Imprinting Is Unhealthy.

Crows

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:38 AM, ciabattaroll said:

If we were to stick mainly to the topic's title then no, the current imprinting mechanic isn't damaging to your health, as you can choose when to no longer imprint on the dino, and only 100% imprints would be where people believe it to be unhealthy. If we were to turn the topic into "is doing 100% imprint" unhealthy then that's where the situation takes a blurry turn. Many people (particularly those that will say up and down that they have "lives") will say they need their biphasic sleep to function. At that same note, there are many proponents for polyphasic sleep that do research into the theory that it's possible for a person to fight off fatigue even without sleeping their 6-8 hours straight. In fact, the US Air Force study on fatigue states that an individual can function by taking multiple naps throughout the day, no shorter than 45 minutes and ideally as long as 2 hours, until their naps equate to 8 hours of sleep. Given what I know of parenthood, I'm inclined to believe this concept because it's practically impossible to get a full night's rest when you are at the beck and call of a bawling creature that is utterly dependent on you for survival. The most you get are enough interrupted naps to make you feel like you got a full night's rest.

I like the examples of which you draw from, Imprinting isn't Compulsory. I'd like to make the argument that it should be improved further with other methods eg. "Imprinting" Your Dino things like EXP gain, Harvesting & Hours ridden that can be applied to all dino's even Wild Tames. A 360 base level Pteranadon is still always going to be far superior to a wild 150 tamed one, a change like this isn't going to make them pointless to achieve. Especially in a PVP environment where some people may not have the most hours to sink into Ark it'll slightly narrow the stat difference and not in an unhealthy way gameplay wise, people who sink lots of hours will be able to achieve imprinting in a variety of ways.  Ark has a lot of really cool mechanics in the game that could use a little "Improving" but that's a topic for another thread.

If you're thinking to yourself but won't your suggestion make Imprinting during baby phase obsolete, It could easily be introduced as the preferred route imprinting a child as it's growing. for example 1% imprint per hour ridden or 1-100% imprinting taking like 500K odd experience. I mean you are spending time with them still :P and that definitely should make you there favourite person.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
25 minutes ago, Morloa said:

I like the examples of which you draw from, Imprinting isn't Compulsory. I'd like to make the argument that it should be improved further with other methods eg. "Imprinting" Your Dino things like EXP gain, Harvesting & Hours ridden that can be applied to all dino's even Wild Tames. A 360 base level Pteranadon is still always going to be far superior to a wild 150 tamed one, a change like this isn't going to make them pointless to achieve. Especially in a PVP environment where some people may not have the most hours to sink into Ark it'll slightly narrow the stat difference and not in an unhealthy way gameplay wise, people who sink lots of hours will be able to achieve imprinting in a variety of ways.  Ark has a lot of really cool mechanics in the game that could use a little "Improving" but that's a topic for another thread.

If you're thinking to yourself but won't your suggestion make Imprinting during baby phase obsolete, It could easily be introduced as the preferred route imprinting a child as it's growing. for example 1% imprint per hour ridden or 1-100% imprinting taking like 500K odd experience. I mean you are spending time with them still :P and that definitely should make you there favourite person.

The one flaw to this suggestion is that babies cannot be ridden nor, to my recollection, can they be made to harvest.

This is the only game that I've played where I have had to play from friday to sunday 24/7 with broken and little sleep just to enjoy an "item". 

No wonder everyone is crabby on these forums - no ones had any sleep.

If I didnt enjoy the gather rates on and xserver on official I'd be on unofficial with structures plus and a xBreeding.

I would say playing computer games in general isnt the best thing for your health

If you take smoking for example which is proven to be unhealthy it still take decades of smoking to have it kill you even if you smoke daily

Until someone actually dies from imprinting im going to have to say its effect on your health is minimun until proven otherwise

Guest BubbaCrawfish
1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

The one flaw to this suggestion is that babies cannot be ridden nor, to my recollection, can they be made to harvest.

Someone said before about being able to hunt with them or play fetch. Which when you think about like, dogs in particular, you take them hunting after rabbits, and such and they'll get into it very quickly. You could make it that if you let them take on a larger dino they could have a chance that if they get hit by that dino that it has a negative impact on the imprint, as a dog that took on something and got hurt will generally start being skittish around that animal.

Seen it so much on working dogs with sheep being a main herd, but then if they get hit by a cow, they really don't trust those again and generally don't want to work with them.

When you set a dino to follow they won't harvest, but when you cancel the follow and have collection on they'll eat whatever is around them.  (Again, referencing the wolves)

Guest BubbaCrawfish
On 2/20/2017 at 4:49 PM, vanyelxp5 said:

I'm not opposed to changing the system, I just think there are ways of doing it that still require you to put in more effort than just raising it (one imprint a day is not enough work to justify handing you a dino that's twice as good. Don't remember who made that suggestion, but it's not a good one)

First thing I would do, keep timers the same, but multiply the effectiveness by 1.5-2. That way you don't HAVE to hit it every time, or near every time to get it to 100%.

Second, I'd add more options. In fact, I'd go a step further and do species specific options. Maybe Direwolves could want to play fetch, and you have to toss a ball for them (which you could have to craft, and each time they play with it, the durability goes down, make the materials simple enough to not be a grind, probably hide, fiber and thatch.) Rexes and the other large carnivores might want you to kill a small animal and feed it to them. Sabers might want you to drag a string for them, I don't know... I haven't thought it all the way through... but I wanna play fetch with a direwolf, so they should make it happen!

This guy @ciabattaroll

But searching for fetch returned another thread where someone actually suggested it at some point. Mini-games with your babies could prove to be interesting.

On 12/15/2016 at 10:08 AM, darkfelt said:

Imprinting dinos is a totally optional part of game play in Ark Survival Evolved. Survival does not require players to raise perfect 100% imprinted dinos and doing so would not necessarily give a decisive in game advantage, though it does offer a strategic advantage. The largest in game PvP advantage continues to be having a large numbers of players in your tribe correctly applying widely known tactics. That said, there is still a large group of completionist players who are compelled to min-max every game they play and they will attempt to gain 100% imprinted dinos, because it is an achievement that is available and rewarded in this game.

The purpose of this post is to discuss and call in to question the ethical implications of offering a game mechanic that requires a player to either put his/her health at risk or to break the terms of service by sharing account information. I am specifically referring to the imprinting feature available when raising dinosaurs bred in game. About every 3 hours for the duration of the gestation a player may interact with the immature dinosaur to increase it's stats, giving a cumulative bonus each time the interaction occurs. Only one player may perform this interaction to receive the bonus, other players may not help in the process. Gestation times vary from around 1 to 15 days depending on the type of creature being raised. If the player successfully interacts at every opportunity the fully matured creature will receive close to a 100% imprinting bonus, giving better stats than would otherwise be possible. 

Most sources on human health will agree that a human being needs around 7 to 8 hours of sleep each day to be generally healthy. A lack of sleep has been linked to an increased rate in health disorders as well as poor judgement and an increase in being prone to accidents. For example, a 10 year study by University of Colorado at Boulder showed when Americans set clocks back 1 hour for daylight savings time fatal accidents increase 17% for the Monday that follows.

I suggest that offering an in-game mechanic that encourages and rewards players to wake up every 3 hours for several days in a row is at the very least irresponsible of the game developer. 

The player has one other option if they wish to avoid the health risks of sleep deprivation and still achieve the 100% imprinting bonus. They can break the Terms of Service and share account information with another player. By doing this the players can take turns sleeping and still maintain the perfect imprint schedule. I further suggest that having a game mechanic that rewards this behavior is a security risk not only to Wildcard but also to Steam. While it's not really any of my business, I wonder whether Wildcard is living up to it's agreements, or the spirit of those agreements, with Steam by encouraging this account sharing behavior. 

I encourage Wildcard to rethink these things as it continues to develop the breeding mechanics of Ark Survival Evolved.

I invite open discourse. 

That guy hits the nail on the head. The mechanic is irresponsible in many ways and needs to be changed.

That is from this thread:

A reliable sleep information site states that any change in sleep schedule can be harmful. Changes like going from a full night of sleep to interrupting it to do imprinting can cause health problems.

Myth: Getting just one hour less sleep per night won’t affect your daytime functioning.

Fact: You may not be noticeably sleepy during the day, but losing even one hour of sleep can affect your ability to think properly and respond quickly. It also compromises your cardiovascular health, energy balance, and ability to fight infections.

That is from this site:

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/sleep/how-much-sleep-do-you-need.htm

With the mechanics the way they are in ark betrayal by friends/allies/people in your tribe is already common enough. Compounded with mechanics that result in common practice of sharing accounts across tribes for imprinting (a TOS violation) seems like Wildcard should really consider being able to perhaps imprint some of the longer/harder tames with 2-3 individuals.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
8 minutes ago, xnew009x said:

seems like Wildcard should really consider being able to perhaps imprint some of the longer/harder tames with 2-3 individuals.

?AllowAnyoneBabyImprintCuddle=true
Use this if you want ANYONE to be able to "take care" of a Baby Dino (cuddle etc), not just whomever Imprinted on it.

It's already there, it just needs to be put on the official servers if the people wanting this are playing on them...

4 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

It's already there, it just needs to be put on the official servers if the people wanting this are playing on them...

I personally would prefer if there was some sort of limit either by difficulty of tame or amount of time it takes. Increasing the number of players allowed to do it without cap would be pretty imbalanced. Imagine if everything raised during the valentines event was that way O_O.... If 2-3 players were making the effort to do the imprints it seems reasonable that they would also be able to get the bonus for riding the animal. 

Imprinting needs to be done via Tribe and not individual. Sure this makes it abit to easy for large tribes, but what about adding an option to either allow for a Tribe imprinted baby that any one in the tribe gets a bonus from riding; and an individual imprint which is currently used. The individual imprint can be much better in relation to bonus etc 30%, while the tribe can be maybe 15%. 

Guest BubbaCrawfish
6 hours ago, xnew009x said:

I personally would prefer if there was some sort of limit either by difficulty of tame or amount of time it takes. Increasing the number of players allowed to do it without cap would be pretty imbalanced. Imagine if everything raised during the valentines event was that way O_O.... If 2-3 players were making the effort to do the imprints it seems reasonable that they would also be able to get the bonus for riding the animal. 

The person who claims it, gets the imprint bonus... This option pertains to who can actually take care of the dino. Nothing more.

It's not feasible to allow multiples to have the bonus for the dinos imprinting.

The problem with the "Everyone should be able to help me imprint!" argument, is that it makes no sense.

When imprinting, you are setting yourself in their mind as "mommy" When you do the imprinting tasks, they love "mommy" more. Why would they love "mommy" more if "Aunty" or "Uncle" came and cuddled them, fed them kibble, or walked them?

I could see MAYBE separating the stat bonus from the imprinted rider bonus to enable tribemate imprinting. Give stat bonuses regardless of who takes care of it, but you only get rider bonus if the original imprinter does the care.

Guest BubbaCrawfish
2 hours ago, xenocidic said:

Yes but what does that have to do with the topic?

It means you don't have to be awake for entire time... That's what...

I read a handful of posts in this topic but wasn't going to read them all as it started getting samey. 

Firstly as already stated it is an optional mechanic and yes for longer breeding the imprinting probably will affect chances of a full nights sleep but come on! Can any of you who state this is an unhealthy mechanic say that you have never stayed up later than your usual bedtime?

Doesn't even have to be Ark, since I was in my early teen years I have been staying up later than my bedtime to game and I have no health problems at all besides my soul crushing fear of people. 

Since when are people starting to legitimately complain to a game dev that a game has caused them to stay up late and it's "unhealthy".

We game because we enjoy it, some of us stay up late because we enjoy it that much that we choose to sacrifice sleep.

Oh and on a side-note I'm a father of 4 children, one of whom is 10 month's old and I want to complain to whatever/whoever invented babies that he is preventing me from gaming as often as I would like to as it's seriously affecting my health and emotional wellbeing.

On 2/26/2017 at 3:54 AM, vanyelxp5 said:

The problem with the "Everyone should be able to help me imprint!" argument, is that it makes no sense.

When imprinting, you are setting yourself in their mind as "mommy" When you do the imprinting tasks, they love "mommy" more. Why would they love "mommy" more if "Aunty" or "Uncle" came and cuddled them, fed them kibble, or walked them?

I could see MAYBE separating the stat bonus from the imprinted rider bonus to enable tribemate imprinting. Give stat bonuses regardless of who takes care of it, but you only get rider bonus if the original imprinter does the care.

True but even then, getting tribemembers to imprint for you would still be a drag because you'd probably have to recruit a tribemember with insomnia or in a different timezone, and then rely on them etc. Meh.

12 hours ago, mythios said:

just because you say imprinting is optional doesn't mean it's fine as it is, game is still a work in progress, everything will be looked at again eventually and numbers "Will" change. if u can't deal with it as it is right now, u can wait till the finished product is out, which hopefully will be soon =D

As I see the technical state of the game right now and the work they'll do. The game shouldn't come out before next year...

Archived