ASA on PS4/PS4 Pro?

Dreamsail555

Suggestion

The announcement shows Ark Survival Ascended being effectively a new game officially to be supported on PC, X-Box Series S/X, and PS5. What about PS4? I know the PS5 is the same architecture, but I also acknowledge the performance differences, having played Ark on both 4 and 5. Will ASA be supported on 4, or am I going to have to convince the rest of my tribe to bite the bullet or have really nice and expensive gifts for (looks up an August holiday)... uh, Lughnasadh?

19 replies to this server topic

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, Dreamsail555 said:

The announcement shows Ark Survival Ascended being effectively a new game officially to be supported on PC, X-Box Series S/X, and PS5. What about PS4? I know the PS5 is the same architecture, but I also acknowledge the performance differences, having played Ark on both 4 and 5. Will ASA be supported on 4, or am I going to have to convince the rest of my tribe to bite the bullet or have really nice and expensive gifts for (looks up an August holiday)... uh, Lughnasadh?

Anything older than the Xbox X/S, PS5 and a PC will not be able to play ASA. 

I am finding that my tribemates are neither willing nor able to upgrade. If I got a sudden windfall and bought them both PS5s AND Ark Ascended, they wouldn't play, because of the shady nature of the forced re-buying coupled with the complete wipe of official servers. So, if I were to re-buy ASA, I'd be on my own, and I have no interest in starting over completely without my friends, when I can game with them on Monster Hunter World and Rise, two games that aren't likely to wipe out our entire game progress, except maybe for that urban legend about Fatalis armor.

So, no friends on PS4, on top of:

Complete wipe of all progress on official servers, regardless of whether or not I upgrade,

Having to re-buy the entire game at full price to get Unreal 5 and ongoing updates, AND

Having to re-buy the DLC maps, again at full price...

We're going to do an indefinite moratorium on any future Snail games or DLC purchases. Even EA is looking at Wildcard and going "whoa... that's bad."

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, AshtonG said:

Well the problem is that some of us aren't rich like some of the other people that play ark some of us can't afford to upgrade our consoles so what we have should give us the right to play the games we want to play because everyone else gets to play what they want to play on their consoles.

The game can't run on the old ps4 period. It's barley running on modern PCs. The ps4 is 10 years old. 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

Had only a single chance to snag the xbox series x two years ago......friggin chip shortage. >.>

I got two XSX on release day. Don’t hate me. Took two hours of button mashing on 4 sites at 2am. 

Edited by Joebl0w13

On 4/3/2023 at 4:29 PM, St1ckyBandit said:

Sorry to my ps4 bros but it's about time. Ps5 is what, 2 years old at this point? Time to start pushing gaming forward and that simply cant happen on woefully outdated hardware.

Honestly the issue is still finding the damn things. Somehow two years later scalpers still have a stranglehold on the things in my neck of the woods

• Sad 1

On 4/5/2023 at 12:47 AM, Joebl0w13 said:

I got two XSX on release day. Don’t hate me. Took two hours of button mashing on 4 sites at 2am. 

I didn't want to be part of that madness, I bid my time, waited till stimulus floated through, then tried to buy......for two weeks. They didn't even have a button to mash. =/ 
I said fug it and bought a piece of art instead XD

• Sad 1

The problem I have is I travel. I played the old junky laggy ARK on the PS5 at home, but unfortunately the PS5 is too awkward and too big to put under the seat in front of you on a plane, so I played using my PS4 Pro at the hotels.

-

I am still unclear if I will even bother with Wild Card again anyways. Like how they released Ascended on the PC and plan to release on PS next month because they are “working out some bugs” ß surprising. So basically allowing PC to pillar every server before we can even join. Just normal WC stuff. If I do play, I would have to remote-play my PS5 from home to my laptop at the hotel, just to logon long enough to refresh. Then back to building my bases on No Man’s Sky.

1 hour ago, nStuffleupagus said:

Like how they released Ascended on the PC and plan to release on PS next month because they are “working out some bugs” ß surprising. So basically allowing PC to pillar every server before we can even join. Just normal WC stuff. 

The devs have specifically addressed this concern; console players will have their own separate server cluster for the first few months, then the console cluster will be merged with the PC cluster. 

That sounds fun.  What happens to our bases when they merge. lol. Do our bases get smashed or do theirs? Typical. Good luck WC figuring that problem out. Plus guessing they mean the servers will all be cross-play, just not the same servers currently hopefully. I don't want to wake up on my Island base on PS5 to find out it got run over due to a silly merge complication. Either way, over it. I will buy it to play with my SKULL alliance friends, but not much more than that. WC sucks and it will most likely have the same issues as before, even though they're using a less bandwidth taxing Unreal engine.

Edited by nStuffleupagus

No, there would be no base smashing.  After a server update the server cluster ID for the console servers and the PC servers would be changed to the same ID, so you could transfer your character over to previously PC only server (and PC players could then transfer over to the formerly console only server) just like any other server transfer.  

On 10/30/2023 at 4:59 PM, AshtonG said:

Well the problem is that some of us aren't rich like some of the other people that play ark some of us can't afford to upgrade our consoles so what we have should give us the right to play the games we want to play because everyone else gets to play what they want to play on their consoles.

Suggesting that anyone is rich because they work to buy a console is absurd. You do not need to be even slightly wealthy.  You expect games to use old graphics forever? If you're a kid who isn't allowed to work than just be grateful you get your ps4 and stop crying that it can't handle unreal 5. 

On 11/15/2023 at 2:06 AM, mathuseleh said:

Suggesting that anyone is rich because they work to buy a console is absurd. You do not need to be even slightly wealthy.  You expect games to use old graphics forever? If you're a kid who isn't allowed to work than just be grateful you get your ps4 and stop crying that it can't handle unreal 5. 

i work almost 70 hours a week and i cant afford to just spend 400-600$ on a new gen console. what makes you think any adult with a job can afford to just do that. not counting people who make over 4 figures because if they cant afford then they just suck at financing