I have been noticing something in the in-game chat do you all see it too?

Dragonkuda

Hey All hope your doing well. But, I have an issue and I wanted to see if it is just me and my settings or is anyone else seeing this. Ok so as of the last few weeks I have been noticing something in game chat on official servers were my words are censored or something and just random words too. For instance if I say " man that sunset looks amazing" but in chat it looks like "man that s***et looks amazing" what is with the "*" It looks like some sort of language filter but just goes off whenever? Also what is with the name mu dino thing where I am unable to use the name "Grape" like the fruit. I love purple dinos and I use to use "Grape" in many names but if I try now it gives me an error message telling me something about the bad language thing. IDK let me know if anyone is having the same issues as me or if you notice my setting are wonky or something.

7 hours ago, Dragonkuda said:

in game chat on official servers

Which offical servers? Steam, Epic, PC, PS, Xbox...?

The console official servers have chat policies that are dictated by the platform owner (e.g. Microsoft for Xbox) so any weirdness with the chat on those specific official servers is caused by the platform owner. I'm not sure how much involvement Steam, Epic or Microsoft have on the three PC based platforms.

• Volunteer Moderator
On 7/15/2023 at 3:56 PM, Pipinghot said:

The console official servers have chat policies that are dictated by the platform owner (e.g. Microsoft for Xbox) so any weirdness with the chat on those specific official servers is caused by the platform owner. I'm not sure how much involvement Steam, Epic or Microsoft have on the three PC based platforms.

All platforms have a chat filter based on the Aho-Corasick Algorithm (badwords.txt/goodwords.txt) for quite a while now. It probably is necessary to be in compliance and bring ASA cross-platforms. If bug reports are submitted, I'm sure they would consider adding more exceptions and tweak the filtering further.

Put the letters that are bleeped out together, they most likely spell a naughty word...

I got snagged with "I just hopped on to imprint dinos"

"I just hop*** *n to imprint dinos"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh and "My carchas are done growing"

"My carchas are do** ***wing"

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Edited by Mike585x

On 7/16/2023 at 9:22 PM, invincibleqc said:

All platforms have a chat filter based on the Aho-Corasick Algorithm (badwords.txt/goodwords.txt) for quite a while now. It probably is necessary to be in compliance and bring ASA cross-platforms. If bug reports are submitted, I'm sure they would consider adding more exceptions and tweak the filtering further.

Just out of curiosity, is that exclusive or inclusive? Which is to say, is the chat filter for ARK is only governed by the Aho-Corasick Algorithm Algorithm, or is it governed by Aho-Corasick Algorithm in addition to policies for each platform?

47 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Just out of curiosity, is that exclusive or inclusive? Which is to say, is the chat filter for ARK is only governed by the Aho-Corasick Algorithm Algorithm, or is it governed by Aho-Corasick Algorithm in addition to policies for each platform?

Idk, but Xbox was extremely strict for a few months. As bad as not being able to say "lol", "Bob", or even type "raw" into item search... But now it seems they said eff it to the filter entirely, and people can freely curse and basically say anything they want... Except for a very small select few of words that can be offensive like my example above.

Edited by Mike585x

8 hours ago, Mike585x said:

Put the letters that are bleeped out together, they most likely spell a naughty word...

I got snagged with "I just hopped on to imprint dinos"

"I just hop*** *n to imprint dinos"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh and "My carchas are done growing"

"My carchas are do** ***wing"

( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

...if you stick the two words together and then decompose them differently:

hop-PEDO-n (pedophilia)

do-NEGRO-wing (racism) 

Actually there are some censorships that seem inexplicable but we must bear in mind that we do not know all the words of any other foreign language. apart from this, a short time ago a QA gave an answer here in the Forum explaining that the "filter" that is in use is that of the universal system but that the internal WC staff is developing its own filter to improve the situation in our game chat Ark (I don't know if it's already in place now or not)

1 hour ago, CervantesMor said:

...if you stick the two words together and then decompose them differently:

hop-PEDO-n (pedophilia)

do-NEGRO-wing (racism) 

Actually there are some censorships that seem inexplicable but we must bear in mind that we do not know all the words of any other foreign language. apart from this, a short time ago a QA gave an answer here in the Forum explaining that the "filter" that is in use is that of the universal system but that the internal WC staff is developing its own filter to improve the situation in our game chat Ark (I don't know if it's already in place now or not)

That's what I was saying...

• Thanks 1