How do you get lots of black pearls?

Samammo

yep, squids and alpha mosa are your underwater options for large amounts. ammonite and eurypterid also drop some but considerably less. your on-ground option is spawning a deathworm. i know you're trying to avoid spawning but it's the least glitched option (i mean no eels/squids). but loot can be random so black pearls are not quaranteed every time. 

Alpha Mossas and squids are the way to go. You could also try something I found interesting on the gamepedia site. 

Another way to hunt them is to hit one with a Grappling Hook and then use a fast water mount to drag it to the shore, where it can be harvested by a Therizinosaurus for extra pearls.

http://ark.gamepedia.com/Black_Pearl

Edit: We have tried it on official and if you have a power pumped Theeriz it does work well.

5 hours ago, l4m3r said:

1 Alpha Mosasaurs gives 100 Black Pearls 

Problem is if you want to kill him its not that easy Huge Amount of Hp  Solid DMG and very fast straigth forward. 

Would a mosa that hits for about 550 and has about 35k health be good enough to kill an alpha mosa? We only have primitive saddles so far. 

try looking around where the underwater cave entrance is often i find alpha mosa stuck on the ledge or in the rock where they can't fight back

used to use my spino to kite them into the first air pocket bit of the underwater cave (that leads to the undergound and S jungle), from there you can attack them from on land

3 hours ago, Samammo said:

Would a mosa that hits for about 550 and has about 35k health be good enough to kill an alpha mosa? We only have primitive saddles so far. 

Should be able to handle like up to lvl 60-80 maybe? Id pick on the low end alpha mosas just to be safe, iv killed lower level ones with good plesios, but my personal preference for smashin alpha mosas/squids is tamed squids.

Are squids supposed to drop them every time? I killed like 5 squids (granted they were low lvl, highest was 80) And I only got pearls from 1 of them, i did look for packs, even looked on the ground under it in case they fell. I was even swimming up so that I would see the dark pack against the light sand and saw nothing.

14 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

Are squids supposed to drop them every time? I killed like 5 squids (granted they were low lvl, highest was 80) And I only got pearls from 1 of them, i did look for packs, even looked on the ground under it in case they fell. I was even swimming up so that I would see the dark pack against the light sand and saw nothing.

I always make sure to drop everything I don't need on me so my weight is low, and then I try not to actually eat the body once I kill the squid, this seems to help as sometimes you won't get loot if you have too much weight on you when you kill the squid.

Archived