Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, DeningWei said:

Such a selfless act, tirelessly campaigning for the little guy, the battler, the fresh noob that just bought the game and can't wait to figure out which end of a dino the eggs come out of...  You sir are such a selfless saint.

Anyone that wants a wipe so that they can start a fresh on a level playing field along with everyone else can easily say they are thinking about the "new players", doesn't mean they are really thinking about the new players, it can still be a very selfish act.

Put it this way:

Against Wipe: I don't want to lose all the hard work i've put in over the past 2+ years - Can be seen as a selfish reason, but a clear and concise and honest reason.

For Wipe: I want a fresh start on a level playing field with everyone else on official servers - Can be seen as a selfish reason, but can also be made to appear selfless by claiming they are only thinking about the new players, when they are in fact thinking about themselves.

So there is honestly no selfish or selfless arguments here, everyone has their own agenda.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Vrallox said:

And silence is an answer. If you ask someone a question and they refuse to say anything then why do you think they're remaining silent? Think about all the times that has happened to you. Think about all the times you've done it yourself. Is it because you didn't want to say something the questioner wasn't going to like?

"Son, did you take a cookie from the jar when I expressly forbid you from doing so?"

Silence.

Very poor example you used there.

Lets answer the question both ways....

"Are you going to wipe all official servers on release?"...... "Hell Yes"

"Are you going to wipe all official servers on release?"...... "No Way man, nada"

Both answers will get outrage most likely equal to one another. This means that no matter what answer is given it will be cause a storm.

Therefore, silence is no answer in this matter because they know either answer will result in a bad reaction.

So yeah silence is no answer.

42 minutes ago, GP said:

Anyone that wants a wipe so that they can start a fresh on a level playing field along with everyone else can easily say they are thinking about the "new players", doesn't mean they are really thinking about the new players, it can still be a very selfish act.

Put it this way:

Against Wipe: I don't want to lose all the hard work i've put in over the past 2+ years - Can be seen as a selfish reason, but a clear and concise and honest reason.

For Wipe: I want a fresh start on a level playing field with everyone else on official servers - Can be seen as a selfish reason, but can also be made to appear selfless by claiming they are only thinking about the new players, when they are in fact thinking about themselves.

So there is honestly no selfish or selfless arguments here, everyone has their own agenda.

This is very true I hope you read the rest of my comment lol

3 hours ago, DeningWei said:

Such a selfless act, tirelessly campaigning for the little guy, the battler, the fresh noob that just bought the game and can't wait to figure out which end of a dino the eggs come out of...  You sir are such a selfless saint.

YEAH!!  We gotta save the n00bies from those bad players.  Every noob has a the right to keep his little base and new dinos without being crushed over and over and over again by those nasty big tribes!!

Oh... ahh... well at least your big tribe is going to be saintly and virtuous... the New Players!  Yeah!!  Bigger tribe means more people to protect the noobies from the bad people!

Oh... ok... well maybe they don't get to keep their thatch hut and their trike... but at least they get to look around a bit... new shiny game and all... 60 bucks...

Ahh well I hope the n00bies enjoy their cage simulator.

Very long winded but I went ahead and read the whole thing. Dude you have the right to your opinion and that's all good with me. You might think you know what is going on in my head(which you don't) but there is no reason to be sarcastic like that. 

Once the release happens I will feel bad for everyone, even people like you.

28 minutes ago, Armyshadow2000 said:

i keep hearing this over and over but have not found any proof that they will

Thats because as far as I am aware there is none. All we have is a guarantee that they wont wipe on release from a year ago and more recently I beleive a rumour  (?) one of the devs saying they were still deciding wether or not to wipe ?. Apart from that any other outcome to the question of a wipe is just pure speculation or personal opinion until the devs tell us that a wipe will/will not happen. I just wish they would just  come out and tell us that they will, will not or are still deciding on a wipe rather than keeping us guessing. I personally hope they dont wipe, but thats just my personal opinion 

On 1.7.2017 at 9:16 PM, SmokeyB said:

I meant because you had to leave the server and you couldn't transfer your character so you had to start fresh on a different server with a new character, its an official pvp thing that I can tell you don't play from your other post. 

New players are having fun starting on official pvp servers, the ones that start and have a good time don't make posts complaining, they are busy playing the game, the few posts you see about new players who are too dumb to get started on a server pvp or pve are probably from little kids that's couldn't get started even after a full wipe. 

If a pve server has pillars and it's stopping you building its because your trying to build on important resources or spawns or a heavily used farming spot or outside someone's Base etc go build somewhere else. 

On pvp you are going to get wiped, its part of the game, it doesn't matter if you have a dilo and a trike or 20 gigas you will still get raided and have to rebuild some times if you don't like it don't play pvp. The alphas look like they have a huge advantage and you will never catch up, but they could lose it all over night and then you will have more than them, that's how the game works. A wipe won't help new players, it will probably make them get raided and quit faster and by the time the new player has a ptera and can explore the map there will already be an alpha and some huge bases on the server so it will be the same experience as if they started on a server now. 

So you know for sure that all the people starting on an official PvP server are having fun and staying? 

I don't know but my guess is that you have some kind of romantic gamer view on things. Most people don't start over when they get wiped constantly. Most people don't want to be the "ambush Alpha live in the dark" type of players. Most people change servers or stop playing official if they get wiped constantly. You can easily check at any giving daytime that people playing on official PvP-servers (serverlist offical) are only a tiny fractions off all people currently playing (Steam statistics). 

This whole progression system and the open PvP mechanic is pretty damaging in this state. And no, it isn't clear to anybody that starts the game. Most people wouldn't think of those kind of twisted minded people because they are not like them. Most people don't feel the need to "stomp newbs" just for the sh!t and giggles. And those new players will leave pretty fast and probably will refund as fast if they get roflstomed at every official PvP-server by the Alpha with 10 level 100 charcters in TEK-armor and with a bred level 400 giga. And i highly doubt the devs will let this happen. Simply because new players pay 60$ per copy, old player did pay only 17$.... a very loooooong time ago. And again: it isn't a pay-to-play game where it is important to keep the loyal players in order to make money. 

Yes there is a way to solve that and NOT alienate their customers. We ALL knew it is early access and it is a business standard (even since early access wasn't a thing it there have been Alpha- and Beta- access games) that for release all servers are wiped. So it is not the devs or releaseplayers fault if people "get their feelings hurt" when all progress is wiped at official release. 

Sure old players that lose everything can write negative reviews when they are frustrated. But what should they write? "I am a hardcore nerd, invested 4000 hours into this EARLY ACCESS game and the wiped all my progress at official release... boohoohoo"? That is a POSITIVE for every new player interested in this game at official release. If they wipe all servers and set all chars back to level 1 i will most likely give them credit where credit is due and write a positive review. If they don't.... i don't know man. probably turn my back and never return (except maybe private servers with friends or singleplayer). But i would be really p!ssed is i was a new player and nobody ever warned me about buying this game at full price and never be able to play on official severs. And i bet there will be reviews that will warn new players about the unwiped-server-situation.  

1 hour ago, Ryanmo said:

personally think they should just close this topic. I'm for both options, if they wipe then they wipe I'll build back up fast anyway. if they don't wipe then good I can do what I was doing.

I agree.  All it is is assumptions and it's getting worse as we get closer to release.  What we should really be discussing are the state of the servers so close to launch and don't pull a wipe will fix it because it will be the same laggy thing eventually.  We need to pressure them into improving servers.

4 hours ago, Ryanmo said:

personally think they should just close this topic. I'm for both options, if they wipe then they wipe I'll build back up fast anyway. if they don't wipe then good I can do what I was doing.

There needs to be a wipe thread and if they close it another one will pop up. Probably a lot actually. Nobody is forcing you to come to the thread. If you have something wrong with it then you don't have to be here

2 hours ago, jdizzy2010 said:

I agree.  All it is is assumptions and it's getting worse as we get closer to release.  What we should really be discussing are the state of the servers so close to launch and don't pull a wipe will fix it because it will be the same laggy thing eventually.  We need to pressure them into improving servers.

You are right. It will eventually get laggy again and a wipe won't fix that part. A wipe will get rid of the lag for a time to allow them to work on it. Instead of working on it while it is laggy the whole time.

I highly doubt the lag will change. They would need better hardware. Island has been out how long and the server i play on has constant lag. 

If they wipe there needs to be major improvements. Better hardware and less bugs would be a start.

Even if they offered premium servers that you had to pay to play on i would do that in a heartbeat. I don't mind supporting a company that does what they should.

3 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

You are right. It will eventually get laggy again and a wipe won't fix that part. A wipe will get rid of the lag for a time to allow them to work on it. Instead of working on it while it is laggy the whole time.

They currently are working on it, and it isnt that laggy.  You don't remember the lag of the old days?  The lag was real then.  This is a vast improvement and its only getting better.  And what better way to work on it than with servers under normal load.  Wiping servers to reduce lag is nonsense.  Go check out a Ragnarok map.  You can't tell me the lag is better there now, its the same, if not worse due to the crowding.

9 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

They currently are working on it, and it isnt that laggy.  You don't remember the lag of the old days?  The lag was real then.  This is a vast improvement and its only getting better.  And what better way to work on it than with servers under normal load.  Wiping servers to reduce lag is nonsense.  Go check out a Ragnarok map.  You can't tell me the lag is better there now, its the same, if not worse due to the crowding.

On console so I can't check out rag. And for co soles no it hasn't been getting better, it's gotten worse

57 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

On console so I can't check out rag. And for co soles no it hasn't been getting better, it's gotten worse

Perhaps it is the performance issues they are experiencing as the try to increase the quality of the graphics for the consoles?  I know that on PC lag and frame rate used to be shocking.  10-25 fps with 10 second freezes every 15 minutes.  Now lag is barely noticeable in comparison and frame rates have more than doubled.

1 hour ago, Volcano637 said:

Perhaps it is the performance issues they are experiencing as the try to increase the quality of the graphics for the consoles?  I know that on PC lag and frame rate used to be shocking.  10-25 fps with 10 second freezes every 15 minutes.  Now lag is barely noticeable in comparison and frame rates have more than doubled.

On 7/2/2017 at 1:04 PM, GP said:

Very poor example you used there.

Lets answer the question both ways....

"Are you going to wipe all official servers on release?"...... "Hell Yes"

"Are you going to wipe all official servers on release?"...... "No Way man, nada"

Both answers will get outrage most likely equal to one another. This means that no matter what answer is given it will be cause a storm.

Therefore, silence is no answer in this matter because they know either answer will result in a bad reaction.

So yeah silence is no answer.

I don't know. People don't seem to like change. The flyer nerf wasn't that bad, certainly sped up how fast I can farm metal once I stopped using a quetzal, and yet people went ballistic. Overall Steam reviews went from mostly positive to mixed. Status quo kind of looks like it'd be met with a significantly less angry response.

On 7/2/2017 at 4:24 PM, AngrySaltire said:

Thats because as far as I am aware there is none. All we have is a guarantee that they wont wipe on release from a year ago and more recently I beleive a rumour  (?) one of the devs saying they were still deciding wether or not to wipe ?. Apart from that any other outcome to the question of a wipe is just pure speculation or personal opinion until the devs tell us that a wipe will/will not happen. I just wish they would just  come out and tell us that they will, will not or are still deciding on a wipe rather than keeping us guessing. I personally hope they dont wipe, but thats just my personal opinion 

Ya know I just realized that maybe when they said that official statement would be their final word on the matter that that may be the reason they haven't given us a more recent stance on whether they're going to wipe or not because that was actually their final word on the matter. Who knows? Maybe they're a lot more respectable and trustworthy than we think. :D

My money is still on a wipe though. Hehe.

1 hour ago, DeningWei said:

That must be nice because we are still experiencing tons of lag and rubberbanding. Granted the server is congested with poop which I am sure is contributing to it, but yeah I am sure it is also probably them trying to make it better. 

On 2-7-2017 at 5:05 PM, DeningWei said:

Well I won't even use my own that I keep bringing up... i'll point out another set of good pros and cons you might have missed.

All these pros are things I never said. My main reason is wiping after they fixed all the glitches and exploits to get rid of items obtained in illegit ways or ways that are no longer available. Mega bases farmed by infinite weight exploits. Armies of dinos bred by using the floating exploit, duped items and dinos, etc etc.

The biggest con will be not wiping, releasing a game filled to the brim with filth and toxicity and then WC goinf bankrupt because review mags and sites destroy them.

16 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

All these pros are things I never said. My main reason is wiping after they fixed all the glitches and exploits to get rid of items obtained in illegit ways or ways that are no longer available. Mega bases farmed by infinite weight exploits. Armies of dinos bred by using the floating exploit, duped items and dinos, etc etc.

The biggest con will be not wiping, releasing a game filled to the brim with filth and toxicity and then WC goinf bankrupt because review mags and sites destroy them.

Ahh lol they won't be going bankrupt anytime soon... even when the anti DLC hipster crowd brought their reviews down to negative they were still selling the game like hotcakes.  The big money will be selling DLC to the established playerbase as well.  And breeding is actually easier now that with the floating exploit in my opinion with all the multipliers.  As for the other stuff, as they fix each exploit the issues slowly work their way out of the system.  You make it sound like there never will be any exploits ever again after release.

43 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

Ahh lol they won't be going bankrupt anytime soon... even when the anti DLC hipster crowd brought their reviews down to negative they were still selling the game like hotcakes.  The big money will be selling DLC to the established playerbase as well.  And breeding is actually easier now that with the floating exploit in my opinion with all the multipliers.  As for the other stuff, as they fix each exploit the issues slowly work their way out of the system.  You make it sound like there never will be any exploits ever again after release.

Thats the goal isnt it? If you dont aim to fix everything you might aswell never optimise. 

There is a big difference between player reviews on steam and professional reviews in magazines, shows. If you dont get over 8.5/10 your game will be dead in 3 months. There is no way WC can justify keeping 'cheated' or overpowered items in the game. 

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived