The mysterious case of the babies that should be dead ( Official PvE )

Vit0Corleone

I've had this happening a few times, and again today, and not sure what causes this ( or, more interestingly, how to replicate it ).

I leave a few eggs to hatch, but then life happens and I'm unable to come claim them. Hours and hours go by.

When I do login, I'm obviously thinking they are all going to be dead.

But, instead, not only they are very much alive, but somehow they have grown to 8-10% maturation and also have food levels comparable to what they should have when they just hatched.

So far, this has happened with Wyverns ( original ones ) and Deinos that I can identify.

Does anyone know what may cause this? 

• Vit0Corleone changed the title to The mysterious case of the babies that should be dead ( Official PvE )
32 minutes ago, Oskoo said:

the area may not have been loaded in while you are offline ,

i do not think the game keeps track of dinos when they are not loaded in by you/another player

but i could be wrong.

If that's the case, it would mean I could just build a hatchery on some remote place that no one goes to and have babies born and fully mature by themselves without doing anything.

Seems a bit weird, if this was the case it would probably be a well known and widely used  tactic, but I never heard about it.

The Wyverns I could see reaching 8-10% without a feed depending on food stat if there was some funky stuff going on with stasis to slow down food consumption. But I don't really know how that would work for the Deinos. The only thing I can think of is that if they were hatched and went to stasis immediately, matured to 10% to hit  juvenile and then were able to eat from troughs as soon as you logged on. Since they technically don't eat until they're rendered in, that won't starve until you or someone else renders them. But I don't think that would work if they were unclaimed.

Just now, carbonark said:

The Wyverns I could see reaching 8-10% without a feed depending on food stat if there was some funky stuff going on with stasis to slow down food consumption. But I don't really know how that would work for the Deinos. The only thing I can think of is that if they were hatched and went to stasis immediately, matured to 10% to hit  juvenile and then were able to eat from troughs as soon as you logged on. Since they technically don't eat until they're rendered in, that won't starve until you or someone else renders them. But I don't think that would work if they were unclaimed.

As I said on the OP, their food was roughly the same as if they had just hatched. Sure, in theory some could have survived under normal conditions, but they wouldn't certainly be at full food as they were. 

Also, they were all below 10% ( highest was 9-ish I believe ), so troughs wouldn't play a role here.

The Deinos happened months ago, and they were full 10%+ juvenile by the time I logged in, which ( I think ) shouldn't be possible at all.

Hmm, maybe it would have to be related to them being unclaimed or possibly not being hatched while being rendered. If the egg itself doesn't hatch until rendered or has some sort of stasis type thing going on.

Like with food while in stasis the dinos will consume food before the spoilage is calculated. Maybe with having an egg hatch, mature, and eat it basically has some sort of thing where the hatch and maturation are calculated independently from food consumption. So the game sees it as both just having hatched, and not having drained any food, and also having matured x%?

11 hours ago, Vit0Corleone said:

As I said on the OP, their food was roughly the same as if they had just hatched. Sure, in theory some could have survived under normal conditions, but they wouldn't certainly be at full food as they were. 

Also, they were all below 10% ( highest was 9-ish I believe ), so troughs wouldn't play a role here.

The Deinos happened months ago, and they were full 10%+ juvenile by the time I logged in, which ( I think ) shouldn't be possible at all.

With the wyverns the troughs would be irrelevant... deinons beign juvi makes me think that maybe the trough/ stasis theory has something to it, and with the wyverns either you miss calculate or perhaps a tribe mate fed them with out your knowledge? You say you're on official pve, could have something to do with official pve being bogged down to hell. If there is something janky in the stasis code, and the server is bogged down maybe it just forgets to starve somethings as the come out of stasis. Prty sure there's other threads claiming stasis is starving things that ought to not have...

This only works like this on certain maps.  If nobody flys by the area, then the area was never loaded into anyones memory, the timer on their starvation never begins.  

Certain maps, this means they stay in stasis at 0%, on other maps, they can actually mature.  I'm not sure if there's also a condition if other people are on the server or not in the time that you are gone.  But I've noticed on certain maps they mature if noone gets nearby, and on other maps, they never mature at all.  

BUt now that you have brought this up into the light, I'd assume your new found attention to the issue will undoubtably end the party.  

Thank you for asking about it here...

7 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

with the wyverns either you miss calculate or perhaps a tribe mate fed them with out your knowledge

I didn't do any calculations, there's no need. It's just not possible for a Wyvern to hatch in the evening, and then in the morning hours later be at full food ( full food, as in, I can't give them milk because they are full ).

Also, solo tribe.

14 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

This only works like this on certain maps.  If nobody flys by the area, then the area was never loaded into anyones memory, the timer on their starvation never begins.  

Certain maps, this means they stay in stasis at 0%, on other maps, they can actually mature.  I'm not sure if there's also a condition if other people are on the server or not in the time that you are gone.  But I've noticed on certain maps they mature if noone gets nearby, and on other maps, they never mature at all.  

BUt now that you have brought this up into the light, I'd assume your new found attention to the issue will undoubtably end the party.  

Thank you for asking about it here...

This is correct. If they were eggs or still in tummy of mother and noone loads they will happily grow until rendered. However if you leave them there if already born they will still be starved when rendered again.

Archived