Crossbow or Bow for taming?

Jemcrystal

I am reading all kinds of conflicting info.  Not as worried about damage and low taming modifiers as I am getting the beast down before it eats me.  Does a stronger fire power mean a stronger tanq effect?  Note I don't really want another person to say, "hit them in the eye."  Let's assume I don't want to stand close enough to see eyeballs.  Let's assume I don't want to stay in the area long enough to gather to build a safe tower.

If I am understanding the question properly Yes. For example a ascendant longneck rifle with tranq darts will down a creature much quicker (i.e. with less darts) than a primitive longneck rifle with darts. In terms of crossbows and bows, I always use crossbows for taming unless I am dealing with creatures with low health such as jerboas and what not.

Dododex is great for this as you can imput what weapons and ammo you are using and ut tells you how many darts/arrows it should take to down a creature.

Quote from the wiki regarding tranq arrows for example, unsure of the wikis accuracy or if its up to date mind you:

"Upon hit, they instantly increase the target's torpor by an amount equal to 200% of the weapon damage and give an additional amount of torpor equal to 250% of the weapon damage over the course of the next 4 seconds"

The more it hurts the more it tranqs with a coefficient depending on the weapon and ammo. 

Best ratio is the electric prod, but it's way too expensive for what it does. 

Next would be shocking tranq dart with long neck. Mostly for PvP as you don't really need that much on wildlife. 

Then tranq dart with longneck. Mostly for low hp with high torpor tames like dimetrodon, bear, gallimimus, quetz...

Crossbow is the default taming tool. Works for most but have to be careful with low hp with high torpor dinos. (sometimes almost impossible) 

Bow is mostly for beginners that don't have access to crossbow. 

Slingshot/wooden club mostly on low torpor high hp targets like trikes... It's for when you don't even have a bow or ran out of ammo. 

Tamed dinos (Boa/pachy/horse/scorpion/toad...) are not that good at their job, mostly for low torpor targets... Scorpions used to be goid but the nerf bat hit them hard. 

Compound bow is for role play, they are worst than normal bow for tranq. 

• 3 months later...

Why are compound bows the worst? I am trying to find a giga to tame and I spent a lot of time getting an ascendant compound bow thinking it would be the best option... I figured that the more damage the item did the more topor damage it did. And my bow does hundreds of damage more to my best crossbow.

Peace,

-Cap

19 minutes ago, CaptainSaltyYT said:

Why are compound bows the worst? I am trying to find a giga to tame and I spent a lot of time getting an ascendant compound bow thinking it would be the best option... I figured that the more damage the item did the more topor damage it did. And my bow does hundreds of damage more to my best crossbow.

Peace,

-Cap

Each weapon have a damage to torpor ratio... Your sword do more damage than your club, why can the club knock things out and not the sword? 

Also, it does less damage than even normal bow with stone and tranq arrow. Only time it does more is with metal arrow, which does no torpor. 

If you want to tranq a Giga, go with a longneck with darts or shocking darts. 

3 minutes ago, CaptainSaltyYT said:

Cheers for the answer, longnecks are infamously prone to breaking and I dont have shocking darts yet :( I'll just follow the herd and use a crossbow. On that note, what caves give crossbow bps?

Peace,

-Cap

Usually you bring two just in case, but a Giga should not break a newly crafted decent longneck.Unless you miss one shot out of two or take too much time between shots. 

1 hour ago, CaptainSaltyYT said:

Peace,

-Cap

I think for a giga you would be ok; but the problem is that for most animals they do too much damage and kill them. Use the dododex calculator to see chance of death

Jemcrystal,

You want to use:
1. A crossbow where the creature has high HP
2. A longneck rifle where the creature has low HP and there is risk of killing it.

Damage modifiers:
- For ranged weapons, the damage modifier of the weapon is applied to the tranq, so the more damage the weapon does the faster you will knock it out.
- For non-ranged weapons, the characters damage modifier applies (melee), for example:  Wooden Club.

Hope that answers your question.

Archived