What is going on?!?!? Why is the John Cena theme song playing over and over?

Moonie1

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Moonie1 said:

Must be malware or something, since I turned off music and master volume and it still blasts the here we go nonsense. I only go to the ark wiki and play ark on that computer so one of the two is the culprit. I dont see anyone else complaining of this so it has to be the wiki, beware.

Just went to the wiki, no music here.

Found a video about it though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ybW48rKBME.

Edited by Joebl0w13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonie1 said:

Today when I logged in, the John Cena theme song plays over and over in Ark. Started as soon as I started up the game. Ends when I exit. Wth is going on?

Do you have siblings or roommates who are good with computers and like to mess with you? Something like this maybe?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5838-change-event-sounds-sound-scheme-windows-10-a.html

1 hour ago, Obiwan10 said:

Strange.. could be a mod if you have any installed.

Except that it starts as soon as the game choices appear. Mods arent loaded til you choose a server.

I uninstalled and hopefully a reinstall will get rid of it. Downloading and installing half a terrabyte stinks but that john cena crap was way worse! ;)

27 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Do you have siblings or roommates who are good with computers and like to mess with you? Something like this maybe?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5838-change-event-sounds-sound-scheme-windows-10-a.html

LOL no, im all alone. It started today, I was playing late last night and didnt hear it. The only place I went was to the wiki, one of the ads most likely had it and installed it upon start up this morning. Its only in Ark, I can play other Steam games and no Cena intro music. Im just surprised my security didnt catch it. Doesnt even see it in a scan.

Ok so I uninstalled thinking that would fix the issue. I reinstalled and it still happens. I start up Ark, the Ark music starts playing and then this other music starts blaring. It is on a endless loop so it even follows me from the login screen to in game.

I checked every single one of the ogg music files and none have this music in them. I dont have any mods. I dont have any additional loading parameters added to start up.

Does anyone know how I can see or trace the start up to see what is being loaded?

Thanks,

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, Moonie1 said:

Ok so I uninstalled thinking that would fix the issue. I reinstalled and it still happens. I start up Ark, the Ark music starts playing and then this other music starts blaring. It is on a endless loop so it even follows me from the login screen to in game.

I checked every single one of the ogg music files and none have this music in them. I dont have any mods. I dont have any additional loading parameters added to start up.

Does anyone know how I can see or trace the start up to see what is being loaded?

Thanks,

Try Process Monitor from Sysinternals: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

You can get some useful information on every process currently running using Get-Process in PowerShell as well.

Edited by Joebl0w13

Thanks JB.

Using the Get-Process command in Powershell I saw something called GameOverlayUI. I recalled when the music started each time, the message would come up letting me know I could hit a certain key(s) to see the Steam Overlay from in game. On a whim I ended the process and sure enough the music ended instantly.

Is it possible to play music in games (Ark) from the Steam Overlay? Obviously I didnt choose this music to play, some kind of malware must have installed it. I need to find out how to disable this or turn it off permanently.

3 hours ago, Moonie1 said:

Is it possible to play music in games (Ark) from the Steam Overlay?

Sounds like maybe you enabled something like this accidentally.

https://www.bytesin.com/tutorial-use-steam-music-player-inside-outside-games/

3 hours ago, Moonie1 said:

some kind of malware must have installed it. I need to find out how to disable this or turn it off permanently.

Yeah, that's still a possibility, but if your anti-virus and/or anti-malware can't find anything then it's more likely you enabled it accidentally while doing something else. I mean, obviously it could be malware, but if you can't find any evidence of malware then it wouldn't make any sense for something to sneak on to your computer and only do this one thing that's both funny and harmless. That's not really what malware people do.

Update:

Yesterday at JoeBl0w13's prompting I ran Get-Process in Powershell. It showed two instances of GameOverlayUI. One was in Caps, one was in all lowercase. I ended the process on the caps one and the music stopped instantly. Since then I have rebooted and started multiple times and the music has not come back. I can only imply that since it wasnt part of a startup process when the computer booted up, that it was a temporary process somehow initiated that morning. Most likely from the Ark wiki since it only targeted Ark. None of the other games I tested had the music.

Hopefully it stays this way. Thanks for the help all. :)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...