Let's talk wyvern milk

itachi11115

Alright, so the other day I stole my first wyvern eggs. I knew from research that I needed wyvern milk to feed them and based on my previos experiences raising dinos, I was stressing about that. I built a big fancy trap, went out of my way trying to catch a few different wyverns. Every time they somehow evaded my trap and I ended up having to kill them. So finally I decided my snow owl probably has more than enough stamina to just heal them up. Well, I've now raised over six wyverns without even a single drop of milk, and that's at normal maturation speed. 

So, not only does the milk make absolutely no sense because wyverns are not mammals and also why in God's name would you not be able to get them from a tamed female who just had a baby

But also you don't even actually need them for anything. Am I missing something here? What's the point of this garbage? Why did I waste so much time trying to get it?

1 hour ago, itachi11115 said:

Alright, so the other day I stole my first wyvern eggs. I knew from research that I needed wyvern milk to feed them and based on my previos experiences raising dinos, I was stressing about that. I built a big fancy trap, went out of my way trying to catch a few different wyverns. Every time they somehow evaded my trap and I ended up having to kill them. So finally I decided my snow owl probably has more than enough stamina to just heal them up. Well, I've now raised over six wyverns without even a single drop of milk, and that's at normal maturation speed. So, not only does the milk make absolutely no sense because wyverns are not mammals and also why in God's name would you not be able to get them from a tamed female who just had a baby But also you don't even actually need them for anything. Am I missing something here? What's the point of this garbage? Why did I waste so much time trying to get it?

If you was on official, you would get it. Taking....I unno, 6 real days? to raise a wyvern to full adulthood. And thats if its out and not in a cryopod at any point in time. 
Also wyverns of all types can ask for wyvern milk as a imprint request. And this was implemented into the game before cryopods was part of the game, so there was no way to 're-roll" an imprint request. Either you did it and get the full imprint, or you did not get the full imprint. 

22 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

If you was on official, you would get it. Taking....I unno, 6 real days? to raise a wyvern to full adulthood. And thats if its out and not in a cryopod at any point in time. 
Also wyverns of all types can ask for wyvern milk as a imprint request. And this was implemented into the game before cryopods was part of the game, so there was no way to 're-roll" an imprint request. Either you did it and get the full imprint, or you did not get the full imprint. 

Yeah, didn't imprint on the ones that needed milk. That much is true. But like I said, the maturation speed is on the vanilla setting. Do official servers have it set even higher? I've only played single player so I wouldn't know

1 hour ago, itachi11115 said:

So finally I decided my snow owl probably has more than enough stamina to just heal them up. Well, I've now raised over six wyverns without even a single drop of milk, and that's at normal maturation speed.

Personaly I like the owl methode too. But it is time consuming and risky. The moment you are out of render the health drop is unreliable, like when I'm at base the owl interval is way longer than when I'm going out hunting/gathering/trapping. It realy sucks to get the message your kids died instantly the moment you return to base thinking you still had 15 minutes on the timer...

Feeding (both milk and crystal) is more reliable without the need of being in render or even online all the time.

4 hours ago, itachi11115 said:

Yeah, didn't imprint on the ones that needed milk. That much is true. But like I said, the maturation speed is on the vanilla setting. Do official servers have it set even higher? I've only played single player so I wouldn't know

Oh yeah, its scary compared to SP.......SP might take, I unno, a day? On official, its at least a week.

I was able to get on for a short time period and just a yuty was going to take 5 days minimum. 

3 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Oh yeah, its scary compared to SP.......SP might take, I unno, a day? On official, its at least a week.

I was able to get on for a short time period and just a yuty was going to take 5 days minimum. 

That's insane lol I don't get why people even bother putting in the effort in that case. I barely have the patience for breeding on single player

6 hours ago, itachi11115 said:

That's insane lol I don't get why people even bother putting in the effort in that case. I barely have the patience for breeding on single player

Its defiantly an accomplishment, thats for sure. Many respects for those who sat there for months on end, breeding and baby sitting for mutations and doing it the right way instead of a quick sloppy job. 

I run my own dedicated servers with no mods and mostly official vanilla Small Tribes settings. I have in the past fiddled with the maturation rates. If I remember correctly at a x6 rate and a relatively high level wyvern that had a big food stat to start with, the thing could grow to adult without any intervention (no food - no healing).
At x3 a similar stat needed like 1 or maybe 2 feeds to go through. I think this is what I run now - dunno what official Small Tribes is at this moment.

As @Cowgirl said, on single player (or a dedicated server that you can bring down when you want to) the midnight wait for feeding kinda goes away - unlike official. And with that control of being able to switch the clock off when you want to, the healing by Owl or Pig is very viable. I have done it LOTS.

There is a simple wyvern trap that is very much OK to use. Don't remember the dude that posted it over the web, but google "simple wyvern trap". No buttons or gates or complex stuff at all - just 98% works!

image.png.1820ef51d1dadc8367a55a4f29bfa8f6.png

6 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

There is a simple wyvern trap that is very much OK to use. Don't remember the dude that posted it over the web, but google "simple wyvern trap". No buttons or gates or complex stuff at all - just 98% works!

Fatdog is a master collector/creator of low budget traps and has excellent "how to build" content on YouTube.

Getting milk is actually really easy.

Forget traps just net the Wyv. With a good long neck and shock darts you can ko them before the net breaks.

I never raised a Wyv before lost island because I thought it would be a long arduous process but it's actually not hard at all.

A high level needs milk maybe twice before it's fully grown.

6 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Getting milk is actually really easy. Forget traps just net the Wyv. With a good long neck and shock darts you can ko them before the net breaks. I never raised a Wyv before lost island because I thought it would be a long arduous process but it's actually not hard at all. A high level needs milk maybe twice before it's fully grown.

Back in the days of my first run at SE, before we adjusted rates and before wildcard adjusted their rates, yeah it was a bit of a chore. Typically we needed a stack of 5 just for one draggy. 2 before imprint, 2 for imprints, and 1 just in case, but now its really easy even on solo default settings. Which is nice cause sometimes getting a female to spawn in is rather tricky let alone a low level or such.

17 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Forget traps just net the Wyv. With a good long neck and shock darts you can ko them before the net breaks.

I never raised a Wyv before lost island because I thought it would be a long arduous process but it's actually not hard at all.

OK - I ain't tried a net on a wyvern ... Good Chirp!

But that way you can still get cooked / electrocuted / whatever if you miss a bit w the net .... Traps are for the old farts like me that ain't got twitch skill no more ;)

15 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

OK - I ain't tried a net on a wyvern ... Good Chirp!

But that way you can still get cooked / electrocuted / whatever if you miss a bit w the net .... Traps are for the old farts like me that ain't got twitch skill no more ;)

You dont really need the aim of a 12 year old on mountain dew when the wyverns fly at you in a straight line and are the size of a bus, but whatever works for you.

On 2/9/2022 at 5:06 PM, St1ckyBandit said:

Haven't even attempted to get an amargasaurus yet, I've heard they're a pain lol

8 hours ago, itachi11115 said:

Haven't even attempted to get an amargasaurus yet, I've heard they're a pain lol

Quite honestly, not even sure if I will try myself.....Crappy DPS, only important feature is for PvP, and not tanky enough to deal with large-medium to large creatures. Yeah, they do have the veggie cakes advantage, but thats all thats going for them.

Archived