Mantis vs Ankylo for solo metal farming?

epicfailure

Ankylo metal farming feels really inefficient for me, IDK if its because of how slow it walks. Does the mantis "feel" a lot better to farm with? 

edit: ok thanks, you guys convinced me to want to get a mantis now. If I knew about this earlier, I would've went ahead and tamed one right after I lost one of my trash dinos. Well, I will wish demise upon my fellow server mates, in hopes that their dinos die from whatever reason, so I might be able to sneak a quick mantis tame in the next time I play.  Cheers fellas, safe surviving.

6 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

They are faster, smoother and they can turn in circles without going forward, but I doubt they get as much metal as ankies and I dont believe they have the buff. (I am speaking of official servers)

ohh, ok thank you. I was falling asleep farming with ankylo... I want to try mantis, but my server is tame capped atm :/ Will def try it out, that was all I was looking for, more fluid movement and less clunkyness.

6 minutes ago, epicfailure said:

ohh, ok thank you. I was falling asleep farming with ankylo... I want to try mantis, but my server is tame capped atm :/ Will def try it out, that was all I was looking for, more fluid movement and less clunkyness.

yea they are rather smooth except if you are going over a lot of rocks, since they have more legs I guess lol

ankley have weight reduction on metal.. and can have a lot of weight leveled into it. also. Solo farming a ravager have a lot of weight and also have weight reduction on metal. 

I have an ankley with just over 700 melee and farms more metal from a single node than my best ascendant pick, that constantly needs repairing.

but then I only use that Ankley with a quetz.. but still.. nothing beats an ankley in metal farming. Aberration is metal heaven. 

I would always prefer the mobility of the mantis. If you right-click for farming, then you will also get plenty of metal (take care not to jump over the node). It might be that ankys carry more and get more from one swing, but still overall mantis will be faster for me because of superior movement speend and turning. The carrying can be balanced by bringing something like a quetz (which you should do anyway).

If we talk abour solo farming in the endgame, nothing beats platform quetz+anky combo for me. Quetz weight and flying coupled with anky weight reduction. Even better now with controllable direction of dismounting. With a nice platform it's Move - jump - harvest - jump - repeat. Zero footwork required.

Got stupid and dropped an anky? Whip it back or put it on a rock, fly the farming platform below it, harvest rock and continue farming.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived