Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

yeah im sorry but except for a few of the mega tribes that destroy any chance of competition, no one has a base that has been in one piece for over 2 years. And without a full server wipe the ones that are not wiped will be able to take over the new servers easily. thus to keep it fair a total wipe including obelisk data would be needed.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For everyone that thinks a wipe would do anything, how long would it fix it for?  24 hours?  Servers will be pretty much exactly back the way they were within days.  And it works just fine.  Just look at the new DLC map.  Completely clean 24 hours ago, now look at them.  Sure maybe people will have to grind from scratch after a wipe but with mutton and boosted rates you have pretty much everything you need day one and be mass producing day 2.  By weeks end everything is exactly back where it was.  And going on about duped items, its been so long now, think of it as something you ate that isn't so good.  Sure it hurt at the time but your system cleaned itself out bit by bit.  By the time official release hits I truly doubt there will be anything much in the way of duped items around anywhere.

• Volunteer Moderator
12 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

For everyone that thinks a wipe would do anything, how long would it fix it for?  24 hours?  Servers will be pretty much exactly back the way they were within days.  And it works just fine.  Just look at the new DLC map.  Completely clean 24 hours ago, now look at them.  Sure maybe people will have to grind from scratch after a wipe but with mutton and boosted rates you have pretty much everything you need day one and be mass producing day 2.  By weeks end everything is exactly back where it was.  And going on about duped items, its been so long now, think of it as something you ate that isn't so good.  Sure it hurt at the time but your system cleaned itself out bit by bit.  By the time official release hits I truly doubt there will be anything much in the way of duped items around anywhere.

Much logic in this one.

A wipe may temporarily fix what some people seem to view as serious issues. The fact of the matter is the effects of that wipe will last days/weeks. Then it's business as usual on most servers.

The only thing you really would have accomplished is pissing off many PVE players who don't compete with other people and don't need a wipe.

And to somebody's credit who brought up the fact that this game was sold to the PS4 crowd as a complete and finished game, I would be pretty damn mad myself if I paid for a finished game, begun playing it for months and then had everything wiped.

50 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Much logic in this one.

A wipe may temporarily fix what some people seem to view as serious issues. The fact of the matter is the effects of that wipe will last days/weeks. Then it's business as usual on most servers.

The only thing you really would have accomplished is pissing off many PVE players who don't compete with other people and don't need a wipe.

And to somebody's credit who brought up the fact that this game was sold to the PS4 crowd as a complete and finished game, I would be pretty damn mad myself if I paid for a finished game, begun playing it for months and then had everything wiped.

This has been stated many times and the logic is sound if a mega tribe or even an alpha gets wiped they are more than likely stay together and rebuild faster than a bunch of brand new people or even 2 or 3 man tribes cause they know what to tame, breed, and build plus location better than most PVP. PVE most complain about the pillars used but to be truthful get off the beach or try not building on resources and you'll find plenty of space to build (PVE uses pillars to control the lag from multiple bases being built on the beaches and protect resource nodes) Not to be mean to a new player on PVE but move around a bit off the beach and stop begging the moment you join a server and you'll find that most will be nicer to you.

I found a couple threads, but did not see any definitive answers from the Dev team that I could find. I know every single Alpha/Beta I have ever been a part of, ever, has wiped there servers..  Just wondering if that is happening. If anyone could steer me to an actual Dev comment/article/podcast, that would be cool. Official servers are overrun with pillars I know, building spots are few and far between.. at least every server with a playable ping to me has no beach real estate for even 25 dinos, much less 300 or 500 o.0, but to stay on topic.. servers getting wiped? 

The most sensible answer in my view is not to wipe the existing servers at all. Wildcard have stated they "have the resource" to provide new servers and when the game hits retail, there will have to be some new servers because there will be a number (whether that's large or small, who knows how many potential customers are left given the game has been around for 2 years and is very popular?) of new players who purchase the retail physical/digital game in August. It's clearly unfair to ask these guys to compete in the existing server environment.

If what they say is true regarding money, then they really don't need to wipe the servers - as has already been proposed they just leave the current block as they are (termed 'legacy' or whatever) and prevent any transfers or interactivity between the new ones. If you want a wipe, just abandon your current server and create a character on one of the new ones at launch - it's the same thing, you start over either way. Those people who want to keep the stuff they've worked on for however long can be left alone to do that, it doesn't hurt anyone. If they want to play with a character on both old and new server environments then why not let them, it's their life they're wasting with the manic situation that would create :D

A wipe will not "fix" anything, it's literally the same as doing what I've said above but has the problem of pissing off a large portion of the user base which is largely unnecessary. If you want a wipe, then you can go create a new character on one of the new servers and have the same result. If your character on the 'legacy' server is one day gone because that server had just 1 or 2 people on it every couple of days and has therefore been removed (or re-purposed into the new server pool) then you shouldn't care anyway because you're playing on the new server.

This is the reality of a wipe:

14 hours ago, DeningWei said:

Like I said, if they have the money the alternative solution is the easiest route to go down (provided it's actually possible to prevent transfer between old/new, of course).

This doesn't answer the OP's question, but maybe provides an idea of what the studio could be debating as it's not a simple choice.

LOL i can't beleive this thread is still going.. and going ... and going

Well my 2 cents:

Wipe em all and put all servers into clusters, 3of each map, 5 of each map or whatever...

Give everyone a fresh start and will help stop Alphas and megas from running through server after server wiping and wiping. This way there is still transfers for alpha wars and trading, new people may have chance to compete and really building up in this game is great fun. And it only makes sense to me that on release everything would start fresh, after all EA will be over

18 minutes ago, StoneD said:

LOL i can't beleive this thread is still going.. and going ... and going

Off course it is still going on when Kayd Hendricks gave his interview 4 weeks ago he startet the discussion again. Until that day I was under the impression, that Jeremy’s word from 2016 was good and there would be no wipe at the release.

When I bought the game on PS4 last year I only startet because they told us we would keep our progress on the release. Otherwise I would have just waited for early access to be over.

Don’t get me wrong, I see why having a wipe on the release date would have be a good idea (at least for the PC servers) but they told us they would not wipe and we acted on that.

That’s why it is a big deal when Hendricks tells us now, that they discuss a full server wipe.

Regarding PS4 a wipe would make no sense at all. We all had a fresh start last year. Since than we build up because we were told that we could keep our stuff.

I believe clusters are a solution for this, 5 of each map on a cluster, or 10 of each map, etc... On official release I believe everything should be wiped, yes the big tribes would grow faster, but the OP dinos would be gone, the duped items would have gone byebye.

There are tribes out there that will never ever need to farm again, because they either duped stuff, or raided someone who duped stuff, while us suckers are spending 90% of our playtime farming, and these guys can just demolish some elevator platforms and they're good for another month.

A wipe is necessary, a lot has been screwed up.

21 hours ago, Kijle13 said:

No server wipes

Jat has said this before.  Most of the questions above are asked almost daily and get answered almost daily.  Use the search feature at the top of the forums before asking what seems like it would be a very common question because it probably is.

Not true. The writing is on the wall

20 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Much logic in this one.

They like don't have to wipe the PVE servers if they wipe the PVP ones.

Just sayin..........

As for server wipes: they'll happen.  The "What would it achieve?" argument doesn't really hold up.  sure there will be some Alphas who just get stuck in and own their server again by day 3, but new players will still have seen them achieve that through hard work and that they at least started on equal footing.  If on the other hand the new players that release might attract log in and just get trolled endlessly by Alphas on Gigas for poops and Gigs you can bet that they'll leave a negative review and warn all their friends the raptor away from Ark.

On the other hand with a wipe I'd imagine plenty of the current generation will leave for other games so there won't be so many of the "let's own the server by day 3" players about to ruin servers for new players.  If they can replicate the game experience plenty of us had back in July 2015 then they'll be onto a long-term winner.  A whole population levelling up slowly through the wood and stone tiers is what made this game great, all the quetzal box bollocks ruined it by early 2016.

So to make this happen they need to open new servers and damn well promise that they will never be linked to the current crop.  This will attract all the new players and most of the non-alphas.  The alphas will move across or quit within 2-3 weeks and WC will close most of the old clusters with little blowback because no-one will be on them.

Server wipes by proxy.  That's good enough for me.  And yeah, don't wipe PVE/PS4 or whatever...........

5 hours ago, Wedge84 said:

Off course it is still going on when Kayd Hendricks gave his interview 4 weeks ago he startet the discussion again. Until that day I was under the impression, that Jeremy’s word from 2016 was good and there would be no wipe at the release.

When I bought the game on PS4 last year I only startet because they told us we would keep our progress on the release. Otherwise I would have just waited for early access to be over.

Don’t get me wrong, I see why having a wipe on the release date would have be a good idea (at least for the PC servers) but they told us they would not wipe and we acted on that.

That’s why it is a big deal when Hendricks tells us now, that they discuss a full server wipe.

Regarding PS4 a wipe would make no sense at all. We all had a fresh start last year. Since than we build up because we were told that we could keep our stuff.

Remember in march also, even though Jeremy and Jesse said they are "leaning" towards new servers they also said there might be a wipe and no official decision has been made yet.

you also forgot that kayd didn't just start the convo again, he also said when it came time for a vote that he would vote yes for the wipe, and that he does have a vote.

so right now the only thing we know for sure is that there will be a vote and we do know that atleast one dev will vote yes. Anything other than that is pure speculation 

20 hours ago, Bulldogfrag said:

been answered no wipe

False. And even if you want to quote what they said over a year ago it wouldn't matter because their stance has changed a couple of times since then.

if you want to take their word as gospel then just look at the early access info that everything is subject to change. And that means everything, including what they said a year ago.

believe me I do feel for you guys, I know you don't want to see it. I know you will cling to everything you can to believe it no matter how old the info is. I have been basing everything I say on recent events. And I have more reasons. 

I have yet to see anybody show me anything except the one statement over a year ago. That doesn't show anything especially after hearing the devs talk about it over the past year. Aug 8th will be here before you know it

6 hours ago, TranqRex said:

A wipe will not "fix" anything, it's literally the same as doing what I've said above but has the problem of pissing off a large portion of the user base which is largely unnecessary. If you want a wipe, then you can go create a new character on one of the new servers and have the same result. If your character on the 'legacy' server is one day gone because that server had just 1 or 2 people on it every couple of days and has therefore been removed (or re-purposed into the new server pool) then you shouldn't care anyway because you're playing on the new server.

This is the reality of a wipe:

Like I said, if they have the money the alternative solution is the easiest route to go down (provided it's actually possible to prevent transfer between old/new, of course).

This doesn't answer the OP's question, but maybe provides an idea of what the studio could be debating as it's not a simple choice.

Except as we have seen, the new servers, unless they are 100% seperate, will just be absorbed into the mega tribes on day one. thus just creating a new character on them wont work. Its fairly simple to fly around a map and place turrets which prevent fresh spawns and poof its their server.

1 minute ago, Demonshadow said:

Except as we have seen, the new servers, unless they are 100% seperate, will just be absorbed into the mega tribes on day one. thus just creating a new character on them wont work. Its fairly simple to fly around a map and place turrets which prevent fresh spawns and poof its their server.

And besides anything that anybody has said, dev or forumer, regardless. 

If they weren't thinking about a wipe they would have stayed strong on their stance of not wiping. They would have said in march and 4 weeks ago "there will not be one" that is not the case at all.

i think new servers would be a waste of money and the sad part is, if they would have made ragnarok a paid DLC they would have had more money for the new servers? So why not charge for it? 

6 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

i think new servers would be a waste of money and the sad part is, if they would have made ragnarok a paid DLC they would have had more money for the new servers? So why not charge for it? 

Probably because it was largely made by modders not WC itself.  Selling modder content tends to end badly for most game developers in lost reputation.

5 minutes ago, Volcano637 said:

False. And even if you want to quote what they said over a year ago it wouldn't matter because their stance has changed a couple of times since then.

if you want to take their word as gospel then just look at the early access info that everything is subject to change. And that means everything, including what they said a year ago.

believe me I do feel for you guys, I know you don't want to see it. I know you will cling to everything you can to believe it no matter how old the info is. I have been basing everything I say on recent events. And I have more reasons. 

I have yet to see anybody show me anything except the one statement over a year ago. That doesn't show anything especially after hearing the devs talk about it over the past year. Aug 8th will be here before you know it

I know the idea of a server wipe excites you not sure why unless you fall in the category of a one who's been wiped by an alpha tribe multiple times. I've seen you post about this topic several times also clinging to hope that they will wipe the servers even though you yourself said you don't play anymore( don't feel like going through these to find that post you made) waiting for full release. All it seems you are providing to this conversation is gas to the fire on a situation that none of us will know till Aug. 8 As for those of us who do play they've seen Jat and a few Mods also comment about not wiping the servers so that is all the information we have to go on and considering the source we feel that they have better information than you do. We thank you for your opinion on the topic hope your wrong but we'll see won't we.

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived