Liopleurodon - dossier vs reality

Voidstar

@Jat@Jen

-The Dossier

Liopleurodon Magicus is a mid-sized ocean predator. Typically between 20 and 25 feet long, it mostly hides within the reefs, waiting to ambush prey that swims by. Due to its low acceleration and medium speed, Liopleurodon tends not to chase prey that escape its initial devastating chomp attack.

Domesticated

Neither the fastest swimmer, nor the most powerful ocean predator, Liopleurodon still has its uses for those wanting to stay underwater for extended periods of time. Many tribes use Liopleurodon for long duration oil-and-oyster harvesting trips. Often, those who don't believe in the Liopleurodons' qualities are shunned.

Known Information

The species on the island almost seem to be magical. The reptile's skin secretes an oil that, when absorbed through the skin contact makes the rider process oxygen more efficiently for extreme diving. When trawling the ocean for resources, Liopleurodon will show you the way.

-Reality

• Prefers Giant Bee Honey to tame.
  • The Liopleurodon is a temporary tame that lasts 30 minutes.
  • The Liopleurodon buffs underwater loot crates, providing the player with even better loot than is possible without it's special powers.
  • At the end of the 30 minutes, the Liopleurodon disappears.
  • No saddle is required to ride this creature. 

Please change the Liopleurodon in such way that he doesn t dissapear after 30 minutes. It s hell of a nice and cool dino and It s really a shame to have him vanish after 30 minutes [not to mention he is rare]

Suggestions: -Make his Magical Buff have a cooldown of 24-48h, and still last 30 minutes [or less because you can go with him to the crate, then use his buff].

-OR Make his buff cost something to be enabled, like a special very rare item or rare gem or whatever. you get the idea. You could remove the 24-48h cd in this case if the item is very rare.

-Create a saddle for him

-Make him harvest something better, like sillica pearls or whatever

It is understandable why the Titanosaur is a temporary tame, but it makes absolutely no sense for the Liopleurodon to be a temporary tame too.

55 minutes ago, Voidstar said:

@clumsynynjaI think it s a waste of content to ahve the dino like this. Of course I know how it can be abused, taht s why I offered the solutions

You did not. 

There is not 'waste of content'. You get the dino briefly, you get what it offers briefly- if you get lucky enough to find it again, you get what it offers again. Just because you can't get the extra-special loot ALL THE TIME doesn't make it a 'waste'.  Quite frankly, you sound spoiled and entitled. 

2 minutes ago, clumsynynja said:

You did not. 

There is not 'waste of content'. You get the dino briefly, you get what it offers briefly- if you get lucky enough to find it again, you get what it offers again. Just because you can't get the extra-special loot ALL THE TIME doesn't make it a 'waste'.  Quite frankly, you sound spoiled and entitled. 

I swear you can t even dodoing read.

I ll teach you, no worries.

Please change the Liopleurodon in such way that he doesn t dissapear after 30 minutes. It s hell of a nice and cool dino and It s really a shame to have him vanish after 30 minutes [not to mention he is rare]

Suggestions: -Make his Magical Buff have a cooldown of 24-48h, and still last 30 minutes [or less because you can go with him to the crate, then use his buff].

-OR Make his buff cost something to be enabled, like a special very rare item or rare gem or whatever. you get the idea. You could remove the 24-48h cd in this case if the item is very rare.

-Create a saddle for him

It is understandable why the Titanosaur is a temporary tame, but it makes absolutely no sense for the Liopleurodon to be a temporary tame too.

My original post. Now we will READ IT and ANALYSE IT piece by piece.

"change ..in such way ...doesn t dissapear after 30 minutes"  If I wanted to have the current dinosaur with his features last more than 30 minutes, the sentence [and whole post] would be like: please make the liopleurodon last forever.

Here we have some suggestions for how to change the Lipleurodon so that he lasts forever after tamed. First suggestions states that he should have a cooldown of 24-48h to use his "magical buff" which OBVIOUSLY means his loot-boost ability. Furthermore, this buff should still last for 30 minutes so basically you could use the buff for the same duration every 1 or two days, keeping the tame. After I also added that the duration of the magical buff, could last in this situation, even less than 30 minutes, because having the tame already, you can go to the crate, use the buff and get the loot, without wasting the active time of the buff on searching the crate. Another adjustment to balance the fact that lipleurodon should be a non-temporary tame.

Here, there is another suggestion on how to balance the ability of the lipleurodon upon having him tamed forever. It states that his magical buff could be activated any time, but only if a specific VERY RARE item is in its possesion. So the buff would still last 30 minutes or less, but it won t have a 1-2 days cooldown, it could be used anytime if the VERY RARE item is in its inventory.

-Create a saddle for him

If the lipleurodon is a non-temporary tame, and can use his buff rarely [1-2 days] or very rarely [very rare item] in order to be balanced and useful he should have another abilty: harvest sillica pearls at a higher rate for example, or another material

Conclusion: You need to learn to read, until then get off the internet please. do us all a favor. I NEVER said the loot-boosting buff should last FOREVER, I said we should have the Lipleurodon as a non-temporary tame, and as consequence, his loot-boosting buff needs to be accordingly adjusted so that it is not overpowered and abused, and I offered some suggestion on how to do this.

quite frankly, you either did not read the post, or you were unable to read it. cheers

18 minutes ago, clumsynynja said:

You did not. 

He actually did propose a few solutions, and no where did he indicate that he wanted extra loot all the time. I'm inclined to agree with him, though. On the whole, the idea of tames that can only be kept temporarily is a rather poor design choice, in my opinion. It'd be different if there was an "Alpha Lio" that could be temporarily tamed for the buff while the regular Lio didn't provide that ability, but when you implement a unique tame and then say that you only keep it for XXX amount of time, that's quite frustrating because there are a lot of people who really just want to tame that creature to tame that creature, or who wanted some other unique mechanics out of the creature that were instead handed to something else.

The Titan was kind of like this, though the hardware restraints of multiple people having Titans and the pure power of the creature made it a little more reasonable to argue it as a temporary tame. The Lio, though, is a case of a creature that is restricted to a temporary tame when the underlying mechanic can be addressed in other ways without obligating people to give up their tame after 30 minutes. That's the complaint here, not that OP, or I, or really most other people that are less-than-pleased by the Liopleurodon want phat lootzidoodles all the time

I swear you can t even dodoing read.

Fam, just relax. This guy likes to derail threads, and if we start throwing fighting words, it only gives him what he wants. You got a good point going with this thread here, don't let him bait you.

1 minute ago, PuffyPony said:

He actually did propose a few solutions, and no where did he indicate that he wanted extra loot all the time. I'm inclined to agree with him, though. On the whole, the idea of tames that can only be kept temporarily is a rather poor design choice, in my opinion. It'd be different if there was an "Alpha Lio" that could be temporarily tamed for the buff while the regular Lio didn't provide that ability, but when you implement a unique tame and then say that you only keep it for XXX amount of time, that's quite frustrating because there are a lot of people who really just want to tame that creature to tame that creature, or who wanted some other unique mechanics out of the creature that were instead handed to something else.

The Titan was kind of like this, though the hardware restraints of multiple people having Titans and the pure power of the creature made it a little more reasonable to argue it as a temporary tame. The Lio, though, is a case of a creature that is restricted to a temporary tame when the underlying mechanic can be addressed in other ways without obligating people to give up their tame after 30 minutes. That's the complaint here, not that OP, or I, or really most other people that are less-than-pleased by the Liopleurodon want phat lootzidoodles all the time

We can t argue about the temporary taming of Titanosaur...as you said the lag would kill you before the titanosaur does.

As for the alpha lipleurodon idea, it s really awesome and a good solution. it should be exaclt as the current lipleurodon [the "normal" lipleurodon would need another abilty to compensate]

Just now, Voidstar said:

We can t argue about the temporary taming of Titanosaur...as you said the lag would kill you before the titanosaur does.

As for the alpha lipleurodon idea, it s really awesome and a good solution. it should be exaclt as the current lipleurodon [the "normal" lipleurodon would need another abilty to compensate]

Right. To me, a really good idea for the normal Liopleurodon would be essentially a "resource scanner." That still fits in with it's "magical" abilities just fine, and if you still want to lend it an O2 buff, you probably can say that you only use O2 half as quickly while on its back (so the Diplocaulus is still far superior). Then, you can "level" its ability to locate certain resources, so if you want a tame to help you find Silica Pearls, then just max out its Silica Pearl stat, and it'll be able to highlight them for you from a longer range. Using this design, I'd let it find Silica Pearls, Oil Nodes, Loot Drops (but at a greatly reduced range compared to the other two), and maybe some creatures like Eurypterid and Ammonites. You'd still need another creature for maximal harvesting and haulage, but the Liopleurodon will, quoth the dossier, "show you the way."

Then, for the Loot Buff, you could take a few different routes. I personally like the idea of hunting down wild Liopleurodon and KO'ing them for Magical Oils in their inventory, which causes them to disappear once claimed. Basically, you have to choose between the tame and the item buff. The obvious compensation is that the Liopleurodon would need to be quite rare (as it already is, I believe), and you could put a pretty short spoil time on the Magical Oil so that people don't just hoard it.

9 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

Right. To me, a really good idea for the normal Liopleurodon would be essentially a "resource scanner." That still fits in with it's "magical" abilities just fine, and if you still want to lend it an O2 buff, you probably can say that you only use O2 half as quickly while on its back (so the Diplocaulus is still far superior). Then, you can "level" its ability to locate certain resources, so if you want a tame to help you find Silica Pearls, then just max out its Silica Pearl stat, and it'll be able to highlight them for you from a longer range. Using this design, I'd let it find Silica Pearls, Oil Nodes, Loot Drops (but at a greatly reduced range compared to the other two), and maybe some creatures like Eurypterid and Ammonites. You'd still need another creature for maximal harvesting and haulage, but the Liopleurodon will, quoth the dossier, "show you the way."

Then, for the Loot Buff, you could take a few different routes. I personally like the idea of hunting down wild Liopleurodon and KO'ing them for Magical Oils in their inventory, which causes them to disappear once claimed. Basically, you have to choose between the tame and the item buff. The obvious compensation is that the Liopleurodon would need to be quite rare (as it already is, I believe), and you could put a pretty short spoil time on the Magical Oil so that people don't just hoard it.

This could work too. Let s hope the devs are not definitive on the lipleurodon matter

I can't understand why we think all Dinos should be tameable, and if you make them tameable then you have to make them rideable. I think that having Dinos that have different features makes them distinctly different and make them appeal to other people. I personally enjoy seeing Dinos like this being released, and in the future I hope they add even more Dinos that are not very useful. I feel that ark appeals to many survivors who don't make the cut, and I think there should be some Dinos that follow the same. This is clearly a very overpowered Dino that should need to be difficult to use. I think that this just adds another level of challenge that will cause people to learn to adapt to survive or never reach alpha status. Getting good things require work and a guarantee good crate or two is already going to be a game changer for tribes that work well together. One or two scouting crates while another one or two tame. Making is seem like only tribes with more than one member will be unable to take full advantage of the limited time which also sounds good. I have spent over an hour trying to push a salmon into my tribe mates bait, but when you catch that 2.0 it makes it all worth it. The excitement along with knowing it expires causes a level of excitement and anxiety that is hard to get out of games that have nothing that is challenging.

1 hour ago, Bedrock006 said:

I can't understand why we think all Dinos should be tameable, and if you make them tameable then you have to make them rideable.

If we wanted that , we would all be playing on the no-tame servers. I know not everyone plays the game for the same or the same way but I think to find another person thats more out of touch with the rest of the playerbase I would have to turn to wildcard's staff.

2 hours ago, Dracul said:

If we wanted that , we would all be playing on the no-tame servers. I know not everyone plays the game for the same or the same way but I think to find another person thats more out of touch with the rest of the playerbase I would have to turn to wildcard's staff.

Ohh you're sooo clever thanks for the feedback and absolutely no understanding what I even implied you can't tame the insects or the jellyfish or ammonytes but they play a role in the game as did many creatures that you don't even know existed. History is a twisted path of species that thrived and ones that didn't do that well. you are out of touch with being open to anything that isn't your opinion. I don't care what someone as limited as you thinks keep reading without needing to try and mock what I think. I didnt say no games I said not everything is tameable that's why we have wild animals, but hey keep thinking your soooo clever.

I don't really understand why it needs to disappear. Just make its 'magical' buff wear off after the first 30 minutes. Why stop people from keeping the useless sea cow after it has lost its powers if that is what they really want? I think it should just hang around - another pointless mouth to feed, draining the resources of players that lack the willpower to slaughter it for meat.

On 5/7/2017 at 8:32 PM, Bedrock006 said:

Ohh you're sooo clever thanks for the feedback and absolutely no understanding what I even implied you can't tame the insects or the jellyfish or ammonytes but they play a role in the game as did many creatures that you don't even know existed. History is a twisted path of species that thrived and ones that didn't do that well. you are out of touch with being open to anything that isn't your opinion. I don't care what someone as limited as you thinks keep reading without needing to try and mock what I think. I didnt say no games I said not everything is tameable that's why we have wild animals, but hey keep thinking your soooo clever.

You need to take some time to learn how to emotionally detach yourself from internet comments.

On 5/7/2017 at 5:27 PM, Dracul said:

Huh. One extreme to another. 

On 5/7/2017 at 10:44 PM, Christo said:

I don't really understand why it needs to disappear. Just make its 'magical' buff wear off after the first 30 minutes. Why stop people from keeping the useless sea cow after it has lost its powers if that is what they really want? I think it should just hang around - another pointless mouth to feed, draining the resources of players that lack the willpower to slaughter it for meat.

That actually makes more sense. I've noticed more people venturing into the ocean since this creature's release. That's a good thing.

4 hours ago, Bedrock006 said:

this game is challenging enough every time you exit your walled base.

Archived