Introducing the Oncorhynchus!

Jatheish

• Administrator

large.Dossier_SabertoothSalmon.jpg.3d462

Common Name: Sabertooth Salmon
Species: Oncorhynchus Grexlamia
Time: Late Miocene - Mid Pleistocene
Diet: Carnivore
Temperament: Evasive; Aggressive when attacked.

Wild

Fair unremarkable by the Island’s standards, Oncorhynchus Grexlamia is a generally passive fish. Far smaller than a human, its main form of protection is swimming in a large school. Oncorhynchus does not like conflict, and generally swims away from anything larger than it at very high speeds.

Once provoked, however, Oncorhynchus becomes very aggressive along with its nearby brethren. It locks onto the aggressor with its long “saberteeth” and begins draining that creature’s blood. This loss of blood is not too dangerous alone, but when a school of Oncorhynchus attack at once, their would-be aggressor quickly loses speed and stamina from bloodloss, drowning if it cannot breath underwater.

Domesticated

Like many of the smaller fish found on or around the Island, Oncorhynchus can not be tamed, but it is often herded and raised for its resources. In particular, certain cuts of Oncorhynchus meat are considered superb quality, and are often referred to as “Prime Fish” used for specific high-end concoctions.

View full article

Just now, Brodart said:

Ah, this is a bit underwhelming. It seems like a mix between the coelacanth and the piranha, and its only use is to be a resource.

Agreed. It'll be nice for variety purposes, but after the previously thrilling reveals we've had (Archaeopteryx, Megalosaurus, Titanosaur, and Chalicotherium) this one is very underwhelming.

Still looks like a pretty interesting thing nonetheless.

9 minutes ago, DahDerpasaur said:

Hordes of people want basilosaurus = "meh"

one or two people want saber-tooth salmons = "This seems like a good creature"

I bet they'll save Basilosaurus for last. Just because that will make the hype train really take off. With these lesser wanted dossiers they're probably more so getting these guys out of the way for the bigger reveals. Possibly giving us a couple treats along the way. (Titanosaur I'm looking at you, you too Chalicotherium)

Also I wouldn't say they made the suggestions thread because they're running out of inspiration/ideas or want us to fill in the final few slots. (which I'm sure we've got at least 15 dossiers, gotta remember we have the Desert Biome fillers) I'm pretty sure they did that just to clear the clutter of random threads of creature suggestions, and to make it more official.

Just now, FaneBlackwing said:

I bet they'll save Basilosaurus for last. Just because that will make the hype train really take off. With these lesser wanted dossiers they're probably more so getting these guys out of the way for the bigger reveals. Possibly giving us a couple treats along the way. (Titanosaur I'm looking at you, you too Chalicotherium)

Hopefully Basilo gets into the game, instead of creatures that are suggested literally twice.

1 minute ago, DahDerpasaur said:

Hopefully Basilo gets into the game, instead of creatures that are suggested literally twice.

I mean, one person suggesting something so off the wall weird could really spark some inspiration for the devs when compared to something they hear about everyday, so I guess it makes sense they'd take a couple random suggestions such as this and incorporate them into the game.

1 minute ago, FaneBlackwing said:

I mean, one person suggesting something so off the wall weird could really spark some inspiration for the devs when compared to something they hear about everyday, so I guess it makes sense they'd take a couple random suggestions such as this and incorporate them into the game.

Well, I don't hate it, it just angers me that two people managed to get it in when literally almost most of the fanbase wants the basilo.