Basilisk Taming Efficiency

Doth

3 hours ago, Doth said:

Is there anyway to not lose a ton of taming efficiency when taming a basilisk. Mine always get like 50% because they take so long to eat the next egg.

It took me some figuring out as well but here's some tips.

1: Don't let it burrow, if it burrows it looses efficiency. You HAVE to maintain aggro throughout the whole tame.

2: Don't hit it, or let it be hit by any wild dinos.

My solution works excellent. Find a wild Basilisk that's burrowed with its tail sticking out. Using stone dino gates, make an octagon around the basilisk using the snap points provided. (Build while riding a spino or drake to keep aggro off of you). Then make a pillar tower as close to the gates as you can on the outside, and make it roughly 7 high. Then snap as many ceilings as you can/want above the trap. Be sure to include a few trap door ceilings to look through so it keeps aggro on you since it can't see you through the ceiling.

*note* You can't get hit by it's basic attack, but you will get damaged by it's smoke cloud so bring a gas mask or a few hazard helmets

Land your drake up top above the basil on the ceilings with your extra drake eggs in it's inventory, hop off, and you will hold aggro without getting hit. Just throw eggs down at it. I've 100% a few Basilisks doing this.

For an extra safety measure, park a Ravager with high HP outside of the trap out of basic attack range. Then if aggro falls off you for some reason, it will aggro your ravager and prevent it from burrowing. Be sure the ravager is on passive ofc lol.

8 hours ago, WolfBrink said:

It took me some figuring out as well but here's some tips.

1: Don't let it burrow, if it burrows it looses efficiency. You HAVE to maintain aggro throughout the whole tame.

2: Don't hit it, or let it be hit by any wild dinos.

My solution works excellent. Find a wild Basilisk that's burrowed with its tail sticking out. Using stone dino gates, make an octagon around the basilisk using the snap points provided. (Build while riding a spino or drake to keep aggro off of you). Then make a pillar tower as close to the gates as you can on the outside, and make it roughly 7 high. Then snap as many ceilings as you can/want above the trap. Be sure to include a few trap door ceilings to look through so it keeps aggro on you since it can't see you through the ceiling.

*note* You can't get hit by it's basic attack, but you will get damaged by it's smoke cloud so bring a gas mask or a few hazard helmets

Land your drake up top above the basil on the ceilings with your extra drake eggs in it's inventory, hop off, and you will hold aggro without getting hit. Just throw eggs down at it. I've 100% a few Basilisks doing this.

For an extra safety measure, park a Ravager with high HP outside of the trap out of basic attack range. Then if aggro falls off you for some reason, it will aggro your ravager and prevent it from burrowing. Be sure the ravager is on passive ofc lol.

Thank you so much. I'll try this tomorrow!

1 hour ago, Doth said:

Thank you so much. I'll try this tomorrow!

No problem, hope it works for ya! The basilisk spends a lot of time attacking the dino gates which keeps it occupied so it doesn't burrow. On top of you poking your head out now and then dropping an egg, and if you have a ravager parked nearby, you should never lose the aggro. All together you should need 8 dino gates, 7-9 pillars, 11 ceilings/hatchframes. If You want to build a bigger upper platform that extends away from the trap for parking your rock drake and giving you more room go on ahead.

I reuse my trap. I just destroy 1 dino gate when I'm done and lure another in before replacing the gate. I came up with the design so I'm sure there's room for improvement on it.

Put a screenshot of your trap up, I recreated it and watched my taming effeciency drop from 98.8% to 80.6%on the 3rd egg eaten and that's without a single burrow once the process had begun. Seems to be more so how much time passes between each eaten egg as I struggeled quite a bit to get the 3rd egg eaten but the 4th one was just eaten and my taming effectiveness only went down to 80%.

Just tamed out with 59 bonus levels on a 150, TE is lost purely based on how much time passes between feedings.

I placed 4 stone dino gates in a square around a buried basilisk while riding a crab. Then dropped a few drake eggs on the buried basi, stepped back 5-10 meters, dismounted crab. It aggroed on me but very soon focused on biting one of the dino gates. I walked farther away from the basi, it deaggroed and ate an egg. As soon as it ate the egg I went back into the 5-10 meter range and dismounted the crab. I kept standing on my crab to maintain aggro. To get the basi to eat the next egg I walked farther away from the basi again, but too soon (because Dododex said 2:11 minutes between feedings), so it buried and lost efficiency. Then a second time. I just didn't know how long to wait. Must have been 5 minutes or so until it ate the next egg.

• 2 months later...

I have not had much luck trying to trap the basilisks, however I have found a method that is much cheaper and easier and I have gotten many basilisks this way. The best part is, all it costs is one zipline and can be set up almost anywhere

1. Make a zipline on to a structure above.

2. Have a hazard helmet on to counter the poison. At least until you get used to it have one or two extra helmets in your inventory.

3. Lure the Basilisk to get directly under the zipline and sit above it's head just out of melee range on the zipline with a ravager. (This way they will not shoot poison because you are close and at the same time you are just out of melee range) it takes some time to get used to it but it once you do, taming is easy.

4. Just drop eggs at will and as long as you keep wild Dino's away then it will sit there until tamed.

(Also, dododex has timer wrong. It is about 4 mins 10 secs between each egg.)

Hope this helps!

10 hours ago, Sneakysmegal said:

I have not had much luck trying to trap the basilisks, however I have found a method that is much cheaper and easier and I have gotten many basilisks this way. The best part is, all it costs is one zipline and can be set up almost anywhere

1. Make a zipline on to a structure above.

2. Have a hazard helmet on to counter the poison. At least until you get used to it have one or two extra helmets in your inventory.

3. Lure the Basilisk to get directly under the zipline and sit above it's head just out of melee range on the zipline with a ravager. (This way they will not shoot poison because you are close and at the same time you are just out of melee range) it takes some time to get used to it but it once you do, taming is easy.

4. Just drop eggs at will and as long as you keep wild Dino's away then it will sit there until tamed.

(Also, dododex has timer wrong. It is about 4 mins 10 secs between each egg.)

Hope this helps!

Probably should also add that since Basilisk spit is the same as that of Poison Wyvern spit, Gas Mask work as well, albiet a bit more exp, but should give you more than enough time if you are getting constantly hit by it.

On 2/24/2018 at 5:09 AM, Cors said:

Just tamed out with 59 bonus levels on a 150, TE is lost purely based on how much time passes between feedings.

Yes, you are correct, if too much time passes between egg eating, TE does drop. 

I also have experienced this on a few 150's and it is frustrating to say the least.

Not sure of your trap set-up, but this usually occurs from a few factors.

Granted we have not fully confirmed any of these, but when we follow the following we are able to get PTs every time.

1. Make sure you are dropping eggs from your PERSONAL inventory, NOT a Dino.

2. DO not place more than one egg down at a time, they seem to get confused at times and cannot decide which one to eat.

3. Whoever places down the first egg for them to eat, they need to be the one that places the rest of the eggs down.

4. Place next egg down immediately after an egg is eaten.

5. If you are using gateways for your trap, need to ensure the eggs are reachable by the Basilik. We use small dino gateways for the majority of the trap and a Behemoth Gateway/Gate to get them onto the gate. DO NOT place eggs outside of the Dino gateways, they need to be inside the gateway. DO NOT place them up against the Behemoth Gates. They need to be placed somewhere in the center of the trap.

6. DO NOT sit on your Drake/Spino/Reaper. You should be on the ground at all times, not on your mount.

7. Set up a bed close to your trap so you can spawn back right away if/when you die.

8. Have another dino with high health parked outside of bite range/ within visual sight of the trap. This maintains agro for a short time if you die and can get respawned on the bed.

9. Run around the trap and get it to aggro on you quite often, do not let it aggro on the trap entire time.

When we follow these guidelines we get PT every time.

Just waiting to find another 150. Last one we lost over half of the levels before we developed these guidelines.

Our best is a PT 135 Easter. It ROCKS, it will have +13,000 weight once we level it up.

Here are some of the Basilisks we tamed in the last Event. Also, continued on Page 4. GOt around 12 total

Yes, you are correct, if too much time passes between egg eating, TE does drop. 
I also have experienced this on a few 150's and it is frustrating to say the least.
Not sure of your trap set-up, but this usually occurs from a few factors.
Granted we have not fully confirmed any of these, but when we follow the following we are able to get PTs every time.
1. Make sure you are dropping eggs from your PERSONAL inventory, NOT a Dino.
2. DO not place more than one egg down at a time, they seem to get confused at times and cannot decide which one to eat.
3. Whoever places down the first egg for them to eat, they need to be the one that places the rest of the eggs down.
4. Place next egg down immediately after an egg is eaten.
5. If you are using gateways for your trap, need to ensure the eggs are reachable by the Basilik. We use small dino gateways for the majority of the trap and a Behemoth Gateway/Gate to get them onto the gate. DO NOT place eggs outside of the Dino gateways, they need to be inside the gateway. DO NOT place them up against the Behemoth Gates. They need to be placed somewhere in the center of the trap.
6. DO NOT sit on your Drake/Spino/Reaper. You should be on the ground at all times, not on your mount.
7. Set up a bed close to your trap so you can spawn back right away if/when you die.
8. Have another dino with high health parked outside of bite range/ within visual sight of the trap. This maintains agro for a short time if you die and can get respawned on the bed.
9. Run around the trap and get it to aggro on you quite often, do not let it aggro on the trap entire time.
When we follow these guidelines we get PT every time.
Just waiting to find another 150. Last one we lost over half of the levels before we developed these guidelines.
Our best is a PT 135 Easter. It ROCKS, it will have +13,000 weight once we level it up.

Here are some of the Basilisks we tamed in the last Event. Also, continued on Page 4. GOt around 12 total

Nice basis! I'll post a link to my steam pics and have a few screenshots of mine that I got although you can see the pink from my profile.

• 2 weeks later...

I got one with almost max efficiency (going by dododex).  I think I lost 1% because there was a couple seconds where he seemed to not be in attack mode, but I probably got a bit too far away at one point or something.  Anyway I put a 5x4 pillar box with the pillars 12 tall around him when he was in the ground, then dropped all the eggs just inside between two pillars (non-official server, so I didn't need to worry about egg theft)  I then got off my mount and got him agroed, then just continued to move around the outside, getting him to move and turn every so often to make sure he would find the eggs. Went through 2 gas masks, but he ate all the eggs fine.

Archived