Metal on the center

CMitch24

28 minutes ago, rpicardi1 said:

Get up on most any cliff side, top of the arches, etc... You will find metal and crystal. Obsidian will be harder to come by as it is mostly over at volcano Island. Oil can be found in the rivers. Stone is pretty scattered about both loose and as boulders on the tiny islands. Also up in the interior.

c3QxA4t.jpg

Man ark looks so good on PC :( 

15 hours ago, CMitch24 said:

Im getting close to being able to craft with metal but I'm having a hard time finding metal nodes. On the island it was easy to just hike a mountain. Any tips or maps that show node spawing areas?

The most metal is on the center of the map. On the floating islands top / caves inside the floating island / and below the floating island.

• Volunteer Moderator

If you are close to the C shaped island in the SE, just run up the hill, past the obelisk, and when you get to the cliff, there are a couple dozen metal notes along the cliff.

I usually mine them with my bear, for now; full tilt boogie run up the hill, kill local pests, mine, load the bear, and then full tilt boogie back to my raft.

Later, going to put a mining outpost right there; so full tilt boogie run to the outpost, liesurely ride around to mine the metal, put it in the forge/furnace, load ingots on bear, and then full tilt boogie run back to the raft.  

:D

Just have to watch for an occasional rex or carno, and, of course, the usual assortment of raptors, dilos, compys, scorps, and ants.  But, most herbs on the island, compared to the predators.

okay, dumb question.  To get to the Center (floating) island you have to have a flyer.  But Pterandons can't carry much weight, so how are you supposed to get metal, crystals and such off the island?   Not everyone is capable of tame a argy the first week or so.  Or even wants to, I don't want to go around killing dinos, I want to grow plants, do some fishing for fun, build a base that I can enjoy. Not to raid, kill or attack other bases or players.

So, how would I get such stuff from the floating island? 

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, Janna3921 said:

okay, dumb question.  To get to the Center (floating) island you have to have a flyer.  But Pterandons can't carry much weight, so how are you supposed to get metal, crystals and such off the island?   Not everyone is capable to tame a argy the first week or so.  Or even wants to, I don't want to go around killing dinos, I want to grow plants, do some fishing for fun, build a base that I can enjoy. Not to raid, kill or attack other bases or players.

So, how would I get such stuff from the floating island? 

Well, you would have to do a lot of runs with a Ptera, or try to tame one that has a decent carry weight and only level carry weight, once you have a few points in health and such.

But, there is metal all over the island.  Sometimes, just one or two nodes, sometimes, a dozen, sometimes a couple of dozen.

I have not been the floaty island yet.  Saving that for as long as I can.

• Volunteer Moderator

@CMitch24

Besides the C shaped island in the SE, there is also metal, obsidian, and crystal in the SE, in the big hollow rock that looks like a skull.  I have only been there once and only saw one titanboa.  But, I did not go up high in there, only grabbed the obsidian and returned to base.

A nice raft ride to the SE and visit those two places, and you will be set.  I visited the big skull cave by bird, but I think it accessible from the water.

P.S.  Don't fall into the big pool of lava. :D

Ok this takes a bit of time to do and may seem a bit crazy but you can find metal as was mentioned along any of the beaches atop most of the ruins and the rocks that form arches. No flyer? Got a hatchet, wooden pillar, ladder, and ceiling engrams? Platform your way up the far end so that any foundation issue is minimized and harvest. Some have small crystal nodes as well but likely the gathering amounts will be small. So build a raft will a forge and a container and maybe a camp fire and raft around to the rock faces no one is using. The ones on the large islands edges or not easily approachable but too small or poorly setup for a base, likely no one has bothered with the nodes there. Just play the Donkey Kong theme and get to platforming.

43 minutes ago, CMitch24 said:

Thanks everyone. I feel lije a raft is way more useful on this map. I'll prob make a raft and try exploring these areas suggested and just keep an eye out for other spots.

get on a bird, fly to the NW area of the map, setup 1- 6 forges, harvest metal and wood on site, cook the ingots and ship them out or build what you need there.

Archived