Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

4 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

Same could be said about the post he quoted

i still don't get it, is he annoyed about PVE players staying in Legacy? Is he annoyed that PVE players will leave legacy? aren't ghost town servers being reset and distributed to the new servers?

his comment seems to be a floating sarcastic response to...well...something?

IGNORE THIS, IM STILL WAKING UP

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
7 hours ago, DeningWei said:

Ahh I am not trying to turn it into an argument, I am just trying to let you know what I believe will happen.  Mega tribes will have any new servers locked down within a day or two.  It's gonna be the same rubbish whether it's legacy or new.  And legacy servers will still be a hotbed of activity.  If any mega tribes decided to move to the new servers and abandon Legacy then other mega tribes will make their move to fill the gaps. 

One thing that will be really interesting will be if duping will be fixed by the time the new servers roll out.  My money is on a plethora of duping from day one.  Mega tribes probably already have a few methods they are keeping secret for use on the new servers because they will be able to do it without fear that the new servers will be rolled back.  Within weeks both legacy and new will have the same duped stuff floating around, the same mega tribes controlling them.  At that point there won't be much reason to keep them seperated except for the fact they have given their word they will will not be merged.  And I guess with recent developments their word has proven to be a big thing.

The following is a question that was asked and Jats reply.  Do with it as you will.

17 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Am I reading this right? The DDOS and duping fixes arent coming until release when WC launches the new servers?

No it's all happening in the present, there will be working being done constantly - this was just to clear up any concerns about the servers.

And, there are other methods WC could employ.  Would be great if they had detection logic and logging(a bit more generalized) that could provide them analytics on possible exploiting activities.  If so, they could zero in and nuke those involved and/or their tribe, depending on the level of activity.   Then, combine that with a low tolerance policy:  If your activities negatively impact a servers performance in an excessive way, you will be wiped from the server, and possibly banned.

6 hours ago, Musketeer said:

Yes... and this is another reason not to waste time on legacy PvE. They've been devalued, new servers are way more appealing. I alone cannot save my server, because people will go for what's more appealing... Our server is about year old, I play there from day one. People come and go, that's fine. But if you don't get new people servers will eventually die...From people who started about the same time as me there is only 2 players left on our server... the rest is 'new' players.

- So from that perspective is there any point in doing anything productive on legacy servers? No.

-All breeding turned out to be a complete waste of time. I'm glad I didn't breed anything those past months.

There is a bright side.. no sleepless nights ;)

- good thing about new cluster - no duped or god dinos spawned by some moron that in the end ruined future of our servers. If I was new player I would 100% go to new servers for fresh start without those bs duped and god dinos.

- as for mega tribes - they obviously will move to new servers

- dupers - afaik duping hasn't been fixed yet, many do it for profit so they will go to new servers no doubt.. that's where the money is (real money).

- god dinos - will that happen again? time will tell.

I'm not seeing why the mega tribes on PvE would wanna move. They're many and they're established. It's certainly not appealing to them. You don't necessarily need new people; you've got one another. And you'll still probably get new people every so often. Besides, if your server is determined to be a 'ghost town', can't you just upload through CrossARK and move your 'merchandise' to a more populated corner of Officials? The culling of servers is, inevitably, gonna just push you all back together again. 

8 minutes ago, OnePotatoChip said:

I'm not seeing why the mega tribes on PvE would wanna move. They're many and they're established. It's certainly not appealing to them. You don't necessarily need new people; you've got one another. And you'll still probably get new people every so often. Besides, if your server is determined to be a 'ghost town', can't you just upload through CrossARK and move your 'merchandise' to a more populated corner of Officials? The culling of servers is, inevitably, gonna just push you all back together again. 

Yep i and many people i play with on pve have no plans of going anywhere

that being said i think the majority of those that were pushing for a wipe were pvp with the thought of being able to battle to the top with minimal cheating and exploits and pve people were the majorty of no wipe voters

12 minutes ago, OGCookies said:

Yep i and many people i play with on pve have no plans of going anywhere

that being said i think the majority of those that were pushing for a wipe were pvp with the thought of being able to battle to the top with minimal cheating and exploits and pve people were the majorty of no wipe voters

I also am PVE and the drive for wipe from this end was exactly the point that I raised in my previous post.  With server clustering, Alpha PVE tribes move on to the (N)ext (B)ig (T)hing, but never clear out of where they were.  They merely get a team of guys to pop back to their old server once every two weeks or so in order to maintain the timers on their bases.
For example, several current alphas have already indicated they plan to move to Ragnarok as soon as it is released for console.  They will come back to my server once in a blue moon to reset the timers on their structures.  Essentially, this robs the server of resources and build-able land for perpetuity.  Weeks ago I posted an analysis of one mega base on my server that was taking 5% of the build-able by itself, all for a single greenhouse building.  The owner of that base is NEVER on as far as I can tell (from chat), but every 2 weeks the structure timers magically reset and there's nothing the server can do about it.

I think the decision rendered was the best they could have done without having the whole thing explode in bad publicity.  However, I seriously doubt it's actually going to solve any of the long-term, structural problems with the game's internal self-regulation. 

7 minutes ago, electricblooz said:

I also am PVE and the drive for wipe from this end was exactly the point that I raised in my previous post.  With server clustering, Alpha PVE tribes move on to the (N)ext (B)ig (T)hing, but never clear out of where they were.  They merely get a team of guys to pop back to their old server once every two weeks or so in order to maintain the timers on their bases.
For example, several current alphas have already indicated they plan to move to Ragnarok as soon as it is released for console.  They will come back to my server once in a blue moon to reset the timers on their structures.  Essentially, this robs the server of resources and build-able land for perpetuity.  Weeks ago I posted an analysis of one mega base on my server that was taking 5% of the build-able by itself, all for a single greenhouse building.  The owner of that base is NEVER on as far as I can tell (from chat), but every 2 weeks the structure timers magically reset and there's nothing the server can do about it.

I think the decision rendered was the best they could have done without having the whole thing explode in bad publicity.  However, I seriously doubt it's actually going to solve any of the long-term, structural problems with the game's internal self-regulation. 

That will happen with or without new clusters people get bored or move onto new maps/games and just come back to maintain the base in case they want to play again i myself have quit for about 6 months and did this thats the beauty of PVE you dont have to dedicate your life to the game or be in a 100 person tribe to play and keep ur stuff

51 minutes ago, OnePotatoChip said:

Regarding mega tribes I meant PvP... no such thing like mega tribes or alpha tribes on PvE

Our first step in response to this change will be destroying our outposts (with handful of dinos) on  SE and Island. No need to actively play on these maps, it's not all about maintaining the main base and dinos on the Center and one outpost on Ragnarok because it's a nice map. I'll probably kill dinos I used to breed for mutations, because what's the point to continue breeding.. none.. That will allow us to play the game less - less dinos and less outposts to look after. What next.. i don't know at this point.

If we decide to play on new cluster above measures will only help us.

4 minutes ago, Musketeer said:

Our first step in response to this change will be destroying our outposts (with handful of dinos) on  SE and Island. No need to actively play on these maps, it's not all about maintaining the main base and dinos on the Center and one outpost on Ragnarok because it's a nice map. I'll probably kill dinos I used to breed for mutations, because what's the point to continue breeding.. none.. That will allow us to play the game less - less dinos and less outposts to look after. What next.. i don't know at this point.

If we decide to play on new cluster above measures will only help us.

Instead of killing them, why not just upload them and move them to more populated corners of the Legacy cluster? 

1 hour ago, SuperGenki said:

Honestly I do not see your issue here. Either start a character on one of the fresh new servers or continue your current progress and keep all your stuff on the legacy cluster.

The Issue is that people have a lot to loose on the Legacy Cluster and they will have a very hard time leaving it all behind. If people stay they will slowly rot until they wipe the last Legacy cluster. WC say things they don't mean to fake caring about their testers that work for free.. That is my issue - WC not having balls to make a decision and wipe all of it and instead they weaseled out of it and packaged it all like they were going out of their way to do a favor to the old players. If that makes sense to you.  

2 hours ago, mphelan49 said:

Nice questions.

I have been playing for well over 18 months, but have seen Dupers/DDOS attacks destroy a few servers, moving through them without a care in the world. I mean i see one server that had 3 alpha's that had been established for a year or more, wiped out in less than a week.

Its only recently that I have joined a tribe and seen the real element of PVP this game has to offer but it can only do that by fair means, and work and time played not the ability to DDOS the servers and dupe like mad.

So for me personally I would be more than happy to move to a new cluster and start all over again but and this is the big BUT..... only if they sort out the duping/DDOS issues before releasing this new server cluster, otherwise it will just be completely pointless. I am looking forward to staring a fresh, hopefully a new tribe with decent tribe members and learning/discovering all the elements I have missed but playing solo-ing for so long.

I do feel sorry for genuine established hardworking tribes on legacy servers, but there will come a point that these mega dupers have no one else to destroy and will eventually end up on there servers to do the same, giving WC the low population levels to fall into the wipe category!! 

I cant but help think this is how they see it all panning out. Keep both sides happy, and not having to  deal with the mega dupers now, in the hope they will move from server to sever destroying everything in which WC can stay neutral, and recommission the server at a later date. (Fair play this is how i would probably have handled it, as it was a difficult decision to make)

I was in favor of a full wipe, with duping issues sorted allowing experienced people to start a fresh and establish, while new people could come in a benefit from the expertise.

I think they should also consider smaller clusters on 10 of each map that you can only transfer to instead of all severs, but with maybe a PVP arena server where you can set up a non base dino war/ or a temp base war to challenge people on other clusters.

Indeed the duping issues are insane and my main concern is that the issues are not fixed and breading selections will be all ruined. WC have promised things in the past and not delivered. 

9 minutes ago, FerdinantFritz said:

If that makes sense to you. 

Not to be obtuse, but not really.

16 minutes ago, FerdinantFritz said:

..people have a lot to loose..

Exactly and WC has graciously supplied an opportunity to maintain their progress rather than needing to start fresh.  It's a Legacy "cluster" so if your server does go south you can always move to (or invade) a more populated one. I don't see where they are "weaseling" out. If anything they are keeping their word and honoring their long standing promise to avoid wipes unless necessary.

11 minutes ago, OnePotatoChip said:

Your going to see legacy PvE servers and tribes actively  recruit on the new servers to fill positions and land vacancies as well as just adding fresh players in general. So instead of massive pillared off pieces of land with gates everywhere you will have pillared off pieces of land along the starting areas with recruiting centers. What better place to go to find the next group of dedicated players right? 

I agree with the OP. The decission they tooks is very far from what is considered a reward.

I think at this point they should reconsider and:

1) Work on methods to auto-delete or auto-clamp the duplicated items or dinos. Even auto-delete every dino that looks duplicated and leave one single copy would be good for most of the people.

2) Manually acept transfers to new servers, under the control of the GM's, to guarantee no more than 1 dino with same stat/color/gender/imprinting is moved to new server. 

Otherwise, at least for me, the game is dead. Im not gonna repit all the progression, lose a month breeding gigas/tusos to then have another 12 days of sleep deprievation while imprinting a tuso or a giga...

16 minutes ago, SuperGenki said:

Not to be obtuse, but not really.

Exactly and WC has graciously supplied an opportunity to maintain their progress rather than needing to start fresh.  It's a Legacy "cluster" so if your server does go south you can always move to (or invade) a more populated one. I don't see where they are "weaseling" out. If anything they are keeping their word and honoring their long standing promise to avoid wipes unless necessary.

You see from our prospective WC could have  done something to stop the issues in regards to duping, they have neglected the issue over and over. There are no guarantees that this will not happen again. '' graciously supplied an opportunity to maintain their progress'' - What is the so called progress worth if you are left stranded on a cluster with no one to fight , hundreds of empty servers facilitating stubborn lone survivors refusing to leave ? You are just left waiting for the inevitable end. They wanted to wipe all of the servers just a day before release as they were unable to resolve the duplication situation that has been plaguing PVP for a long time now..

Let me ask you this, did you play in a big tribe ? Have you ever taken part in a cross server war ? Have you ever spent 3 months of your time to get the max stats on a Rex/Therezino/Giga ? 

This game is a time sink, some play it casually, but some people look at it with a bit more seriousness. And it is our problem that we spend all this time on it. However, the decision to divide the cluster just feels wrong and seems like WC are avoiding responsibility to man up and Wipe it all.

I think people are too worried about the addition of official servers. I don't think legacy servers will be abandoned for the new servers, I think instead we will see alot of unofficial servers being created with the addition of console players being able to rent servers of their own. I think that's where the legacy players will go. That's what the people in my tribe are planning to do. Me, I'm staying on my legacy server till wildcard takes it away hopefully by than I won't miss it as much as I would now.

10 minutes ago, Specter229 said:

I think people are too worried about the addition of official servers. I don't think legacy servers will be abandoned for the new servers, I think instead we will see alot of unofficial servers being created with the addition of console players being able to rent servers of their own. I think that's where the legacy players will go. That's what the people in my tribe are planning to do. Me, I'm staying on my legacy server till wildcard takes it away hopefully by than I won't miss it as much as I would now.

I'm staying on mine, too much work put in, and we have a healthy pop and have learned to coexist for the benefit of the server..

1 minute ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

I'm staying on mine, too much work put in, and we have a healthy pop and have learned to coexist for the benefit of the server..

There's just so much assumption going on. People thinking the legacy servers will die, people thinking the new servers will die, I think the new players are gonna spread out across all the servers legacy or otherwise. If there are that many new players to begin with. Which is also an assumption but let's think for a second, how many legacy players are buying the disc version because they want the collectors edition? Plenty of Ark YouTubers have simply to give then away. I don't think we will see a true influx of new players till the holidays myself. I can already see Ark being a black Friday deal at wal mart.

30 minutes ago, FerdinantFritz said:

You see from our prospective WC could have  done something to stop the issues in regards to duping, they have neglected the issue over and over. There are no guarantees that this will not happen again. '' graciously supplied an opportunity to maintain their progress'' - What is the so called progress worth if you are left stranded on a cluster with no one to fight , hundreds of empty servers facilitating stubborn lone survivors refusing to leave ? You are just left waiting for the inevitable end. They wanted to wipe all of the servers just a day before release as they were unable to resolve the duplication situation that has been plaguing PVP for a long time now..

Let me ask you this, did you play in a big tribe ? Have you ever taken part in a cross server war ? Have you ever spent 3 months of your time to get the max stats on a Rex/Therezino/Giga ? 

This game is a time sink, some play it casually, but some people look at it with a bit more seriousness. And it is our problem that we spend all this time on it. However, the decision to divide the cluster just feels wrong and seems like WC are avoiding responsibility to man up and Wipe it all.

It's not as easy as saying "WC should do something about duping". They have to find the root cause and correct it so it cannot happen again without breaking other areas of game play. Keeping your progress and removing duped items is a paradox. The only thing they could do was have the fresh servers on a different cluster. Whether your legacy experience is you and your tribe curling up and waiting to die or something more optimistic is up to you.

If at least they let me transfer a handful of bred by me wyverns (no god wyverns, not duped wyverns, not obtained with cheats, not claimed from anyone) I would be just happy to leave legacy servers for good and move to new servers.

I don't care about Rexes, I don't think I'll be doing any boss fights.. I will never EVER again breed anything for mutations.. tamed dinos only.. I wasted way too much time on that ;)

30 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

I hope that they sort the duping/DDOS ISSUE soon, for those of you that still have healthy servers, and coexist. The issue is not the individual servers though it is the Mega Dupers that now have huge power and pulling 10 extra Giga's for every rollback and are now going from server to server attacking all. This is the reason most people want to leae now to start a fresh on a fair field server. But this will only happen if the issues are sorted!!

I think the statement and process has be a work of "think-tanking genius" from the guys at WC, think about it.

• Looking after New Guys buying disc version - New Servers where legacy servers cannot transfer to - TICK
  • Legacy players wanting fairer playing field - New Servers where legacy servers cannot transfer to - TICK
  • Legacy players not wanting to move - Stay on legacy servers - TICK
  • Not having to deal with duping tribes straight away - Just tell people to go to new cluster - TICK
  • Need to recommission servers in future - well if they don't deal with duping tribes now, eventually they will move from server to server wiping honest players, forcing them to quit game or move to new clusters. Which inturn will make low population servers, which as they have stated will then be wiped and recommission - TICK
  • Deal with Dupers later - well as they will make most servers low population, then they will have no one to wipe and therefore more than likely move to new cluster, bringing about there own downfall and saving WC a host of trouble - TICK

All in All quiet a brilliant way of handling the issues from the last few months. Now the hope is they can sort Duping/DDOS issues that exist and any future problems!!

5 minutes ago, mphelan49 said:

I hope that they sort the duping/DDOS ISSUE soon, for those of you that still have healthy servers, and coexist. The issue is not the individual servers though it is the Mega Dupers that now have huge power and pulling 10 extra Giga's for every rollback and are now going from server to server attacking all. This is the reason most people want to leae now to start a fresh on a fair field server. But this will only happen if the issues are sorted!!

I think the statement and process has be a work of "think-tanking genius" from the guys at WC, think about it.

• Looking after New Guys buying disc version - New Servers where legacy servers cannot transfer to - TICK
  • Legacy players wanting fairer playing field - New Servers where legacy servers cannot transfer to - TICK
  • Legacy players not wanting to move - Stay on legacy servers - TICK
  • Not having to deal with duping tribes straight away - Just tell people to go to new cluster - TICK
  • Need to recommission servers in future - well if they don't deal with duping tribes now, eventually they will move from server to server wiping honest players, forcing them to quit game or move to new clusters. Which inturn will make low population servers, which as they have stated will then be wiped and recommission - TICK
  • Deal with Dupers later - well as they will make most servers low population, then they will have no one to wipe and therefore more than likely move to new cluster, bringing about there own downfall and saving WC a host of trouble - TICK

All in All quiet a brilliant way of handling the issues from the last few months. Now the hope is they can sort Duping/DDOS issues that exist and any future problems!!

It was the best decision for launch. Given a long enough timeline I'm sure this would have been a plan B. It might still be a plan B in the long run. I fully believe now, however that they will concentrate on all the loopholes and issues that brought us here. They know the game is sentenced a slow demise if they don't and us constantly badgering about it won't speed the process. If we all can put that energy into the form of reporting on tribes etc that are proved hacking/exploiting (utube videos etc.) maybe that will help WC more than anything right now. @devs or mods. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

• GP locked this topic

Archived