Do you have to log in every day to enjoy this game?

eirik1993

Hello Survivors!

I'm really hooked just by looking at this game and I can't wait for the game to release on the PS4 in June. :x I have a question:

I'm a student with a part time job. I love gaming, but my classes and schedule often makes it impossible for me to play the game every day. The thing is, I have read that people log off at night time and log on the evening after, realizing they've been raided - and this happens all the time (?).

Sometimes I'm able to play many days in a row, and other times there might be several weeks between each time I manage to get in a gaming session. So I am afraid it will ruin my experience if I have to constantly log in and play the game to prevent myself from losing everything I have achieved while playing - because I will not be able to do that. And to start over each time would get me nowhere - and be frustrating...

Thanky if you answer. Much appreciated. :)

• Volunteer Moderator

if you play on a PVP server you will need to login much more often, and will stand the chance of losing everything at any point in time. given your schedule i would recommend either single player or find a private PVE server.

***while [Con]STANTINE has a well written post, and brings up some good points, it is opinion (from a PVP standpoint), and that is decidedly not everything you need to know about Ark (my opinion).

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, eirik1993 said:

Hello Survivors!

I'm really hooked just by looking at this game and I can't wait for the game to release on the PS4 in June. :x I have a question:

I'm a student with a part time job. I love gaming, but my classes and schedule often makes it impossible for me to play the game every day. The thing is, I have read that people log off at night time and log on the evening after, realizing they've been raided - and this happens all the time (?).

Sometimes I'm able to play many days in a row, and other times there might be several weeks between each time I manage to get in a gaming session. So I am afraid it will ruin my experience if I have to constantly log in and play the game to prevent myself from losing everything I have achieved while playing - because I will not be able to do that. And to start over each time would get me nowhere - and be frustrating...

Thanky if you answer. Much appreciated. :)

Depends on the server you are on.

For SP, should never be an issue, as the game stops when you do.

Official PVP - The risk is very high that you will be raided; but there are servers where that is less likely.

Official PVE - You cannot be raided.  The biggest risk is someone using pillar or foundations in or around your base, to limit your ability to build.  But, proper planning can limit that.

For Private, it will be based on the server rules, and the vigilence of the admins.  Some private servers do not allow PVO(or PVD) or even KOS; they want PVP to be more personal and/or conscensual.  For private PVE, pillaring and foundation spamming is usually not allowed, and admins will either warn or ban the offending party, and then clean up the mess.

ETA:  If you have Gigas or Quetzals, you will want to log on 1 or 2 times a week, just to make sure they are fed; especially gigas.

Join a high rates unofficial server, like x10 rates.

You'll get a general feel of the game. Then if you think that's too easy switch to some other server with lower rates. Find a server that gives you some kind of an accomplishment for the time invested. 

If you like making big bases and having lots of dinos stick to PvE

If you can live in a hidden hut with just a few basic dinos you can try PvP servers. Forget you'll survive long on a pvp server solo/not playing often.

What's good about this game is that it literally has thousands of servers and you'll be able to find one that matches your playstyle.

Also leaving the game for a week or two is not a biggie on PvE servers. Just make sure there's food for your dinos before you leave.

If it's longer you can ask someone to feed your dinos while you're away.

25 minutes ago, Pclav said:

Join a high rates unofficial server, like x10 rates.

You'll get a general feel of the game. Then if you think that's too easy switch to some other server with lower rates. Find a server that gives you some kind of an accomplishment for the time invested. 

If you like making big bases and having lots of dinos stick to PvE

If you can live in a hidden hut with just a few basic dinos you can try PvP servers. Forget you'll survive long on a pvp server solo/not playing often.

What's good about this game is that it literally has thousands of servers and you'll be able to find one that matches your playstyle.

Also leaving the game for a week or two is not a biggie on PvE servers. Just make sure there's food for your dinos before you leave.

If it's longer you can ask someone to feed your dinos while you're away.

If you leave the game for 2 weeks I'm pretty sure your Dinos and stuff will all be claimed or destroyed when you get back. Even on pve

Best bet, like said, is to either do a single player, start your own dedicated server, or join someone else dedicated server that has rules against offline raiding or something like that.  There are still options, but if you are not going to be playing steadily, I would strongly recommend against official servers.  Nothing worse than logging in, finally, to play and all your stuff is gone.  

I monitored our PVE base, which had probably 50 or so animals, electricity, irrigation, etc.  after we started our dedicated just to see what would happen.  We put no work at all into the old base once we started our own server.  I was just curious.

Within a few days, the vast majority of our animals were killed.  Within the first week (I don't remember the exact time frames at this point) our generators, all of our chests, our smithy, fabricator, lights, etc. were demolished.  By day 9 or so, I logged in, and didn't even have a bed remaining, and I'm guessing what little remained of our structures was destroyed because I spawned in on the beach.  

4 minutes ago, D4u2s0t said:

Best bet, like said, is to either do a single player, start your own dedicated server, or join someone else dedicated server that has rules against offline raiding or something like that.  There are still options, but if you are not going to be playing steadily, I would strongly recommend against official servers.  Nothing worse than logging in, finally, to play and all your stuff is gone.  

I monitored our PVE base, which had probably 50 or so animals, electricity, irrigation, etc.  after we started our dedicated just to see what would happen.  We put no work at all into the old base once we started our own server.  I was just curious.

Within a few days, the vast majority of our animals were killed.  Within the first week (I don't remember the exact time frames at this point) our generators, all of our chests, our smithy, fabricator, lights, etc. were demolished.  By day 9 or so, I logged in, and didn't even have a bed remaining, and I'm guessing what little remained of our structures was destroyed because I spawned in on the beach.  

We did the same exact thing. It's funny how quick people are to be vultures. We ended up just emptying all our chests, kibble fridge and smithys and letting the stuff in them just decompose.  

47 minutes ago, Rickyh24 said:

If you leave the game for 2 weeks I'm pretty sure your Dinos and stuff will all be claimed or destroyed when you get back. Even on pve

Depends on the server settings :) That's why I mentioned unofficial servers that suit his needs. On the one i played it was 2? weeks till thatch structures were getting destroyed and a month or 6 weeks [can't remember] for stone.

Thank you guys.

I'm afraid the game is too time consuming for me then... I think the PvP is big part of the fun, but still, so annoying that I would have to log in every two or three days to avoid losing everything. Personally I find it weird that they have not found some kind of system so that you at least would be able to make sure part of your work is safe...

1 hour ago, Jerryn said:

Depends on the server you are on.

For SP, should never be an issue, as the game stops when you do.

Official PVP - The risk is very high that you will be raided; but there are servers where that is less likely.

Official PVE - You cannot be raided.  The biggest risk is someone using pillar or foundations in or around your base, to limit your ability to build.  But, proper planning can limit that.

For Private, it will be based on the server rules, and the vigilence of the admins.  Some private servers do not allow PVO(or PVD) or even KOS; they want PVP to be more personal and/or conscensual.  For private PVE, pillaring and foundation spamming is usually not allowed, and admins will either warn or ban the offending party, and then clean up the mess.

ETA:  If you have Gigas or Quetzals, you will want to log on 1 or 2 times a week, just to make sure they are fed; especially gigas.

I couldn't find any SP, where are they or what are they called? All the servers I've tried are build on everywhere, and even though people have bene nice so far, it's a bit annoying when there is stuff built everywhere, + most dinos are lvl 40+, so the only once I have a chance with are the Dodos

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, Dida said:

I couldn't find any SP, where are they or what are they called? All the servers I've tried are build on everywhere, and even though people have bene nice so far, it's a bit annoying when there is stuff built everywhere, + most dinos are lvl 40+, so the only once I have a chance with are the Dodos

SP = Single Player.  You can play that on your own PC or XBox, instead of logging into another server.

26 minutes ago, eirik1993 said:

Thank you guys.

I'm afraid the game is too time consuming for me then... I think the PvP is big part of the fun, but still, so annoying that I would have to log in every two or three days to avoid losing everything. Personally I find it weird that they have not found some kind of system so that you at least would be able to make sure part of your work is safe...

You could just join a tribe on a PvP server. Just find one that is ok with you not playing every single day. 

1 hour ago, eirik1993 said:

Thank you guys.

You can play on player hosted servers that do not allow offline raiding.  Win win.  

O.p. To answer your question.. No You don't have to login everyday to play this game.. What you need to do is identify the time you do have and pick a play style that matches your available time.  

FROM what I'm seeing from you

Single player would be the best experience for you to play ark at this time..  in this mode when you log off there is no persistent world everything stops when you the player leaves.  This is not the case on ALL other modes.. hope that helps.

4 hours ago, eirik1993 said:

Thank you guys.

There is a mod preventing offline raiding, so that'd solve that issue.

Again we're going back to finding a server which would accommodate for your playstyle.

So far we know you'd like a PvP server, with offline base protection, increased demo time and possibly decreased dino hunger [and increased taming rates to offset the hunger].

11 hours ago, eirik1993 said:

Thank you guys.

Play a PvPvE server. There are set raiding times, no offline raiding, etc. If you find a nice 3x or 5x server the game loses most of the grind as well. 

It's almost as if people that have jobs and families should have trouble playing this game the official way... How are you supposed to PvP with a busy schedule? I work for myself and plan my own hours and thus have enough time... how about people that work 50 hours a day, have to feed families, keep social contacts and yet want to play this game... You have the option of single player. But... you can't learn all the engrams, you level up slowly, you build slowly, you have to tame everything yourself. Overall this game is not made for single player, and in my experience after about 100 hours (what...regarding the price, is fine) single player is boring, lifeless and lonely. 
The AI is just too stupid to make Single player fun, the survival aspects are too simple to make it challenging after level 25 (unless you make it more difficult for yourself, by capping yourself from parts of the game, like flyers) and grinding... well is a real bad grind. 

So if your options are: official, un-official, SP or SotF... i would say: pick a SP to start off and get to know the game, but as soon as you are fine with your base, go to an un-offical PvPvE or SotF...but stay away from anything official. 

My tip... focus on getting to the fabricator asap, to build a fridge asap. as soon as you got a fab and fridge, you will only need to login for a few minutes, move some food from the fridge to the feeding trough and log out again. Like this you can minimize the amount of time you HAVE to be logged in. 

You won't survive on official pvp. Unofficial is the only way to play PvP. Imagine.... You spend 5hours taming a dinosaur (the highest level of that dino) which you take a long time to get the taming kibble for. Then next day you log in and it's dead from overnight raid. After that I went to pve. I play sotf for PvP action (not sure if they well port that to console). 

Of course you can always find a tribe that doesn't mindy Part time members. Tribes make the game a lot better

2 hours ago, eirik1993 said:

Thanks everyone.

I guess I will wait and see if they find a solution to this before game relase in June. Maybe they find a way to include those who are not able to play everyday...

Fingers crossed.

After reading all these wonderful replies, I think Pclav has the best answer to resolving your questions/concerns. I would bet there is a server(s) designed for players such as yourself. See what Pclav wrote below.

On 4/20/2016 at 3:04 PM, Pclav said:

There is a mod preventing offline raiding, so that'd solve that issue.

Again we're going back to finding a server which would accommodate for your playstyle.

So far we know you'd like a PvP server, with offline base protection, increased demo time and possibly decreased dino hunger [and increased taming rates to offset the hunger].

Now all you need to do is find a server like this...and that may be the most difficult part of the process. I suggest you venture over the the Server Advertisement section of the forums and peak around there.

Good luck! God's Speed!

Edit: oh...PS4.  I'm not sure how much this will apply if PS4 doesn't have private servers. Being a ARK PC owner, i have no experience with the console versions and what they have/dont have Vs. the PC version. I hope this information helps.

Archived