Ark lost its shine

SmokeyB

I played ark from early access day one,  it was amazing building up on the island and trying not to get raided , staying small then moving to centre and joining up with people,  getting to know the tribes on the server , building up fighting etc the game was super fun and you knew your enemy , you knew the people you were fighting and had a chance to hit them back , small tribes were like a prize to look after , protect from trolls it was nice to give kibble and stuff to bobs on the beach have a friendly server and run it like a community with rules and laws ,you could have your own breeding lines and tame for new stats . Being alpha meant something .

Then scorched came and transfers along with it . People started moving around servers,  they didn't need to talk or get to know people any more they could just do what they liked and move on after . If someone wiped you instead to going hidd3n and trying to build up quiet now the best idea was move servers build up and come back with an army of tames . With no way to know where they are coming from or when people started to lose year old bases , to trolls and beach bobs , that's never fun , so the best tactic for anyone that wants to build and have a nice base is get more people get more allies . This leads to whole servers allied with each other not letting anyone build or join the server in fear of cross server raiders. This lead to small tribes having no where to build,  alliance up on an unraidable server or get wiped over and over . No time for politics or communicating . 

Then this leads to the only way to wipe these douches in server alliances to make bigger and bigger alliances . The mega tribes start to arrive . These mega can flood a server and foundation wipe it brick by brick , that leads to no alpha being safe . Alliance with a mega or get wiped. Bored mega tribe members that are sick of not being able to do anything in their huge tribe server transfer and raid servers with LVL 400 dinos . All small tribes get wiped and all that's left is huge mega bases with foundation spam covering half the map in front of their bases . Then small tribe server come out and all the small tribes leave and go to a different cluster. Now when a mega tribe members goes trolling he doesn't find anyone to troll. Alpha mega bases you can't touch in a cave or ruined stone huts. No fun no small scale PvP left in the game.

So ok that's fine there's all these mega battles going on let's get a look at that . Oh wait the server is 94/70 you can't even get on , 2 hours of spamming join later you get in join up with your tribe get to the front line and dc , oh snap , 2 more hours getting on and oh look the enemy's got a tek forcefield 2 hours of standing outside that , then a few hours of tanking bullets and clearing spam then you get in the base and they have uploaded everything in a transmitter. The other day I literally went to bed during a raid , came back on like 9 hours later and they was still in the same spot clearing spam as they was when I went to sleep . That's not fun or engaging game play . No loot no good dino battles just tank ,clear spam , place your own spam and turrets and inch along like that .  Boring .

Small scale PvP is where it's at in this game but it's now ruined. Small tribe servers and tek ruined ark PvP .  You took all the soft raid targets and made a whole tier off stuff that are not available to a solo player , even another 50 levels that a solo player will never get . This just lead to the mega tribe problem and the loss of fun in ark . 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Unlikely any of this will get fixed now that Atlas is in the works.

Yeah I know , it's a bit sad that my favourite game ended up like this , I guess I will be jumping on atlas day one and hoping it's different. But if the tribe size and alliance thing is the same then it will end up the same. Imagine building a little ship and a house and then a whole fleet of 14yr olds sails by and kills you and all your stuff.. same result join the big force or constantly have nothing . Also I think atlas may have similar problems to Conan.  Too much low tech and no fliers makes the game a slog. No turrets makes bases undefended. No tames means nothing to do in pve.

29 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Unlikely any of this will get fixed now that Atlas is in the works.

5 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

No tames means nothing to do in pve.

From what I understand there are creatures to tame and npc crew to hire/recruit.

About Ark, I have been saying for a while that the future is in the hands of the unofficial and modded communities. Ark, at least the steam PC version, could get new mods and new gameplay for a long time. Thanks to mod authors. Now they could jump ship to Atlas, but the devKits are so similar that I am guessing some will develop for both. Also with all the Ark modding tutorials new mod authors Will rise up.

True.... ARK has lost it's fun... Turret limit and gigas being able to be raged by shotguns was the official DEATH of ark. and the way ark is going i don't see this Once AMAZING! game lasting till the end of 2019..... if it was to be "ROLLED back" like ARK mobile has... then it would be THE BEST GAME and i see ALOT of people returning and even new people rolling the saves back, and polishment of the game could fix this game . with more people who Care about. it, it is Retarded how a Shotgun can Rage a giga... and how pvp was changed by this,, it is not fun for the players anymore at this point its just a drown out from the other boring content being released, LISTEN TO THE PLAYERS about the game let US help the game. for YEARS we were ignored now your listening but... not to the ones you were supposed to.,. Returning back to ARK . it needs something FUN in it, bringing the old ark back would be the best thing for it the way this is going isn't a good direction and we are sad to see the game die out... @Jatheish @Jen @Chris please.. Lets Return the game back to it's OLD state. with polishment to the game, when Ark had it's First BIG KICK Of enjoyment and the game wasn't boring to play i have been playing since DAY 1 legacy . and it is safe to say. ark just isn't fun anymore and has lost LOADS of people due to this, but IF just MAYBE you listen to a player that has been with ARK for 3-4 Years. we could make this game amazing to play again. 

6 hours ago, mitchellkrever said:

At least we have atlas to look foward too. I'm pretty keen on the whole every1 on one map idea but im worried mega tribes are gonna ruin it.

Wish Ark had a thing each month where they took down 20 of the least popular servers and added 20 FRESH servers.

I think introducing a system like this for official servers could breathe life into the game. People are always begging for fresh servers.

The beginner servers should probably be upgraded to normal servers. And new beginner servers started.

At some point in the future all official servers will close. It's just a fact, nothing last forever.

I can see official servers being culled in a similar manner to legacy. Lowest population first. If these reserves simply get removed to lower cost or recycled into fresh or new server types, who knows.

6 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

I think introducing a system like this for official servers could breathe life into the game. People are always begging for fresh servers.

The beginner servers should probably be upgraded to normal servers. And new beginner servers started.

At some point in the future all official servers will close. It's just a fact, nothing last forever.

I can see official servers being culled in a similar manner to legacy. Lowest population first. If these reserves simply get removed to lower cost or recycled into fresh or new server types, who knows.

Even new servers won't help with transfers enabled . No one will be able to build up anyway . Pre fab bases and transfers of tames makes it pointless.

Atlas sounds amazing you can have kids and pass your stats on to them and hire npcs . Also you can hang people .

Only concern is how do you defend your base when not online ? Plants are stupid and unrealistic , no tech for turrets and npcs are completely useless against players that can respawn . I just hope it's not like bring a cannon at 6am and raid anyone  with ease. I also hope there are no silly mechanics that are vital for game play  that require 10 people to do like tech .  

1 minute ago, SmokeyB said:

Only concern is how do you defend your base when not online ? Plants are stupid and unrealistic , no tech for turrets and npcs are completely useless against players that can respawn . I just hope it's not like bring a cannon at 6am and raid anyone  with ease. I also hope there are no silly mechanics that are vital for game play  that require 10 people to do like tech .  

Yeah. I don't really play PvP, just don't have time for it. But Atlas is more questions than answers right now.

I just hope that really improved the many issues that only exist on official servers (both PvP and PvE). 

30 hours to sail across the map will really slow raiders down.

10 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

Even new servers won't help with transfers enabled . No one will be able to build up anyway . Pre fab bases and transfers of tames makes it pointless.

Fresh servers have transfers disabled for the duration of the Fresh status. You also have to make a new char. After the fresh duration is over transfers are enabled. For the month i played on the server it was some of the most enjoyable gameplay ive had in Ark for a long time.

I dont know why they stopped becuase WC was planning on releasing fresh servers each month. I think it had to do with SmallTribes which came out shortly after. Which provided a fresh gameplay experience but with boosted servers.

4 hours ago, ArkRage said:

What? I couldn't give a rats backside about that game. The devs are stupid if they think people are gonna buy it after Ark's problems lol.

I agree. There is hype. But I just don't see it being the next Ark.

with everyone's this is a pirate game, I have permission to grief cause pirate game. The community already seems more toxic than Ark.

4 hours ago, ArkRage said:

What? I couldn't give a rats backside about that game. The devs are stupid if they think people are gonna buy it after Ark's problems lol.

It looks amazing like ark was just the prototype for this game . It's gonna have all the good ness of ark but without all the silly tek and turret draining etc. Plus no dino army means you will recover faster after a wipe and the gap won't be so big between tribes  . Plus npcs and tames and way more politics. Less lag and no flyers with more boats and underwater stuff.  Atlas sounds like the ark everyone wanted before the devs killed it with tek tier and item transfer 

45 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

It looks amazing like ark was just the prototype for this game . It's gonna have all the good ness of ark but without all the silly tek and turret draining etc. Plus no dino army means you will recover faster after a wipe and the gap won't be so big between tribes  . Plus npcs and tames and way more politics. Less lag and no flyers with more boats and underwater stuff.  Atlas sounds like the ark everyone wanted before the devs killed it with tek tier and item transfer 

Sounds why more grindy. 

1 hour ago, SmokeyB said:

Have you ever summoned and killed a dragon boss in The Island? He won't attack and once he is killed, his corpse will glitch horribly.

Well keep that image in your mind. A glitchy corpse elevating to infinity and beyond. That's  the essence of Studio Wildcard, Ark, Atlas and every other game that they try to sell you for 60 dollars.

You are paying 60 dollars for a glitchy corpse. That's what your hype will get you.

I can't stop laughing with all these people getting hyped. It's like a cat and a dot. So easy to catch them

Its an interesting one as I paid possibly 9.99 for ARK and maybe 15.00 for the season pass (extra DLCs) so for £25.00 or thereabouts I have played a game for over 4 years (1500+hrs). Its playable, and even if they didn't progress with any further updates I'd say I could continue on to complete what I wanted to in the game. I've got my moneys worth, and I'll continue playing.

One day (hopefully not soon) there will be a huge Tek base with OP dinos of varying colours either left to decay or will pass on to one lucky owner. All games finally come to an end in my library sooner or later.

@SmokeyB  I don't disagree, but I'll say this.  Join an unofficial server/cluster.  If you're against boosting in any way, find an unofficial cluster that has official rates.  You'll return to the gameplay you want because of the more controlled player base.  I personally play on a cluster that has the grind mostly removed, but the difficulty increase quite a bit.  I stayed on official for a long time because of friends on there, but when my tribemate got fed up with the server performance, we both left for a RL friend's cluster and are enjoying it thoroughly.  Albeit, it's a PvE cluster because I don't care PvP in the slightest.  Just saying that Official servers are quite cancerous in several ways.  Neither the playerbase nor the server performance are hospitable.

13 minutes ago, Glenn said:

will all of you who buy Atlas are mad you going get rippoff like on ark 

Like the dude said above I paid about 35 pound for 3 years of gameplay that I played way too much . I got my money's worth . If atlas is as buggy as ark but still as fun as ark was before release I will get my money's worth again . 

Only hope is that they have learned from their mistakes since ark launched and not catering to mega tribes where only the leader has fun and locking a whole tier of stuff behind group content . The game needs to be fun for solo players and people who don't want to play with randoms . 

20 minutes ago, Glenn said:

will all of you who buy Atlas are mad you going get rippoff like on ark 

How is ARK a ripoff? I paid £25 for over 1500+hrs - thats more than a lot of games I have played. And Im still going strong on ARK. 

They will probably use a different Dev team for Atlas and I believe its another studio. 

2 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

Like the dude said above I paid about 35 pound for 3 years of gameplay that I played way too much . I got my money's worth . If atlas is as buggy as ark but still as fun as ark was before release I will get my money's worth again . 

Only hope is that they have learned from their mistakes since ark launched and not catering to mega tribes where only the leader has fun and locking a whole tier of stuff behind group content . The game needs to be fun for solo players and people who don't want to play with randoms . 

This is my point.  I can't rightfully support devs that either don't learn or don't care about their playerbase.  ARK, while fun, was plagued by Wild Card's apathy and ignorance.  It's a game with a great concept, a great story, and a horrible execution.  Atlas is looking to follow closely in ARK's footsteps, also.  Again... they have already missed 2 announced launch dates.  I have a major problem supporting this behavior in a company.

24 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

I'm not buying Atlas unless I see a complete turnaround by the devs.  Seeing as how they have missed multiple release dates already, it's not looking good.

This is my thoughts exactly.

I am in no rush, and would probably wait for a 50% off sale.

If official Atlas servers are as abysmal as official servers it will not survive as an MMO.

Archived