Community Crunch 380: Community Creature Winner, LiveOps Update, and More!

StudioWildcard

6 minutes ago, OverRannus said:

I don’t think the Jumpers coming back, they said this would be the final time. Same with the Gorgonops, which hurts for me as it was a creature I always wanted to be in Ark and was a perfect design and concept for Extinction, I am sad the Jumper didn’t make this time either, it seemed well designed for Extinction. But I am glad we got a cool creature for extinction!!! Not gonna lie though, I did have the Dread at the rock bottom of my list due to the fact of its size and that Extinction isn’t a sauropod friendly map. But I am glad it got in.

I know they said it would be the final time, but I've seen multiple authors using Gorgonops in past votes

Here's proof:

17 minutes ago, Dpooly69 said:

stop being a complete douche towards people because they want a creature they like in the game it's fine to not like something but it's another thing entirely to be a douche to them because they want it 

It’s ironic that you claim he’s being a douche whilst also directly insulting him for little more than sharing his opinion. That aside I share his opinion at least regarding adding it in. I may enjoy the creature’s concept and even suggested abilities for it in previous iterations but I’ve also said the same thing repeatedly since the first time a vote happened: runnerups shouldn’t be added as it cheapens the vote. In a race with one gold medal you don’t break it in half for the other guy no matter how hard they fought. The tenacity is admirable yes but the fight’s over and they weren’t the victor. Adding the spider would only diminish the winner’s achievement and lead to a resurface of the issue we’ve seen since creature vote #2, I.e. “x is popular so I say add it anyway!”. Start here and next it’ll be “add gorgon too”, then “add hatze too”, etc. etc. until there’s no point in voting.

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 4

7 minutes ago, Piriph said:

In gorgon's defense, it was originally planned for ark but was scrapped. As for the spider, well, I understand that people want it, but if it was truly the majority, it would have won by now. No disrespect intended, I'm simply playing devil's advocate. Lastly, I'm frankly tired of seeing the spider in every vote, it takes up a slot that could be used for something new imo

This is how I feel EXACTLY. Sure, I may be biased because I'm an arachnophobe, but there are some insanely cool spiders that existed millions of years ago. The chimerachnae concept was amaaaazing and im just frankly tired of seeing the same spider when it is arguably not even an extinct creature, just using the name of an extinct creature. It's a mega-sized version of the jumping spiders you'd find in your backyard, and I just dont get the appeal other than it being "cute spider". I mean no disrespect to the creator, nor fans of it. I am just tired of seeing the same generic spider over and over again. There are spiders with whip like bodies that existed long ago, and other crazy body types. I just want some more creativity and something interesting rather than a supersized version of a bug I can find in my backyard.

17 minutes ago, Dpooly69 said:

Not really? if you weren't a minority then Meavia wouldn't have gained any traction whatsoever 

Ranked vote. I put Dreadnoughtus as my first pick, Maevia as my 10th spot pick, last place. The spider ending in second puts it in the minority because more votes went towards dreadnoughtus. More = Majority, Less = Minority. Dreadnoughtus gang squashes the competition.

We are all allowed an opinion. There are those unhappy the spider lost, and their feelings are valid. I am happy the spider lost, and my feelings are also valid. There were 10 dinosaurs in this vote, and all were good concepts. Someone was bound to lose, and Im extra happy that my #1 pick won :)

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

3 minutes ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

It’s ironic that you claim he’s being a douche whilst also directly insulting him for little more than sharing his opinion. That aside I share his opinion at least regarding adding it in. I may enjoy the creature’s concept and even suggested abilities for it in previous iterations but I’ve also said the same thing repeatedly since the first time a vote happened: runnerups shouldn’t be added as it cheapens the vote. In a race with one gold medal you don’t break it in half for the other guy no matter how hard they fought. The tenacity is admirable yes but the fight’s over and they weren’t the victor. Adding the spider would only diminish the winner’s achievement and lead to a resurface of the issue we’ve seen since creature vote #2, I.e. “x is popular so I say add it anyway!”. Start here and next it’ll be “add gorgon too”, then “add hatze too”, etc. etc. until there’s no point in voting.

excellently said

In my opinion I believe that the Maevia should not get the Charcar treatment and here’s why. According to the Lost Island creature vote the charcar lost by only 300 votes meanwhile Maevia is losing to a 1-7k difference on each vote it’s been in. Comparing the two the charc was wanted more seeing how it got very close to winning twice and was allowed to be in the game due to the devs generosity. Meanwhile Maevia is trying desperately trying to get attention by its fans to be picked again with its looks and its special abilities. In the end I feel like the charcar is a one time exception where two Dino’s from the creature vote gets added to the game and I feel like that shouldn’t be taken away from him. 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 2

Wildcard

May i suggest you remove the Ark News section from the Ark start screen on playstation when you release ASA. As it is completely pointless on ASE as you haven't bothered to put a note to inform players the servers are closing down. I consider it, very important news considering the time and effort to tame, build bases etc and it's all going to disappear.  

From my experience of playing ASE you see elements that truly are with the very best in the gaming industry. Then there are many elements that are the worst, that fall well below what is deemed 'industry standard'. 

Please try and sort out the many things that are below industry standard when you release ASA, if not for the community then do it for the many talented staff in your company. As it tarnishes the great work they do and quite frankly makes your company look amateurish.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, xackbelle said:

If they add the spider then they may as well add Gorgonops too since it's been in nearly as many votes. Personally I'd prefer no other creature get the carchar treatment, as that one was unique. Let the winner speak for itself, no runner up nonsense.

Nitrado only mentioned that it has to be out on PC by end of October.. nothing was mentioned at all about console when nitrado bailed out snail games when they lent them just over 4 million dollars which just over 1 million was for what snail games owed nitrado for the cost of there server's.

5 minutes ago, xackbelle said:

This is how I feel EXACTLY. Sure, I may be biased because I'm an arachnophobe, but there are some insanely cool spiders that existed millions of years ago. The chimerachnae concept was amaaaazing and im just frankly tired of seeing the same spider when it is arguably not even an extinct creature, just using the name of an extinct creature. It's a mega-sized version of the jumping spiders you'd find in your backyard, and I just dont get the appeal other than it being "cute spider". I mean no disrespect to the creator, nor fans of it. I am just tired of seeing the same generic spider over and over again. There are spiders with whip like bodies that existed long ago, and other crazy body types. I just want some more creativity and something interesting rather than a supersized version of a bug I can find in my backyard.

Ranked vote. I put Dreadnoughtus as my first pick, Maevia as my 10th spot pick, last place. The spider ending in second puts it in the minority because more votes went towards dreadnoughtus. More = Majority, Less = Minority. Dreadnoughtus gang squashes the competition.

We are all allowed an opinion. There are those unhappy the spider lost, and their feelings are valid. I am happy the spider lost, and my feelings are also valid. There were 10 dinosaurs in this vote, and all were good concepts. Someone was bound to lose, and Im extra happy that my #1 pick won :)

My man! Based as hell, I completely agree with you mate.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, BionicKetchup65 said:

Seeing the spider loose is always so satisfying 

Now now, no need to needle them over the loss. It’s important to be graceful in victory and acknowledge that they gave it a good attempt. Keeping a stranglehold on second for the entirety of the competition is commendable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Huntress0102 said:

So if u cant afford to host ur own server or afford a new xbox for ark ascended.

Will my character and dinos all stay The same i just play alone.

No, you have to host a Nitrado server, even tho they made it seem like you could take the saves to single player. But hosting a Server will allow you to get your stuff back on unoff.

Edited by alanichimaru

Would you guys ever consider adding the Maevia as another creature in the future? In every vote it has been in it has done extremely well and in the Ab and this one (Extinction) it has gotten 2nd twice! I really think it deserves the Carchar treatment. And I hear people saying that some people won't want it and that is the exact same thing with the carchar not everyone wanted it. But personally I think that it would be great as it would satisfy both sides.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 2

I'm not surprised the Dreadnoughtus won, because the sauropods and fliers had really good chances of being added, but I fear for how the devs handle this one. I don't really think Ark needs what is essentially a copy paste Titanosaur in concept that you can fight the Titans with. What makes that different from a Giga or Carchar in purpose? Please don't just make that its purpose.

I think we're getting too many 'shock abd awe' creatures as well. Don't assume just cause something won that it means people obviously want it either. The Fasolasuchus was a disaster that obviously was not voted because of the concept it ended up with because if it had been the one the devs gave it would have been missing enough of a chunk of its support that it likely wouldn't have won or even gotten through top 3. I don't care how many times people said 'vote for the creature not the abilities' because there is no way that alone would have won it the vote. By that logic you should include and remember 'vote for the creature not the art' because I think people are putting too much value on the art too, it looks WAY different than it did, almost nothing alike. I hope people didn't vote for it based on that alone, that just hurts dinos and their chances at getting in on more than cool factors. That doesn't make a creature.

But I think we're starting to get to a point where so many creatures that Ark 'should really just add' are piling up. The Maevia, the Gorgonopsid, multiple aquatic ones, the Deinocheirus, arthropods like Anomalacaris, the many Sauropods, Triceratopsians and Theropods people still love even when people scream that we dont need more carnivores (even if its a decent argument for letting more herbivores get in, we did get one this time but it might end up being another war machine or in the veins of the Giga killers). I think the very reason they're losing is actually because of why they're popular. They are creatures people think should just be in the game, and they are. They are beloved by people. Don't act like they don't want these creatures cause that's like saying what you're defending or voting for is obviously inferior or worse if it didn't win.

Also, the 'Carchar Treatment' was an embarrassing and terrible idea of the devs, it literally breached the boundaries of the vote without truly doing it because they decided it should be in the game. This is not just 'it shouldn't happen again', it's 'it shouldn't have happened in the first place', it's now put the Idea in people's minds that creatures can (possibly) get in the game if they're popular enough. Meaning that has probably dealt a blow to the theoretical credibility and meaning of the vote. It's turned more into a fighting pit and graveyard where what people really want from the game linger.

My opinion, even if you disagree with it, is that the devs really should use all this data and creative work in the future to implement more creatures, because they really are amazing ideas, so many of them, and lots of high creatures are ones people want. I can already hear the complaints, the whining about them hardly able to swat a bug or not even done fixing or rebooting Ark into its shiny new coat of paint to do this, and I want them to add even more? Yes, when they're done with cleaning up the mess they made. But most people on here don't think that far ahead when they post on here to tell people that the game is broke so whats the point or that your dumb for suggesting it. So maybe realize your fighting with people on a dinosaur video game forum and that it's kinda pointless as you'll both gain nothing from it. Let people have their opinions and put their ideas forth cause clearly this game has gone nowhere for years and if you really cared about possibly finally getting a version of Ark that works at least fine then you wouldn't be complaining about ASA. This should have happened a long time ago, then not as many people would have had to lose so much. You can argue that the devs aren't gonna give us more than a higher rez Ark but any chance at facelifting this game is what we needed. No amount of modding has ever fixed the fundamental flaws of Ark and I assume it's not that easy when other game molders have gone in to fix this stuff before. But prove me wrong if possible cause I'd have loved to discover Ark's hidden Optifine or something that fixes the majority of the issues in this game.

You know. If we're going to add this creature why not add it mechanics that counter carnivores? Give it the abilities to debuff carnivores or their abilities or something, the Carchar could even be its rival like the Titano is to the Giga, like if there is a raging Carchar then the Dreadnoughtus can Roar a challenge that buffs it towards the Carchar in particular. It could even knock creatures over and introduce knockdown, a special CC that literally just Knocks creatures off their feet like they're unconscious for a moment, lasting longer the bigger a creature is, the bigger they are the harder they fall etc. It would be based on size and require hitting the center of mass of a creature with the attacks hit box which would have to be more precise, so there's a reason to dodge. Bigger creatures can more easily knock you down. Doing this could dismount the rider, depending on the creature and it's saddle. Make this thing make carnivores sorry they messed with it. If we're going to get a big herbivore it better be worth it. Don't pull an Amargasaurus or a Titanosaur. This creature deserves to be more than a battering ram or a boss dino.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, ChrisBManos said:

I know they said it would be the final time, but I've seen multiple authors using Gorgonops in past votes

Here's proof:

I admit that I do remember seeing these and seeing they weren’t made by this current and probably best designer of this creature, I though am going to say this was its last attempt by the designer to make it in these submissions and I will not try to get someone else’s in to lock it in the first round creature vote just to hope to see it win (If it makes it to a final round, I will vote for it high, but I will not help it make a top ten before the real voting starts.). I hope WC will have pity on this creature and the Jumper and add them to one of these new DLC maps that they are doing. And I hope one has a wasteland or desert for the Gorgonops to be in its prime. I only hope that the Gorgonops will just not be submitted anymore. If it is, the only map I could see it having a good chance to be in is Fjordur on Asgard or maybe Lost Island. But I will not try to help it make a final round anymore. I feel that it will not get increasing support from the community as everyone feels tired of this creature being in the votes. Which make me sad because the person who submitted it just wanted people to vote honestly on the design and concept and not for how many times it was submitted in these votes. I am not giving up on this creature as I feel that this creature should be in ASA, I’m just going to keep my word. I voted for the Gorgonops knowing full well that this would be the final submission for this creature that I would do for it, and it lost and I am not going to back out of what I knew I was voting for because it lost. And I think that it’s prime for a map that we’ve seen from ASE coming to ASA is gone. Extinction, Scorched Earth and Ragnorok were the best choices and maps for this creature. I hope to see some new cool creatures for the future. If it gets in another time for the final round of votes, I will vote for it, but I won’t help it make it into the final round.

44 minutes ago, CosmicSkeleton said:

Desmo venceu uma vez e é comparativamente pequeno. Pouco maior que um ptera. Dinopithecus também não era de tamanho gigante para os padrões da arca.

Most of the creatures are a thousand times the size of real life, this is absurd for a real survival game. Real Rhyniognatha was 2mm in the game and carries a rex

33 minutes ago, Luux said:

I'm not surprised the Dreadnoughtus won, because the sauropods and fliers had really good chances of being added, but I fear for how the devs handle this one. I don't really think Ark needs what is essentially a copy paste Titanosaur in concept that you can fight the Titans with. What makes that different from a Giga or Carchar in purpose? Please don't just make that its purpose.

I think we're getting too many 'shock abd awe' creatures as well. Don't assume just cause something won that it means people obviously want it either. The Fasolasuchus was a disaster that obviously was not voted because of the concept it ended up with because if it had been the one the devs gave it would have been missing enough of a chunk of its support that it likely wouldn't have won or even gotten through top 3. I don't care how many times people said 'vote for the creature not the abilities' because there is no way that alone would have won it the vote. By that logic you should include and remember 'vote for the creature not the art' because I think people are putting too much value on the art too, it looks WAY different than it did, almost nothing alike. I hope people didn't vote for it based on that alone, that just hurts dinos and their chances at getting in on more than cool factors. That doesn't make a creature.

But I think we're starting to get to a point where so many creatures that Ark 'should really just add' are piling up. The Maevia, the Gorgonopsid, multiple aquatic ones, the Deinocheirus, arthropods like Anomalacaris, the many Sauropods, Triceratopsians and Theropods people still love even when people scream that we dont need more carnivores (even if its a decent argument for letting more herbivores get in, we did get one this time but it might end up being another war machine or in the veins of the Giga killers). I think the very reason they're losing is actually because of why they're popular. They are creatures people think should just be in the game, and they are. They are beloved by people. Don't act like they don't want these creatures cause that's like saying what you're defending or voting for is obviously inferior or worse if it didn't win.

Also, the 'Carchar Treatment' was an embarrassing and terrible idea of the devs, it literally breached the boundaries of the vote without truly doing it because they decided it should be in the game. This is not just 'it shouldn't happen again', it's 'it shouldn't have happened in the first place', it's now put the Idea in people's minds that creatures can (possibly) get in the game if they're popular enough. Meaning that has probably dealt a blow to the theoretical credibility and meaning of the vote. It's turned more into a fighting pit and graveyard where what people really want from the game linger.

My opinion, even if you disagree with it, is that the devs really should use all this data and creative work in the future to implement more creatures, because they really are amazing ideas, so many of them, and lots of high creatures are ones people want. I can already hear the complaints, the whining about them hardly able to swat a bug or not even done fixing or rebooting Ark into its shiny new coat of paint to do this, and I want them to add even more? Yes, when they're done with cleaning up the mess they made. But most people on here don't think that far ahead when they post on here to tell people that the game is broke so whats the point or that your dumb for suggesting it. So maybe realize your fighting with people on a dinosaur video game forum and that it's kinda pointless as you'll both gain nothing from it. Let people have their opinions and put their ideas forth cause clearly this game has gone nowhere for years and if you really cared about possibly finally getting a version of Ark that works at least fine then you wouldn't be complaining about ASA. This should have happened a long time ago, then not as many people would have had to lose so much. You can argue that the devs aren't gonna give us more than a higher rez Ark but any chance at facelifting this game is what we needed. No amount of modding has ever fixed the fundamental flaws of Ark and I assume it's not that easy when other game molders have gone in to fix this stuff before. But prove me wrong if possible cause I'd have loved to discover Ark's hidden Optifine or something that fixes the majority of the issues in this game.

You know. If we're going to add this creature why not add it mechanics that counter carnivores? Give it the abilities to debuff carnivores or their abilities or something, the Carchar could even be its rival like the Titano is to the Giga, like if there is a raging Carchar then the Dreadnoughtus can Roar a challenge that buffs it towards the Carchar in particular. It could even knock creatures over and introduce knockdown, a special CC that literally just Knocks creatures off their feet like they're unconscious for a moment, lasting longer the bigger a creature is, the bigger they are the harder they fall etc. It would be based on size and require hitting the center of mass of a creature with the attacks hit box which would have to be more precise, so there's a reason to dodge. Bigger creatures can more easily knock you down. Doing this could dismount the rider, depending on the creature and its saddle. Make this thing make carnivores sorry they messed with it. If we're going to get a big herbivore it better be worth it. Don't pull an Amargasaurus or a Titanosaur. This creature deserves to be more than a battering ram or a boss dino.

I am writing this comment before I finish reading this comment, I am sorry about that.

There is only around a 20 creature difference between tameable  Carnivores and Herbivores. WC really just needs to buff up the herbivores that we have that feel they should be stronger than they really are. A lot of the Herbivores are lower tier than the Carnivores we have in the game. I am glad we are getting more herbivores in ASA because it has Been a little while since we got one. But the Argument of Ark having too many carnivores and not having nearly enough herbivores is just not true. It’s that most of the Carnivores are very much higher tier and are just more used than herbivores. Which is a real shame since some of the herbivores have a lot of potential for be given TLCs and be much higher tier than what they are.

Edited by OverRannus