Aberration - Starter area (Easiest) not so easy, read.

caleb68

So I logged into Aberration today, and headed to the starter area (Portal - Easiest Zone) to go get some sheep, and what do I find there?  8 Basilisk.  1 lvl 145, 1 lvl 80, 2 lvl 70, 1 lvl  40, 2 lvl 20, 1 lvl 10. 

Now for this to be a starter area, that is suppose to be the easiest zone for new players to spawn, i'd say that's quite abit of overkill on the basilisk spawns.  Seriously though, any low level player who spawns there, is going to get stopped even by a lvl 10 basilisk, let alone a 145, if I was just starting out and spawned on the map to find myself in the middle of all that, i'd be like "nope aint coming back here again... time for a different map'. 

Creature spawns should be based on the zone difficulty level and not just a random assortment of almost everything.   

I killed 7 of the 8 basilisk, left the one because some other player is coming back to tame it, but  to find that, man, I feel sorry for new people...

On 5/3/2019 at 7:12 AM, caleb68 said:

So I logged into Aberration today, and headed to the starter area (Portal - Easiest Zone) to go get some sheep, and what do I find there?  8 Basilisk.  1 lvl 145, 1 lvl 80, 2 lvl 70, 1 lvl  40, 2 lvl 20, 1 lvl 10. 

Now for this to be a starter area, that is suppose to be the easiest zone for new players to spawn, i'd say that's quite abit of overkill on the basilisk spawns.  Seriously though, any low level player who spawns there, is going to get stopped even by a lvl 10 basilisk, let alone a 145, if I was just starting out and spawned on the map to find myself in the middle of all that, i'd be like "nope aint coming back here again... time for a different map'. 

Creature spawns should be based on the zone difficulty level and not just a random assortment of almost everything.   

I killed 7 of the 8 basilisk, left the one because some other player is coming back to tame it, but  to find that, man, I feel sorry for new people...

Run, Caleb.  The portal is a lie.  You hear that chittering sound, and then a schoolbus-sized snake erupts from the ground and melts you with poison?  Yeah.  Easy, my butt.

14 hours ago, Axirpy said:

The portal is definetely not the easiest area for new survivors. I don't know why it is marked as Easiest. Basilisk of course, and there is no water at portal.

there are tons of mushrooms around so you can get aquatic mushrooms easy enough to take care of the water problem.

5 hours ago, TheDonn said:

Run, Caleb.  The portal is a lie.  You hear that chittering sound, and then a schoolbus-sized snake erupts from the ground and melts you with poison?  Yeah.  Easy, my butt.

lol yeah that's what I ended up doing, the worst was when I had managed to get several rollrats tamed, 2 low, 2 high, and then a high level basilisk spawned right next to me while I was collecting stone there with it, all the roll rats died and I must of died 20 times trying to get the basilisk away so I could retrieve my stuff.  luckly my teammate had a ravager and was able to lead it away but not before the land scape was littered with my bodies.

they actually spawn in both areas, I've been running around in that area collecting meat and had them spawn right in front of me.  there are about 4 spots above that they spawn and about 5 below that I know of.   It does seem to be one of the favorite areas for basilisk to pop in,  I've ran in to less of them in the harder blue zones and red zones then the portal area, even less in the outlining green area.

Basilisks are really not that scary. They're obvious, and then they have a huge sequence of events they run through that takes a long time before they finally start attacking, which is plenty of time to run away. Basilisks are also the *only* big threat in the portal- Other than them, it's raptors and neutral herbivores, the latter only a threat if you pick a fight. The moment you step out of the portal, you start having to deal with ravagers, which have killed my early game self more times than anything else in aberration, basilisks included.

The water is an issue, yes, but an intentional one. You're intended to start off in the portal, but not to stay there- To get your bearings, to get an idea of how things work, and then to be gently nudged out in search of water when berries and aquatic shrooms just aren't cutting it anymore.

that's kinda the point - the amount of basilisk that actually spawn at the portal.  far as them having a big sequence of events - not true.   I came around a corner there, saw the basilisk 2 ramps distance from me and I fled in the opposite direction - the basilisk came after me and chased me relentlessly, even with me jumping off the cliff into the water below and running toward the blue zone. 

Easy to spot? not always, you can be right on top of one and not even know it because its sitting hidden in the brush off to the side, and by time you know its there, its already too late for a new player to run away from it, one bite, one poison shot, insta-killed.   

Being that the portal is marked as the 'easiest' area, and it obviously isn't being fill with not only basilisk but raptors, ravagers and scorpions as well,  I've stayed alive longer starting in one of the 'medium' threat areas then in the easiest zone. 

Archived