Spammers

Toni

Some tips to stop this actually spamming:

1. Ban complete IP-range of this users   -->  X.X.*.*

2. Add a captcha for creating posts (Do not use the google captcha)

Im a forum admin myself and had such problems myself in the past. It won't stop till you done one of the 2 above steps. The longer you wait, the more threads will be created !

• Volunteer Moderator

We appreciate that it is becoming a pain for the users and we are trying to keep on top of it as quickly as we can. Hopefully we'll be able to find something to cut this spam down a lot more, but I can say that today and yesterday has had the biggest increase even though nothing has changed in terms of the captcha or anything, so not sure why the increase.

However, looking at your suggestions, we can't do a complete IP-range ban because there is a good chance that could block a lot of people from a lot of countries.

16 minutes ago, GamerPerfection said:

We appreciate that it is becoming a pain for the users and we are trying to keep on top of it as quickly as we can. Hopefully we'll be able to find something to cut this spam down a lot more, but I can say that today and yesterday has had the biggest increase even though nothing has changed in terms of the captcha or anything, so not sure why the increase.

However, looking at your suggestions, we can't do a complete IP-range ban because there is a good chance that could block a lot of people from a lot of countries.

Most captchas are no problem for such script kiddies. So if you want stop it as fast as possible, do the following:

1. Shut down the forum to get some time

2. Replace your captcha at registration with an other one. (Other type of captcha) Im using the reCAPTCHA and had never problems with it.

3. Add an other captcha to the thread-creation and thread-reply function.

I don't know if they really hacked the captcha at the registration or doing this step manually. If they do the registration manually and then doing the thread creation scripted, then it will help to add a captcha too at thread-creation and thread-reply. 

They won't do all the steps manually. Its only funny for them if they can script some parts of the attack.

17 minutes ago, Grimlock98 said:

sounds like you might have to add a few more mods to help clean up this LOL.  they are on a rampage right now in fact

$20 says its someone who is mad that there isnt a new update released or lost his best dino

A bunch of people were banned for cheating is why that happened.

Archived