Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

1 hour ago, Volcano637 said:

Come on devs, just hire me as a temp and then I can have an "oops" moment and accidentally wipe the servers. Then get mad at me and fire me, and then apologize to the community for making the mistake of hiring someone like me. 

People will hate me and you guys can be free to do as you would like. Let's do this! ?

Would give me that excuse to spend money on that Ryzen 1800X 64GB server rack to run cluster unofficials. Am however thinking about the NBN connection tho, will it be good enough in Australia? Also does dedicated care that my IP is dynamic instead of static?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sphere said:

Would give me that excuse to spend money on that Ryzen 1800X 64GB server rack to run cluster unofficials. Am however thinking about the NBN connection tho, will it be good enough in Australia? Also does dedicated care that my IP is dynamic instead of static?

Ah dude you are asking the wrong person ????

6 minutes ago, Sphere said:

Your going to need something like DYNdns for dynamic ip resolution or a dns server that can manage the dynamic ip in the background.. I would assume anyways....

https://dyn.com/dns/

i dunno about Dyndns, but from looking at no-ip looks straight forward.  They are just mapping your domain such as www.mysuperawesomeserver.com to your dynamic ip so you do not have to keep updating that bit.  Dyndns looks like they also offer DDOS protection not sure about no-ip.  I usually have to configure stuff like netiq and load balancers, which i think is a bit heavy handed for what your looking for...

9 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Yeah that's a lot of money to be spending. But hey if you really want it get it lol that's what it really comes down to, how badly you want it

It would be easier to rent a server, sure. But there's something more enjoyable about actually owning the hardware. One bonus of actually owning the entire thing is, you also technically own all of everybodys bases and dinosaurs. Because you could power the machine off, or keep it running indefinitely. Unless lightning owns the machine first. Going to need surge protection that guards against lightning strikes.

But yeah, anyways, I'm not going to bother if there is no wipe. 2K is only my motivation if there is nothing to hold onto anymore in officials.

Also really appreciate the help fixing the problem with dynamic address. This was one of my big concerns.

1 hour ago, Sphere said:

It would be easier to rent a server, sure. But there's something more enjoyable about actually owning the hardware. One bonus of actually owning the entire thing is, you also technically own all of everybodys bases and dinosaurs. Because you could power the machine off, or keep it running indefinitely. Unless lightning owns the machine first. Going to need surge protection that guards against lightning strikes.

But yeah, anyways, I'm not going to bother if there is no wipe. 2K is only my motivation if there is nothing to hold onto anymore in officials.

Also really appreciate the help fixing the problem with dynamic address. This was one of my big concerns.

"Cheaper" is also subjective. Up-front cost and depending on all things involved, small maintenance costs are largely one-time and/or rare. Plus the hardware can be repurposed later if you ever want to move away from ARK, no hassles and no potential fee for revision. Rental on the other hand is an endlessly ongoing expense for the life of the server. So... calculate intended longevity of server-use vs. cost and usually owned hardware comes out ahead.

'Course that also depends on how many external subscription services you rely on to add to it...

I prefer ownership over rental of literally anything because if 'anything happens,' I can't really 'lose' anything. Exceptions apply, but... 

21 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

Wow. I go on a hike and walk in on this poop storm. The wipe is very much happening. There has been a lot more evidence lately ever since a few months ago. It is coming!

You talk a lot like you have some inside information If you do we'd all love to hear the source but truthfully there will be no wipe regardless of what you or anyone else wants. Reputations are damn near impossible to rebuild and I know you don't think so, but they are... so if they lied to us (their customers) expect their reputations to take a pounding and although their game may sell OK the long term damage will be worse than simply following what they proclaimed they will do. Honesty is the best policy in private and business life I'd hate for them to find this out the hard way.

13 minutes ago, Lucifina said:

You talk a lot like you have some inside information If you do we'd all love to hear the source but truthfully there will be no wipe regardless of what you or anyone else wants. Reputations are damn near impossible to rebuild and I know you don't think so, but they are... so if they lied to us (their customers) expect their reputations to take a pounding and although their game may sell OK the long term damage will be worse than simply following what they proclaimed they will do. Honesty is the best policy in private and business life I'd hate for them to find this out the hard way.

Lol so you have some inside information then? ?

I act the way I do because I am playing on forcing an answer even if it means it doesn't go my way. I know it's going to happen because regardless of a wipe people are going to leave. The game is old. Once people get wiped by some tribe they will be gone as well. It is past it's time and so are the old players. If megas actually fought the game would be done as well.

like everybody that argues with me says, if the wipe happen then people have no reason to stay, well as far as old players go. New players get wiped and the will rebuild just like we all did. The future is key and I think wildcard knows that, well I would hope so anyway.

• Volunteer Moderator

Regardless of what anybody says here to the contrary. There are no plans for a wipe/no wipe yet.

WC will let their plans be known when they are ready.

Until then, lets keep the chatter of WILL or WILL NOT OMGWTFBBQ I KNOW FOR A FACT they will wipe/not wipe...to a dull roar.

Speculation is fine, but please stop acting like you know for a fact what is going to happen. Nobody knows but WC (if they even do right now).

11 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

Lol so you have some inside information then? ?

I act the way I do because I am playing on forcing an answer even if it means it doesn't go my way. I know it's going to happen because regardless of a wipe people are going to leave. The game is old. Once people get wiped by some tribe they will be gone as well. It is past it's time and so are the old players. If megas actually fought the game would be done as well.

like everybody that argues with me says, if the wipe happen then people have no reason to stay, well as far as old players go. New players get wiped and the will rebuild just like we all did. The future is key and I think wildcard knows that, well I would hope so anyway.

Interesting perspective yes I agree people will leave either way. In my opinion facing the potential backlash from going back on their word (yes it may have been a year ago but it hasn't been addressed since at least not directly like it had been) I'm a serious gamer (LoL in my opinion) and I would never buy another game from these developers if they go back on their word. I don't think I'm alone in that. I also don't think having a release get marred by horrible scathing reviews (there would be plenty) would help either. Of course ultimately this is their cookie so I'm hoping for the best and will see where it ends up.

2 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Regardless of what anybody says here to the contrary. There are no plans for a wipe/no wipe yet.

Until then, lets keep the chatter of WILL or WILL NOT OMGWTFBBQ I KNOW FOR A FACT they will wipe/not wipe...to a dull roar.

Speculation is fine, but please stop acting like you know for a fact what is going to happen. Nobody knows but WC (if they even do right now).

So I'm just speculating on your statement you stated, basically there debating it,and if they are debating it, it is being heavily considered then? Thank you for clarifying none the less. Either way, whats your opinion or dull roar, should they or shouldn't they or maybe just roll out phase 2 servers? 

4 hours ago, Lucifina said:

Interesting perspective yes I agree people will leave either way. In my opinion facing the potential backlash from going back on their word (yes it may have been a year ago but it hasn't been addressed since at least not directly like it had been) I'm a serious gamer (LoL in my opinion) and I would never buy another game from these developers if they go back on their word. I don't think I'm alone in that. I also don't think having a release get marred by horrible scathing reviews (there would be plenty) would help either. Of course ultimately this is their cookie so I'm hoping for the best and will see where it ends up.

I just don't get this whole going back on your word thing. I don't worry too much about what devs say. This is actually the first game forum I have ever been on. I'll buy any game they make because I know they can make a good game. I will also buy any resident evil, call of duty, or assassins creed. Even if they devs came to me and said they couldn't care less about me and I suck and all they want is my money, I would still buy the game because I really don't care what they think or say, I play games to have fun. Believe me they are a lot less important to me than I am to them.

i could keep going but I just am not feeling it. I just don't get it.

15 hours ago, OGCookies said:

Theres been many updates to combat the duping as well tho such as stacked industrial items were taken away and other things only thing left really is to nerf existing items that they arnt going to remove such as those 560 durability BPs 560 isnt insanely high either i got a 270 dmg 450 dura long eck bp from a legit 450% eff rod recently, removing an item is removing an item dosnt matter if its a BP or a piece of thatch they can do it

No, the problem is that they still cannot stop the initial duping. Its still happening. :S

As for the items, they will never be able to find and nerf them all because theyof never assigned a code to the items you found by fishing or, jumping puzzle. so they can nerf batch after batch, there will always be some that fall through the cracks. 

6 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

You're no fun.

Fine. I'll just say that I BELIEVE it's a guarantee that there will be a wipe.

And I'm a bit surprised. Usually game developers tend to keep their volunteer moderators in the dark. The devs at Wildcard actually told you they have no plans for a wipe at this time?

Not even a plan for a plan for a wipe? :)

8 hours ago, BobRoss said:

No, the problem is that they still cannot stop the initial duping. Its still happening.

As for the items, they will never be able to find and nerf them all because theyof never assigned a code to the items you found by fishing or, jumping puzzle. so they can nerf batch after batch, there will always be some that fall through the cracks. 

That is very true. They have to find some way to stop duping before they wipe the servers. Or atleast a way to make it ridiculously hard to be able to accomplish duping.

the thing is some people are right. They will always find a way around it so after they wipe they just need to do their due diligence and when another way pops up then they just eliminate it and keep doing so.

cant wait for it

8 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

That is very true. They have to find some way to stop duping before they wipe the servers. Or atleast a way to make it ridiculously hard to be able to accomplish duping.

the thing is some people are right. They will always find a way around it so after they wipe they just need to do their due diligence and when another way pops up then they just eliminate it and keep doing so.

cant wait for it

They need to keep better logs. Then it would be least easier to trace and work out whether suspicious activity is happening. For instance if a tribe had say several vaults full of large elevator platforms that might be suspicious but you wouldn't be able to do much with that lone. However if you could go through the history of each elevator platform and see how it was created then you could find a possible smoking gun provided the logging was sufficient.

Or alternatively you could just accidentally live stream your tribe duping but thats a different discussion ;)

1 minute ago, BulletForce said:

They need to keep better logs. Then it would be least easier to trace and work out whether suspicious activity is happening. For instance if a tribe had say several vaults full of large elevator platforms sitting in vaults that might be suspicious but you wouldn't be able to do with that lone. However if you could go through the history of each elevator platform and see how it is created then you could find a possible smoking gun provided the logging was sufficient.

Awesome idea ? Yeah there are ways to get it done. It's if they are willing to or not lol

as long as everything starts fresh I am good either way

16 minutes ago, Dark2084 said:

What we know so far is , Jeremy did go public a year ago and say they will "not" be wiping the Official Servers on ARK's release. So as I have no reason to believe that he is not a man of his word I would say that those of us that are on a good official server have nothing to worry about.

Like a good used car salesman sometimes you have to have a good sales pitch. If they are going to wipe they are obviously not going to make it known until the last minute.

12 minutes ago, Dark2084 said:

What we know so far is , Jeremy did go public a year ago and say they will "not" be wiping the Official Servers on ARK's release. So as I have no reason to believe that he is not a man of his word I would say that those of us that are on a good official server have nothing to worry about.

The longer they drag their feet on the matter the less concerned I am about the possibility of a wipe.  It's one thing for them to have a change of heart or a fundamental need for the wipe (which they have not expressed to my knowledge), but to continually wait after the remarks of E3 and after giving us a launch date would be more than going back on their previous statements.  It would be almost purposefully letting players and fans of the game continue grinding, breeding, taming and building knowing that a wipe was possible without a single heads up.  I mean on my server alone I hear all the time about people missing out on sleep because their raising gigas/quetz/wvys.   Or players who let others into their tribe only to have all their items and dinos stolen and have to rebuild.  Seeing those players go through all that over the last month alone and having a wipe occur not to long from now would be almost funny if it wasn't such a d-bag of a move. 

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived