PR Disaster

Zainwolf

so why did you buy the season pass yet, when your not happy? i don't understand those people. you realy think anything is gona change if people post something on the forum? its a company. they only change if people don't buy their stuff ( atleast not instant) i haven't bought the season pass for a couple reasons: first they never bothered to fix SE problems that have ben there from the start ( like the 2 bugged wyvern nests which never spawn an egg) , second the game has so many issues right now... they need to fix the majority of them first before i even think of giving them another cent. third, i gona wait til i see how buggy and unplayable the next dlc will be and wait for them to release a propper working product before i even decide if i gona buy it.

don't get me wrong. i am a big ark fan and realy like playing it. but there is just so much i am willing to acept from a company. no matter how good the concept of their game is.

but aslong as people hand them over their money without thinking, nothing is ever gona change

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not be awkward here; 7/10, 70ish/100, 3/5 is not considered a good score for reviews nowadays since everything became hype-centric it's mediocre to okay. Decent games get 75+, good games get 85+ and any game that has paid enough/has enough players/actually happens to be genuinely great gets 89+.

That can be somewhat shown by reading the actual content of the reviews that are giving them these scores: "an unbalanced game with too many extraneous features and unrefined, unfocused fundamentals", "But when so much of Ark is grinding drudgery, the consequences of its unforgiving style are hard to enjoy.", "At higher levels, though, taming animals becomes a joke", "still weird graphical glitches all over the place", "Worst of all is the fact that the AI on larger dinosaurs is pretty terrible.", 

71% on Metacritic is considered mixed; not positive, also the user rating is at 41%. The MMOs.com review is from more than a year ago when it was still in Early Access, even IGN who gave it 7.7 had some pretty damning things to say about it; "When I’m having a good time in ARK, I’m having a really good time. The problem is that those moments are usually one part to every nine parts menial grinding and crafting"

PR Disaster is probably a stretch I agree, but let's not pretend things have gone great here...

32 minutes ago, Killerfurby said:

so why did you buy the season pass yet, when your not happy? i don't understand those people. you realy think anything is gona change if people post something on the forum? its a company. they only change if people don't buy their stuff ( atleast not instant) i haven't bought the season pass for a couple reasons: first they never bothered to fix SE problems that have ben there from the start ( like the 2 bugged wyvern nests which never spawn an egg) , second the game has so many issues right now... they need to fix the majority of them first before i even think of giving them another cent. third, i gona wait til i see how buggy and unplayable the next dlc will be and wait for them to release a propper working product before i even decide if i gona buy it.

don't get me wrong. i am a big ark fan and realy like playing it. but there is just so much i am willing to acept from a company. no matter how good the concept of their game is.

but aslong as people hand them over their money without thinking, nothing is ever gona change

I bought the season pass because I have close to 1000 hours of this game in bugs or not the only game that exceeds that time is Civilization. That's an incredible value for 40 dollars with SE and I know buggy or not I will like the new expansions just as much.

But further more I don't have the issues you do. I have never experienced a single glitch or bug I'd call "game breaking" there's always a way around it. I've been a pc gamer for close to 2 decades I've seen games with a lot less bugs and games with a lot more. But I've never seen a game with the level of scope, inter-activeness, and full multiplayer that Ark has. When you look at the number of moving pieces ark has working in tandem with even a basic understanding of game programming, you understand this game will ALWAYS have glitches.

I won't defend their communication, it's piss poor at best. But I also don't care. They are fixing and addressing things they might not address what you want the minute you want it but to say they aren't addressing anything is asinine. People almost stun me with their inconsistencies there will be a complaint that wildcard doesn't care and don't fix anything sitting right next to a complaint that the frequent updates are to much.

TL;DR Wildcard puts in insane hours the patch times prove they are in no way working 9-5 then done. They are consistently working on the game and improving it everyday. If you choose to not support them that's on you but don't question why others do.

18 minutes ago, Williamskylord said:

But further more I don't have the issues you do. I have never experienced a single glitch or bug I'd call "game breaking" there's always a way around it. I've been a pc gamer for close to 2 decades I've seen games with a lot less bugs and games with a lot more. But I've never seen a game with the level of scope, inter-activeness, and full multiplayer that Ark has. When you look at the number of moving pieces ark has working in tandem with even a basic understanding of game programming, you understand this game will ALWAYS have glitches.

TL;DR Wildcard puts in insane hours the patch times prove they are in no way working 9-5 then done. They are consistently working on the game and improving it everyday. If you choose to not support them that's on you but don't question why others do.

Amen to these two paragraphs, especially the bolded text.

Yeah. Their support is pretty shocking. I recently submitted a ticket with regards to an inssue in single player where the artifcats arent spawning.

This was the response I got.

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Studio Wildcard Customer Support. We're sorry that we were unable to get to your ticket in time. We're happy to join everyone on the new servers. While we will still have a section in support for "Legacy Servers", the support we will be providing players on these servers will be very limited. Mainly, we'll be able to answer some basic questions and point you in the right direction for answers. We hope to see/hear from you guys having fun on the new servers and wish you all the best of luck going forward.

Please visit https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/articles.html/the-great-migration-xbox-uwp-r522/ for more information.

Please note; this ticket will be auto closed.

Sincerely,

GM Ortalio
Studio Wildcard"

Nowhere in the above response did they even attempt to answer my concern.

a While back I submitted a ticket about fatal errors, Attached was the error log as well as my dxdiag. The response I got was:

"Greetings Survivor,

Thank you for contacting Studio Wildcard Customer Support. I am Lelantos with Technical Support and I'll be doing my best to assist you with your issue. First, I'd like to apologize for my very delayed response. Due to the very high ticket volume, it has been difficult getting to tickets in a timely manner. When running ARK, could you try running with the following Launch Options? 
-USEALLAVAILABLECORES -nomansky -lowmemory -novsync

Make sure you're launching in the "Extremely Low Memory" option when starting ARK up. From looking into the provided details, I'm assuming that the issue could be with the amount of RAM you have. Keep in mind that when running a Single Player instance, the requirements are higher than if you were to run a regular multiplayer instance. However, it is a big confusing that you can run The Center fine, but not The Island.

Let me know how that works out for you!
Sincerely,

GM Lelantos
Studio WildCard

http://www.studiowildcard.com/"

Telling me to run in "low Memory Mode" when I have 32gb installed is idiotic. 

Wildcard really need to step up in the communication/support department. The bad rep they are getting for it is justified. 

2 hours ago, Danouk said:

Its not the PR that's a disaster it's there communication.

Someone said if at least they say it on their official twitter. Find that not acceptable. Any game I play and I think it's mostly everyone, when I want a question answered or looking to know what is going on with the game I come to the official forum to find out. I don't go to twitter lol.

I can only agree with most of what's been said above and this comment in particular!

Unfortunately this has been a issue for well over a year now and I can only see it getting worse imo. As we've ended production of the game and moved into the selling phase of development you will slowly see customer service dwindle to nothing.

The thing that killed ark for me was the continuous sprouting of there  (wc) mantra "we're building a game with our community" while continuing to ignore issues. 

I spent two weeks trying to bring an issue too the developer's, multiple theads were created here explaining the problem only for them (wc) to announce on twitter I might add that they (wc) knew nothing about this issue!! Pfff well if you just looked at your official site your directing people too you may of known about it sighhh.

I hope this game doesn't go the way of Pokémon Go. Niantic had a huge player base and suffered from the same type of communication failures... by the time they hired a PR person it was too late. Eventually someone will come up with a similar game that fixes the issues they have and people will leave if they do not fix their communication problems.

I imagine this new expansion pack will be like scorched... If you want to get ahead in the game you will have to buy it. From what I understand this is going to be the best way to farm element in bulk, plus the only way to get the new items. I am waiting to see what they do with legacy servers before I purchase anything else, though.

As far as the "busy, don't have time" excuse I call BS. You always have time to do what is important to you, communication is just not in the top 10 things they are concerned with. Real problem is they do not have 1 person whose job it is to talk to us... it seems like every department communicates on their own time table in the way that they feel most comfortable communicating with no consistency. They need to hire 1 person whose sole job is player communication, even if they are only part time. They can compile what the players need to know and be responsible for getting the word out. It would need to be someone who can be firm with the other members of the staff and have the full support from leadership so they can go to person x and say "why the heck did you not get me this before it went out... if it happens again the consequences will be xyz... Communication with out player base is a big priority here now."

So, knowing that I'll probably be trolled for this... I still need to say it.

Your game is absolutely amazing and thank you for working so hard on it.

However, there is one glaring spot that needs to be improved - Communication.

Yes, u have twitter and these forums - but when I'm playing Ark...I'm not glued to my phone.  

When bad patches happen, I understand.  My character was restored... no harm done.  But, explain to me why you couldnt use your in-game message system to warn everyone about the rollback?

You use the system to warn of patches... or even "big surprises!  Tune in @ yada yada" ....  but why no message after the latest patch... "We're experiencing an issue with the recent patch.... servers will rollback in 1 hr"

The people who were unaffected by the bad patch...continued playing...and grinding...and taming....and trading.. oblivious to what was coming.   They effectively lost 1-2hrs of their time...to nothing.  

A simple in game msg might have saved some time...some tames...some bad PR.  Those on the server could have warned joining characters...and that snafu could have been minimized. 

So, as I said.  Thank you for an amazing game....but Communication really needs to be improved.

-Cupcake

wildcard is known for a couple things: having a very sporadic time scale, and not properly communicating with the players. this is something that, sadly, we have mostly all grown accustomed to because it hasn't changed in the past two years. 

the game is great. i love ark and i would be lying if i said it wasn't my favorite game to play. but the fact that their communication is awful still holds true.

1 hour ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

I hope this game doesn't go the way of Pokémon Go. Niantic had a huge player base and suffered from the same type of communication failures... by the time they hired a PR person it was too late. Eventually someone will come up with a similar game that fixes the issues they have and people will leave if they do not fix their communication problems.

I imagine this new expansion pack will be like scorched... If you want to get ahead in the game you will have to buy it. From what I understand this is going to be the best way to farm element in bulk, plus the only way to get the new items. I am waiting to see what they do with legacy servers before I purchase anything else, though.

As far as the "busy, don't have time" excuse I call BS. You always have time to do what is important to you, communication is just not in the top 10 things they are concerned with. Real problem is they do not have 1 person whose job it is to talk to us... it seems like every department communicates on their own time table in the way that they feel most comfortable communicating with no consistency. They need to hire 1 person whose sole job is player communication, even if they are only part time. They can compile what the players need to know and be responsible for getting the word out. It would need to be someone who can be firm with the other members of the staff and have the full support from leadership so they can go to person x and say "why the heck did you not get me this before it went out... if it happens again the consequences will be xyz... Communication with out player base is a big priority here now."

yes. Pokemon GO is so buggy laggy and had a really bad manangement and it lost alot of players...

Don't forget, now Ark is not the only game of this type... Dark and light is a great game! Very similar to ark but more fantasy flavored with some bugs...  I will be judging the support I receive from both companies. Bottom line: my money is going to go to where I have the most fun and the least headaches... 

Flashback to january 2016, Winter event is just gone, people have been complaining for at least 3 week about the cold temp everywhere killing all the new players every 2 min everywhere on the map, at the same moment that they had put the game on sales at around 7$ to bring new players, also complaining about the snow everywhere blinding us during days. They finally did bother answering concerns like 2 week after the event. TheRightHand said that they knew they were bad at communicating but they had no intention of getting better at it, takes too much time and efforts.

Fast foward up to now, well they stayed true to that. Milking the cows is and will always be the priority on the list, outputting a quality product and communication is at the very bottom of that list.

It's not lack of comminucation skills, it's a lack of will. Don't expect them to get better at it, to them , it's not important.

I believe some of these comments take it too far. When they started developing the game they did not have the things we currently have ingame now as a vision. This game was fully tested by us. We got the game and made so many demands and complains about the problems im sure it was overwhelming. If anything it was released too early for launch and thats all there is to complain about. Complain about cheaters if you want but thats gonna be in any game you play. Surely that noob that 360 quick scoped you on COD last night was cheathing am i right?

• Volunteer Moderator
11 hours ago, Killerfurby said:

The dilemma of this mindset though is that not putting forth any form of financial support isn't going to fix anything either. Such is the unfortunate state of our currency driven society : there is no problem that has been solved by not throwing money at it.

So I got twitter to get the devs attention, because you can't get it in here. Or the support tickets you put in take a long time to get answered.

There customer service is bad. Simple as that.

Since launch the cluster servers on Xbox have been missing maps for there cluster(1 of each map), the issue hasn't been addressed, I'm over 50 tweets in, 4 topics, a bunch of tickets to server support..and nothing.

But guys...it's ea....oh wait....its not

Archived