:

• Sand dunes: New Zealand's largest sand dune system is located in the Catlins, on the South Island's southeast coast. The dunes are up to 30 meters high and cover an area of over 3,000 hectares.
  • Stony deserts: These deserts are found in the interior of the South Island and are characterized by rocky outcrops and sparse vegetation.
  • Volcanic deserts: These deserts are found on the North Island and are characterized by volcanic ash and rock formations.
  • Tundra deserts: These high altitude deserts are found in the Southern Alps of the South Island and are characterized by cold temperatures, high winds, and sparse vegetation.

I stand corrected, I didn’t know there were these different types of deserts in New Zealand.

• Like 1

I'm seeing some awesome ideas here! I always imagined the Moa as being a cool idea for an ark creature, and it was my first thought when I saw there was going to be a scorched earth creature submission - so I'm glad I saw someone else had come up with this!

Another idea I had in mind for them is somewhat of a "primitive tek sprint" where they go into a super sprint. Ratites are known for being able to run pretty fast, so it would make sense if they had this type of ability. I think it would make more sense if this super sprint ability was only available without a platform saddle, so they don't have the extra weight. Imagine stealing a wyvern egg and just going superspeed on this big fluffy bird, evading lightning blasts 😆

• Like 1

10 hours ago, loudplatipus said:

I hope this does not win purely because captainfatdog is a popular ark youtuber. i think this is an interesting suggestion but i dont want it to win because of people trying to please fatdog. I want other creatures to have somewhat of a chance to win

Go vote for my version than lol.

EDIT: Just realized the Mods did actually merge my submission to this one,cool beans.

Edited by Somes
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, DJ4275 said:

Dude. Every creature in this vote is forced to scorched whatever wins will only naturally spawn on scorched earth in Ark Ascended. This is the Scorched Earth Ascended creature vote for a reason. 

BUT I understand your pain I despise sandstorms. 

What about people who have cluster servers that want to use these dinos on other maps? It will happen as usual and then they will have abilities and mechanics that are not useful. I just think something more universal is better.
I mean in real life we have ostrich farmers here in the states up north for example.

I get that its "for SE" but its more "for Ark" at the end of the day. As I said before though, modders can change this stuff later but having it accessible from the start is nicer.

11 hours ago, loudplatipus said:

i think it would be cool if ark did add the moa that they would add the coloration and some crests of the cassowary.

A Giant Bird Killed Its Owner. Now It Could Be Yours. - The New York TimesHow Dangerous Are Cassowaries, Really? - Scientific American Blog NetworkFirst Cassowary Hatches Despite Hazards

I mean... there is another bird-like suggestion in the top 10 with a heavy cassowary theme 👀

Jokes aside, Moa definitely is going for the more emu feel, seeing as it's a desert themed animal. Adding in cassowary features to an animal that doesn't even have a crest would look cool, but not really fit the design

Edited by ashgcy

I love this one, I think that I will vote for him. But I had an idea, Why not make them appear in the oases present in the dunes. It would give them a use. And another idea not coming from me but from "TheCornSnake" in the submissions for the gorgonops, which I found incredible, change their behavior in relation to the weather, during the extreme heat they will be irritable and aggressive and during thunderstorms they will be fearful and will flee if we approach because of the storm. The idea is I think amazing and will make him a unique creature in Scorched Earth. Please take My propositions 

• Like 1