What causes wild dinos to despawn?

ToranStarline

5 hours ago, ToranStarline said:

I'm trying to farm for a female tek rex, but I can't seem to get other dinos to despawn besides killing them. Is there any other way?

Tek Rex's have a low spawn chance. There is only a 5% chance that if a Rex spawns it will spawn as a Tek Rex. 

Example; If you are in an area that spawns say 40 different dinos and the chance that a Rex will be one of those 40 is 1.2% then there is only a 5% chance that the Rex from that 1.2% will be a Tek Rex.

Best chance to get a Tek Rex is Lava Island on the Center map and just keep looping and killing. 

If you are on single player you can find commands to destroy wild dinos by area, by type, or by the whole map. Check the ark wiki and search for console commands to get the command options.

3 hours ago, Uueerdo said:
  • Luring it far enough from it's spawn point that the server despawns it on restart (might also despawn it if the area far from where it spawned goes into and out of stasis, but I am not entirely sure).

I'm pretty sure you are right. Though few dinos might have override of this rule. For example I don't remember titanos or gigas despawning no matter how far they go from original spawn.

16 hours ago, ToranStarline said:

I'm trying to farm for a female tek rex, but I can't seem to get other dinos to despawn besides killing them. Is there any other way?

Two things, time and location.

1) TIme

Dinos will despawn after a period of time that is set on the server. I think that the despawn time on Official servers is 24 hours, but I'm not certain about that so don't hold me to it. But rest assured it's much longer than an hour or two, so if you're looking for a specific species and you're trying to get a high level, the only thing you can do is constantly kill everything in the area so that you cause the game to do a lot of spawning.

2) Location

If a dino moves too far away from it's original spawn point it will despawn as soon as there are no players in the area. So, for example, you can lead animals away from their spawn point (like drag them over a cliff so they can't get back to their spawn point) and they will despawn when you leave their area. This is why the spawn points on mountains or near cliffs are more active than the spawn points in flat areas. If there is a slope or cliff the animals will constantly move downhill away from their spawn point and despawn fairly soon, which then allows new animals to be spawned in.

As a side note, this also means that when you find a good animal at a mountain/cliff spawn points you want to tame it ASAP. If you go away and come back later it might be gone. If you need to get taming supplies make sure you get them and come back as quickly as possible.

37 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Two things, time and location.

1) TIme

Dinos will despawn after a period of time that is set on the server. I think that the despawn time on Official servers is 24 hours, but I'm not certain about that so don't hold me to it. But rest assured it's much longer than an hour or two, so if you're looking for a specific species and you're trying to get a high level, the only thing you can do is constantly kill everything in the area so that you cause the game to do a lot of spawning.

2) Location

If a dino moves too far away from it's original spawn point it will despawn as soon as there are no players in the area. So, for example, you can lead animals away from their spawn point (like drag them over a cliff so they can't get back to their spawn point) and they will despawn when you leave their area. This is why the spawn points on mountains or near cliffs are more active than the spawn points in flat areas. If there is a slope or cliff the animals will constantly move downhill away from their spawn point and despawn fairly soon, which then allows new animals to be spawned in.

As a side note, this also means that when you find a good animal at a mountain/cliff spawn points you want to tame it ASAP. If you go away and come back later it might be gone. If you need to get taming supplies make sure you get them and come back as quickly as possible.

Thank you, this answers all of my questions

Archived