Trying to tame a Phoenix

Bobbywires

I’m running a cluster server on GTX featuring Ragnarok and Scorched Earth for our clan Raw-Recruits. 

My observations so far:
I don’t think they spawn in Ragnarok until the South East is opened.
On Scorched Earth they seemed to have added a reddish sky during a heat wave that wasn’t there before the Phoenix.
Make up some Calien Soup for hyperthermal insulation during the heat wave.
Very easy to spot because they fly quite high and erratic making it difficult to keep a flame thrower trained on the Phoenix.
I brought my Griffin from Ragnarok because it’s a flyer that allows a weapon to be used by the main rider but I could not keep Phoenix in range because of its erratic flight.
I don’t think a Fire Wyvern will do much better. 
Since all of the videos I have seen are using cheat spawns, I’d like to know if anyone has been successful without cheating and how it was done. 

Find the phoenix, follow it until the heat wave ends.  Build a cage where it vanished.  Wait until the next heat wave.  Tame it easily while it is trapped in the taming cage.

Very tedious and time consuming waiting for the next heat wave to occur, but that's the easiest way.

Alternatively, get a group with fire wyverns to cooperate in taming it in the air.

2 hours ago, Bobbywires said:

It seems to spawn high like a Quetzil and vanishes the same way, so a cage is not practical.

Maybe using a grappling hook like the Quetzil tame videos.

Otherwise it's going to be a clan project.   

Read what I wrote again.  Phoenixes do not die when super heat ends, they just become dormant and invisible.  When the next super heat comes, the phoenix will literally rise from its ashes in the same spot it vanished.  

The easiest, but most tedious method, is to build a cage where it despawned and tame it when it spawns again.

• 4 weeks later...

Late update ! The mod, Classic Flyers update on Oct 5th, shed some light on this Bird by allowing a config option that stops the Phoenix from going invisible. It never lands!

Just keep flying, night or day whatever the weather. All that: "find the ashes", "track where it goes down" is a bunch of hooey !   

I have tamed 5 so far. Only way it has been possible for me is to find one during heat storm, follow it till storm ends watch where the ash pile lands on the ground when it disappears. Mark the location with a pillar, go get the premade walls, ceiling etc and build a 6 high cage around it. 5 is supposed to work but i just do 6 cause its a pain and i don't want to take chances. Tried using flamethrowers, pretty useless, you break so many before you get it tamed, i use my fire wyvern.

If it is a high level you will not be able to get it tamed in a single fire storm. what happens is when the heat storm ends this time the ash pile will end up on the roof, so you will have to then build up another 5 or 6 high around that spot on the roof, fun stuff.

6 hours ago, barracks35 said:

I have tamed 5 so far. Only way it has been possible for me is to find one during heat storm, follow it till storm ends watch where the ash pile lands on the ground when it disappears. Mark the location with a pillar, go get the premade walls, ceiling etc and build a 6 high cage around it. 5 is supposed to work but i just do 6 cause its a pain and i don't want to take chances. Tried using flamethrowers, pretty useless, you break so many before you get it tamed, i use my fire wyvern.

If it is a high level you will not be able to get it tamed in a single fire storm. what happens is when the heat storm ends this time the ash pile will end up on the roof, so you will have to then build up another 5 or 6 high around that spot on the roof, fun stuff.

I wish I'd see one at all.

I've been flying around during 20+ heatwaves at least and never even seen a phoenix.

Thx a bunch for the info, it will come in handy if I ever find one. 

We successfully tamed one of official PVE (new cluster) before the flamethrower nerf. When it got close to taming one of our tribe mates "accidentally" burned us all and killed me... I think she just wanted to be the one to tame it. lol.

So what you do is wait for the heatwave to end and build a 5x5 cage at least 5 high around the ash. Use pillars in the center of each ceiling/foundation instead of walls so you can burn it easier. I normally build a floor underneath just because they almost always land on uneven ground. Makes it easier for everyone to walk around. 

When the next heat wave comes try to get it into a corner, pillar it in and burn it. Next heat wave it will spawn on top of your structure. I assume if you destroy and rebuild it will spawn on the ground, but we tamed it during 1 heatwave so I have not confirmed this. To be safe you may want to build another structure on top of your original structure.

I haven't successful tamed one, went thru a whole JM thrower and only got 16% tame *sigh* but I can tell you guys a much easier way to get it than all this following marking land and then building trap business.. build a trap, then find one and use the rare flowers to lead it to the trap. Yup, rare flowers can kite the Phoenix. Because following it and getting actuate despawn is annoying and what happens if it despawns in/near another base.. rare flowers my friends.

Seems like a lot of work for something that has no weight
Have you had one? No no don't read that wrong I'm not being a smart.. lol I mean really have you had one? Do they cook meat faster than a grill? Can you like kill with it and more less auto cook prime for example? What about metal? You said no weight, so does it not smelt it faster? I assumed this bird would be worth while for what it can do, or is it just another hard to get, useless compared to everything else dino?

44 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:
5 hours ago, jaypak said:
Seems like a lot of work for something that has no weight

Have you had one? No no don't read that wrong I'm not being a smart.. lol I mean really have you had one? Do they cook meat faster than a grill? Can you like kill with it and more less auto cook prime for example? What about metal? You said no weight, so does it not smelt it faster? I assumed this bird would be worth while for what it can do, or is it just another hard to get, useless compared to everything else dino?

all good points but where im sitting and i will bet your quite similar... my fridge is full of cooked prime, meat, cooked, jerky,,, infact i have 3 fridges and nuthing to do exept eat like 30 meat a day. how much metal can it carry before you need to take it out and dump to make it worthwhile

for me, it looks kl and can kill

all good points but where im sitting and i will bet your quite similar... my fridge is full of cooked prime, meat, cooked, jerky,,, infact i have 3 fridges and nuthing to do exept eat like 30 meat a day. how much metal can it carry before you need to take it out and dump to make it worthwhile
Actually.. talked so friends into getting into the game at launch and everything has been slow going trying to teach everything to them.. like I have gigas and stuff now but have yet to even touch Kibble with them yet.. so no fridges of meat for me and we're still using small forges! So that was why I was hoping the phoenix would be helpful for me lol..

1 hour ago, anubis3691 said:
1 hour ago, jaypak said:

Actually.. talked so friends into getting into the game at launch and everything has been slow going trying to teach everything to them.. like I have gigas and stuff now but have yet to even touch Kibble with them yet.. so no fridges of meat for me and we're still using small forges! So that was why I was hoping the phoenix would be helpful for me lol..

The work involved in getting a phoenix far outweighs the convenience you are looking for.

Archived