Why flying making content trivial isn't a bad thing.

Lumitesi

24 minutes ago, iAmE said:

Tell that to the Developers. They've already stated that the PvE experience is the driving force behind the Flyer nerf. 

Pvp has a pve experience. My point tho is that the experience in a pve only server is slave to the balancing or gameplay that goes on in an effort to improve pvp servers. Pvp servers should always be unaffected by any change needed on a pve server

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tycoon01 said:

Pvp has a pve experience. My point tho is that the experience in a pve only server is slave to the balancing or gameplay that goes on in an effort to improve pvp servers. Pvp servers should always be unaffected by any change needed on a pve server

What I am saying is that the developers have explicitly disagreed with you. Not the people in this thread. 

1 minute ago, iAmE said:

What are Bears used for to do anything? They're the fastest decent combat mount, but they're not exactly good, or the best, at anything. I was talking about something like Metal Farming. Sure, there are metal nodes within 5 minutes of my base, but if I want to do anything major, like actually build more then 15 walls, I have to head to one of the major metal areas, namely mountains or the Volcano. Then I have to bring something to mine with (An Anky, good luck walking an Anky to any of those places, or even to half the nodes on the mountains) and something to haul it back (Because you know, Ankys encumber themselves with one tail swing). Or we could talk about farming Flint/Gunpowder. Again, you can get small amounts of it nearby, but for any major amount of anything, you need to venture far away from most bases. Same thing with Charcoal/Wood. 

Realistically, I think, as a PvP player, the game is imbalanced. I need to spend weeks preparing the resources to do half a days worth of PvP, and that's with Quetzal Farming. I would like to see that get sped up. Not slow down.

They've got really good weight, so I'd just load mine up with metal from nearby nodes. With me going to my locations, and tribemates off at theirs, we pulled in very decent amounts of it without ever going up a mountain. The person nearby had the Ank, while the others farthest away from the base used MC Metal Picks (we all had very good melee). Then again, you're speaking from a PvP standpoint and I'm still talking PvE. No real need to build metal walls. 

Flyers trivialize content? Hahahahah.  Flyers make it easier to get from one point to another, stage yourself there, then go out on foot or a dino and enjoy the content.  Recently since everyone is so pissed at you they've gone to play Conan I've been flying my latest of all 3 wyverns or riding a Baryonx (yes! haha) around finding all the explorer notes just because it's fun.  Are you going to force all the GPS coordinates to be removed from the web so finding all them isn't "trivialized"?

I spend half my taming time carrying things to a taming pen; the other half building a house around my flyer and another for whatever I just knocked out to keep it from being decimated by the first carno or compy to wander by a half mile away.. you land your flyer to do something, you better protect it.  I've lost so many pteras to random being knocked down a cliff by wolves then I immediately die after rather than being able to kill all six and escape.. annoying after carefully breeding and I love the fun of breeding and working around the base while I imprint.  The nerf had better be server settings or I know a couple unofficial servers that will shut down and I won't be buying any more DLC from you.  It's not like it's a shared world with thousands of people and you decided it's unfair for a certain population - my server, my fun.  Make some more of your 'experimental' games and see how many people flock to them. I look at that list a few times a day, no taming, and see no more than 11 on any one of them any hour day or night.

Watch your population vanish on official and people begin to teleport everywhere on unofficial.  The whole point of getting to the levels to use flyers is to manage the day to day stuff and get to the high level content - I'm *not* going to spend hours riding around unless we're spending all afternoon and sometimes night going to all the caves and not wanting to load up The Fourth, our awesome quetz that only took three others dying by terror birds (and a stray headshot of tranq dart against low hitpoints so we didn't need him anyway) to get a good tame.  I fly to the NW and NE caves, lock up my wyvern or tapjera, and walk into those caves.  No way I'm walking a dino from our main base to *either* of those.

These are all examples - there is all kinds of content, not trivialized, right in there. Let the players choose; you can already disable flyers in server settings. Just because we've found cool ways to use certain things - and people don't have nomad camps with brontos and castroides because again, a random Rex or Theriz will run across six city blocks to come eat them and they'd die as soon as you log off - doesn't mean you have to punish us.

14 minutes ago, Anakr0n said:

Flyers trivialize content? Hahahahah.  Flyers make it easier to get from one point to another, stage yourself there, then go out on foot or a dino and enjoy the content.  Recently since everyone is so pissed at you they've gone to play Conan I've been flying my latest of all 3 wyverns or riding a Baryonx (yes! haha) around finding all the explorer notes just because it's fun.  Are you going to force all the GPS coordinates to be removed from the web so finding all them isn't "trivialized"?

I spend half my taming time carrying things to a taming pen; the other half building a house around my flyer and another for whatever I just knocked out to keep it from being decimated by the first carno or compy to wander by a half mile away.. you land your flyer to do something, you better protect it.  I've lost so many pteras to random being knocked down a cliff by wolves then I immediately die after rather than being able to kill all six and escape.. annoying after carefully breeding and I love the fun of breeding and working around the base while I imprint.  The nerf had better be server settings or I know a couple unofficial servers that will shut down and I won't be buying any more DLC from you.  It's not like it's a shared world with thousands of people and you decided it's unfair for a certain population - my server, my fun.  Make some more of your 'experimental' games and see how many people flock to them. I look at that list a few times a day, no taming, and see no more than 11 on any one of them any hour day or night.

Watch your population vanish on official and people begin to teleport everywhere on unofficial.  The whole point of getting to the levels to use flyers is to manage the day to day stuff and get to the high level content - I'm *not* going to spend hours riding around unless we're spending all afternoon and sometimes night going to all the caves and not wanting to load up The Fourth, our awesome quetz that only took three others dying by terror birds (and a stray headshot of tranq dart against low hitpoints so we didn't need him anyway) to get a good tame.  I fly to the NW and NE caves, lock up my wyvern or tapjera, and walk into those caves.  No way I'm walking a dino from our main base to *either* of those.

These are all examples - there is all kinds of content, not trivialized, right in there. Let the players choose; you can already disable flyers in server settings. Just because we've found cool ways to use certain things - and people don't have nomad camps with brontos and castroides because again, a random Rex or Theriz will run across six city blocks to come eat them and they'd die as soon as you log off - doesn't mean you have to punish us.

You said exactly how I feel/ think about it too..

I have had enough of the packs of dire wolves, and Allo's, and the friggin little thieves...and never mind the swamps, and Water attacks. The redwoods is infested with terror birds, and carnos, I am lucky to even enjoy a few moments on the ground, by myself

I play single player, and a small tribe, on different maps, PC, and Xbox, Unofficial, and official.

I work my butt off, just to get a half decent game going, and die more from bad game mechanics....and now you want to nerf the flyers!

If it wasn't for flyers, I would have given up, a long time ago...and, I have never had a Quetzal. 

I don't have all day to play, and when I do, I want to be free to fly around the map, and watch all the action going down, be thrilled, and excited, making plans, on how I am going to tame that high level Dino...

I am not a fighter of the human kind...i just want to play with the Dino's, explore, and build stuff.

7 hours ago, Argleksander said:

I dont see how thats relevant in this case, in WoW you only used flying mounts for getting around and in that case also it trivialized the game once you got them. There was a reason you only could unlock them once you reached the new max level for each expansion.

Look at this for example..

quetz.jpg

You mean this example that is explicitly forbidden in the server rules?

3 hours ago, Lumitesi said:

This. It's all the same. You cannot defend a flyer nerf due to trivializing content without going into ground mounts too.

Also, this thread was about trivializition not being a bad thing. Sometimes it's good for gameplay experience. Sometimes you just want to go from A to B, fast and without a hassle. Sometimes you wanna grab your Rex or Saber and run the swamps. Taking away our choice won't make the game better.

So tell me what a Galli is really subjected to? Which animals can really catch up or even get to you unless you are holding W and looking somewhere else? Also if Pteras get Barrel roll nerfed what else other than travel will they be useful for? And is Argy or Quetz speed that high that it's a problem they are useful for other things?

Ok cool try raising 3+ babies on your own then we'll talk about it :) (and no I'm not complaining that it is too hard) also this is getting off-topic, no point going on with this subject.

The primary danger to a Gali, especially a speed trained one, is that they react to changes in elevation by using it as a ramp and jumping like it's in Hazzard County (That's a Dukes of Hazzard reference for any of you younger people in the thread. You should watch it. Good clean entertainment) Fall damage is extremely dangerous. Also their turning radius is absolutely terrible, so you're going to run into things, and thus stop, and probably get eaten because your mount is only good at running.

Earlier, someone said that running a Bronto caravan is hard because they get stuck on each other. That's true, if you don't set their follow distance a little higher, and have each one following the one in front of it instead of all following whatever you're riding. Paracers are easier to use for this purpose due to lacking a tail... A tail that is only solid when it's inconvenient for you... But their lower carry weight means you need more of them.

I can't wait to do a before and after video of metal farming. It'll probably go something like this:

Before;

20 Minutes to wipe the Volc of Metal with a Quetzal, 15 Minutes to fly back to base

After;

45 Minutes to wipe the Volc of Metal using an Anky+Whip, 20 minutes to load it into 4 Seperate Brontos, 90 Minutes to walk it back to base

Soundslikefun. 

2 hours ago, iAmE said:

You are being partial, because you aren't being objective.

The objective reason Flyers are the most popular mode of transportation, is because they are the fastest. Not the safest. That is what Wildcard has deemed an issue. Not "Safety". They said it invalidates most of the Ark "Experience", Ark's experience isn't about danger. Once you have a decently fast Raptor, or a 60+ Rex, there is almost 0 danger in the hands of someone with eyes. 

You are the one being partial.. they are the fastest because they are the safest.. I literally just flew my quetz completely across a pvp server while not being in the room.. your argument is invalid.. i have MANY tames that would beat any of my flyers in a race if they had wings.. seriously..

4 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

You are the one being partial.. they are the fastest because they are the safest.. I literally just flew my quetz completely across a pvp server while not being in the room.. your argument is invalid.. i have MANY tames that would beat any of my flyers in a race if they had wings.. seriously..

So you're basing your entire argument on "If my tames had wings they'd be faster". And you say my argument is invalid? Yours doesn't even exist in a logical way.

But they don't have wings.

Maybe.

That's why.

They.
Move faster?

I have absolutely no doubts that I am not being objective. That isn't the discussion. These dinos aren't "Fastest" because they're "Safest". They're fastest because they ignore the whole terrain aspect, which easily doubles, or triples, the amount of area a ground mount has to cover to get to the same place as a flying mount.

I play official PvE Prim + and my first base was near the red obs. That sort of area is obviously very common for new players to start building as it's relatively safe and all the early game mats are nearby. Eventually though you gain experience, explore more places on the map and realise there are better places to live. Suddenly the things you want to craft need mats from way away and doing the runs to get them becomes a bit of a long thing so you decide to up sticks and move.

I've just done this myself. I've moved from the red obs to right up near smugglers pass (if you sail north, land at the edge of the snow biome just past carno island and then follow the snow line inland for a few minutes you'll hit my place). I used my birds to carry all the fences, gates, walls, foundations etc I needed to build the place. It took a while sure but I was in no hurry. I'd head up there fully laden, potter around for a while doing what needs doing then head home later stopping off a the beaver dams on the way. All in relative safety from the Scorpions, Rex's wolves, sabertooths and family of Allo's that live in the area. 

If that option, to use the fliers, wasn't there for some reason or was impractical then I'm sure I probably wouldn't have bothered moving. I'd either have just expanded my initial base more and more or maybe gone further along the southern (safer) shore until I found somewhere nearby that allows me to build bigger. The thought of travelling the whole map on ground dinos every day or trying to tame new ones up there would have been enough to make me say "nope, this place is actually ok for me after all".

Nerf them too much and the southern island will eventually become overcrowded.

4 hours ago, iAmE said:

Realistically, I think, as a PvP player, the game is imbalanced. I need to spend weeks preparing the resources to do half a days worth of PvP, and that's with Quetzal Farming. I would like to see that get sped up. Not slow down.

I thought you played on boosted unofficials? ...Nevermind.

Yeah, the problem with PvP on this game is that you have to do so much prep-work ahead of time. Hours and hours getting combat ready dinos, farming dinos, and building your base, all of which can be killed permanently and instantly before you're even ready. Grind grind grind, and when it's finally time to fight, it's majorly underwhelming. It's not a "hop on with some friends and have a few battles" kind of game. It's a "build up for one giant "battle" that may or may not be a disappointment",

At least on Officials. Never played boosted rate PvP enough to get a good taste.

Man I hate writing these posts, I put too much thought into them.

4 minutes ago, LilNastyGurl said:

I thought you played on boosted unofficials? ...Nevermind.

Yeah, the problem with PvP on this game is that you have to do so much prep-work ahead of time. Hours and hours getting combat ready dinos, farming dinos, and building your base, all of which can be killed permanently and instantly before you're even ready. Grind grind grind, and when it's finally time to fight, it's majorly underwhelming. It's not a "hop on with some friends and have a few battles" kind of game. It's a "build up for one giant "battle" that may or may not be a disappointment",

At least on Officials. Never played boosted rate PvP enough to get a good taste.

Man I hate writing these posts, I put too much thought into them.

I play on Unofficials, Officials, PvP mainly. Realistically, friends come and go, but a large group of them just couldn't handle Official rates anymore, and I play unofficial with them, but official with my main group. 

Unofficials are good for PvP, but there is a sense of satisfaction for playing Official. 

7 hours ago, iAmE said:

So you're basing your entire argument on "If my tames had wings they'd be faster". And you say my argument is invalid? Yours doesn't even exist in a logical way.

But they don't have wings.

Maybe.

That's why.

They.
Move faster?

I have absolutely no doubts that I am not being objective. That isn't the discussion. These dinos aren't "Fastest" because they're "Safest". They're fastest because they ignore the whole terrain aspect, which easily doubles, or triples, the amount of area a ground mount has to cover to get to the same place as a flying mount.

Mine easily exists.. you're not just evading terrain.. you're evading spawns, other players,  bases, etc etc.. flying is super easy thoughtless mode,  even on pvp let alone pve.. You gain so much more imersion through the ground aspect. I hear ppl being like they won't log in at times because things would take too long,  congratulations ppl, ark is a time consuming game, the more they add the more it will be so, get used to it..

16 hours ago, akamurk said:

They need to keep pvp nerf's the fk out of pve. It's been a problem for destiny and it will be a problem for any game that cannot separate pve from pvp when it comes to nerf's. How stupid are these people? 

The problem in that case is that even on PvP servers, flying tames trivialize the PvE aspect of the game the most. That's why the nerf (hopefully) is going to affect the PvE aspect of the game greatly and no it's not mainly a PvP fix. PvE is too easy with flyers, period. This does have an effect on PvP but it's marginal.

Why adding metal spawns with interesting content in between when players just ignore it and fly back and forth to the mountains?

i love hearing PVE players discuss this matter, they deliberately choose a mode that literally sais VERSUS ENVIRONMENT and when a change is to be implemented that could POTENTIALLY up the difficulty of the environment aspect of the game they all lose their minds. 

look at it this way people you will get to play against the environment even MORE, isnt that great? you get an even better PVE experience :)

1 hour ago, BobRoss said:

could POTENTIALLY up the difficulty of the environment aspect

sorry, but I can't see difficulty increase in that. I only can see LOOOOOOOOONG and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING travels. yep. instead of quetzal caravan from volcano I can just make a caravan of 4 paracers and two gigas to protect them - and only danger left is dinos stuck in rocks and sleeping on keyboard.

Just now, [EG] Comdriver W31 said:

sorry, but I can't see difficulty increase in that. I only can see LOOOOOOOOONG and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING travels. yep. instead of quetzal caravan from volcano I can just make a caravan of 4 paracers and two gigas to protect them - and only danger left is dinos stuck in rocks and sleeping on keyboard.

by reducing air travel players will perhaps opt to travel by ground or sea, thus increasing the ammount of environment you encounter. if its all out of laziness why dont you request the devs to implement a backpack that ignores weight entirely and has an inbuilt ability to travel anywhere at any time without cost? because in the end thats all PVE players want apparantly. getting things done in as little time possible and by means that require no skill or difficulty

23 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

thats all PVE players want apparantly

yep. I want to build, breed pets and fight bosses for new structures. isn't that what sandbox pve for?

23 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

increasing the ammount of environment you encounter.

and if I want to encounter environment - I do it and use appropriate tools/dinos for that. when I want to build - I farm volcano and move metal with flyers. why should I do something I don't want to if that doesn't affect others on my server?

11 minutes ago, [EG] Comdriver W31 said:

yep. I want to build, breed pets and fight bosses for new structures. isn't that what sandbox pve for?

sandbox means you are free to do what you want withing the boundaries of the game, pve means Player vs Environment, but thats not what you want apparantly because any environmental encounter is 1 to many, thats why you are so dependant on fliers, you skip all encounters. the title still sais survival evolved, not sim city

Just now, BobRoss said:

you may have to actually explore the island soon

lol. the only part of the basic game where I wasn't on my feet is the dragon arena and two new underwater caves. with enough run speed I can run from one part of the island to another without any dino/gps/compass. naked. me and my friend do that for fun time to time. try to use mind wipe and put all your points on speed and a bit for health (you'll fall off cliffs alot). also we take health drinks/food and sometimes wear red cloth armor. that's the fun. really, try it ;)

6 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

to each their own

and this is good. there shouldn't be only ONE play style.

Archived