New Engram UI in 257 == Terribly Developed, not thought out at all.

Vas

This is the worst UI update I've ever seen in my life.  Its clunky, slow, unnecessary animations that lag you down further preventing you from learning more engrams.

I mean, its worse that they added a mechanic to learn all pre-reqs in one go and then disabled it before you can use it, at the same time resetting your level for kicks and giggles.  "Lets disable this so people have to click 200+ times to get their engrams back after we reset their levels.  HAHA that'll be funny."  (The official reason being: "Server-side: Disabled "Learn Prerequisites" Engram button (temporary)." which doesn't list why they disabled it...)

The UI for the engrams list is now bigger, everything's spaced out more so you have less items on your screen, and text so big Professor Farnsworth can read it without glasses on.  I mean, if you made the text any bigger, you'd need a theater to read the engram unlocked.

Out of all the things you had to downgrade the UI of, why did it have to be the engram list?  Yes, this is a downgrade, its worse, not better.  Pointless animation plays after every unlock that slows down the next unlock, preventing you from speedily unlocking a lot of them.  Everything's spread out more, on a per level column instead of being organized better.

What we need, is a new OPTIONS screen, not a new engram screen.  Your options menu is the worst in gaming history.  One page with every possible option in the entire game all garbled up in one area.  Missing tons of options because you can't fit anymore on it.  Yet you go and change the engram screen instead.

The Engram screen, should have been more intuitive.  To help people who specialize towards a certain feature, instead its just more random than before.  I don't want to see Saddles, at all, anywhere in my engram list.  I do not learn saddles, ever.  Except for the quetz platform, which you took away from me, thank you very much....  I am a builder I want structures to be shown to me, not weapons or miscellaneous tools, structures.  The game forces you to pick and choose what you want to learn, because you can't learn everything, so I assumed in a future update the developers would be working on making a class system to help people organize the engrams into what they would actually consider learning.  A tree that would help a builder learn buildings, or a tree that helps armorers learn the armor sets.  A tree to help survivalists learn the basics for survival (weapons, tools, some armors like Ghillie).  But nope.  Just a clusterrandom of things organized horribly.  Thank you.

Thats the end of my rant...  For now.  I haven't actually checked anything else out yet....  Too pissed off about my engram list being horrible and now I have to bust my ass learning everything all over again and I have carpal tunnel.  Thanks so much...

EDIT:

Oh hey, they did it again, a second wipe just because.  I heard it was because players didn't know they were wiped and put a bunch of levels into stuff by accident, so they did a second wipe to help those people who weren't paying any attention.  Punishing those of us who did pay attention.  Thanks Wildcard.

I did find that they also changed the spawn map UI, and this is the one change I can say for sure actually looks nice.

I agree there should be an optional way to organize the engrams, if you want.  There should be a way to organize it like the inventory and crafting folders.  But I think it would be a massive mistake to force everything into trees and then have those different trees not all viewable together.  There are many people who learn more than one specific type of thing; and multitudes of non-official which give you more points and allow you to learn everything.  They should not have the engrams auto organize into different trees...then only show one tree at a time, it should be an optional feature.  Having to jump back and forth between different specialty trees would be MUCH worse than it is now.  And remember, the game is still being worked.  Specially with the new UI they are now able to add more to it, and they have been changing it (better or worse) :)  They are still adding so much that switching gears to optimize everything, then switch to release, then switch to optimize everything....it would take about 4 times to complete.

I didn't say hide things from other trees, just let the player be able to choose a tree they wish to focus on, then switch over to a different tree to learn something else or search for an engram in specific.

Basically, you start with the old engram list, showing everything in the logical order that you'd normally unlock it.  All things that require something else, come after their requirements regardless of what level they claim to be unlockable at.

Then, you click the "Show as trees" button.  It drops down several tree buttons to choose from and you click something like "Builder" to reveal only structures.  Some of these trees would include some of the same items, so builder tree would show camp fire, while survival tree would too.

I'm gonna use the word stupid here. I'm not calling the devs stupid though, just this.... thing they've created.

Strongly Agree, this is ugly and stupid. Turning off the prerequisite thing from the start, whilst nuking people's learnt engrams was a REALLY stupid move, it's not fun learning all the engrams one by one when you've made the choice to use a mindwipe, let alone being forced into it. It wouldn't be so bad if you hadn't have mentioned the auto pre requisite learning feature at all; but to mention it and disable it is unfathomably odd to me! (you spent the time to implement this prerequisite thing why even bother if you're gonna turn it off!?) 

So now you've forced us to re-learn everything one by one; at least we can look forward to a sensible streamlined way of learning them one by one.... oh... wait..... I learnt five of the 100+ engrams I have to learn one after the other and THE WHOLE SCREEN IS COVERED IN ENORMOUS CYAN TEXT (at least it's ascendant engrams I'm learning ;)).

Like I'd actually be really interested to know the thinking behind this and how the current engram trees and visuals when learning the engrams were reached. Did no one at any stage take a step back and look at the UI as a part of a user's screen and be like Oh wow this is all over the place and really unintuitive and unhelpful.

IMO it is literally worse than before. LOADS worse!

All that was really needed was the new trees put on the old engrams menu, would have been 3X better and clearer! (And to activate the feature you spent time creating, ffs!)

1 minute ago, Vas said:

How do you learn ascendant engrams?  There aren't any.  Everything you learn is primitive from the start, ascendant things come from BPs.

I was making a joke about how ascendant bp's are cyan like so much of the other text. So it's like we're learning ascendant engrams coz they come up in cyan as well.

So I just got done playing a little while ago, and getting the update now.  I havent been able to actually see it yet.  But I agree with both of you.

1. Have an option to enable, say, a 'Builder tree'

2. Being forced to relearn everything, the whole screen is ENORMOUSE CYAN TEXT.

I hate that everything is blue on blue, shaded with blue, then blueprints and everything else is....well...blue.  I use Structures Plus, so now I get to go through and relearn every single buildable item twice.

--Edit: After using the new engram UI, I like it.  Perfect...maybe not.  But WAY (WAY!!!) better than it was before.

4 hours ago, Vas said:

This is the worst UI update I've ever seen in my life.  Its clunky, slow, unnecessary animations that lag you down further preventing you from learning more engrams.

I mean, its worse that they added a mechanic to learn all pre-reqs in one go and then disabled it before you can use it, at the same time resetting your level for kicks and giggles.  "Lets disable this so people have to click 200+ times to get their engrams back after we reset their levels.  HAHA that'll be funny."  (The official reason being: "Server-side: Disabled "Learn Prerequisites" Engram button (temporary)." which doesn't list why they disabled it...)

The UI for the engrams list is now bigger, everything's spaced out more so you have less items on your screen, and text so big Professor Farnsworth can read it without glasses on.  I mean, if you made the text any bigger, you'd need a theater to read the engram unlocked.

Out of all the things you had to downgrade the UI of, why did it have to be the engram list?  Yes, this is a downgrade, its worse, not better.  Pointless animation plays after every unlock that slows down the next unlock, preventing you from speedily unlocking a lot of them.  Everything's spread out more, on a per level column instead of being organized better.

What we need, is a new OPTIONS screen, not a new engram screen.  Your options menu is the worst in gaming history.  One page with every possible option in the entire game all garbled up in one area.  Missing tons of options because you can't fit anymore on it.  Yet you go and change the engram screen instead.

The Engram screen, should have been more intuitive.  To help people who specialize towards a certain feature, instead its just more random than before.  I don't want to see Saddles, at all, anywhere in my engram list.  I do not learn saddles, ever.  Except for the quetz platform, which you took away from me, thank you very much....  I am a builder I want structures to be shown to me, not weapons or miscellaneous tools, structures.  The game forces you to pick and choose what you want to learn, because you can't learn everything, so I assumed in a future update the developers would be working on making a class system to help people organize the engrams into what they would actually consider learning.  A tree that would help a builder learn buildings, or a tree that helps armorers learn the armor sets.  A tree to help survivalists learn the basics for survival (weapons, tools, some armors like Ghillie).  But nope.  Just a clusterrandom of things organized horribly.  Thank you.

Thats the end of my rant...  For now.  I haven't actually checked anything else out yet....  Too pissed off about my engram list being horrible and now I have to bust my ass learning everything all over again and I have carpal tunnel.  Thanks so much...

not everyone shares your "engrams to see" desire...

The new UI [engrams] is a big step forward. Now everything is organised, I don t need to scroll up and down 3 times until I find what I was looking for. they are all clearly listed at every level easy to see....easy to click.....

To put them back again you need 5 MINUTES, MAYBE 10 TOPS it s such a DILOING terror for sure. Now at least you learn an armor set all at once and the pieces are aligned.

It sucks that they have modified the levels where you learn stuff [rocket launcher at 87...] But I guess the progression makes more sense

What I dislike is the fact that it s still necessary to get lvl 90 for chemistry bench, yet u learn flamethrower and flamethrower ammo at 65...makes no sense for single player at least....

I disliked the general UI revamp alot, but this revamp of the engram UI is really well done and sorted. ergonomical I would say

also YOU HAVE A FILTER BUTTON, jsut type there ado and you find all adobe structures for example..don t even need to write the whole word

jeez, the things you people get angry on....

edit: to satisfy you, they could add some tabs up, survival, tools , structures, saddles etc...but I really don t see it necessary..whatever

1. Since you were replying to the topic, you didn't need to quote the entire main post.

2. Everything is not organized.  How is "organizing" it by level, organized?  I have pieces of thatch building here and more pieces in the next level, kinda mixed about amongst my engrams.  Plus, when you add mods to the picture it gets even worse and you can see how truly hideous this system is.

3. I don't want to use the filter every single time I want to unlock stuff.

4. You left out the issue of the new UI being slower.  The devs had added a checkbox to options menu once for disabling menu transitions because they realized that these transitions took time and caused players grief when they needed to access their inventory quickly.  Now you have the same slowdown effect with engrams, wen unlocking multiple, there's a delay between each because of this shiney new animation sequence which was never necessary to begin with.

1 hour ago, Vas said:

1. Since you were replying to the topic, you didn't need to quote the entire main post.

2. Everything is not organized.  How is "organizing" it by level, organized?  I have pieces of thatch building here and more pieces in the next level, kinda mixed about amongst my engrams.  Plus, when you add mods to the picture it gets even worse and you can see how truly hideous this system is.

3. I don't want to use the filter every single time I want to unlock stuff.

4. You left out the issue of the new UI being slower.  The devs had added a checkbox to options menu once for disabling menu transitions because they realized that these transitions took time and caused players grief when they needed to access their inventory quickly.  Now you have the same slowdown effect with engrams, wen unlocking multiple, there's a delay between each because of this shiney new animation sequence which was never necessary to begin with.

sorry I usually quote

Compared to before, where it was a mess of engrams in a wall of pictures it is organised now...

well the additional pieces of thatch [sloped engrams 3] are after because you learn them at another level [can t understan the reasoning behind this, maybe to have alot of engrams on lvl 4 and 5]. But still you find them really close to the other ones

I discovered the filter recently...it s magic for me.

I don t know , what makes it slower? Before I was searching for something, and scrolling up and down even three times because I would miss the engram I needed [might be a problem of mine] I really do not understand what you mean. I have no lag on opening the menu, nor learning an engram. The animation upon learning I find quite nice...Whenever I reset I learn the engrams I need pretty quickly, but not so quickly so that the animation slows me down...even if it would it s 1 second per engram...

I think these improvements can be made :

1. Rearrange some engrams so taht they are all together [like thatch sloped roof with the rest of the thatch, or wooden wall sign with the rest of the wood] Can t find any reason why adobe windowframe is learned 5 levels later than the rest...

2. Maybe add tabs for engram cathegories : weapons, structures, misc, saddles, tools...

5 minutes ago, sooTi said:

WildCard, Can I ask why last night after the patch you had your engrams able to be learned by double-clicking (Learn all up to this tree), and now 12 hours later you've removed it? 

This was hands down one of the best additions you had made to the tree, and yet now it's gone. Why?

because they F***ed it up.... it was giving you the later engram without learning all the prereqs and then double charging you to relearn them.

Yeah what a way to troll us,  change the engrams to unlock so slow, then ruin oxygen state to force a mindwipe,  then after you relearn everything so slow,  force a respec so we have to do it again.

This is the game I play,  use mindwipe,  lay down on floor and Try and learn all your engrams before you DC from the game, I bet you can't do it 

2 hours ago, Gumbercules007 said:

My biggest issue with the new layout is how it now puts all the Mod Engrams in with the base Engrams.  I would have liked it if all the Mod Engrams remained at the bottom of the lists organized by the Mod they belong to.

In a way, I like this, but it now means that modders have to stop being lazy and change up their engrams to match more closely with the base game, like for example how one of the mods I use, has everything default to level 1.

Structures Plus, is another example where the engrams are making this new layout horrible.  Orionsun appears to have set his up in a custom way to work with the old UI, which looked great in its ordered fashion.  Now, with the new UI, its horrible.  All his stuff apperas before you even get the default stuff.  Of course that could also be because Wildcard decided to make the game "harder" by making everything learnable later on.  I mean if you dumped me on an island, I wouldn't need to level up 5 times just to figure out how to make a hut....  However I'd need lots of levelups on how to turn plant fiber into cotton clothing of such fine quality. >.>  Logically speaking.

2 hours ago, Rancor said:

I've almost thrown Asc items on the ground because of this :/ 

Its ok only if you do it in front of me so I can have them.

2 hours ago, Voidstar said:

I don t know , what makes it slower?

Its slower for me noticably.  I've used mindwipe many times in the past so I know there's a difference when using this new system, having to go through and select everything again in rapid succession.  1 second difference is a lot too.  I mean, think about it.  You got 120 things to learn again, you did that in about 45 seconds previously.  Now, you add 120 seconds to that 45 seconds, plus things are more spaced apart and LOTS more scrolling is required adding another minute or two..

1 hour ago, Blackwolfe said:

Also yes, I totally agree that the options UI needs a serious revamp! It's one of the worst option menus I've ever seen.

Not to mention, when trying to look for a hotkey to reassign, I tried to scroll and accidental set 12 things to unassigned and one random thing to scroll down because the key checkers are constantly listening, instead of waiting for you to click it first and THEN click the key you wish to assign.  Like all other games in the world, to prevent accidental key changing.

1 hour ago, PoliScikosis said:

Absorbent Substrate now learned at level 86.... but you cannot learn it because they moved Chem Bench (the prereq) to level 90....

Also....Night Vision Googles at level 84 cannot be learned until level 86 Substrate is learned, which as I said, cannot be learned until level 90.

Shows you just how much they are paying attention to their own game eh?  Like 5 random people changing engrams up randomly and no one's confirming anything.

Archived