Server Wipe

Killbolt
Message added by Jerryn

Let's stay on topic and not make this personal.

Note:  Responding to an off topic comment is also off topic.

3 minutes ago, arkark said:

I laugh when one of the reasons to wipe is "because of exploits". Guys, Windows XP that has 17 years since release STILL has severe bugs that can compromise it. And the group that developed it is orders of magnitude much more skilled that any wildcard developer, or any developer from an indie studio as a rule.

Seriously, you are entering in a wipe spiral if u thing that wiping server will solve the former exploits, because more and more will come, and sure a lot of them are being used in the wild without WC ever being noticed about.

Exactly people got it in their head wiping is going to solve all kinds of problems it's going to do nothing but reset legit players and the same exploiters will find new ways or use old ones that devs don't know about to get back to what they were while legit players struggle to catch back up

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, OGCookies said:

Exactly people got it in their head wiping is going to solve all kinds of problems it's going to do nothing but reset legit players and the same exploiters will find new ways or use old ones that devs don't know about to get back to what they were while legit players struggle to catch back up

This ^^ people read this.

Its the same thing for mega tribes, people complain that the servers need a wipe because huge alpha tribes are controlling all the pvp servers. People who have been playing from early access will always have an advantage over those who start playing at official launch.

The mega tribes will still be doing there cross ark metal runs on x number of servers, there base/bases will be huge before you have tuned your 4x4 thatch to stone.

Mega tribes of today will still be mega tribes after a wipe.

2 minutes ago, myksta0121 said:

Its the same thing for mega tribes, people complain that the servers need a wipe because huge alpha tribes are controlling all the pvp servers. People who have been playing from early access will always have an advantage over those who start playing at official launch.

The mega tribes will still be doing there cross ark metal runs on x number of servers, there base/bases will be huge before you have tuned your 4x4 thatch to stone.

Mega tribes of today will still be mega tribes after a wipe.

hyperbole for the win!

4 hours ago, Irk said:

PvE is in desperate need of a wipe.

I quit months ago, and completely gave up on this game thinking that after a few updates, I could return and start over with fresh content. That's not happeneing; every PvE server I spawned in to (meaning the servers I visited, not every server on the list) in the hour and a half of me picking servers led to me being spawn trapped in someones base, unable to get far enough inland as a low level in order to build a hut, unable to build remotely near character spawns, etc.

PvE has a huge problem; all the players that have been around for a while aren't going anywhere, and this leaves no room for new players. PvE needs a wipe, and it needs more structural limits. A handful of players shouldn't make it impossible to play on a server with bunches of pillars and foundations.

Or new non - transferable servers for newbies. No need to destroy everyones hard work.

Some tribes have dubed so much with 10 known glitches(they wont share with adminstrators) (create a id tag/serial number for all items, and dinos) that some tribes have tek items into the 1000s. If not roll out Phase 2 servers, with more administration, and better Preventive security to stop ddossing(static ips).

2 hours ago, arkark said:

I laugh when one of the reasons to wipe is "because of exploits". Guys, Windows XP that has 17 years since release STILL has severe bugs that can compromise it. And the group that developed it is orders of magnitude much more skilled that any wildcard developer, or any developer from an indie studio as a rule.

Seriously, you are entering in a wipe spiral if u thing that wiping server will solve the former exploits, because more and more will come, and sure a lot of them are being used in the wild without WC ever being noticed about.

Windows XP Support was discontinued in 2013.  They dont even run XP machines on campus for testing anything new.

Pvp and PvE server (and character) wipes is needed.  

Those at the top have had huge advantages to get there EVEN if they didnt cheat.

Flyers, Weightless farming, access to Engrams at lower lvls that are now in the 90s and out right bugs.

Wipes are needed.  If wild card loses old players they dont care, they have their money, new players they dont yet and if they dont wipe there will be fewer new players.

13 minutes ago, XtulkusX said:

Pvp and PvE server (and character) wipes is needed.  

Those at the top have had huge advantages to get there EVEN if they didnt cheat.

Flyers, Weightless farming, access to Engrams at lower lvls that are now in the 90s and out right bugs.

Wipes are needed.  If wild card loses old players they dont care, they have their money, new players they dont yet and if they dont wipe there will be fewer new players.

If people didn't buy games because of rumors and posts about glitches and bugs nobody would own a game nice try but your point just doesn't work

New player issue;

Solution: create new player only servers. Very simpl fix. 

Duped items issue;

Solution: remove duped items after the exploit has been fixed. In some cases that may involve wiping certain tribes as a whole. Does not require a full server wipe on every single server, even those that are not suffering from this exploit. But the exploit needs to be solved first. Same reason you don't ban people for exploiting until it'l has been fixed. They will just find ways around the ban and continue exploiting. 

None of this requires a full server wipe, and certainly does not require a full wipe of every official server. Believe it or not some servers are perfectly fine. 

45 minutes ago, OGCookies said:

If people didn't buy games because of rumors and posts about glitches and bugs nobody would own a game nice try but your point just doesn't work

You didnt even read my post if you think bugs in general was the sol point of my post.

I was talking about the advantages Old players (mainly Alphas) have over newer players.

There was a list of 4 things and you zoom in on ONE of them AND didnt even understand what I was talking about...

35 minutes ago, Nokosa said:

New player issue;

Solution: create new player only servers. Very simpl fix. 

Duped items issue;

Solution: remove duped items after the exploit has been fixed. In some cases that may involve wiping certain tribes as a whole. Does not require a full server wipe on every single server, even those that are not suffering from this exploit. But the exploit needs to be solved first. Same reason you don't ban people for exploiting until it'l has been fixed. They will just find ways around the ban and continue exploiting. 

None of this requires a full server wipe, and certainly does not require a full wipe of every official server. Believe it or not some servers are perfectly fine. 

You cant just take away the dupe items.  They are normal items.  There creation is a bug but the end item is a normal item.  You cant take away the ground gained by those that duped.

Items get traded, gifted, who was the cheater and who was not?

Wipe fixes all of this.

Just now, XtulkusX said:

You cant just take away the dupe items.  They are normal items.  There creation is a bug but the end item is a normal item.  You cant take away the ground gained by those that duped.

Wipe fixes all of this.

Actually you can. The devs can distinguish legitimately acquired items from illegitimately acquired ones. This has always been a thing, as far back as I can remember. Hell, even ol' EverQuest devs were able to pinpoint duped items.They can see where it is, where it came from, how many hands it passed through - all of it.

1 hour ago, Nokosa said:

Actually you can. The devs can distinguish legitimately acquired items from illegitimately acquired ones. This has always been a thing, as far back as I can remember. Hell, even ol' EverQuest devs were able to pinpoint duped items.They can see where it is, where it came from, how many hands it passed through - all of it.

LOL Sure that is why Wildcard has banned entire servers.  because they KNEW everyone on that server was cheating.  Nope they banned the server because it was better safe then sorry.

Also the DB cost and coding involved to track EVERY Item is stupid and costly.  They dont I can assure you.

16 minutes ago, XtulkusX said:

LOL Sure that is why Wildcard has banned entire servers.  because they KNEW everyone on that server was cheating.  Nope they banned the server because it was better safe then sorry.

Also the DB cost and coding involved to track EVERY Item is stupid and costly.  They dont I can assure you.

I never said they would, I said they should. They can, they just don't. 

11 hours ago, Volcano637 said:

Good to see this many posts the first thing when I wake up. Unfortunately, there are a few that are spreading toxicity in my thread. It's not appreciated 

Your thread? I thought Killbolt's thread? I suppose you might as well own it now as you keep bumping it to life and own about a third of the screen real estate here ???

2 hours ago, XtulkusX said:

Wipe fixes all of this.

I seriously doubt after all this time that there are much in the way of duped items left.  Rss expenditure is insane and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of duped stuff would have worked it's way out of the system by now.

8 hours ago, Irk said:

PvE is in desperate need of a wipe.

I quit months ago, and completely gave up on this game thinking that after a few updates, I could return and start over with fresh content. That's not happeneing; every PvE server I spawned in to (meaning the servers I visited, not every server on the list) in the hour and a half of me picking servers led to me being spawn trapped in someones base, unable to get far enough inland as a low level in order to build a hut, unable to build remotely near character spawns, etc.

PvE has a huge problem; all the players that have been around for a while aren't going anywhere, and this leaves no room for new players. PvE needs a wipe, and it needs more structural limits. A handful of players shouldn't make it impossible to play on a server with bunches of pillars and foundations.

That would be solved by more spawn points for noobs and a suicide option for first minute upon spawning.  Or just better placement when spawning.  After a wipe any old bob or joe can build a thatch house over a spawn.

I travel to many servers on foot and it's always pretty easy for me to find a way to walk to an obelisk 

7 minutes ago, DeningWei said:

Your thread? I thought Killbolt's thread? I suppose you might as well own it now as you keep bumping it to life and own about a third of the screen real estate here ???

Yes my thread. My thread got merged with this one and most of the pages were from my thread. I really wish they would have just merged it right but oh well.

plus I don't bump it. I come back here to reply to people either quoting me or someone coming on here to discuss.

and as far as the posts go o am on a mobile phone so I can't do the whole multi quote thing. Every time I try it messes up

1 minute ago, Volcano637 said:

Yes my thread. My thread got merged with this one and most of the pages were from my thread. I really wish they would have just merged it right but oh well.

plus I don't bump it. I come back here to reply to people either quoting me or someone coming on here to discuss.

and as far as the posts go o am on a mobile phone so I can't do the whole multi quote thing. Every time I try it messes up

Yeah I guess if you reply to everything that explains it.  My mistake I apologize

• GP locked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 unlocked this topic

Archived