Suggestion

--------------------------------------------------------------

INTRODUCING MESOPARAPYLOCHELES

THE GIANT HERMIT CRAB! 

( The perfect creature to improve the ocean ...and land! )

HERMIT_CRAB_NEW_DOSSIER.png

CASCOS_DIFERENTES.png

(3D renders and Drawings by me.)

Hello, everyone! First of all, sorry about the wall of text, but I really went IN into making this creature as detailed as it can be, with sections exclusive to answering questions that'll probably appear around.

Now, meet The Giant Hermit Crab! My first-ever submission to the community creature vote, so excuses me if anything here looks or sounds too op/weak!
The one who came up with this creature idea and some designs was my young little brother who loves playing Ark, so if you like anything here, thank him too!

DOSSIER 📚 :

These creatures may look scary,  but they're actually very friendly.  You can find them around the beach or in less populated areas of the ocean, most of the time you'll find it in groups, trading their shells  for a bigger one between each other. They can use their strong claws to stick themselves on the ground and let it go, throwing itself like a Cannon       Ball! This is extremely useful to move around since the heavy shell they carry on their back makes them uncable to swim at a reasonable speed.

DOMESTICATED 🦮 :

To domesticade these creatures, you'll need to wait for it to trade it’s shell, something they can only do in a group of at least two of them.  After the shells got "traded", the Hermit Crabs will value these new ones quite a bit, enough for them to go out their way to repair it after it  got destroyed. The crab will ask for various materials to repair it's shell,  from rocks, pearls and flint to metal, obsiodian and even crystal! I  imagine that one could destroy their shell and gain it’s friendship back by helping it put itself together... It’s messed up, you it’s there! 

THE SHELLS 🐚 :

After domesticated, the crab can be taught to build  shells that allows the master to see from the  inside of it, giving them protection from      creatures that could take them out, such as Kapros and Karkinos, but at the sacrifice of not being able to use tools and weapons when mounted.

BEACH_ME_AND_BOYS.png

-NATURE- 🌳

The Giant Hermit crab is a Docile creature, it won't attack the player, only if threatened. You'll be able to find them around the beach and in less habituated areas of the ocean, where they'll be found in groups, changing shells or hidden inside their shells, waiting for others to come for some shell trading or just hiding.
Because of their shells, they have a natural stealth ability, making it harder for enemies to spot them ( and so they can stay in groups for longer periods so the player can tame them).

-MOVES- 👊

• MULTIPLE PUNCHES
The crab can lie on its back and use all of its limbs to perform a bunch of punches, one after another that hits multiple creatures

• HIDE MODE
The player can make their crabs go inside their shell while mounted or unmounted, this will make the crab unable to move, but will increase its defense while you wait for someone else to rescue you or while you want for your shell to do the work!

•RUNNING UNDERWATER
The Hermit Crabs can use the weight of their shells to get them on the ground, like if it was on land, that way they can walk underwater AND sprint underwater, something they're pretty fast at, even with the shells on!

•CANNON BALL LAUNCH ( Better explained at SKILLS )
The crab can launch itself in the air like a cannonball, underwater AND on land.

-TAMING- 🥩

Taming this creature will be something along the lines of a Gacha but with a few extra steps... The player must find a group of at least 2 of them, clear the area so nothing crazy can happen, then do the following:

First, the player needs to attack the desired Hermit Crab until their health is low, when the low health is reached, the shell becomes extremely damaged and in need of a replacement, the player then needs to get out of the crab's sight and come back. When coming back, the player will see the crabs to start an event where they'll start to trade the shells with each other, the crab with the broken shell will get a new one from another crab, and that crab will simply bury itself in the sand and come out with a new one after some time.
This new shell is extremely valuable for the crab and he'll do anything to keep it intact... So the player must attack it again to get this new one almost broken too! When the health is low again, the crab will enter another event where he'll start to repair the shell, but it can't do this alone... This is where it'll start to ask for materials, such as rocks, metal, silica pearls, obsidian, etc... The player must bring said items until the bar fills up and it gets tamed and rocking a new shell!
( I thought about reducing the tame process to simply breaking the first shell and helping the crab repair just there, but I really like the implementation of the event of the crabs trading shells, since it's something they're known for... And I think that after some time, it'll be pretty simple when you know what to do, but you guys could tell me in the comments! )

-WHAT IF ONE OF THEM GETS KILLED? WILL THAT AFFECT MY TAMING?-

Yes and this would be one hell of an annoyance... but luckily these guys will hide inside their shells and wait for new friends to appear for some shell trading out of nowhere! ( This is something they do in real life too. )
But don't think you'll be able to farm these guys since they'll stop coming after some time, making the current crab dig into the ground and disappear or just... Start to wander around... And die to a Spino...

DROPS :

-BASIC MEAT

-CHITIN

-ORGNIC POLYMER

SKILLS :

Even tho it may look like the Giant Hermit Crab is a water-only creature, the skills it has are really good on land AND underwater, but more so on land.

1 - SHELLS AND CLAWS

After years of evolution and being homeless, the Hermit Crabs found a few ways to take advantage of the lack of REALLY big shells... By crafting their own! The player can take advantage of that skill to make them craft some really good shells and claws that can change the way you use the Hermit Crab :

The Stone Shell is nothing more than your usual bit of defense, simple as that.

CRAB_WILD.png

The Metal Set gives a bit more defense than the stone shell, but it also comes with pickaxe/axe-like claws! With the Metal Shell, the crab can launch itself into resources to break them but also use the claw that has an inside mechanism close to the SNAPPING SHRIMP'S arm that shut to create a cavitation bubble that generates acoustic pressures strong enough to paralyze creatures and in this instance, break rocks, trees, crystal, obsidian and more but don't expect much more than your usual pickaxe...
What is good is that the crab gets reduced weight from all these years of "experimenting" with these resources, don't ask me how...
( The Metal Shell also has the format of a can in reference to Hermit Shells using metal cans as shells in real life ).

METAL_N_SHADOW_LOW.png

The Obsidian Set is where it's at. Better defense and attack than the Metal Set and the gloves can give bleed damage because of its spikes that cut the flesh on their way out ( epic ) but at the cost of less distance from the CANNON BALL MOVE and less knockback by punching creatures.
( The shells and claws design is a reference to the Alligator Snapping Turtle's shell! )

OB_SOMBRA.png

The Bio Toxin set has the defense between the Stone and Metal Shells, but it comes with a really toxic shell that inflicts torpor on enemies that attacks it! And when the enemies start to flee 'cause of the high torpor, you can simply launch your crab against them to continue to inflict torpor! ... The bad part is that doing the CANNON BALL move will end up inflicting more DAMAGE than torpor, have that in mind.
( The design of the shell is a reference to the Red Lionfish. )

TORPOR_SHADOW1.png

The Crystal Set has not had much more defense than the Stone Shell, but it comes with great spikes around the Shell and Claws that inflicts knockback into enemies, high enough for you to push undesired creatures away from you as you walk/swim/fly.
Using the Crystal Shell and the button to make the Crab hide inside the shell, the player can use them as spiked walls! Just put a bunch of them around a creature or area and you'll have great protection over that area!
( The Spiky design is inspired by the spiked walls, something you could use this shell for! )

TORPOR_SHADOW.png

-HOW TO IMPLEMENT THE BUFFS?-

To get new shells the player must first grab the item and drop it into the SADDLE of the crab, this will make the crab go into a little animation where it'll get out of the shell and start to rebuild it, but only for some seconds. After it was finished the crab will get back into the shell with its gloves and shell ready!

-DOES THE BUFF HAVE A TIMER?-

The timer of the buffs is the quantity of the equipped items your crab is carrying, BUT it only goes down when getting hit or using the claw when punching creatures or resources.

-WHAT IF THE RESOURCES RUN OUT?-

When the resources run out, the crab will force the player to unmount and then clear/rebuild its shell to the basic form for a couple of seconds... So be careful with the amount you're carrying!

-WHAT IF I WANT TO SWITCH/DISABLE THE BUFF?-

You'll need to take the material out of the SADDLE, just like disabling a skin, this will make the crab do the cleaning/repair animation, forcing you out of the SADDLE, so don't even try to abuse it!

2 - CANNON BALL LAUNCH ( Underwater and on Land! ) 💣

CANON_BALL_SHADOW.png

The Hermit Crab cannot swim greatly underwater when it has the shell on, something that happens with the real worlds version of them too, so in this iteration, it has to rely on its cannonball move, where it'll stick its hand into the ground, push itself back, then let it go for a cannonball launch of itself! This is a great way to move around with this creature that isn't very fast underwater, but a bit faster on land.

While in the air with the cannonball launch the crab will hide inside the shell to be ready in case it hits any enemy in the way! And talking about enemies, the ones that are hit by the shell while in cannon ball mode you receive damage and any of the extra buff implemented by the shell being used at the moment.

I had the idea of making them be able to stick and launch themselves from walls, but I feel like this could be... A bit too much.

-CAN THE CRAB SWIM UNDERWATER?-

Yes, but with the shell, the speed is very bad, so the CANNON BALL move will be a better option, byt WITHOUT the shell the swimming speed is way better, but you're WAY too vulnerable.

-CAN YOU DECIDE THE DISTANCE OF THE CANNONBALL JUMP?-

Yes, you'll be able to decide the distance by pressing "W" and "S" to push back or retrieve a bit.

-CAN YOU CHANGE THE DIRECTION WHILE LAUNCHED?-

You'll be able to use the MOUSE or A/D to change the direction while on air, but NOT TOO MUCH, so aim carefully.

3 - SHELL EXPLOSION 💥

ESCAPE_SHADOW.png

The Shell has a health that when it reaches 0, it'll make the shell explode and leave the crab vulnerable! ... Luckily, the Hermit Crabs have evolved to create a last-moment escape!
When the shell's health reaches 0, it'll explode, throwing pieces around that'll stunt the enemies for a few seconds and give the crab a speed boost to escape! ( Don't think you'll Baryonyx this, because without the shell, the crab takes MORE damage than usual, so don't risk this! ).
But how will the crab escape at sucking slow speed, you ask? Well, in these years of evolution, the Hermit Crabs got blessed by mother nature with a pair of back legs that help it swim faster to escape! It allows the crab to swim normally and pretty fast! ( At least faster than a Mega ).
Sadly, it's of no use when the crab has the shell on.

-HOW TO RECOVER THE SHELL AFTER IT EXPLODED?-

Finding a new shell isn't easy, so your crab will need a couple of seconds to find one.
The player will need to get out of the creature, the crab then will INSTANTLY dig into the ground for a new shell, then come out with a new one! But without any of the buffs, that'll have to be implemented again.

-DOES THE SPEED BOOST APPLY IF I RUN OUT OF RESOURCES?-

Yes, but there's a delay to it, so you'll be able to time a speed boost, but at the cost of not getting another for some considerable amount of time.

HIDING MODE

gifmaker_me_2.gif

The Giant Hermit Crab has the ability to hide itself inside of it's shell, like the Doedicurus, and when it's hidden, it's defense increase by a good amount! Sadly it can't attack when hidden, so the Crab waits for the attacker to give up, or it use different shells that damages, inflicts knockback or torpor onto the attacker when they hit, making them run away after some time.

UNIQUE FEATURES

BARYONYX STUN IMMUNITY 

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

While at the hiding mode, the crab also becomes immune to the BARYONYX STUN, but as you know, the crab can't attack back when hiding, so the survivor could have a different shell that would damage the enemy in some way equipped or wait for other tames to dealt with it.

•CANNOT BE GRABBED/UNMOUNTED BY CREATURES

Due to the player being protected by the giant shell, no creatures can pick the player, such as Kapros and Flyers, or even be unmounted by creatures such as Microraptor.

•CANNOT USE WEAPONS WHEN MOUNTED

The Hermit crab has a really strong and protective shell, so the player taught the crab to do a little hole in it so the player can see inside of it... But at the cost of not being able to shoot and use any weapons while inside.

• THE CRAB WILL CLEAN IT'S EYES.
Yes.

7tbvl6.gif

WHY SHOULD THE GIANT HERMIT CRAB BE ADDED IN THE CENTER?

The Giant Hermit Crab not only adds more life to the Ocean, something that is very needed in Ark, but also to the beaches! They'll add new ways to explore and survive on this map, that is mostly Ocean, with it's new Shell Switching mechanic, It'll change the game for PVP and PVE players! You'll be able to explore caves and mountains with the Crystal Shell to inflict knockback into enemies or even protect a tame on land or underwater; Go on a rampage with the Obsidian Shell and Claws; Tame underwater creatures with the amazing Bio Toxin Shell; Collect Resouces with the Metal Shell and Claw and travel through The Center with the Cannonball jump!

So this is it, the Giant Hermit Crab! This creature may look complex to some, but I believe some time using it could really simplify things. Every shell has different designs to help enemies identify them from a distance and the switching of shell types has an equip/clean animation in between so the players can't abuse it!
... And if anything feels too op or doesn't need to be here, tell me! You guys are as hardcore as me, surely!

Also, we must keep the cleaning eye animation!

ARK_SURVIVAL_ASCENDED.png

Edited by TheEnderBuilder445

29 replies to this server topic

esta buena la idea de las habilidades de este cangrejo, me gustaría que llegara a la segunda etapa de la votación pero viendo que ya es tarde para que logre conseguir los votos para entrar al top 10... (o quizas aun se pueda, quien sabe)

espero que vuelvas a publicar este dino en la siguiente votación apenas las abran (si es en Aberration no creo que la gente lo quiera ya que tenemos al Karkinos)