Boss Fight: Alternatives to Rexes?

LilNastyGurl

2 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

With proper leveling, does a 400 health initial difference really even come into play?

On spinos it's not so much the initial difference as it is also the massive difference in what they gain per wild level. It makes it so that the difference in health between a rex and spino only increases with level.

Also, I hadn't noticed the Mega taking increased damage during the buff. That's a shame :(

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

With proper leveling, does a 400 health initial difference really even come into play?

The difference in the stat increases the more levels they have in it though, which I think also means that Rex gets more when you level it in hp as well. I honestly wish the Spino was an option for boss fights, but with the terrible hitbox (they consist of Velcro) and the lower base health, we've never really bothered to use them.

I don't know how it is properly as I tend to cheat my socks off.

So here is some opinions and ideas.

Considering how much weaker dinos are without riders could it simply need a few rex's to hang back and rotate them out as needed and have some Daeodon healing the injured rex's.

Maybe there could be some designated tanks sitting in front of the boss while a few damage dealers sit behind and chomp away.

The Yutyrannus could be thrown into the mix and buff the rex's if there's no cap on resistance the 40% damage resistance from the Yuty the 30% damage resistance from imprint bond and the 33% damage resistance from mate boost in addition to the resistance the saddle provides all these resistance combined could negate all incoming damage assuming there is no cap, and a nice 103% damage output boost.

I have not tested these because as stated I cheat/abuse admin commands.

That's all for now.

18 hours ago, CyanicEmber said:

Simple answer: yes. The health added per level when domesticated is a percentage instead of fixed number. So a level 1 spino has 700 health and get's 5% per level increase. this would make a total of 700 + 70x(700x0.05) = 3150

A level one rex has 1100 health with 5*increase so the calculation becomes: 1100 + 70x(1100x0.05) = 4950

Additionally the rex gaines 220 health for every added level on health in the wild while the spino only gets 140, this will make the difference even bigger.

On 7/19/2017 at 2:26 PM, CyanicEmber said:

Sadly, Megatheriums takes massively increased damage when their buff is active. I've no idea if it's intentional or a bug but it makes the Broodmother fight untenable. 

For some reason your comment got stuck in my head and I just did some testing:
Not only do Megatheriums no longer take increased damage, they take decreased damage. I tested this by getting on my megatherium and tank another megatherium.
When my Mega had the buff, it took 75% less damage, and when the wild Mega's buff was active he also took 75% less damage. After the buff ended they both took normal damage.

The damage in question was dealt by my trusty shouldermounted vulture. It deals about 193 damage and it did ~48 vs the wild mega when the buff was active. Buff gone -> 193 damage.

So uhm, maybe give the Megatherium another go vs the Broodmother? :P

1 hour ago, Jognt said:

For some reason your comment got stuck in my head and I just did some testing:
Not only do Megatheriums no longer take increased damage, they take decreased damage. I tested this by getting on my megatherium and tank another megatherium.
When my Mega had the buff, it took 75% less damage, and when the wild Mega's buff was active he also took 75% less damage. After the buff ended they both took normal damage.

The damage in question was dealt by my trusty shouldermounted vulture. It deals about 193 damage and it did ~48 vs the wild mega when the buff was active. Buff gone -> 193 damage.

So uhm, maybe give the Megatherium another go vs the Broodmother? :P

...I will do that. I'm also in process of testing the viability of Megalosaurus pack night raids on Bosses. They have higher base damage than Rexes and comparable health. With Yuty buff they may actually outperform Rexes. We'll see...

Sorry to  have to tell you this... but the fire damage from dragon still does 25% health to herbivores.  I brought multiple herbivores when I did my testing in v262 and they all took the 25% health damage. Was always 25% no matter the saddle, boosted, imprinted and ridden. Would be a cool addition to the fights, but sadly it is not there atm.

Spinos are like trophy tames. Even high level ones, at base are still poo compared to a rex with the same amount of rolls into health/damage. They should atleast be on par with rexxes. Such a shame =/

On 7/19/2017 at 10:27 PM, CyanicEmber said:

It really does, as levelling health is usually a percentage of the initial health.  5.4% to be precise.  That means the spino will always be waaay behind the rex on health.  Even if you didnt level melee at all, the spino will have less hp than a rex that only spends half it's levels on hp.

23 hours ago, ifixxed said:

Spinos are like trophy tames. Even high level ones, at base are still poo compared to a rex with the same amount of rolls into health/damage. They should atleast be on par with rexxes. Such a shame =/

On land? No. Spino shouldn't perform as well as the Rex on the Rex's own turf. That goes against both realism and game balance. Rex is already useless in the water unlike Spino.

2 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

On land? No. Spino shouldn't perform as well as the Rex on the Rex's own turf. That goes against both realism and game balance. Rex is already useless in the water unlike Spino.

Compared to a rex, the spino has one advantage, especially against alpha raptors. The spino has a knockback which makes it possible to kill the raptor without receiving much damage. Also the spino doesn't get stuck on every pebble and is always able to outmaneuver a rex and attack from the back.

spino's are the 4x4 amphibian monstertrucks of ark :Jerblove:

Sadly against bosses this doesn't help :( 

14 minutes ago, Lockjaw said:

I suspect that there will eventually be a dlc boss with an arena designed to allow amphibious creatures to shine.

I dont think this will happen. There are not many amphibious creatures, the spino would be the only option then.

I think they may add a underwater boss fight, in which case the spino again is a very weak choice, even more so than on land. Because the other underwater tames are much more powerfull. Pretty sure Tuso would'nt be able to enter the arena, but still mosa, plesio, basilo, they are all much stronger than spinos.

Spinos just need a massive buff in health to bring them to rex level.

I would even like to see them a bit stronger than rexes, they are much more rare, so it makes sense from a balancing point of view.

11 minutes ago, Thorium said:

I dont think this will happen. There are not many amphibious creatures, the spino would be the only option then.

I think they may add a underwater boss fight, in which case the spino again is a very weak choice, even more so than on land. Because the other underwater tames are much more powerfull. Pretty sure Tuso would'nt be able to enter the arena, but still mosa, plesio, basilo, they are all much stronger than spinos.

Spinos just need a massive buff in health to bring them to rex level.

I would even like to see them a bit stronger than rexes, they are much more rare, so it makes sense from a balancing point of view.

They have much more mobility, better knock back, attack faster..., thus the lower health,  this topic has been discussed to death..

Archived