Changes to Pillar Structure Decay!

Jatheish

Unfortunately there will always be people who claim land in one way or another. As soon as one method is taken away, people will adapt to the next best thing. Creating non building zones might be ideal for sure... But I feel like many people grab land mostly to keep others away. I was in a tribe in which the leader said that very thing. He wasn't necessarily intending to use the land he was grabbing, he just wanted to ensure that no new players were able to build anywhere near him. I think it's just the nature of this game that people want to be a little on the greedy side and take for themselves whilst trying to keep others at bay, which mostly just harms the beauty of the scenery... 

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Xerawyn said:

Unfortunately there will always be people who claim land in one way or another. As soon as one method is taken away, people will adapt to the next best thing. Creating non building zones might be ideal for sure... But I feel like many people grab land mostly to keep others away. I was in a tribe in which the leader said that very thing. He wasn't necessarily intending to use the land he was grabbing, he just wanted to ensure that no new players were able to build anywhere near him. I think it's just the nature of this game that people want to be a little on the greedy side and take for themselves whilst trying to keep others at bay, which mostly just harms the beauty of the scenery... 

Building so that a player protects his draw distance from the outter edge of his defense walls is normal and expected. There needs to be a buffer between bases or it can devolve into border friction quickly.

Some tribes use pillars to prevent griefing by other tribes. We have a player on our server that owns 1/5th of the Island map located in the southeast corner near herbi island. He puts down foundation+pillar and expands it as land is freed up for claiming - effectively making the area a dino spawn deadzone.

This is what we have to deal with on PVE. Deal with it.

8 hours ago, Zed38 said:

Building so that a player protects his draw distance from the outter edge of his defense walls is normal and expected. There needs to be a buffer between bases or it can devolve into border friction quickly.

Some tribes use pillars to prevent griefing by other tribes. We have a player on our server that owns 1/5th of the Island map located in the southeast corner near herbi island. He puts down foundation+pillar and expands it as land is freed up for claiming - effectively making the area a dino spawn deadzone.

This is what we have to deal with on PVE. Deal with it.

Whoa there, Zed - I'm not complaining, necessarily, I'm just discussing the facts in a civilized manner. No need to get confrontational by tacking on the condescending "deal with it" at the end of your statement lol
If you don't appreciate people discussing this subject matter and don't want to communicate respectfully, find another post that more adequately fits your beliefs.
I understand why some people do what they do. The tribe leader I mentioned in my initial post wasn't interested in that, he just legitimately hated newbies and didn't want to let them settle near him. It doesn't change my opinion that the act is unattractive, but nowhere in my initial post did I say it was some kind of outrage or that I believed people's pillars should be removed or something. I responded to some particular ideas that I've read which others brought up from this post. I don't disagree with your points at all, and I do deal with it, I'm just joining the discussion with all the other players who are discussing possible solutions.

I have this small base that's elevated slightly with a nice tall rock wall behind it.  I didn't need to put foundations and walls because nothing could actually get up that high, but to be safe I used spike walls around the edge of the base.  I had a few double pillars set up around to prevent people from blocking me in, but when those were demo'd some idiot tribe came in and planted a pillar/ceiling forest around my base.  They're so close to me that I can't even build inside my area now.

I've asked them a few times to remove some, but I get no replies.  Anyone have other suggestions?

The pillars are both a solution to a problem and a problem in need of a solution.

The game desperately needs a sane land claiming system.

Either limit the number of structures, area claimed, per person/tribe/level or

have a steep penalty to pay if going over some soft limits.

There have been countless threads started on this forum pointing the issue.

A band aid type solution will not work here. Limit timer to pillars leads to double stacked pillars.

Limit timer to double stacked pillars leads to pillars with ladders.

Quoting some smart guy:  'We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them '.

5 hours ago, johnm said:

The pillars are both a solution to a problem and a problem in need of a solution.

The game desperately needs a sane land claiming system.

Either limit the number of structures, area claimed, per person/tribe/level or

have a steep penalty to pay if going over some soft limits.

There have been countless threads started on this forum pointing the issue.

A band aid type solution will not work here. Limit timer to pillars leads to double stacked pillars.

Limit timer to double stacked pillars leads to pillars with ladders.

Quoting some smart guy:  'We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them '.

Wildcard only need to do two things.

1) Increase the space/distance that another player can build to another player. One of the biggest issues is people who do build in rendering distance or just a little out, are causing major issues for those who just are plotting along. And in in a lot of cases, causing that player to crash often as large tribes quash you in.

2) Major resource areas are not buildable, or just about any place where large deposits of resources are.

On Xbox (I don't know about PS4) but larger building structures are the major cause of server issues and rendering crashes. Wildcard has down well to fix the majority of this, but they have done nothing to stop large tribes building so close forcing serious performance issues on the server and the client.

38 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Wildcard only need to do two things.

1) Increase the space/distance that another player can build to another player. One of the biggest issues is people who do build in rendering distance or just a little out, are causing major issues for those who just are plotting along. And in in a lot of cases, causing that player to crash often as large tribes quash you in.

2) Major resource areas are not buildable, or just about any place where large deposits of resources are.

On Xbox (I don't know about PS4) but larger building structures are the major cause of server issues and rendering crashes. Wildcard has down well to fix the majority of this, but they have done nothing to stop large tribes building so close forcing serious performance issues on the server and the client.

They do have a structure build limit. It is designed to do what you want, which is to limit how much stuff can be built in render distance of each other. Strangely, many people complain when they hit the build limit and think they should be able to build even more stuff in that location. They don't see to care that if they do, they will create some much lag on the server that it could crash like you say above. WC is doing a strange balancing act because of people wanting huge bases. They try and set the build limit at just below the threshold where the game becomes non-functional, otherwise some players complain loudly.

4 minutes ago, wildbill said:

They do have a structure build limit. It is designed to do what you want, which is to limit how much stuff can be built in render distance of each other. Strangely, many people complain when they hit the build limit and think they should be able to build even more stuff in that location. They don't see to care that if they do, they will create some much lag on the server that it could crash like you say above. WC is doing a strange balancing act because of people wanting huge bases. They try and set the build limit at just below the threshold where the game becomes non-functional, otherwise some players complain loudly.

That is not what I am talking about, that doesn't take into consideration 4 tribes around you building big at all.

On 7/5/2017 at 11:43 PM, CyberAngel67 said:

You don't need to explain to me how software development works, I have done that for 35 years and now very well that certain things can go undetected. But for go sake, this last major update has things that their QA should have picked up. It feels like they rushed it, it looks like they rushed it. In other words if walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.

I am not sure what this is suppose to mean, we are 4 weeks from release it is meant to be getting polished, not making it worse by rushing it out the door.

I am thinking it will get pushed back if they don't fix the graphics issue....

• 3 weeks later...

So, ya.

Playing on Ps4 Pve.
Had no clue about this whole pillar wipe thing.

Built fences out of pillars. Had all my collector dinos that I use on a regular basis locked up within my beautiful pillar fence. Then logged in to find the fence gone and all my dinos running loose.

Plus my other builds using pillars are gone as well.

I don't see why when I build with single pillars that it should be removed. Maybe have them detect dinos nearby or bases.

Because, after all, maybe I want to pen in my dinos without locking out spawns.

• 1 month later...

Now people just add ladders to their pillars. You can change that but people will just find a way around it, blocking spawns if necessary.

The problem is that the only way to claim land to prevent getting boxed in on a PvE server is to pillar it off. This isn't a greed issue. Anyone who has had people build gigantic bases next to them blocking them in understands the need to pillar a decent amount of space around them off to prevent that.

If you want to stop pillaring, you need to:
-protect resource spawns from building
-Protect people's bases from being built next to.

Otherwise, changing the mechanics of what people use to pillar to achieve that will just be a rotating shell game.

The issue is that game mechanics require a certain amount of land claiming to take place. If you want to stop that, you have to rework the mechanics that require that behavior.

2 hours ago, Jaric said:

Now people just add ladders to their pillars. You can change that but people will just find a way around it, blocking spawns if necessary.

The problem is that the only way to claim land to prevent getting boxed in on a PvE server is to pillar it off. This isn't a greed issue. Anyone who has had people build gigantic bases next to them blocking them in understands the need to pillar a decent amount of space around them off to prevent that.

If you want to stop pillaring, you need to:
-protect resource spawns from building
-Protect people's bases from being built next to.

Otherwise, changing the mechanics of what people use to pillar to achieve that will just be a rotating shell game.

The issue is that game mechanics require a certain amount of land claiming to take place. If you want to stop that, you have to rework the mechanics that require that behavior.

Your post falls on blind eyes around here, we have been telling wildcard for more than two years the most sane reasonable system would be a claim block sytem but instead we got two terrible bandaid fixes that only had a temporary fix (solo foundation nerf then the pillar only nerf)  still resulting in people pillar/ceiling entire landscapes, pillar laddering or worse behemoth gate spamming the countryside (for consoles, less structures to push their limit with the most coverage). Sadly even if they did do that people would just cercumvent it with extra accounts and alliances instead, still pound for pound a claim block system would do the most overall good in PVE.

On 9/21/2017 at 11:50 AM, Dracul said:

still pound for pound a claim block system would do the most overall good in PVE.

This still does not fix it at all, folks would just claim more blocks, the same result just no pillars etc. Large areas reserved that no one else can build on, even worse if someone is enterprising enough and makes enough family accounts they could grab up all of a map.

Some devs do care a really good dev is Dev fury he sees the problem we are having on Ragnarock right now with some tribes and due to him fixing some of the issues some of the tribes placing hundreds of  pillers now have stopped there is still along way to go, other devs wont name them because worried what they will do just dont care.  Its sad when you file a report and the response is copied and pasted Yes resource spawns are getting ruined people are placing foundations down this needs to be fixed. yes some tribes place pillers to protect the lands and resources other tribes which we still have some place just because they are greedy. One tribe right now has over 300 pillers placed on land have blocked players in by walls and nothing has been done. What makes this ironic is they state players are happy and support the game but when truth is if they listened to the players who have put thousands of hours in the game the game could be so much better. get rid of the land barons the cheaters the ones who enjoy cheating dont just copy and paste and bs the people playing.  If you can stop people from building where a beacon lands you can easily make it around resource nodes. lastly get more people like dev fury who actually cares other devs and one who starts with r should find a new job since he doesnt care what happens with the players . Ark is a great but has potential to be amazing game if the devs just gave a poop and some should play the game before they fix issues or make new issues, Trading is ruined now takes 7.5 hours with 600 weight to move 10k. Huge trading is no gone .

Players are still claiming unreasonable large amounts of land and are not using the land to build. If they are not using pillars + ladders they are placing a pillar on a fence foundation or placing a foundation with a wall. 

On PVE SE 87 a Chinese tribe has claimed all of red obelisk just to build a junk base that doesn't even take up a 1/4 of the land they took just for raising wyverns to sell.... We have asked nicely if they could remove their pillars so other players can build by the obelisk but they refuse. It's pure greed and trolling.

On 10/07/2017 at 9:58 AM, Xerawyn said:

Whoa there, Zed - I'm not complaining, necessarily, I'm just discussing the facts in a civilized manner. No need to get confrontational by tacking on the condescending "deal with it" at the end of your statement lol
If you don't appreciate people discussing this subject matter and don't want to communicate respectfully, find another post that more adequately fits your beliefs.
I understand why some people do what they do. The tribe leader I mentioned in my initial post wasn't interested in that, he just legitimately hated newbies and didn't want to let them settle near him. It doesn't change my opinion that the act is unattractive, but nowhere in my initial post did I say it was some kind of outrage or that I believed people's pillars should be removed or something. I responded to some particular ideas that I've read which others brought up from this post. I don't disagree with your points at all, and I do deal with it, I'm just joining the discussion with all the other players who are discussing possible solutions.

You think he's getting confrontational? I believe you're one of those people who sit in their little safe bubble their whole life! He's made a prestigious good point to be fair. No matter how much anyone argues ect there is nothing that will change how the game works. So to quote him... Deal with it. Use the land you have, claim as much as you can or just move to non-dedicated or single player! :-)

Archived