Turret change discussion megathread

Rancor

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ciabattaroll said:

If Plant X wasn't included in that list then people would just shift to that instead of the automated turrets and you'd be back to square one. Excluding a turret type isn't fixing the problem, just shifting where the problem lies.

Well sorry to say bud, that may be true but this turret limit method will surely not work. Tell me this what is the point of PVP if you can't build a well defended base?

If I was working on this game, I'd start by removing all particle effects and such from species x. Remove the flashing light from the turrets, removes an entire texture map if it was done with a texture. Try changing LOD's to a little lower on certain things, such as crop plots etc. or even just switch some models to low poly models (Still look amazing with good textures) Play with render distances more. These are just a few ideas.

I just can't see how an entire development team can't come up with a better idea than limiting the turrets.

3 minutes ago, MrDropbear said:

Well sorry to say bud, that may be true but this turret limit method will surely not work. Tell me this what is the point of PVP if you can't build a well defended base?

If I was working on this game, I'd start by removing all particle effects and such from species x. Remove the flashing light from the turrets, removes an entire texture map if it was done with a texture. Try changing LOD's to a little lower on certain things, such as crop plots etc. or even just switch some models to low poly models (Still look amazing with good textures) Play with render distances more. These are just a few ideas.

I just can't see how an entire development team can't come up with a better idea than limiting the turrets.

Have you not seen this development teams track record? Its entirely in line with their other dumb decisions and complete and utter failure to meet ANY deadlines.

2 hours ago, stephent0001 said:

Griefers are people that cause grief on other servers... they go to cause mayhem and grief... also this will take any dynamics in pvp. Raiders wait till a tribe is offline run 1 stego at a wall and instantly blow in because you will realistically have 15-20 turrets on one side of your base...

You are getting confused with PVP players. PVP players engage other players be it on their home server or other servers for the sake of PVP. Players that dislike PVP but play on PVP servers somehow have come up with this catch all word to describe their loathing.

Raiding someone can sometimes be fun, but being raided is a 100% negative experience that induces people to quit the game. As long as the consequences of being raided are so severe, people will view any change that makes it easier to raid their bases as a negative change.

The turret change would be fine if raiding didn't cause this: but it does. If I could wake up after a raid and spend an hour fixing things back to how they were, that would be one thing, but waking up to realize you've effectively lost the game overnight is a very unpleasant mechanic.

Spamming turrets is indicative of one thing:

People don't want to be raided: ever.

If it were a surmountable, fun and challenging mechanic, they wouldn't spend so many resources on making sure it didn't happen.

If it were something that players engaged in with each other actively head-to-head, and didn't take weeks/months of recovery to rebuild, having raiding as the endgame would be a workable idea. But it's not a fun contest, people often aren't even online, and the consequences of a loss ruin all other aspects of the game.

"Gee getting raided last night was fun"
      -No ARK player ever

Successfully fending off a raid might be enjoyable, but the moment you lose, its game over. And while the gameplay duration might feel like "just one match", you lose everything: weeks/months of work. The consequences of raiding remain far too severe for the majority of the population to engage with and enjoy, and any change that makes raiding easier will be met with howls of dismay.

ARK DEVS:

Most players don't like raiding as it stands. Some do enjoy the act of raiding other tribes, but the actual overall system design (the experience on both sides of the coin) is generally regarded as terrible.

• Players might engage with and enjoy raiding if the consequences for being raided weren't so severe.
  • Players might engage with and enjoy raiding if it was more of a contest and less of a "loser uninstalls" dynamic.
  • Turret spam is the "meta" approach to avoiding the negative mechanic as much as possible.
  • Nerfing the ability to defend against raiding will drive more players into PvE or to quit.

If you can make the act of being raided and recovering from a raid fun, challenging and engaging, I'll happily sign up for these changes.

But it is currently nothing remotely resembling that. Please make raiding more enjoyable as a mechanic for both sides - particularly the person being raided, before you make it more accessible.

If the current scope of the game doesn't allow that, then please give us more options to ensure raiding happens as little as possible.

1 minute ago, Zederia said:

oh look, a megathread that will be quietly swept under the rug..

Yes just like the dino nerf, flyer nerf and other great changes a vocal minority on here complained about.

A week post release everyone will be happy little Troodons going about slaughtering each and other generally engaging in the PVP that they might been missing out on for the last year or more.

14 minutes ago, Obbu said:

Raiding someone can sometimes be fun, but being raided is a 100% negative experience that induces people to quit the game. As long as the consequences of being raided are so severe, people will view any change that makes it easier to raid their bases as a negative change.

The turret change would be fine if raiding didn't cause this: but it does. If I could wake up after a raid and spend an hour fixing things back to how they were, that would be one thing, but waking up to realize you've effectively lost the game overnight is a very unpleasant mechanic.

Spamming turrets is indicative of one thing:

People don't want to be raided: ever.

If it were a surmountable, fun and challenging mechanic, they wouldn't spend so many resources on making sure it didn't happen.

If it were something that players engaged in with each other actively head-to-head, and didn't take weeks/months of recovery to rebuild, having raiding as the endgame would be a workable idea. But it's not a fun contest, people often aren't even online, and the consequences of a loss ruin all other aspects of the game.

"Gee getting raided last night was fun"
      -No ARK player ever

Successfully fending off a raid might be enjoyable, but the moment you lose, its game over. And while the gameplay duration might feel like "just one match", you lose everything: weeks/months of work. The consequences of raiding remain far too severe for the majority of the population to engage with and enjoy, and any change that makes raiding easier will be met with howls of dismay.

ARK DEVS:

Most players don't like raiding as it stands. Some do enjoy the act of raiding other tribes, but the actual overall system design (the experience on both sides of the coin) is generally regarded as terrible.

• Players might engage with and enjoy raiding if the consequences for being raided weren't so severe.
  • Players might engage with and enjoy raiding if it was more of a contest and less of a "loser uninstalls" dynamic.
  • Turret spam is the "meta" approach to avoiding the negative mechanic as much as possible.
  • Nerfing the ability to defend against raiding will drive more players into PvE or to quit.

If you can make the act of being raided and recovering from a raid fun, challenging and engaging, I'll happily sign up for these changes.

But it is currently nothing remotely resembling that. Please make raiding more enjoyable as a mechanic for both sides - particularly the person being raided, before you make it more accessible.

If the current scope of the game doesn't allow that, then please give us more options to ensure raiding happens as little as possible.

You seem to be suggesting that you shouldn't be able to be raided on PVP servers which is laughable. This game was designed as an open world PVP game. There is no limits or rules, players are free to slaughter each other on a regular basis to achieve dominance which is the whole point of the game. 

Unfortunately this game like any game attracts weak minded players that can't stand losing. The minute they get raided they jump on the forum and complain and then they pack up to some unofficial server with 10x rates and thousands of rules on what you can and can't do PVP wise. I've seen it so many times before, you raid their cute roleplayer  unbeatable "castle", kill their stuff and the first thing they do is cry in global "why you killing us" and then you never see them again on the server. 

Being raiding can be fun it all depends how you approach the game. I've been raided by a large Chinese tribe once at 5am in the morning. There was 3 of us on and they numbered nearly 20. We held them at back for several hours while we proceeded to enacted a scorched earth policy on our own base. By the time they finally broke through to the vaults everything of value had been despawned. We lost around 50 dinos and all of our base but I actually enjoyed it. It was a fun experience, probably one of the most I have had in this game so far.

2 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

You seem to be suggesting that you shouldn't be able to be raided on PVP servers which is laughable. This game was designed as an open world PVP game. There is no limits or rules, players are free to slaughter each other on a regular basis to achieve dominance which is the whole point of the game.

Not at all, I'm suggesting that if raiding is accessible it should be an enjoyable mechanic for both parties. It currently is not. If I enjoyed the prospect/process of being raided more, I'd be less inclined to avoid it (both from a defensive and offensive role). Right now the consequences are too dire for me to enjoy on either side of the bargain.

You obviously enjoy that aspect, and I don't judge you for it - but its one of many ways to enjoy and design pvp, not the only true one.

5 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Being raiding can be fun it all depends how you approach the game. I've been raided by a large Chinese tribe once at 5am in the morning. There was 3 of us on and they numbered nearly 20. We held them at back for several hours while we proceeded to enacted a scorched earth policy on our own base. By the time they finally broke through to the vaults everything of value had been despawned. We lost around 50 dinos and all of our base but I actually enjoyed it. It was a fun experience, probably one of the most I have had in this game so far.

I wouldn't equate you with having lost that raid, you gave as good as you got, and were online so you got to participate. I'd argue that while the experience sounds fun, the cleanup of hundreds of hours of taming and rebuilding doesn't sound that amazing, to me - but at least you got to engage with the experience, and that's specifically something I'd want out of raiding.

However, talking about specifically losing raids:

This is an overly negative experience, far beyond the scope of what losing a fight, losing a match, losing a game or losing a tournament in any other game would entail.

If you'd lost all that overnight when no one was online (assuming this occurs in your tribe occasionally at least), lost 50 dinos without doing any damage back to them, would you still consider the experience a positive one?

14 hours ago, ilidrael said:

I think they should just do another donation event, but this time it goes to buying better servers or upgrading them, this way they wouldnt need to screw the game to save some dollars/have 2 ping less

no what id like to see is a sub system, a few bucks a month for way better servers., no one offs so someone else can fund a better experiance for others.

1 minute ago, Carcajou said:

why did they do it does someone know ?

They've said it's to do with server stability and performance, which makes sense. Too much of anything in one area is bound to hit performance eventually, and encouraging it on a game-wide basis will take its toll.

The problem is that there's flow-on balance concerns that people are unhappy with, specifically that it makes it harder to defend bases past a certain size.

As far as I can tell, it will affect smaller tribes less, as they're unlikely to go over the cap unless their base reaches a certain size.

It would be honest and fair to the people that dedicate a lot of time since the early stages of the game if you just inform us that you all are tired of developing the game and have run out of ideas to make it better and instead are trying to force people to quit it as fast they can with such a retarded idea as this... *clap* *clap* *clap*

I do find it funny that a lot of salty people think they can raid the mega tribes with the upcoming turret changes. It takes more than a level 50 bronto tamed on a 2x to raid lol.

Most of the people I know that are playing in big tribes are quitting Ark though. No one likes this change except salty noobs. Server lag will not decrease with less turrets. 

During the first few weeks of the new servers we got raided and probably only had 100-200 turrets. Server ping was 255 constantly. Turrets aren't the cause of lag. 

I've been playing since October 2015, have probably put in 1000 hours since PC retail launch.   I play with all my friends, and I love playing even though I am on one of the laggiest servers in Ark (Yes I was on when a WC person ( handle Jatheish ) came onto the server to do profiling and test turning off all the turrets while we loaded up the server).

Please believe me when I say I would instead continue playing on a laggy server than deal with the ramifications of this turret limit.    I'll never be able to sleep anymore because all I'll be doing is worrying about someone easily breaking into our bases and meat running everything we own because they will be able to on a well armoured HP dino quickly run through 100 turrets and suicide C4 in their way.

This change will ruin all our work.   That was fine when you did this during early access because this was a game in development.   But you don't just haphazardly change the entire meta of the game in release with a couple of weeks notice and no community discussion.

If this goes through; the first time we are base wiped because of what I said above - you can guarantee I'll be leaving a review of my "experience" in Ark in steam.   And I own a few of copies of Ark.   I'll talk about this everywhere I go.  I"m a respected member of a large community of gamers (The Older Gamers).    I'll be sure to let them know how well WC handles their release community management.  I also help and DJ on an online radio station (thebase.sc) - I'll be broadcasting my experience with Ark and Wildcard there as well.

There are better ways of doing this - there are better ways that also play nice with your players!    Don't do this - talk to some of us.    Let us discuss how we can improve the game and community management, so you have happier players.   Let's talk solutions - hell I'm sure we're willing to test this stuff on say a TEST server or two.    Let us help!

WE WANT TO WORK WITH YOU GUYS - don't just hamfistedly go ahead with this change despite all the community backlash; you'll only hurt yourselves and players of this great game as well.

It took me a good while to sift through all 15 pages (as of now) to catch up before I can respond. 

This dev team has to be the biggest joke of a dev team. Everytime you think Wildcard is taking a step forward they take several back. I imaging that every time they're having a meeting in regards to something of this sort, one of the numskulls offer up the idea and they don't even think it over they just run with it. 

Anyone claiming this would increase Pvp is just someone who got wiped before and will use this as an opportunity to get revenge whilst their enemy is offline. That's not Pvp

Legit just throwing away thousands of hours that tribes spent developing their bases to the point that they're at. I expect nothing less from WC proving time and time again that they don't really know what they're doing.

My tribe most likely wont quit, just gonna have to fill servers with more towers spread out and keep oppressing the fresh tribes even more. Good luck to anyone not built up you'll need it.

Final point is more of a question, is there a petition we can sign for real Devs? like just clean sweep the devs that are in WC, and hire fresh talent. 

Why would you do this. People have to completely take down their bases because if this. it will take weeks to get even a little defended with the amount of pace you need to even get 500 turrents. PUBG is coming out soon when you release the update on xbox you will lose almost all of your support on console and a crap ton of people on PC. I watched atleast 5 major streamers for ark today and they are all going to quit because of this. you are literally killing you game. maybe you should stop putting new things in to the game and figure out what else is causing the lag because you are going to kill your game with one dumb update. STOP PUTTING DUMB STUFF IN THE GAME AND LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE THAT PUT 3000+ HOURS INTO THE GAME NOT TO THE BOBS THAT SUCK AT THE GAME AND WANT TO HURT THE TRIBES THAT PUT ALOT OF THIME INTO THE GAME. You do this update you will lose your population on all platforms!!!!!!!!

kkkk Ah the tears, amazing man, if the devs actually maintain this nerf I'll continue to play ARK for a couple more years, hell I'll even buy the new DLC, good job Wildcard this was sorely needed (Oh I'm sure they will tweek it, they are known for doing extreme changes and tuning them acording to feedback), f**k the little brats that wanted to be all safe behind their walls of turrets and turret towers, let's go out in the world and PVP instead of playing farmville.

ps: By "feedback" I mean the statistics that they surely keep of the things happening in their game, not YOUR whinings in the forums...

Archived