ARK Official Servers: For all your stressed-out needs!

Fevee

I'm sure there's a sizable list of problems out there, I just wanted to mention what happened today. I WOKE UP DEAD!

I know I logged off in the safety of my own base, but I log in today to the claim that I have died. My Jerboa was missing from the room, as well. Sure, it's been a few days since I last logged in, and so I know from that that the ghillie suit and mastercraft crossbow are long gone. I fly down to the lake I often visit to find my Ankly standing around, and Jerboa floating above it, a nice me-sized space in the middle.

I would NOT have logged off there. I always put myself back in bed before logging off, I even remember the Spanish-speaking player asking me where my base was on my way up. Why did the server backpedal me back down there? Why does this game insist on stealing everything my character has? From mega-tribes hogging the server tame cap, to lag, to premature auto-decay ... to auto-decay itself, to backpedaling servers. What is the actual advantage of playing on a junk server? Other than the $2,000 Wildcard bribe for beating Abberation's boss, there is absolutely no reason to play on servers.

There is no "Advantage" to playing on Official servers. Official servers have long standingly been the butt of a huge number of jokes about the sheer mismanagement we/they enjoy. From the fact that Admins are basically mythical unicorns, to the fact that Support has an internal policy that is, basically, we don't replace, refund or compensate people for any in-game issues. 

That being said, some of us still enjoy them. Though whether that's the traumatic events we've been through in the past on Unofficial, or the simple fact that it's (Probably?) the largest connected community of players. 

As for what happened. Yeah, you probably logged off and someone rolled the server back to dupe something or another, and it rubberbanded you back down there, back to when you were, I assume, farming something. 

Is there any reason to play official? Well, in my personal opinion, outside the pride of saying you play on official, I'd say no. It'd be nice if the moderation some folks are demanding was possible, but official is always going to be the Wild West. There's no financially viable way to moderate all the servers without a subscription that no one in their right minds would play when unofficial is an alternative. Might as well try playing on unofficial for a while, especially if you've already had it with official.

5 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Is there any reason to play official? Well, in my personal opinion, outside the pride of saying you play on official, I'd say no. It'd be nice if the moderation some folks are demanding was possible, but official is always going to be the Wild West. There's no financially viable way to moderate all the servers without a subscription that no one in their right minds would play when unofficial is an alternative. Might as well try playing on unofficial for a while, especially if you've already had it with official.

Honestly. There's a middle ground to reach in the deal. I don't think anyone realistically expects an "Insane" or "Perfect" moderation team on Official, but to be frank, I've seen people stream themselves getting undermeshed for 72 hours during a work week before a completely different undermeshing group got tired of it, undermeshed, downloaded a tek mosa, and stopped it. 

Like. I can understand that moderation will always be limited due to the financial limitations, but. You know. When the most popular streamer for your game streams themselves getting undermeshed for three days when it would take any admin or developer five minutes to deal with it. It's a wee bit too far. 

I don't know what it is about official. I've tried to make the jump to u official a few times, but one of a few things happen. Usually after a week or so I get bored of the high rates and the limited amount of people coming and going compared to official or the server goes off. I know people say "just go to a server with official rates" well I don't want to play official rates and have the server go off in a month. So for now I am yet again drawn back to official. 

The lag, the rollbacks, the disconect, the griefers, that is what makes me want to always play in official. 

Let me explain, without this, me and my tames will never die, no fun there, i wanna get disconnected while stealing eggs from a nest, my tames to die once in a while so my base doesnt gets full of unused stuff, i want to lose my mc pick so i have to get another somehow. I want to lag out while i shoot tranqs to a yuty from a ledge and fall to the yuty (this happened last night while shooting a 150 yuty), or at least fear that it will happen, this keep adrenaline pumping. Without the added imminent danger of  a dc, lag spike, etc, the game will be too easy.

What will kill me on that rex with asc saddle or on my 185 raised wyvern, i even went to the desert alone on a pig to see if worms will be challenge, the daeodon destroyed the whole desert population.

Unnofficial is too easy.

I guess its the feeling that its a fair playing field? To a certain extent anyway.

I play Official for two things, I like the longevity of the game, and feeling part of a community who are similar to myself. We dont get too many people asking for anything other than a trade or a little help retrieving something whereas on an unofficial, I have come across people asking for faster rates, spawn this and that in.

People come and go on an unofficial far more often and the community weakens but its only my opinion and yes, there are issues on official but I just put up with it.

I log off naked, and pray I'm alive and everything else is too when I log back in.

1 minute ago, Anarki said:

I guess its the feeling that its a fair playing field? To a certain extent anyway.

I play Official for two things, I like the longevity of the game, and feeling part of a community who are similar to myself. We dont get too many people asking for anything other than a trade or a little help retrieving something whereas on an unofficial, I have come across people asking for faster rates, spawn this and that in.

People come and go on an unofficial far more often and the community weakens but its only my opinion and yes, there are issues on official but I just put up with it.

I log off naked, and pray I'm alive and everything else is too when I log back in.

That's what it essentially boils down to.
Whether people want to put up with it or not.
Everyone has his own preference and tolerance on what he wants to be playing.

14 hours ago, Olivar said:

It's apparently the "real" way to play the game.

Yeah, and missionary is the real way to have... :P

14 hours ago, iAmE said:

There is no "Advantage" to playing on Official servers. Official servers have long standingly been the butt of a huge number of jokes about the sheer mismanagement we/they enjoy. From the fact that Admins are basically mythical unicorns, to the fact that Support has an internal policy that is, basically, we don't replace, refund or compensate people for any in-game issues. 

There's technically one advantage, it's free and requires no learning or effort to manage... That's a huge bonus to the Reality Tv watching, McDonald's eating majority... God, the thought of living life like that makes me cringe.

12 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Is there any reason to play official? Well, in my personal opinion, outside the pride of saying you play on official, I'd say no. 

It's amazing the false realities people construct to justify their own poor decisions. ;) 

12 hours ago, iAmE said:

Honestly. There's a middle ground to reach in the deal. I don't think anyone realistically expects an "Insane" or "Perfect" moderation team on Official, but to be frank, I've seen people stream themselves getting undermeshed for 72 hours during a work week before a completely different undermeshing group got tired of it, undermeshed, downloaded a tek mosa, and stopped it. 

Like. I can understand that moderation will always be limited due to the financial limitations, but. You know. When the most popular streamer for your game streams themselves getting undermeshed for three days when it would take any admin or developer five minutes to deal with it. It's a wee bit too far. 

I don't disagree with you that it would be nice to have that, but I feel like more folks need to base their decisions on what we know to be the reality. It would really be great if Wildcard were able to increase their level of moderating official servers in a consistent and timely manner. Whether we feel it's right or wrong though, WC hasn't done that. There are plenty of potential reasons why this might be the case, but for all intents and purposes they haven't and for the foreseeable future I don't think we can expect things to change.

Until we do see that change, players have to make a decision: Do their perceived criticisms of unofficial servers outweigh their frustrations with the Wild West that is official? If so, official is still the best choice. If not, ditch the struggle and chill on unofficial for a bit. 

Again, would it be nice to have more moderation and consistency on officials? Definitely...but players need to base their server type choices on how it is, not how it should be. If WC gets better about official moderation in the future, perhaps many unofficial players might give official a try again. Until then though, we know what the reality of the situation is.

tl;dr - I agree on principle, but have adapted to reality.

17 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

Again, would it be nice to have more moderation and consistency on officials? Definitely...but players need to base their server type choices on how it is, not how it should be. If WC gets better about official moderation in the future, perhaps many unofficial players might give official a try again. Until then though, we know what the reality of the situation is.

Don't forget one of the major reasons people choose unofficial in any game is control over who plays on the server... Not having trolls & griefers is a wonderful thing.

8 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

I don't disagree with you that it would be nice to have that, but I feel like more folks need to base their decisions on what we know to be the reality. It would really be great if Wildcard were able to increase their level of moderating official servers in a consistent and timely manner. Whether we feel it's right or wrong though, WC hasn't done that. There are plenty of potential reasons why this might be the case, but for all intents and purposes they haven't and for the foreseeable future I don't think we can expect things to change.

Until we do see that change, players have to make a decision: Do their perceived criticisms of unofficial servers outweigh their frustrations with the Wild West that is official? If so, official is still the best choice. If not, ditch the struggle and chill on unofficial for a bit. 

tl;dr - I agree on principle, but have adapted to reality.

I've adapted as well, but I feel like.....well, to be fair, I feel like any regular or meaningful form of moderation, even for appearences, on a consistent basis would be good for the game.

Though overall, I simply feel like, at this point, I'm overall just advocating for the few support staff they have on staff to be given both the authority, and tools to properly do their job. Support seems both woefully understaffed, and are restricted by unnecessary barriers. I feel like the "Internal Policies" that they quote ever so constantly in their support tickets should be released to the public, and then perhaps reworked, because every ticket I have heard of being answered in, literally, the last four months has been met with "It is against internal policy for us to do anything". Lost characters. Lost Dinos. Lost items. Bases auto decaying for literally no reasons. As in whole, huge, bases. Even though someone was on in the base literal hours before it auto decayed. 

It just feels frustrating to know that there is a very small amount of people who can, financially, be devoted to the task of moderation/administration/support, and even they can't do anything because their hands are tied by arbitrary tape that is, in no way, disclosed to or understood by the community. 

Internal Policies = it looks like we are doing something but really we're just gonna mark your ticket as solved and forget about it

back on topic

was storing 2 mosa and a squid in a cave below the highlands, got a message that the wooden pillar timer that i had in a nearby friends base was nearly up

so i fly over there feed the fish and go home and log off

come back on the next day to find there had been a rollback so goodbye to the month it took to raise the squid and mosas

at least before when you could claim timed out dinos you had a chance to get them back

Archived