Pie Chart style buttons move around - why?

JAYMOO79

8 hours ago, JAYMOO79 said:

(PC version) does anyone know why the pie chart buttons move around sometimes?

For example in the image below, sometimes the Access Inventory button will be on the right side
or sometimes it will be on the top like in the image

Unfortunatly this is same on consoles, it's a dynamic system. Indeed highly annoying if it keeps moving while trying to activate an option. It might be more stable when you approach target from slightly different angle or distance and by selecting "disable ally looking" on dino's.

• Thanks 1

Hi, are you on a raft? This flaw also often happens with animals, the combination between hitbox-distance allows (and denies) some actions compared to others (for example if you have an electric generator inside a 1x1x1 square you will notice the upper part coming out of the roof, you will be able to turn it on-off and unlock-lock but you will not be able to access his inventory) so, knowing this, the flaw that the options change even while you keep the radial wheel open (pie menu) is due to the "movement of the character and the dino-object, the one relative to the other, which changes the distance and position on the hitbox point where you open the menu".

The simple solution is the one written by MMaas above.

On 10/11/2023 at 11:58 AM, JAYMOO79 said:

(PC version) does anyone know why the pie chart buttons move around sometimes?

For example in the image below, sometimes the Access Inventory button will be on the right side
or sometimes it will be on the top like in the image

pie chart3.jpg

Ever hear of mouse macro programs that can click on an X/Y location on the screen without the user having to do anything but start the macro? Some can even be smart enough to run for quite a long time and do fairly complicated tasks. They can't do this if the radial menu isn't always the same. So that is my theory as to why they move around.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, wildbill said:

Ever hear of mouse macro programs that can click on an X/Y location on the screen without the user having to do anything but start the macro? Some can even be smart enough to run for quite a long time and do fairly complicated tasks. They can't do this if the radial menu isn't always the same. So that is my theory as to why they move around.

Your theory would make sense if it was stable but it can change while already open. In the case of ARK it is a dumb glitch that never got fixed inspite of multiple people reporting since the latency can cause you getting a wrong selection. Also, this problem is not strictly PC but on every platform and there is no need to use this on consoles: yes, you can use a mouse on consoles but installing that hack is not easy.
Just note that this is not only an issue with the wheel but it can also happen with opening doors or accessing storage with key commands: When there is an object nearby you might end up unlocking a nearby vault or cryofridge instead of opening a door or accessing a bookshelve.

9 hours ago, MMaas said:

Your theory would make sense if it was stable but it can change while already open. In the case of ARK it is a dumb glitch that never got fixed inspite of multiple people reporting since the latency can cause you getting a wrong selection. Also, this problem is not strictly PC but on every platform and there is no need to use this on consoles: yes, you can use a mouse on consoles but installing that hack is not easy.
Just note that this is not only an issue with the wheel but it can also happen with opening doors or accessing storage with key commands: When there is an object nearby you might end up unlocking a nearby vault or cryofridge instead of opening a door or accessing a bookshelve.

Ah, I only play PC and I don't recall it ever changing after it comes up. But I have notice it is not always the same. I've seen other games do this to discourage macros being run, so assumed it might be for that.