PR Disaster

Zainwolf

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that annoys me the most is when serious things happen like the 2 hour roll back across all servers on Xbox many hundreds losing there characters etc because of this yet all WC can say is whoops..........

Same as many other issues such as no tames being wiped because they left everything tamable so they wiped whoops and that's it

Or when servers got "accidentally" wiped due to some "mix up" with the server hosts whoops AGAIN and nothing else ever done about stuff like this

So I've been playing ARK since the beginning of EA and I remember back in the day the community managers were on top of the patch notes and a lot of info was given regarding the status.

What happened?

I've noticed a steady decline in communications on patches. Not only on delays but entire builds that are releasing. This wasn't always  huge concern when I was a player, but as an admin for an unofficial server it's painful having to be clairvoyant and know when these things are launching or just praying for some info and an accurate launch time.

My question now is....when has the patch scheduled for the 8th been pushed to? I'd love to know so i can prepare my time to update my server when it's roughly scheduled to launch.

1 hour ago, LouSpowells said:

Category 5 hurricane blows through part of the dev team, many without power...and then there's you.

"Where's my patch! They don't even live in Florida!" 

https://twitter.com/Jatheish/status/907130104459005952/

Again, it's not just about THIS patch, it's about every other patch. I can understand and appreciate a natural disaster. I'm talking about the overall communication from that team. Also, it's not like their only way of communicating is out of that one development team's office in Florida. They've got an entire community management team that could have been like "hey guys, for you who do not know, we've got devs in a situation, we'll be pushing the patch back. " 

I would never give them any issues over that, but the main theme here is communication and it's gone downhill over the last 2 years, considerably. 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Azyurel said:

Again, it's not just about THIS patch, it's about every other patch. I can understand and appreciate a natural disaster. I'm talking about the overall communication from that team. Also, it's not like their only way of communicating is out of that one development team's office in Florida. They've got an entire community management team that could have been like "hey guys, for you who do not know, we've got devs in a situation, we'll be pushing the patch back. " 

I would never give them any issues over that, but the main theme here is communication and it's gone downhill over the last 2 years, considerably. 

People pointing out the hurricane are correcting you over this assumption that they're all headquartered in Washington, where the current hurricane would have no effect, calm down.

14 minutes ago, Azyurel said:

I'm perfectly calm. I'm just reiterating the fact that it's not just a gripe with this patch delay. I've come to expect them, I'm just concerned with the lack of communication we've had from the community managers recently compared to the transparency we saw early on. 

Are you concerned? Tell me about your concern. Share your pain 'As an Admin of an Unofficial Server'. I want to feel what you feel.

47 minutes ago, Azyurel said:

I'm perfectly calm. I'm just reiterating the fact that it's not just a gripe with this patch delay. I've come to expect them, I'm just concerned with the lack of communication we've had from the community managers recently compared to the transparency we saw early on. 

I understand precisely what you're reiterating, and I'm responding by saying this:

You want to make a point about their communication and I can understand that, but (and it feels strange having to point this out) maybe this isn't the best situation or time to point that out. Maybe now is a good time to wish them the best. Maybe we can forget about the delays for a bit and just hope the best for the developers affected. Sound fair?

1 hour ago, Azyurel said:

Yeah, I can see the fanbois are going to start flaming now, so I'm going to bow out before the white knights show up in force. 

Dude...seriously? I didn't even see this one before I made my last post. This isn't a fanboy thing...it's basic human decency. I mean, seriously...what were you doing 16 years ago today? Complaining that The Price is Right wasn't on?

8 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Category 5 hurricane blows through part of the dev team, many without power...and then there's you.

"Where's my patch! They don't even live in Florida!" 

https://twitter.com/Jatheish/status/907130104459005952/

Why are you trying to make this about the one time they might have a valid excuse when he's CLEARLY talking about it being a long standing issue? Also, before you start throwing around the words "human decency" you should not be flaming someone with your statements asking if they were complaining 16 years ago and making up quotes that they never said.

50 minutes ago, Z0mbie said:

Why are you trying to make this about the one time they might have a valid excuse when he's CLEARLY talking about it being a long standing issue? Also, before you start throwing around the words "human decency" you should not be flaming someone with your statements asking if they were complaining 16 years ago and making up quotes that they never said.

"the one time they might have a valid excuse."

I guess I just assumed we could all be on the same page for a couple of days, wish the devs in Florida the best, and give folks a break before continuing to twist the knife about delays. I figured the devs might just get a pass this time. I figured wrong.

1 hour ago, LouSpowells said:

I guess I just assumed we could all be on the same page for a couple of days, wish the devs in Florida the best, and give folks a break before continuing to twist the knife about delays. I figured the devs might just get a pass this time. I figured wrong.

Whatever, just keep trying to switch the focus of the conversation I guess....smh

On 9.9.2017 at 2:00 AM, ciabattaroll said:

The dilemma of this mindset though is that not putting forth any form of financial support isn't going to fix anything either. Such is the unfortunate state of our currency driven society : there is no problem that has been solved by not throwing money at it.

didn't the past prove that the majority of compnays only change bad behavior when the get sued the ... out of them? or they have to pay fines.?

the thing is: i never said don't buy it at all, or that i won't buy it at all. i only said i am gona wait till i see the dlc is working properly. when i learned one thing in around 20 years of online gaming: the only way things change is, if they sell less copys ( even just for a little time) then the investors force them to make changes. if they don't, companys go bankrupt and other companys buy them. especially with a franchise with such awesome potential. ( worst case) doesn't even mean things get better, but things will change for sure.

to clarify this: i do not want anything bad to happen to WC. if just enough of the not so happy fans hold their money back for a week or 2 ( the usual time wc needs to fix the most gamebraking things) maybe they learn something out of it. ( see it as a warning shot)

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Killerfurby said:

didn't the past prove that the majority of compnays only chenge bad behavior when the get sued the ... out of them? or they have to pay fines.?

the thing is: i never said don't buy it at all, or that i won't buy it at all. i only said i am gona wait till i see the dlc is working properly. when i learned one thing in around 20 years of online gaming: the only way things change is, if they sell less copys ( even just for a little time) then the investors force them to make changes. if they don't, companys go bankrupt and other companys buy them. especially with a franchise with such awesome potential. ( worst case) doesn't even mean things get better, but things will change for sure.

to clarify this: i do not want anything bad to happen to WC. if just enough of the not so happy fans hold their money back for a week or 2 ( the usual time wc needs to fix the most gamebraking things) maybe they learn something out of it. ( see it as a warning shot)

That's still throwing money at things, particularly to a lawyer to drag proceedings to court. Which is nowhere near the same strata as "I won't buy any more stuff from them until stuff gets fixed".

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:00 PM, ciabattaroll said:

The dilemma of this mindset though is that not putting forth any form of financial support isn't going to fix anything either. Such is the unfortunate state of our currency driven society : there is no problem that has been solved by not throwing money at it.

I disagree... not buying a product has forced companies to back track on several occasions. You just need numbers. Look at "new coke" for those of you who remember... after people quit buying the new formula the "classic" version was once again back on the market. Even Niantic added a PR person to their support staff after their player base dropped to a level where they were losing money. Money (or lack of) is a very powerful motivating factor.

14 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Don't do it again. lol 

You know, one of issue is a lot of the times they list a ETA for a patch release and it passes, some people are like "but they are on the west coast, they haven't missed the time yet".   The other point here is it's past the 8th, so why doesn't someone in Washington take a few moments and just change it to "soon"?  The issue with Wildcard has alwasy been their lack of communication.  This time there is a partial excuse that is valid for anyone in the Florida office, but that doesn't give the company that has offices in other location a pass on just being mum as they tend to always be...hurricane or not.   Of course we are all wishing them the best, doesn't mean the ones still going to work don't have to do poop.

On 9/8/2017 at 11:32 AM, Zainwolf said:

I love this game, I really do... so it makes me feel quite sad that your support department is really letting you down so badly and creating what amounts to a PR disaster for WC.

Reddit, Steam reviews, Facebook... people who have bought this game are NOT happy with the lack of useful support and lack of coherent communication from you.

Are you listening? Will you turn things around? I really hope so. Jat and Jen need to stop pretending everything is great and set this ship aright, before it sinks.

I want ARK to sail smoothly, I really do. Please guys, listen to your players. Read the Reddit threads, Steam reviews, Facebook posts. Sure, take some of them with a grain of salt.. a big one. Unhappy players are not always the most reasonable, but a lot of them have very valid points that you seriously need to address to turn "mixed" into "mostly positive" which is what I would dearly, dearly love to see for a game I haven't enjoyed playing so much since WoW's heyday. (since long past, alas)

The silence for many unacceptable issues, is deafening. If matters aren't dealt with, I fear the worst...

If we didn't love the game, we'd simply grow quickly bored and go elsewhere. You already got our money, please show us that investment (and the bigger investment of time) hasn't been wasted. Please!

It's been the same for the past 2 years. The reviews from then to now have said the same thing.

All these issues go away when you run dedicated private on your own hardware - quite literally it's a different experience compared to official. You would think that the lack of support is almost intentional to push people to private hosting. Dont fall for that, hosting on your own older computer works just fine and gives you and your tribe complete control with none of the toxicity of official.

Archived