Poll: should the official servers be shut down sooner than planned?

nameless

When would you rather it to be?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. If steam official servers are to be shut down, when would you rather it to be?

• Now
    • In about 1 month
    • In about 2 month
    • In about 4 month (announced time)

First of all, this proposal is based on the assumption that all official servers are to be shut down at due time. 

In other words, this is not a discussion about whether it is a good thing for the ARKs to end.

I acknowledge that this may be a pointless poll, since Wild Card probably not see it. Even if they do, they will probably not care.

I also acknowledge a few reasons that why people may want the servers to shut down as late as possible and not before due time. You could add more.

1. There are projects that they still want to complete in ark.

2. They may want to experience more multiplayer aspects of the game.

The following are my personal reasons of hoping that, if the ARK will shutdown within about 4 months, then I would rather it to be earlier.  You could also add more.

1. In 5 months, I expect people will leave or reduce maintenance efforts. By the time when the save files are released, they will be filled with empty bases and perhaps empty servers. If I were to use these save files as my memory of ARK, I would rather it not contain such a depressed scene.

2. Obviously, I still need to maintain my own base for months if I want it to be in the save files.

3. Since people will probably leave, multiplayer aspect of current official servers plummets 

4. If there are players who want to start their private servers using the ARK save files, they would be able to do it sooner if they get the files sooner.

They should shut down just the few legacy and those very low played/uplayed. They should did that multiple time per year.... They never cared about servers review (ie: closing unneeded wasting resources and opening new on overpopulated maps).

But hell, there are people still wanna finish playing the game and enjoy the game in the few remaining months, putting a part other games (especially SP games) and trying to get most of the ARK experience.... Even if ASA would an amazing port ect, expansions and DLC will take months to 1 year to come out.. and hell you must be really insane if you think that this time Wildcard will respect their own timeline xD

I think that the best way to do it would be to keep the Ark: SE servers up until Ark 2 comes out. That way people would have a smoother transition from Evolved to Ascended, and both would run in tandem. It would also make them see it as less of a cash grab, considering that is what most people seem to be upset about.

On the other hand, if they place any expiration date on the servers, no matter how far away, it would make people not want to play as much. So it might be better to just rip the band-aid off now.

Basically, there are 3 choices, and every Ark player will have to choose one:

1) Switch from official to singleplayer/unofficial.

2) Start anew on Ark Ascended.

3) Quit Ark entirely.

If you were to extend the shutdown day, you'd just be delaying destiny.

Dread it, run from it, destiny arrives all the same.

On 4/4/2023 at 6:05 AM, TimeBomb2003 said:

On the other hand, if they place any expiration date on the servers, no matter how far away, it would make people not want to play as much. So it might be better to just rip the band-aid off now.

I guess the shutdown countdown just made people who play ARK official as a habit reconsider the if it is worth it to go on. At least it is so in my case.  Used to play ARK when ever I had a bit of time without thinking too much. Now that it is shutting down, and I have 4 months of time to decide whether to start anew or quit, it really start to make me reconsider if the game is still worth playing. Not to mention the extra payment for ASA, that really tilted the scale.

On 4/3/2023 at 6:02 PM, GrumpyBear said:

I for one can't wait to go through random official server game saves and see how many dinos I can find with ancestries that link back to my breeding projects.

Find my servers,in extinction have around 3k dinos,3 cryofridges with pet lights,some lvl 1 gigas,gachas,unicorns,rexes.

8 hours ago, Thekuervito said:

Find my servers,in extinction have around 3k dinos,3 cryofridges with pet lights,some lvl 1 gigas,gachas,unicorns,rexes.

On the server save download page. I cant seem to download the saves atm. I now have my hardcore server save for HardcorePvE450 in SP. I will have to choose between my harcore server save with all dinos still have names and the current official ISL server save, dinos dont have names anymore! to get into my SP...

Who says that page is gonig to work when they will put the current active server saves online!

Also, back in the day (?2018?) I also downloaded the SE file for the hardcore server and tried to get it into my SP, but I couldnt get it to work!
Maybe thats me, but there might be a chance those server saves aint even going to work...

Archived