No Longer Able to Run Private ASA Servers... maybe?

Arambourgiania

7 minutes ago, CatInFire said:

They had MONTHS to be ready for this. The launch got delayed from August to October and they still managed to fail. I think it can be understandble why people are frustrated... The level of incompetence of that team is unbelievable.

Well strictly speaking they did not really fail - they fulfilled the contract that brought them some $ to go on with. But from a wanna be online player perspective sure in life, it is a fail!

Edited by DirkInSA

for those asking proof: link to EULA: https://store.steampowered.com/eula/2430930_eula_0

test by youself: cannot instal the server in anon mode in steam cmd, even if you install using credentials you are UNABLE to run more than 1 server instance, even launching manually from installation path.

This means no more clusters on unofficial except for those paying nitrado.

also no reverse engineering allowed, so no more server API that was used to create and run amazing mods on server side that were used to support complex mods on servers and clusters.
This means unofficial is dead, which means ASA is a heavy elephant with shiny pants to play just in single player.

Edited by darkradeon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

So, just read this

https://server.nitrado.net/en-GB/news/ark-survival-ascended-server-hosting-exclusivity-news

We all know Nitrado bought the rights to commercial servers, but we assumed non-commercial little servers would be able to run. But they are not.

You need to apply for a free license and for that you need to have a community of at least 10,000 members. That's to host your own NON-COMMERICAL Ark server, even if it's from your own house - rip all those little friendly unofficials which never charge a bean, ever, for using their servers. No kits, no donations, no whitelisting, no subs, no patreon, etc, etc.

You'd think those large content creators "buy a sub and get access to my servers" could afford to pay the Nitrado fees anyway, but we know why that bar is so high and they are getting it for free - possibly to keep them quiet about all the little guys being pushed out? The I'm alright Jack mentality. 

Honestly, makes me sick this is so anti new people getting started with a server, and stifling the Ark community.

Someone please tell me I've read this wrong and people will still be able to set up small clusters on their own systems in their own homes and allow others to join.

• Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, darkradeon said:

1 server per account

you cannot run multiple steam account in same system even if you but x  copies of asa, it's a steam limitation.

clusters are just on nitrado.

they killed unofficial

dead game in 1 day.

gg snail, gg nitrado.

So in linux there are ways around this with just one physical server - BUT given the way it is right now, I will bet dollars that a linux version (server or otherwise) simply does not release.

2 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

So in linux there are ways around this with just one physical server - BUT given the way it is right now, I will bet dollars that a linux version (server or otherwise) simply does not release.

linux or windows doesn't matter. the server is bound to your account purchase. that's a backdoor to not allow you to run more than 1 instance.
you would say: "I buy x copies and I run x VM of steam".. except you are going to post your ip address on the nitrado backdoor and cluster is not gonna work anyway.

27 minutes ago, mindless2831 said:

Clearly you know nothing about me to even say that... I have been running a cluster since 2016 in ASE, but I don't see what that has to do with what I said. I'm going to redo the configuration for ASM now that I have the app id's for everything and will report back when I have it working. I think people need to calm down, it hasn't even been out for 24 hours and they had a huge issue with official servers due to people becoming admins. Cut Wildcard a little slack.

If somebody can figure out how to make it work I'll be thrilled. We'd all much rather be setting up our servers right now than being here complaining about the situation.

Just now, darkradeon said:

linux or windows doesn't matter. the server is bound to your account purchase. that's a backdoor to not allow you to run more than 1 instance.
you would say: "I buy x copies and I run x VM of steam".. except you are going to post your ip address on the nitrado backdoor and cluster is not gonna work anyway.

If it now validates against Nitrado rather than steam - then yep thats also a dead duck. With steam, I can run a chroot copy of the game with its own steam login - and I should be good to go. But its academic without a linux version posted somewhere ..........  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zero064 said:

Is that the official word from WC? So far I haven't seen anything from them on the subject. I'm sure they're having a busy day, but it'd clear things up a bunch if somebody were to pop in and say "Sorry, this is supposed to work but it's broken."

there is nothing to ask

nitrado DRM will not allow you. as well the license.

Edited by darkradeon

3 minutes ago, darkradeon said:

there is nothing to ask

nitrado DRM will not allow you.

There is though. I read the Nitrado agreement, and it specifically allows us to run non-commercial servers.

I also think that WC should tell us what's going on regardless, even if it's a lame "Sorry, this was a difficult business decision, and we hope to make this available in the future." With all the years we've been players (not to mention paying) they owe us that much.

Edited by zero064
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Luizza said:

So, just read this

https://server.nitrado.net/en-GB/news/ark-survival-ascended-server-hosting-exclusivity-news

We all know Nitrado bought the rights to commercial servers, but we assumed non-commercial little servers would be able to run. But they are not.

You need to apply for a free license and for that you need to have a community of at least 10,000 members. That's to host your own NON-COMMERICAL Ark server, even if it's from your own house - rip all those little friendly unofficials which never charge a bean, ever, for using their servers. No kits, no donations, no whitelisting, no subs, no patreon, etc, etc.

You'd think those large content creators "buy a sub and get access to my servers" could afford to pay the Nitrado fees anyway, but we know why that bar is so high and they are getting it for free - possibly to keep them quiet about all the little guys being pushed out? The I'm alright Jack mentality. 

Honestly, makes me sick this is so anti new people getting started with a server, and stifling the Ark community.

Someone please tell me I've read this wrong and people will still be able to set up small clusters on their own systems in their own homes and allow others to join.

As it seems to be right now - No, private small clusters are no more a viable thing. Sure, possible but at enormous expense compared to how ASE was.

No one here has yet tried to run 2 instances of the only released map on a LAN (like I ran a cluster of a bunch of different maps). So far it seems given a Windows server, It is not possible to run ASA "twice" on one box (Not even a "Host the game" and a "Play the Game"). So at a minimum one needs to run VM's or separate physical servers for each map instance. What is not yet verified is if that source public IP address of servers has any impact on "multiple copies". In other words can I host two bought copies of ASA on 2 VM's (or even 2 separate physical servers in my LAN) through the same public IP address. And then still be able to play the damned game on MY server(s) on MY public IP address?

Edited by DirkInSA

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to No Longer Able to Run Private ASA Servers... maybe?