Mindwipe tonic can now only be applied once per level up.

Sphere

2 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

Dude what? In just about every stat building game out there, everyone's always looking for a "best build evar" guide which they could emulate. That's people fairly factually going out of their way to lock themselves into a single build.

And from my experience developers constantly try to balance skills/talents/stats to avoid cookie cutter builds and try to add some variety to their games. Over the 16 years I've been playing MMOs the cost of respeccing your character as been reduced/removed from the majority of them.

Freedom of choice is always a better option over forcing your players into making decisions they may later regret.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, Sphere said:

But do they stay in those builds forever? No.

They kinda do actually. Heck, Marvel Heroes, which is one such game that offers power resets so that people could be creative with their builds, only ever got people to budge off of their "best ttk build ever" builds by retooling their skill system entirely with their BUE update.

This needs to be a 24h cooldown or even 7 days if it must, but not once per level.

Otherwise I'm just going to start parking high level characters on various servers, rolling a new one to spec in different stats, add them all to my tribe and shuffle characters between my main server for the appropriate task.

That means I'm going to need a 1x1x1 metal hut and bed near an obelisk on each server so I can rapidly transfer.  It'll be annoying, but no more annoying than not being able to mindwipe anymore at max level.

I don't get the change really tho you can work around this way to eazy. 

I get why they are trying to but I mean ..

We can just make a new new character in power level have multiple accounts have multiple characters I just don't think it's going to accomplish what they wanted it to

This change changes nothing

It wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to unclaim buildings.  So once you reach max, if you want to respec you can unclaim everything, overwrite your survivor, reclaim.  Sure you'd have to level up again, but with the high-level dinos you'd have at your disposal that wouldn't be too hard.

Or are they planning on giving a free mindwipe every time you ascend.  Could make sense otherwise why would you need to ascend more than once.

2 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

They kinda do actually. Heck, Marvel Heroes, which is one such game that offers power resets so that people could be creative with their builds, only ever got people to budge off of their "best ttk build ever" builds by retooling their skill system entirely with their BUE update.

most MMOs also provide a cash way to respec. ARK has no microtransactions, so we have to craft this stuff. then they limit the use to 1 per level? This is NOT a good change by ANY stretch of the imagination

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Zederia said:

most MMOs also provide a cash way to respec. ARK has no microtransactions, so we have to craft this stuff. then they limit the use to 1 per level? This is NOT a good change by ANY stretch of the imagination

I fail to see how pointing out how MMOs do it in any way demonizes how ARK limits it. Those MMOs, like you said, offer the respecs through the cash shop, which makes the limiting factor how much of your money you're willing to part with. With ARK, it's all farmed, all crafted. your limiting factor is how much time you can put into the game, but the ingredients needed to craft them are so abundant that you can most likely make more mind wipe tonics in an hour than the amount of cash shop respecs you can buy with an hours worth of wages.

2 minutes ago, TracerBee said:

This is rather stupid. Considering the fact the a player alone cant have all the engrams for one.

A player alone was never and has never been meant to have all the engrams. That's what blueprints and working with tribes has been for. ARK's always gone with the underlying theme of "many hands make work light".

Just forces us to make alts and upload/download them when needed, if they made it a cooldown, or made it so we got an extra mindwipe charge when we ascend then it wouldnt be so bad, I think for most its just the finality of it, people like to have an option to know if they made a mistake, they have an option to change it, even if they have to wait or spend crazy resources.

I personally like the idea of having a class of sorts, now it gives reason for tribes to have a builder or other specific rolls, it just would be nice to allow us to respec once and awhile if needed.

I'm really curious to see if it is a "charge" based system where as a level 100, do i get 100 respecs, or just one, if i get 100 the whole nerf seems kinda pointless.

1 minute ago, ciabattaroll said:

I fail to see how pointing out how MMOs do it in any way demonizes how ARK limits it. Those MMOs, like you said, offer the respecs through the cash shop, which makes the limiting factor how much of your money you're willing to part with. With ARK, it's all farmed, all crafted. your limiting factor is how much time you can put into the game, but the ingredients needed to craft them are so abundant that you can most likely make more mind wipe tonics in an hour than the amount of cash shop respecs you can buy with an hours worth of wages.

A player alone was never and has never been meant to have all the engrams. That's what blueprints and working with tribes has been for. ARK's always gone with the underlying theme of "many hands make work light".

Why the restriction in the first place. Freedom is the basic concept of ARK here, you get stranded on an island and you get to do whatever you want.

As for tribes, some players prefer being solo, the developers need to be perspective before implementing these changes.

Been playing for 2 years now, i was ok with nerfs before but this and the flyer nerf? Totally pointless.

1 minute ago, ciabattaroll said:

I fail to see how pointing out how MMOs do it in any way demonizes how ARK limits it. Those MMOs, like you said, offer the respecs through the cash shop, which makes the limiting factor how much of your money you're willing to part with. With ARK, it's all farmed, all crafted.

There is a chinese game (which I won't name, so don't ask, but it does exist) That has both a P2P and F2P version. the F2P uses an item in the shop. the P2P lets you craft the item. They don't limit it on the P2P servers either.

And if the problem is "it's too easy" then they need to come up with another recipe for it, instead of screwing everyone over by limiting it to 1 per level.

1 minute ago, staggerlee45 said:

How about a xp debt after each mindwipe that stacks? This could be done by either reducing the amount of xp earned by a % for x amount of time after each mindwipe or could actually reduce your overall xp, effectively setting back progress every time one is consumed. 

Problem with that is its already super easy to gain experence, and if its just a XP penalty it does nothing to the players already at max level.

1 minute ago, Zederia said:

There is a chinese game (which I won't name, so don't ask, but it does exist) That has both a P2P and F2P version. the F2P uses an item in the shop. the P2P lets you craft the item. They don't limit it on the P2P servers either.

And if the problem is "it's too easy" then they need to come up with another recipe for it, instead of screwing everyone over by limiting it to 1 per level.

Or just let it be like RUST, no levels, can craft everything. Absolute freedom.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, TracerBee said:

you get stranded on an island and you get to do whatever you want.

Within the constraint of parameters set by the game developers/modders. I mean, you're not running around killing people by assaulting them with a toilet that shoots golden sharks, are you?

27 minutes ago, Grantykinss said:

If you're looking it at it from the perspective of a new survivor on release, yeah the changes may be okay because they have 100 (+15 w/ ascension) chances to learn the game, learn a playstyle and adapt and mess around with stats, so you'll know how each stat feels and improves on your character by the time you're max level. However, currently people are already max level and without a wipe, they're stuck with the choices they have made; 1 reset isn't allowing them much freedom in the way they play, they have to pick a role and stick with it forever once they're max level. Are you also considering that people aren't always in large tribes, solo players don't have the engram points to learn everything so they need to change their stats every now and then to be able to farm, and take on the bosses and learn new engrams. I haven't forgot that the game is in EA but it's unfair to limit the max levels when they've been playing the game for 2 years and have to change their playstyles because of situations that are beyond them.

This game isnt meant for solo players to begin with, If you decide to play solo you should bear the consequences and accept you will be at a huge disadvantage.

6 minutes ago, staggerlee45 said:

How about a xp debt after each mindwipe that stacks? This could be done by either reducing the amount of xp earned by a % for x amount of time after each mindwipe or could actually reduce your overall xp, effectively setting back progress every time one is consumed. 

Keep the mindwipe limit and also incorporate this... oh the salt.

5 minutes ago, TracerBee said:

but this and the flyer nerf? Totally pointless.

credibility gone.

22 minutes ago, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

"Oriented" vs. "Locked"
"Oriented" vs. "Mandatory"
"Oriented" vs. "Forced"

Giving tribes advantages does in no way mean they have to take those away from players who prefer smaller groups and solo play.

Mindwipe was the perfect balance between large vs. solo tribes.

I dont get the first part of your post but if you've watched ARK evolve over the last 2 years and whatched the videos you'd see you're supposed to group up, divide work and through teamwork achieve things. Whats the purpose of having a a builder when everyone can be one whenever they want it? There are maybe 3-4 different spec paths in ARK (im talking general spec paths). You wont need a huge tribe to fill all the roles.

1 minute ago, Zederia said:

when you ascend you level again. so that's 5-15 more times

I think the point is for people at max level, so max level would be after they've already Alpha ascended.

1 minute ago, BobRoss said:

This game isnt meant for solo players to begin with, If you decide to play solo you should bear the consequences and accept you will be at a huge disadvantage.

I have to disagree with that statement.  If its not meant for solo play there wouldn't be a single player mode at all.  Sure it might be geared toward Tribe play, heavily so even. But to say "it's not meant for solo players I don't see as being accurate.

Archived